Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Cosby has done it again!

quote:

BILL HAS GONE AND DONE IT AGAIN...

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English.
I can't even talk the way these people talk:
Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...
And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.
And then I heard the father talk.
Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.
In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an Education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.
The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.
These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids.
$500 sneakers for what?
And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.
Where were you when he was 2?
Where were you when he was 12?
Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol?
And where is the father? Or who is his father?
People putting their clothes on backward:
Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?
People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?
What part of Africa did this come from??
We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa .....

I say this all of the time. It would be like white people saying they are European-American. That is totally stupid.
I was born here, and so were my parents and grand parents and, very likely my great grandparents. I don't have any connection to Africa, no more than white Americans have to Germany , Scotland , England , Ireland , or the Netherlands . The same applies to 99 percent of all the black Americans as regards to Africa . So stop, already! ! !
With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap ......... And all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.
We have got to take the neighborhood back.
People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.
We have millionaire football players who cannot read.
We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We, as black folks have to do a better job.
Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.
We have to start holding each other to a higher standard..
We cannot blame the white people any longer.'

~Dr.. William Henry 'Bill' Cosby, Jr., Ed..D.

WELL SAID, BILL
It's NOT about color...
It's about behavior!!!
I want to post this bit in response:

quote:

Critics also fear that citing failures of lower-income blacks to make the most of educational opportunities and to eschew choices that limit potential for success (poor use of language, early parenting, often unpartnered) gives white people the much-welcomed easy out of declaring themselves devoid of any responsibility for the cause or continuation of black poverty in America: "See? It's not us that puts them in the ghettos or keeps them there, it's them." Such disavowal, while comforting to those who instinctively seize it when it appears to have been offered, ignores the possibility of racial economic disparity's being the result of a combination of contributing factors rather than an either/or "If you did it, then I didn't" proposition.
But I know it would go right over his head :negative:

quote:

When Barack Obama met with Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of England , he asked her

"Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government?
Are there any tips you can give me?"
"Well," said the Queen,

"The most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people."
Obama frowned, and then asked,

"But how do I know if the people around me are really intelligent?"
The Queen took a sip of champagne.

"Oh, that's easy; you just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle, watch"
The Queen pushed a button on her intercom.
"Please send Tony Blair in here, would you?"
Tony Blair walked into the room and said,
"Yes, your Majesty?"

The Queen smiled and said,

"Answer me this please Tony.
Your mother and father have a child.
It is not your brother and it is not your sister.
Who is it?"
Without pausing for a moment, Tony Blair answered

"That would be me."
"Yes! Very good." said the Queen.

Obama went back home to ask Joe Biden the same question.
"Joe, answer this for me."

"Your mother and your father have a child.
It's not your brother and it's not your sister.
Who is it?"
"I'm not sure," said Biden.

"Let me get back to you on that one."
He went to his advisors and asked everyone, but none could give him an answer.
Frustrated, Biden went to work in congressional gym and saw Paul Ryan there.

Biden went up to him and asked, "Hey Paul, see if you can answer this question."
"Shoot Joe."
Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister.
Who is it?"
Paul Ryan answered,

"That's easy, it's me!"

Biden smiled, and said, "Good answer Paul!"
Biden then, went back to speak with President Obama.
"Say, I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle."

"It's Paul Ryan!"
Obama got up, stomped over to Biden, and angrily yelled into his face,

"No! You idiot! It's Tony Blair!"

...AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS PRECISELY WHAT'S GOING ON AT THE WHITE HOUSE
Yup, a free market fundamentalist thinks that the UK has an astoundingly efficient government.

One more from this guy.

quote:

Sadly, major radio stations wouldn't play it because it was considered politically incorrect'.
Consequently, the song was never released to the public.
May 30, 2011 9:12am
A song some radio stations are banning, the song you are about to listen to, was played at a Las Vegas Diamond Rio concert.
They received an immediate resounding standing ovation, and continue to do so every time they perform it!
Sadly, major radio stations wouldn't play it because it was considered politically incorrect'.
Consequently, the song was never released to the public.
Now Congress is getting involved.
Your President is saying that is not fit for release because it offends so many.
So America , see what you think...

If this offering speaks to your heart and you feel you want to share it with friends and loved ones, please do so now.
*some dumb-gently caress country song about how God is loving everywhere in the united states*
That's too bad the radio stations don't even consider how those who do believe in God feel about it. 10% of the country gets their say, the rest of us don't.
Who will think of the poor oppressed Christians who never get their way :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Cosby has done it again!

Bill Cosby actually did say that one.. :negative:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/cosby.asp

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

I am aware. My second quote box came from snopes. I cant really attack Cosby for what he said, but this gently caress who posted it on facebook is like an 80 year old white dude who often times boarders on white nationalism.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

quote:

When Barack Obama met with Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of England , he asked her

"Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government?

I love how with this story you can know in the first two lines to just stop reading. It's efficient.

Myst Hat
Jul 10, 2004
It's also incredibly lazy. The whole "joke" is a madlib with five topical name blanks in it. You can almost see where "Bill Clinton" and "Al Gore" have been crossed out.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Who will think of the poor oppressed Christians who never get their way :qq:

Ah this would be the lovely "in god we still trust" song that was recorded in 2006 - http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/diamondrio.asp

Of course, if you link this he'll immediately home in on the bit about the judge stopped it being played at a school.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Myst Hat posted:

It's also incredibly lazy. The whole "joke" is a madlib with five topical name blanks in it. You can almost see where "Bill Clinton" and "Al Gore" have been crossed out.

It's literally generational; I've seen the exact same joke except with GWB and Cheney, and I'll see it again with President Christie and VP Rubio if that's who we get in 2016.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Myst Hat posted:

The first time I read this joke, it was Bush and Cheney. I don't recall people making fun of Clinton for being stupid. Then again, I was in elementary school at the time, so I could be mistaken.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Welp, this happened.

Starts with some false equivalency, adds a dash of "reverse racism" and "personal responsibility"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Honestly the only response you really need to all that is "No, I have privilege because I don't need any of that to still come out ahead of minorities without even trying very hard."

And then link the resume study or something.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Yup, a free market fundamentalist thinks that the UK has an astoundingly efficient government.

Because Tony Blair and Barrack Obama are totally in power at the same loving time. And Joe Biden would give two shits what Paul Ryan, a man he conclusively proved he is smarter than on live TV, thinks.

I hate it that this is a thing. That conservatives are half-assing repackaging Bush jokes. Of course, could be worse, they could try to come up with actual Obama jokes, where every punchline is friend of the family.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

vyelkin posted:

Honestly the only response you really need to all that is "No, I have privilege because I don't need any of that to still come out ahead of minorities without even trying very hard."

Here's a study that says Tony Blair is implicitly considered more American than Obama.

This is before birtherism was even a thought in Orly Taitz's nutty brain.

EDIT: Heh, Devos and Banaji 2005...apparently science is almost to a point they could have predicted birthers.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 16, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Edit: Sorry, misread the responses.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I am aware. My second quote box came from snopes. I cant really attack Cosby for what he said, but this gently caress who posted it on facebook is like an 80 year old white dude who often times boarders on white nationalism.

It's like that one Chris Rock sketch. A black man discussing what he feels about his community that has been misappropriated by old racist fucks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Cosby: We cannot just blame white people for all of our problems; we also have to take responsibility for our own actions.

Cosby didn't say, because everyone in the room already knows: That said, we need help; it is sometimes literally impossible to both be a good parent and give a child, or children, the attention they need AND put food on the table. In addition, it's not a situation in which you can just blink and WILL the people to become responsible. It takes long-term solutions because it's a long-term problem. How do you expect people to become good parents if they themselves are the product of a miserable childhood, environment, and education? People can't teach what they don't know. (But what I'm saying is, we've got to take the first step and admit that it's a problem.)

Some people's interpretation of Cosby: It's not that a disproportionate percent of black people are poor and uneducated, it's that a disproportionate percent of poor and uneducated people are black!

(Is that last bit there too subtle? Both are true, technically, so I'm really not sure if I made my point correctly.)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Michelle Alexander in The New Jim Crow makes a pretty good point about such sermonizing. Everyone in the room realizes they're saying good, important things, but white people act like it's surprising that black men want to be good fathers. She goes on to argue that the real elephant in the room is the fact that the entire criminal justice system is aligned against black men, period, and it's hard to be a good father when you're in prison or destitute or a released felon, which huge numbers of black men are.

That book is really good but man it's depressing.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Gen. Ripper posted:

It's literally generational; I've seen the exact same joke except with GWB and Cheney, and I'll see it again with President Christie and VP Rubio if that's who we get in 2016.

I'm pretty sure you can do that with 99 percent of all political jokes.

I read Dead Funny a few months ago, and one of the jokes the book mentions could work just as well today if you swapped out the names:

quote:

A mortally wounded soldier is about to die and calls a nurse. He says, “I’m going to die as a soldier and I’d like to know for whom I’ve given my life.” The nurse answers: “You are dying for the Führer and the German people.” The soldier asks, “Can the Führer come to my bedside?” The nurse says: “No, that’s not possible, but I’ll bring you a picture of him.” The soldier tells her to put it on the right-hand side of his bed and then says, “I was in the Luftwaffe.” So the nurse brings him a picture of Göring and puts it to the left of the bed. Then the soldier says, “Now I can die like Jesus.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:psyduck: I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I'm not big fan of Obamacare either, but how can someone be so deluded?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gradenko_2000 posted:

:psyduck: I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I'm not big fan of Obamacare either, but how can someone be so deluded?
Obamacare, liberal plan hatched by the Heritage Foundation.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

vyelkin posted:

welp:

some racist posted:

In response to your links I would only have this to offer; In todays society we have allowed political correctness to put up too many walls to true scientific investigation. If I were to produce a study saying there was no racial bias in hiring practices I would be deemed a racist. If I step forward and say Trayvon was more guilty of an illegal act than Zimmerman was because he assaulted him I am undoubtedly called a racist. In an environment such as that I can't accept the validity of any pseudo academic study. Especially one of such a small sample size and quite frankly a preposterous investigational technique like black sounding names. But, even if you do ascribe to these studies results, you still cannot deny or ignore the reverse racism present in todays culture, led first and foremost by a liberal media. From endless frivolous racial lawsuits (crackerbarrel restaurant comes to mind) to the asinine actions the federal government takes.

and apparently this from 2011:

http://lonelyconservative.com/2011/03/obama-admin-makes-dayton-oh-police-department-lower-standards-to-accommodate-minorities/

is this a real thing?

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 16, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Well, it's pretty much hopeless trying to argue with him if his response to literal scientific studies is "That science is wrong because my gut says so." Confirmation bias won't let him accept any evidence that disagrees with his own racist worldview. That being said, it may still be worth at least some response in case anyone 'on the fence' is reading the conversation.

For example, since he brought up Zimmerman, you could mention that Stand Your Ground laws are disproportionately used to justify white people killing black people, but that even without them white people are still several times more likely to be given a verdict of justifiable homicide, because of systemic racism in American society and the justice system. Similarly to how 'black' crimes like crack possession are punished so much more harshly than 'white' crimes like cocaine possession, or how the War on Drugs is used to enforce racism through the law (black people are three to ten times more likely to be arrested, tried, and sent to jail for drug crimes as white people, despite similar rates of drug use).

Or about the Ohio police thing, did it ever occur to him that maybe the police legitimately were discriminating against black candidates by grading them more harshly and preventing them from being considered for hiring? If an all-black police department conveniently found that all white applicants failed their test and couldn't be hired, it would be an enormous scandal and probably 'evidence' that the Obama DoJ was racist, just like this supposedly is. Remember that supposedly objective tests being used to disenfranchise black people has a long history in the United States. You could also always ask him why he automatically believes the local sheriff's side of the story over the Department of Justice's side... could it maybe be because the local sheriff is white and the DoJ is headed by a black man and commanded by a different black man?

The problem with bringing any of this up with said racist is that any evidence you can present will either be ignored or somehow twisted to fit his worldview, because that's what the brain does when presented evidence doesn't match a preexisting belief. But again, it's not really for him but for the invisible third party observer.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Yes
Straight from the horse's mouth.
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/February/09-crt-172.html

Check the date Thursday, February 26, 2009. That dastardly Obama works quickly, don't you think?

The reality is obviously more complicated, but basically the testing they were using violated the Civil Rights Act because when it was introduced the number of minority recruits passing dropped from about 25% to 6%, and they could not demonstrate that this standard to be "job related and consistent with business necessity, in accordance with the requirements of Title VII."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oooh I know! I know! When a white teenager was murdered, the police didn't need a media blitz to shame them into charging the killer.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh! Is Marley's killer currently sitting in jail? Is that it?

Or is it that he wasn't hunted down and murdered because he was white.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Oooh I know! I know! When a white teenager was murdered, the police didn't need a media blitz to shame them into charging the killer.
I dunno how people miss the point so hard that they almost end up making it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People don't "get" the difference. The only thing that matters to them is media sensation since there couldn't possibly by an imbalance on how the system itself operates in regards to members of different segments of society. Lion's death triggered an immediate reaction to find the killers and at no point did anyone infer that he might have caused his own death by being the aggressor. The real story of Martin and Zimmerman and why it's a national issue isn't about the killing but the gross difference in how the justice system, from the police to the court to the prison, handles the killing of a white teenager to that of a black one along with the slander of the deceased and the profiling that led to the killing. No one felt the need to look into Lion's facebook history to find that he may have done something stupid or "bad" that teenagers do; just that he was an honor student. Zimmerman's trial wasn't his own, it was the trial of the kid he killed and why it was acceptable.

I know that mostly this is preaching to the choir but the way that macro is going so far over the head of the person that made it is infuriating.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
My brother posted a picture of a white girl that was killed by two black boys and stuffed into a garbage can saying "how did this not get national attention". I came in telling him that because the suspects were found and charged days later and with pretty good evidence they'll be charged. Compared to the Zimmerman case where it took months of police bungling for any sort of charges and court over supposed self-defense killing.

I also mentioned that for every big story, there's always going to be dozens or hundreds of stories like it that don't rise to the top for varying reasons. My brother and his right-leaning buddies actually liked my comment. I'm slowly starting to get him to understand that just because it's posted online on Facebook, doesn't mean you assume everything to be related. He's starting to get that he should Google poo poo and read news stories on the subject.

He also stopped sharing Uncle Sam's Misguided Children poo poo because I told him a lot of their poo poo is bigotry and people hoping for riots so they can shoot people. And that there are better avenues to support if you want to get your voice heard.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Well, see, Bill is one of the good ones, so it's okay.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bondaction.org/content/article/37076/Black%20Racism%20killed%20Trayvon

One of my Facebook friends (who I can always count on to have the wrong opinion) posted this the other day.

That's right folks, reverse racism killed Trayvon! :suicide:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Trayvon called Zimmerman a racial slur, obviously he had to die :ironicat:

I can't believe someone wrote an article that simultaneously condemns a teenager to death for using a racial slur while calling out everyone who is offended by Paula Deen's stuff (which goes far beyond a racial slur)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 16, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Reverce Racism killed Trayvon, but what about the "Reverse Trayvon Martin", Marissa Alexander? :freep:

DOUBLE Reverse Racism

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Amidst all of the whining and nashing of teeth from both sides regarding the Martin/Zimmerman case, one of my former Navy comrades decided to post this beauty (grey is me):

He's a really nice guy, and did better than me in college, but gently caress. How do adults, who have had decades of experience in national and international level poo poo, think things like this are a good idea?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Because at face value it's a good common-sense idea until you take a moment to think about it critically like you did.

There's a reason stupid folksy common sense ideas like that don't take off, running a modern country as large and diverse as the US is mind-bogglingly complex.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

AlternateNu posted:

Amidst all of the whining and nashing of teeth from both sides regarding the Martin/Zimmerman case, one of my former Navy comrades decided to post this beauty (grey is me):

He's a really nice guy, and did better than me in college, but gently caress. How do adults, who have had decades of experience in national and international level poo poo, think things like this are a good idea?

You should tell pink you agree. Old people vote in hugely disproportionate numbers compared to every other age, yet they live near totally off of current workers taxes and on top of it, will be dead soon. We can't trust them to make political decisions that are actually good for the working part of the country that won't be dead within 10 years.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Might also remind them where ARE TROOPS' paychecks come from, or ask them about people who work and also receive government aid. Last year I earned $26K working full time, of which I paid $2K income tax and $1500 payroll tax, but my household also received food stamps and Social Security. Am I a maker or a taker?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who determines what goes on the list? Can I just write in my own personal savings account is where I want 100% of taxes to go?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

darthbob88 posted:

ask them about people who work and also receive government aid.

These people don't understand and won't accept that you can be on assistance while having a job. If you do manage to force that concept through, the auto-response is that it's your fault for not having a better job.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

darthbob88 posted:

Might also remind them where ARE TROOPS' paychecks come from,

Yeah this would start to become a problem when liberals start sending all their tax money to social programs or like the NIS, while Tea Party people send it all to border security. Meanwhile SS and Medicare goes broke because current workers were like "meh, I'll get around to funding SS later"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Yo. Already got a healthy dose of backpedaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Government is super inefficient so we should allow 300 million people to have a say in exactly where their money goes.

Prove to me my money is being spent in exactly and only the ways I want it to be spent.
What do you mean money is fungible? What do mushrooms have to do with money and taxes?

This is why government is so inefficient and we should just have a walmart for everything!