Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I'm jumping back into Civ V after a decent hiatus. Probably nearly 100% of my games have been playing a tall strategy. If I wanted to try going wide, what Civ should I start with (one of the XP civs preferred) and what are the biggest things I should keep in mind? (I'd like to stick relatively on the builder side of things)

They dropped the culture penalty a bit for going wide so i think most everybody does wide well. Gandhi is actually insanely, insanely good at wide. Poland and Shoshone are the XP ones that are probably best for wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

uPen posted:

Someone with a different ideology than you has a shitload of tourism and is pissing off all your citizens. Your options are:
  • Switch Ideologies.
  • Get more culture to stave off their tourism.
  • Murder them.

This is always the correct option in Civ.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So I was taking a look at the achievement list...

:xcom:

Seriously, some of these achievements are loving awesome. And almost impossible to pull off.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just had a really weird bug in my Venice game:

-I resurrected Poland, after Warsaw revolted from the Zulus.
-Indonesia declared war on Poland, in spite of our defensive pact and the fact his frigates would be fighting my nuclear subs.
-I destroyed the Indonesian navy. We declared peace. I tried to make them declare peace with Poland too, but it turned out they had already done so.
-One turn later, Indonesia held a coup in Malacca, formerly one of my allies. Malacca declared war on me.
-I entered diplomacy with Malacca and made peace immediately. I then bribed them back into alliance with me.
-Casimir denounced me for threatening Malacca, which was under his protection.

So what the gently caress? The game's excellent, by the way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hahaha, the world peace that somehow happened in my game is falling apart. I've re-entered a cold war with Japan (which I won with Freedom's Foreign Legions), and a third war with Assyria happened, which let me conquer them using those units. I didn't get a genocide modifier f or wiping them out, though; they were down to their capital, and I had all their cities from previous wars, so I just went gently caress it. Do you just not get it if another civilization asks you to fight? Anyway, now Austria wants me to turn my disgustingly large army's gaze towards Greece, while Japan and the Mayans hope I don't notice. In addition, Austria went Order as opposed to my UN-saction Freedom, so they're falling apart. 22 unhappiness for their ideology, with a total of 2 unhappiness. It's just a matter of time before they collapse entirely.

These new changes are amazing. I'm winning in three different ways. :allears:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the priority of things to get from ruins with the Shoshone?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

I did Culture > Tech > Population > Gold.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Speedball posted:

Purging a religion is only possible if you completely eradicate the faction that created it and then mop up using inquisitors. Don't do it unless you're prepared for some douche points with the rest of the world. That said, sometimes you have to be a douche to win in this game...

What about if you leave the founding civilization alone---including their holy city---but manage to convert the majority to your religion? I sent a Shoshone Great Prophet and managed to convert Stockholm from Protestantism to the righteous worship of Duma Appah, which surprised me as I didn't know holy cities could be converted, let alone entirely lose their founder religion.

I keep wondering if Protestantism will somehow come back in my game, but so far, nothing. I even got Sweden to vote yea on making my religion the world religion at the World Congress. v:v:v

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ibntumart posted:

What about if you leave the founding civilization alone---including their holy city---but manage to convert the majority to your religion? I sent a Shoshone Great Prophet and managed to convert Stockholm from Protestantism to the righteous worship of Duma Appah, which surprised me as I didn't know holy cities could be converted, let alone entirely lose their founder religion.

I keep wondering if Protestantism will somehow come back in my game, but so far, nothing. I even got Sweden to vote yea on making my religion the world religion at the World Congress. v:v:v

Holy Cities will continuously generate pressure of their religion, but you can't see it until there's at least 1 follower. This isn't generally an issue unless you have no significant pressure of your own (i.e. Itinerant Preachers), however a founding civ will always pop Great Prophets of their religion, even if they're rush-buying with faith in a city that was converted to another religion. With a GP, they can quickly get majority again.

As far as I can tell, the AI gives up the religion race when they hit the Industrial Era, probably because they burn their faith bank on other Great People. Haven't played enough games to confirm this though.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Verranicus posted:

I did Culture > Tech > Population > Gold.

I've started settling into Culture -> Population -> Tech, and then repeat, possibly tossing in Faith when it becomes available if there's a decent Pantheon choice for your starting location.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

isndl posted:

As far as I can tell, the AI gives up the religion race when they hit the Industrial Era, probably because they burn their faith bank on other Great People. Haven't played enough games to confirm this though.

In my game Catholicism, Shinto, and Buddhism have all remained strong and fighting for control. There's a resolution coming up (that will fail) to make the world religion buddhism, even. On the other hand, no one cared about ideologies until they were forced into it.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Jetamo posted:

So I was taking a look at the achievement list...

:xcom:

Seriously, some of these achievements are loving awesome. And almost impossible to pull off.

I got this one for nuking my own X-Com squad.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I played a few games this weekend after getting the expansion and I think I'm getting the hang if things now. First was a huge terra map as Byzantium. Ended up losing to turn limit to Siam who somehow ended up conquering half the world, as well as dominating the UN and passing whatever the hell they felt like. I was mostly getting the hang of the new mechanics though so I didn't really have any kind of strategy.

Did a lot better the second time through; got a tiny map as Assyria and won by domination in the early industrial era (I probably could have won earlier than that but I didn't want to risk taking on more than one civ at a time). The free tech for capturing a city is a REALLY good ability - just research all military tech, and learn the economic stuff through conquest!

Last game was Sweden, where I actually managed to set myself up for both a diplomatic and cultural victory at the same time (I had to abstain on the world leader vote since I didn't have the achievement for winning a cultural victory yet). It was on a weird looking large continents map, where the continent I started on was this big O shaped land with about 5 other civs on it, and only halfway through the game did I find out that Greece basically took over the entire other half of the world. I was in a pretty amazing diplomatic position though since I was allied with pretty much every city state. I'm not even sure how I got so friendly with them - I barely ever bribed anyone and mostly used spies to steal tech. I think I just kept fulfilling culture, faith and resource quests by what I was already doing, so I had 100+ influence with almost everyone.

One thing about the new ideology system is it seems like everyone kind of picks one and dogpiles on the one or two civs that pick something else, rather than having a more even split and forming power blocs. Maybe that's just what's happened to me, though.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 16, 2013

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What's the appeal of turn limit/time victory? I can't imagine anything more frustrating than having a tense, close game going and then losing because oops it's 2050.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Just won my first cultural victory as Morocco. :unsmith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

What's the appeal of turn limit/time victory? I can't imagine anything more frustrating than having a tense, close game going and then losing because oops it's 2050.

I think it's more of an indicator that if you haven't won by then, you're probably not going to, so it's better to just cut it there.

An exception is maybe if you're going for a science victory - I don't know if it's the new expansion or if it was always like this and I just didn't notice, but it seems like technology is lagging behind the year a lot more than it used to. First discovering railroad in 2013! And it's not just me sucking - all the other civs are lagging behind just as much (on prince difficulty, anyway)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 16, 2013

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's more of an indicator that if you haven't won by then, you're probably not going to, so it's better to just cut it there.

An exception is maybe if you're going for a science victory - I don't know if it's the new expansion or if it was always like this and I just didn't notice, but it seems like technology is lagging behind the year a lot more than it used to. First discovering railroad in 2013! And it's not just me sucking - all the other civs are lagging behind just as much (on prince difficulty, anyway)

I guess I can't really say whether I'd agree with that reasoning or not since I tend to play huge/marathon games and from what I've seen online that's fairly uncommon.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Why haven't I won a Domination victory in my game yet? I conquered the last two civ's capitols like 10 turns ago, and... nothing. I know for a fact that I'm the last civ with my original capitol - two others aren't under my control, but they've been conquered by others. According to the "last capitol standing" rule, by all rights I should have seen a victory screen by now. What gives?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anony Mouse posted:

Why haven't I won a Domination victory in my game yet? I conquered the last two civ's capitols like 10 turns ago, and... nothing. I know for a fact that I'm the last civ with my original capitol - two others aren't under my control, but they've been conquered by others. According to the "last capitol standing" rule, by all rights I should have seen a victory screen by now. What gives?

The victory condition changed in Brave New World. You have to own all the capitals personally.

If you ask me it’s a dumb change because if you take the conquering civ’s capital, clearly you could have taken their puppet as well. You’re the Condorcet winner, as it were.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 16, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Verranicus posted:

Because most games end around turn 300-400 or sooner so if you've dragged it out to 500 you're probably not going to win. I cannot think of a single game of civ I've played ever going to the time limit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Verranicus posted:

You don't feel that racing against the time limit would increase the tension?

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Assryia is crazy.

Currently playing through an emperor game on a large map that started with 15 civs and 10 city states. Continent i started on had 4 civs, now its just me and Assryia. 3 times now he's 'backstabbed' me while im busy at war elsewhere. Soon as i get pressure on his cities he wants peace, then wants to be my bro again and he's not even mad about our past wars. What a crazy person.

Adding in civs and reducing the number of city states seems to make the game more cutthroat and diplomatic victory almost impossible. In my game above Assyria is the only civ that id consider to be labeled aggressive from the start, now its around the modern era, 5 civs have been completely wiped, and wars are going on between everyone. Im doing my best to win a space race but nobody can focus on science over units. Scorewise, in 5th but 3rd in techs and 2nd person to complete the Apollo program. Close games like this are amazing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jedit posted:

You don't feel that racing against the time limit would increase the tension?

He aspires to be the OP from this.

In all honesty i've never had a game run anywhere near that. Typically if it's 1900 and somebody hasn't completely run away with the game, people tend to start freaking out and trying to force the game to end. I've never seen a score victory in any civ game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The highest I’ve ever gone is 2012, and only because I let the game go on that long to get the “nuke someone as the Maya in 2012” achievement. For all intents and purposes, I’d won the game in the medieval era, and in fact that’s where most of the AIs still were after I relegated them to a single icebound city each.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is kind of just a function of difficulty - assuming you can keep up with it, the higher the difficulty level the earlier everyone is going to advance, since the AI is going to be researching faster, and presumably you're going to be playing better to keep up. On Emperor, the game is definitely quite ahead of schedule.

I can't tell if research takes slightly longer in BNW, or if I'm just not as good at BNW as I was at G&K.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If Ashurbanipal conquers a city state, does he get a tech?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wish that when research agreements completed the overflow were put into the next tech you selected instead of split between all available techs. I know the solution is to have the tech you want next queued up with the shift key, but it’s really annoying to forget you have a research agreement coming to fruition and having to reload to avoid having to waste all the beakers.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

The victory condition changed in Brave New World. You have to own all the capitals personally.

If you ask me it’s a dumb change because if you take the conquering civ’s capital, clearly you could have taken their puppet as well. You’re the Condorcet winner, as it were.
Well then it's really lazy of them to have not updated the help pages to reflect this. It still says that you just have to be the last capitol standing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised; from what I've seen in this thread, their documentation is just terrible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anony Mouse posted:

Well then it's really lazy of them to have not updated the help pages to reflect this. It still says that you just have to be the last capitol standing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised; from what I've seen in this thread, their documentation is just terrible.

The victory overview reflects the new criterion, but failing to update that would have been a truly grievous oversight.

I’ve heard that the Civilopedia entry for the Freedom tenet Treaty Organization is outdated on the PC version, too, and that didn’t even exist before Brave New World. It must have been written based on an earlier build.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Platystemon posted:

The highest I’ve ever gone is 2012, and only because I let the game go on that long to get the “nuke someone as the Maya in 2012” achievement. For all intents and purposes, I’d won the game in the medieval era, and in fact that’s where most of the AIs still were after I relegated them to a single icebound city each.

That's an achievement? :aaaaa: I know who I'm playing as next.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

isndl posted:

Holy Cities will continuously generate pressure of their religion, but you can't see it until there's at least 1 follower. This isn't generally an issue unless you have no significant pressure of your own (i.e. Itinerant Preachers), however a founding civ will always pop Great Prophets of their religion, even if they're rush-buying with faith in a city that was converted to another religion. With a GP, they can quickly get majority again.

The sad thing is that I just realized I got an achievement for making myreligion the dominant one in another religion's holy city (Holier Than Thou).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Are there already any large to huge TSL Earth maps around that incorporate the BNW civilizations?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Umm

Ummmm

Is there a reason why this is happening or what?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Are there no cities on the coast to ship to? You can't send more than one of each type (Land and Sea) to a city so it's possible the AI isn't settling many coastal cities.

Edit: That too VVV

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 16, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Are you building a cargo ship, or caravan in another city already?

Edit: Looking at second pic there seems to be only one sea trade route listed, maybe you already trading on that route?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I was not building one in another city (it would let me build a caravan) and that route was not already active (you can see it wasn't active on that screen). I cannot figure out why the game wouldn't let me build that cargo ship. It was just bugged.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

flatluigi posted:

You can upgrade the unique scouts to composite bowmen at ancient ruins, who keep the scout skills. Absolutely insane unit.
Of course only really worth it if it has Scouting III and some Survivalism.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sauer kraut posted:

You can upgrade the unique scouts to composite bowmen at ancient ruins, who keep the scout skills. Absolutely insane unit.
Of course only really worth it if it has Scouting III and some Survivalism.

Wait till it gets March and Logistics. :unsmigghh:

Has anyone met a militaristic city state that gives Pathfinders? It might be hard to ally early enough, but it would be worth it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

If Ashurbanipal conquers a city state, does he get a tech?

I would think no, only because you can only steal techs the civ has researched, so you'd have to be behind the city state in science which seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was not building one in another city (it would let me build a caravan) and that route was not already active (you can see it wasn't active on that screen). I cannot figure out why the game wouldn't let me build that cargo ship. It was just bugged.

There needs to be a city available within a certain distance that you know the route to. You also can only have one trade route to a city - if you have a land route, you can't have a sea route. Looks like your land route to Hong Kong is up in 9 turns - reassign the caravan, and you can build the cargo ship.

• Locked thread