Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
4 cms is a great start! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Kal Torak posted:

My wife and I are currently trying for our first child. She has now had two miscarriages. The first one occurred pretty early, around 6 weeks or so. This last one was at about 10 weeks just a few days after having our first ultrasound. My wife also had a lot of bloodwork done as well as a full physical during the second pregnancy. All results came back normal.

My wife is in great health but is 38 years old. So perhaps that is a problem...?

She has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. What kind of things should we be asking the Doctor here? A third miscarriage is going to send my wife's stress level through the roof.

Does she have a thyroid condition? That can lead to a higher instance of miscarriages.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

bamzilla posted:

Does she have a thyroid condition? That can lead to a higher instance of miscarriages.

No, she has no "conditions" or anything like that. At least not that we know of. All tests she's had have come back normal.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006

Midnight Science posted:

travelsized, I had an induction almost identical to the one you're having RIGHT NOW :supaburn:(only I was late, not early). It wasn't so bad, just really long and the pit contractions were a little funky (but okay). I'm sending you lots of warm fuzzies.

I guess the good thing is knowing that soon I'll have my baby. And all things considered he's doing very well. The contractions aren't too bad (I did have one weird long one). And weirdly I'm one of only two women in L&D tonight, so I'm getting lots of attention. I'm trying to decide when to get the epidural, there's no wait.

My husband and I were just not prepared, didn't have our hospital bag, the friends we had to walk our dog are out of town until Friday, the baby room isn't quite set up. We have the car seat, but it's not installed. I wore my contacts instead of my glasses.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Is your husband going home to go get your stuff? I'm guessing you aren't allowed to pop by home after they've started. That's pretty exciting that you get to see your baby, even if it's a little unplanned!

ETA: For those of you who have morning sickness in the States, looks like the FDA just approved Diclectin, but it's called Diclegis there. It's a Category A drug in pregnancy, which means it's about as safe as you can get. A woman I know down there didn't realize it had been approved yet, so I figure there might be people here who's doctors might now know yet, since it only got cleared this year. Diclectin is a pregnancy godsend for a lot of women here.

http://www.diclegis.com

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 16, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

travelsized posted:

My husband and I were just not prepared, didn't have our hospital bag, the friends we had to walk our dog are out of town until Friday, the baby room isn't quite set up. We have the car seat, but it's not installed. I wore my contacts instead of my glasses.

Don't worry too much about all that stuff, it'll get taken care of one way or another, you've got bigger fish to worry about!

I kind of went through the same thing, my water broke and we had to have the baby earlier than expected. My mom was moving up near me from 5 hours away to be closer to baby and be here for the birth- however my water broke on her moving day, as she was heading this way with her moving truck! I needed a csection anyways so she didn't miss much, but still..I finally got a hold of her like 10 minutes before I went into surgery to let her know what was up. There was a brief frantic moments my husband and I were getting our dogs situated and finishing up packing things we needed as I paced around on the phone with the on call Dr. (it was also the one weekend my Dr. was out of town, ahaha)

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

travelsized posted:

I'm trying to decide when to get the epidural, there's no wait.

In my own experience with the pit contractions... Don't put it off. Mine we getting "bad-ish" and I figured "eh I'll be like this for a while, I can deal." But 20 minutes into my next higher dose I wanted to cry, I was done... But I had to sit there through about 6 horrible contractions while they set up my epidural. It was the worst part of the whole thing for me. After I got my epidural I was actually able to sleep for a hour or so while things were progressing

But the good news is... Baby soon!!! Congrats!

Don't worry about the stuff so much. I barely used anything in my bag and if they have to the wee one can sleep in an empty drawer when you get home. Ask the nurses if they've got a couple pill cups and some saline for your contacts, then you can take the out of you want to at least until hubby can get stuff from home and your glasses. ;)

Congrats again. :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Good luck travelsized, I hope everything goes really smoothly for you and your baby!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Kal Torak posted:

My wife and I are currently trying for our first child. She has now had two miscarriages. The first one occurred pretty early, around 6 weeks or so. This last one was at about 10 weeks just a few days after having our first ultrasound. My wife also had a lot of bloodwork done as well as a full physical during the second pregnancy. All results came back normal.

My wife is in great health but is 38 years old. So perhaps that is a problem...?

She has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. What kind of things should we be asking the Doctor here? A third miscarriage is going to send my wife's stress level through the roof.

I'm sorry for your losses.

It might be a good idea to ask in this thread, there may have been people hwho have gone through a similar experience.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

Age does seem to be a factor, unfortunately. Under age 35 about 6%, 35-40 it's 15% and over 40 23% (figures from a google search - I don't claim to be any kind of expert) of pregnancies end in miscarriage.

However, my main point is don't give up. My wife is 36 weeks gone with our second, and she will be near enough 42 years old when it's born, with a couple of false starts along the way in the last five years.

You'll both, because of age, be starting to think it won't happen, but nothing could be further from the truth for some years yet.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

ChloroformSeduction posted:

ETA: For those of you who have morning sickness in the States, looks like the FDA just approved Diclectin, but it's called Diclegis there. It's a Category A drug in pregnancy, which means it's about as safe as you can get. A woman I know down there didn't realize it had been approved yet, so I figure there might be people here who's doctors might now know yet, since it only got cleared this year. Diclectin is a pregnancy godsend for a lot of women here.

http://www.diclegis.com

Hey cool. I used this but I had to have it made at a compound pharmacy because it wasn't on the market in the US at the time. It used to be sold here but then there was a scare about it (completely unfounded) so it stopped being manufactured. It worked really, really well for me! (Once I got past the super-sleepy early days.)

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 16, 2013

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
I hope everything's going well, travelsized!

I'm at 37 weeks now and the stretch marks on my belly have swollen up and started itching intensely. The itch is so bad that it makes it hard to concentrate and wakes me up repeatedly at night (and also makes it impossible to wear pants. Hello, single maternity skirt!). I'm thinking this is probably PEP/PUPPP? I'll be asking my OB about it, of course, but did anyone else have any luck with home remedies? So far I've been using an oat milk and cocoa butter lotion which feels great going on but only stops the itching for about five minutes.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Seven for a Secret posted:

I'm at 37 weeks now and the stretch marks on my belly have swollen up and started itching intensely. The itch is so bad that it makes it hard to concentrate and wakes me up repeatedly at night (and also makes it impossible to wear pants. Hello, single maternity skirt!). I'm thinking this is probably PEP/PUPPP? I'll be asking my OB about it, of course, but did anyone else have any luck with home remedies? So far I've been using an oat milk and cocoa butter lotion which feels great going on but only stops the itching for about five minutes.

Super hot showers so that it stung instead of itched so I could sleep maybe another hour and then get up and do it again. :( Lots of crying. It was awful.

I did take a homeopathic remedy but I fully own that it was probably the placebo effect that actually made it seem to help. ;)

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm sorry for your losses.

It might be a good idea to ask in this thread, there may have been people hwho have gone through a similar experience.

Yes, that thread does seem more appropriate. Thanks!

Clarence posted:

Age does seem to be a factor, unfortunately. Under age 35 about 6%, 35-40 it's 15% and over 40 23% (figures from a google search - I don't claim to be any kind of expert) of pregnancies end in miscarriage.

However, my main point is don't give up. My wife is 36 weeks gone with our second, and she will be near enough 42 years old when it's born, with a couple of false starts along the way in the last five years.

You'll both, because of age, be starting to think it won't happen, but nothing could be further from the truth for some years yet.

Yeah age is my biggest worry. But nothing I can do about that...we will keep trying. This last one was really hard on my wife though and I really don't want her going through a third one.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

I hope everything's going well, travelsized!

Cortizone 10 has come out with an eczema lotion with hydrocortizone in it. It gets under those first layers of skin and stops the itching deep down. It takes about 10 minutes to start working, but it's amazing realizing a few hours later that you don't itch, and haven't itched in ages.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Currently sitting in the waiting room, waiting for my hour to be up for the glucose test. Everyone I talked to said the drink was horrible, they threw up, etc. Mine tasted like a slightly sweeter version of orange Gatorade and I chugged that sucker right down. I have a big sweet tooth anyway, so it didn't bother me... man, I hope that doesn't mean I've definitely got GD. :(

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Currently sitting in the waiting room, waiting for my hour to be up for the glucose test. Everyone I talked to said the drink was horrible, they threw up, etc. Mine tasted like a slightly sweeter version of orange Gatorade and I chugged that sucker right down. I have a big sweet tooth anyway, so it didn't bother me... man, I hope that doesn't mean I've definitely got GD. :(

Yeah, maybe some doctors use something more disgusting but for me it just tasted like a cheap soft drink. I didn't have morning sickness though. I did get a big sweet tooth in pregnancy and got obsessed with a local dessert restaurant. No GD.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Yeah, I've had a huge sweet tooth since being pregnant too. Never had one prior, but drat if I don't want ice cream and cheesecake all the time now. I also came up negative for GD, so don't read too much into your cravings.

Edit: RE: Itchy stretch marks. I've been slathering on coconut oil day and night, and that seems to keep the itchiness at bay. Plus I smell delicious. :)

Russian Dollies fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 16, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My glucose test tasted like slightly too strong orange Hi C.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I go for mine tomorrow morning, and I'm super paranoid about it for no good reason. I don't have a big sweet tooth, though, so we'll see what happens!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Don't worry. It's not *that* bad. I say that as someone who thought it was disgusting, got the shakes, the chills and nearly passed out and/or vomited. I got to lay down in a back room until it was over.

I have got GD, as the numbers actually went up astronomically for the second hour. I started with a fasting sugar of 105 and peaked at something like 250.

Had my followup consult at the hospital yesterday and they've decided I'm doing well enough on the diet that I won't have to take insulin at all. They don't offer metformin here, as they haven't declared it safe enough for preggos. So it was diet or insulin.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Re itching: I didn't itch while pregnant but I had major, terrible awful itching for the first two months postpartum. Opinions from doctors varied from postpartum PUPPP to atopic dermatitis. Whatever it was, nothing really helped. I used Sarna lotion on parts of me that wouldn't be touching the baby and a prescription steroidal cream but they only helped for a few minutes. Thank god that poo poo stopped, I literally scratched part of my legs raw :(

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I thought it was delicious. It tasted like a Lil Hug! I did have GD though.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 16, 2013

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The one hour drink I didn't mind. I had to do the three hour test and that drink was waaaay too much sugar.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Chickalicious posted:

I thout it was delicious. It tasted like a Lil Hug! I did have GD though.

Dude, if it actually tastes like a Lil Hug I'll be in heaven. GD tests every day, forever. Except I probably WOULD end up with GD if I chugged a Lil Hug every day.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
My wife had a miscarriage last week. It was our first pregnancy and we were super excited :(

She's dealing with it fine, but man, it's shook me up a little bit.

Any advice for helping get through this time? I'm trying to distract myself with work but i fear that's just delaying an eventual emotional breakdown. I've been so busy taking care of my wife I haven't really had time to deal with my own stuff.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Mine tasted like a sort of flat orange soda. I liked it. :) (And did not have GD)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

For those dealing with miscarriage, I really recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Term-Uncovering-Miscarriage-ebook/dp/B0046A9MOA

I'm very science-minded and it really helped me deal with mine and be able to face the possibility of another one with a more relaxed state of mind. Miscarriage sucks no matter what but knowing more about it made me feel less out of control (even though there still wasn't anything I could do about it).

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Fionnoula posted:

Mine tasted like a sort of flat orange soda. I liked it. :) (And did not have GD)

I'm psyching myself up for Varsity-style (http://thevarsity.com/ I know y'all aren't from around here! As to why they barely mention orange drink on their website, I have no idea. It's flat orange soda, and it's delicious) orange drink. It's just not the same without a hotdog and sweltering summer heat, though.

EDIT: it's orange drink. This is awesome.

Tourette Meltdown fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 17, 2013

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks for the itching advice! I'm going to ask my OB if I can use that Cortizone 10 cream (the website says it's pregnancy friendly, but Hydrocortisone is Class C...?), because it sounds fantastic.

Last night I slept with a wet washcloth draped over my belly, and that helped with the itching a lot-- I could still feel it a bit, but I was able to sleep through it. And then I woke in the middle of the night and my belly felt cool to the touch and the baby wasn't moving, and I freaked out and was pretty sure I had chilled her to death. Eventually she started rolling around again. Never been so happy to feel that.

This morning, just for fun, I've developed tiny itchy red bumps all over my fingers and hands. Unclear whether this is more PUPPPs, other pregnancy-related strangeness, an allergic reaction to something, or what. I'm seeing my OB this afternoon, so I'll just add it to the list...

I thought the GD drink was pretty tasty too, and I ended up not having GD.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

This morning, just for fun, I've developed tiny itchy red bumps all over my fingers and hands. Unclear whether this is more PUPPPs, other pregnancy-related strangeness, an allergic reaction to something, or what. I'm seeing my OB this afternoon, so I'll just add it to the list...

When I had PUPPP it spread all over my legs, feet, arms, hands, belly and back. Luckily it wasn't on my face I guess?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I'm having a wicked case of the baby blues. I hope it passes once she's more of an actual interactive baby, not just a tiny adorable lump with unpredictable needs. The loss of my old life has hit me really hard, and I'm not yet at the point where I feel like I've gained whatever makes that loss worthwhile.
I'm kind of envious of my husband, he's head over heels in love with our daughter and walks around on air and couldn't be happier, while I just want the newborn stage to be over as soon as possible. Luckily she's growing like a champ, she's gained half a kilo since we left the hospital, she's two weeks old now and has passed her birth weight (which included three massive diaperloads of meconium) by 250 grams, and is more alert and eyecontact-y with every day that passes. Also she farts a lot, which cracks us up something wicked for some reason :v:

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Sockmuppet posted:

I'm having a wicked case of the baby blues. I hope it passes once she's more of an actual interactive baby, not just a tiny adorable lump with unpredictable needs. The loss of my old life has hit me really hard, and I'm not yet at the point where I feel like I've gained whatever makes that loss worthwhile.
I'm kind of envious of my husband, he's head over heels in love with our daughter and walks around on air and couldn't be happier, while I just want the newborn stage to be over as soon as possible. Luckily she's growing like a champ, she's gained half a kilo since we left the hospital, she's two weeks old now and has passed her birth weight (which included three massive diaperloads of meconium) by 250 grams, and is more alert and eyecontact-y with every day that passes. Also she farts a lot, which cracks us up something wicked for some reason :v:

I think two weeks post-partum is right when the doctors here start to recommend that you get out and do something, with or without your baby. Let your husband or a relative take care of her for an hour or two, and get out and go shopping, or see a movie, or have lunch with a friend!

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Sockmuppet posted:

Also she farts a lot, which cracks us up something wicked for some reason :v:

I find baby farts hilarious too. When she farts and wakes herself up... I cant handle it. Or when she poos all up her back or its a particularly nasty diaper I can't help but crack up. I don't know why but I just lose it.

I'm sorry that the baby blues hit you hard. I had them too, not bad enough to need the meds but enough to make me talk to my doctor about if I needed them. I does get better. When they keep you up all night but smile at you... It's like all that goes away. You'll get there. *random stranger on the Internet hugs* :)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Thank you. My parents are visiting for ten days, and it's been great having my mum here. And my husband is really great about letting me cry a bit and voice what bothers me without judging and getting upset. I know that I wanted to become a parent before this, and I hope that feeling will come back when I feel more like a parent to an actual little person and less like a pair of high-maintenance achy boobs with arms for grumpy-baby-bouncing. I really miss being me.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Shiiiiiiiit, I failed my one-hour test. I get to go back Friday for the 3-hour test, yay! I'm already starting to plan low-carb meals for next week just to prepare for the inevitable. Here's hoping it all goes well, and if not, perhaps you all could give me good recipes. :)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Well, I thought I might have posted here previously, but looking back I guess I've just lurked for the last 8 months without much to say. My wife will be 37 weeks tomorrow. About four weeks ago she was diagnosed with Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy which meant we were whisked away from plan of midwives and birth center birth to the local teaching hospital. Quite an abrupt change, but we really like our doctor and everything is looking good. Long story short, there's an increasing change of stillbirth with this condition as pregnancy progresses so she's scheduled to be induced this Monday at 37 weeks, 4 days. It's been a bit odd knowing exactly when our first child will be born rather than playing the waiting game.

Anyway, even though I haven't contributed I've certainly learned a lot by reading and hopefully been a little bit better husband and future father from it.

travelsized posted:

So I'm being induced at 37+4. It's all sort of sudden and I'm a little freaked out.

What's up 37+4 induction buddy.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Sockmuppet posted:

I know that I wanted to become a parent before this, and I hope that feeling will come back when I feel more like a parent to an actual little person and less like a pair of high-maintenance achy boobs with arms for grumpy-baby-bouncing. I really miss being me.

That didn't hit me until this weekend when we had friends visit and I couldn't really do anything fun with them because I was hooked up to a pump all the time (at least it felt like it). My son just hit two weeks too. The advice to go out and do something sounds nice, but with his lip and tongue ties, he eats incredibly slowly, so there's very little time I'd be able to go out if I want to be able to pump for his next feeding. Maybe to the ice cream stand down the road?

My husband is even more frustrated when the kid cries because, as he puts it, the error messages are all the same. He cries when there is anything wrong, but doesn't specify what the issue is. You know, because he's two weeks old.

I just keep assuring both of us that it will get better. It actually already has, and I keep trying to point that out.

I think we'll both make it, Sockmuppet. :)

Edit: Oh, you had her the day after I had Cai!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Sockmuppet, you are me exactly two weeks ago. My little guy was one month yesterday and I was feeling exactly like you two weeks ago. The first two weeks were really loving hard. I was overwhelmed, exhausted, and resentful about how much my life had changed and all I had to show for it was an always hungry and therefore attached to my boobs baby who if he wasn't eating or sleeping he was crying. I broke down crying A LOT. I still do on occasion. I'm still not head over heels in love but it is getting better each day.

I talked to my doctor and she referred my to a therapist in case I had PPD but after speaking with the therapist once he said I didn't seem like I had PPD and was just adjusting to my new life and didn't think he needed to see me again unless I wanted to talk through things.

My OB doc said to make sure to take 1/2 hour to an hour to do something just for myself every day and to make sure my husband and I do something together not baby related every day. That has really helped.

PM me if you need to chat. I can totally and completely relate. I leaned heavily on my friends who recently had babies and learned I was not at all alone in what I was feeling. They all keep saying it gets way better after the first three months and I keep hoping they are right. :)

But honestly I'm still a little frustrated and overwhelmed and still adjusting but I feel better at a month then I did at two weeks.

sheri fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

When I had PUPPP it spread all over my legs, feet, arms, hands, belly and back. Luckily it wasn't on my face I guess?
Agh. Did it go away shortly after you delivered? My OB said the belly and hands are definitely PUPPP and to use Benadryl to quell the itching and get to sleep and calamine lotion for the rash. Fingers (gingerly) crossed!