Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You should make it Western and Eastern Americans, because there is a major divide between the West Coast and East Coast, especially when it comes to governmental issues. (ie, the East is favored more over the West)

Plus it would be a nice change from Yankee and Dixie, which barely exists anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JGBeagle posted:

You should make it Western and Eastern Americans, because there is a major divide between the West Coast and East Coast, especially when it comes to governmental issues. (ie, the East is favored more over the West)

Plus it would be a nice change from Yankee and Dixie, which barely exists anymore.
How so? Merely curious here. Anyway, wouldn't having multiple white American cultures kinda not work in Victoria? Given that certain policies would prevent some white Americans from voting? Seems like it makes more sense to just have cultures for the ones who are likely to be the victims of policies that hinder their ability to vote, such as African-Americans. Basically, American cultures should be based on race in the modern day, though that's kinda doesn't work with the way assimilation functions.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How so? Merely curious here. Anyway, wouldn't having multiple white American cultures kinda not work in Victoria? Given that certain policies would prevent some white Americans from voting? Seems like it makes more sense to just have cultures for the ones who are likely to be the victims of policies that hinder their ability to vote, such as African-Americans. Basically, American cultures should be based on race in the modern day, though that's kinda doesn't work with the way assimilation functions.

The U.S. capital is located on the East Coast. Most money goes towards the East coast, West coast gets gypped. A great example is disaster response. When a major gas explosion hit a neighborhood in California, there was no FEMA response, while anytime a storm hits the East coast FEMA, the President, hell everyone shows up because it's a quick drive over, compared to the several hours plane ride it takes to get to the West coast.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JGBeagle posted:

The U.S. capital is located on the East Coast. Most money goes towards the East coast, West coast gets gypped. A great example is disaster response. When a major gas explosion hit a neighborhood in California, there was no FEMA response, while anytime a storm hits the East coast FEMA, the President, hell everyone shows up because it's a quick drive over, compared to the several hours plane ride it takes to get to the West coast.
When you say that more money goes towards the East Coast, do you mean per capita or what? As for the gas explosion, unless there was another one than the one in San Bruno, that hardly seems like a major disaster that would warrant the President actually going there. Yeah, it sucks for the people who live in that neighborhood, but shouldn't state emergency services be able to handle the aftermath of an explosion that only killed 8 people, and wounded less than 60?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

JGBeagle posted:

This is a preposterous assertion for a game that doesn't differentiate Breton from French or Scottish from English.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JGBeagle posted:

There is a huge difference between a block or two getting leveled and the total destruction of hundreds of miles of towns and infrastructure. If an Earthquake leveled half of Los Angeles I assure you there would be equal attention paid.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Different cultures should really only go where there's credible separatist movements. Brittany, Catalonia, Scotland, and Flanders/Wallonia would be good choices. There's no real separatist movements in the United States in this century.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Chief Savage Man posted:

Different cultures should really only go where there's credible separatist movements. Brittany, Catalonia, Scotland, and Flanders/Wallonia would be good choices. There's no real separatist movements in the United States in this century.

http://texasrepublic.info/

Proof that Texan should still exist as a Culture?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

I think if your website ends in .info, that's pretty good evidence that you're not a "credible" movement.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PrinceRandom posted:

He said real movements.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Meh, everyone I work with seem to feel like the East coast gets more poo poo than we do. :/ Then again, these same people wish Jefferson was a state.

But then again, I feel like the U.S. capital should be more in the center of the U.S. so... :negative:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The geographical location of the capital is mostly irrelevant nowadays from a practical standpoint, and from a political standpoint I doubt it makes much of a difference. I really strongly doubt the east coast gets more federal attention to the west coast. It is still politically more important in national politics, because that's still where the majority of the population is and thus the most senators and representatives, and the most EC delegates (although California and Texas are obviously huge), but I would never consider them a different culture and they aren't really neglected in any meaningful way.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

That Texan exists as a separate culture from Yankee/Dixie in the base Victoria is pretty silly. I like it out of deranged historical patriotism, but it'd be more realistic if Texas were primary culture Dixie and had both Yankees and Dixies.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Danimo posted:

That Texan exists as a separate culture from Yankee/Dixie in the base Victoria is pretty silly. I like it out of deranged historical patriotism, but it'd be more realistic if Texas were primary culture Dixie and had both Yankees and Dixies.

That was kinda what I was joking at. I didn't really understand why it existed except from a game-play standpoint of giving the RoT a Primary culture that wouldn't let them go on a North American conquest spree.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

As a Washingtonian, I know for certainty there is an air of "the East Coast doesn't care about us, so gently caress them" here, but we also have a lot of East Coast transplants, so who knows.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Danimo posted:

I think it's largely because Texas is an independent nation at game start and so you can have Texas Patriots pop up if your USA or CSA game goes really badly, although as has been mentioned before, it gives the CSA problems where all of their parties are Residency, and so it looks like the CSA was founded by Dixies to prevent Yankees from stopping Dixies from oppressing the Texan man. Meanwhile, once you outlaw slavery, African Americans can assimilate and vote just as any European immigrant, but not Texans :v:.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Everywhere you go, you'll find people who are unhappy with the centralized government and think they'd be better off on their own. But they're a vocal minority, not a legitimate secession movement, and their grievances are usually political in nature rather than cultural.

When your independence movement forces an official referendum that only fails by less than 1% of the vote, then we can talk.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And here we are, the final update to The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends!

July 15th 2013 (Checksum: RSLV)
-Re-added unification decisions for Britain and France;
-Re-added the Rise of Babylon for Persia/Syria/Iraq;
-Re-added Introduction Events;
-Re-added human sacrifices for Tepehuacu and Aztlan;
-Added Ireland, Papal States and Normandy to Canada's sphere of influence;
-Increased Canada's starting prestige;
-Canada is now a semi-constitutional monarchy;
-Added Korea to Persia's sphere;
-Added heavy industry to Azerbaijan;
-Added capitalists to Azerbaijan, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and Maya;
-Other minor industrial tweaks, what the hell;
-Changed Kathay's flag;
-Changed some problematic regions;
-Changed Chinese Re-unification CB to only be available to civilized Chinese states;
-Removed Tepehuacu's South Atlantic Fleet;
-Tepehuacu's Constituent Nations now have their proper culture;
-Re-did the Tepehuacu Civil War chain. It is now possible to reform and concede to the demands of the constituent states at the cost of prestige and pissing off the Zapotec elites;
-Finnish is no longer under Scandinavia's cultural union;
-Finland is now a proper kingdom that does not accept Swedes;
-Sweden's cores have been removed from Finland;
-Changed assimilation rates to make it more difficult to absorb native cultures;
-Changed migration patterns so Africa and and Oceania will be seem as more desirable places to move to, since the Americas are dominated by insane theocrathic states;
-Changed life-rating of some Siberian provinces to change the pace of colonization;
-Kingdom of the North now ruled by bears;
-Added the нешто ужасно newspaper to Serbia-Byzantium;
-Added The M.E.S.S.enger newspaper for the Neosrb cultures;
-Poland-Bohemia-Hungary are now a triple alliance kind of thing;
-Fixed another bug that gave Serbia-Byzantium infinite prestige;
-Miscelaneous bug-fixes?
-Culturally appropriate province names (thanks to Spirit Tree for help in Kroatstralia!);
-Except for the Grks in Anatolia!

Probably not save compatible. Unless any nasty issues come up (shouldn't, I did two hands-off games, but you never know), this is the version that will go to the succession LP coming any day now.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Walliard posted:

Everywhere you go, you'll find people who are unhappy with the centralized government and think they'd be better off on their own. But they're a vocal minority, not a legitimate secession movement, and their grievances are usually political in nature rather than cultural.

When your independence movement forces an official referendum that only fails by less than 1% of the vote, then we can talk.

Also when support for secession passes 30%: last poll I can find, Quebec secession is supported by 41% of Quebec, the lowest poll for Scottish secession is still above 30%, Catalans voted for succession in the 2009 referendum, but Texans? Best I can find is a poll with 18% support for secession.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
The correct cultures for the USA in the modern age mod should be: Otakus, Otherkin, Conservadads, Redditors, and Demon-crats.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It strikes me that having the US' primary culture being Yankee, encompassing most everyone, while keeping Afro-American (Maybe even updating its name to be less retro!), (small numbers of) the Native American cultures/Hawaiian, and a hearty sprinkling of whatever the primary culture of Mexico is throughout the Southwest and to a lesser extent some other areas (with that group heavily assimilating into Yankee in areas that don't have Mexican cores) would be a reasonable setup. The USA would be primary culture Yankee with the various Native Americans and Afro-American as accepted.

It's tough to do this with modern USA, though. If Religion wasn't useless in V2 I'd recommend putting in Mormonism if it wasn't there already (after all, it is the most :911: faith), but that won't make much of a difference here.

Other countries are easier: UK would be primary culture English, with Scottish and Welsh accepted, and a major dashing of the various South Asian groups and Afro-Caribbeans throughout the country.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Have America accept every culture because it's a post-racial meltingpot society. :fsmug:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

As a Washingtonian, I know for certainty there is an air of "the East Coast doesn't care about us, so gently caress them" here, but we also have a lot of East Coast transplants, so who knows.
But the West Coast is where everybody goes, how can people think it's ignored? Celebrities move (with rare exception) to the West Coast, Silicon Valley's in the West Coast, everything new and hip comes out of the West Coast and everybody who's tired of where they are moves into the West Coast.

DrProsek posted:

Also when support for secession passes 30%: last poll I can find, Quebec secession is supported by 41% of Quebec, the lowest poll for Scottish secession is still above 30%, Catalans voted for succession in the 2009 referendum, but Texans? Best I can find is a poll with 18% support for secession.
Why set the bar at 30%?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

As a Texan, secession is one of those things that we make a bunch of noise about more out of "gently caress yeah, Texas! WHOOOOO" patriotism than an actual political belief. We're sort of in a unique position in that our heritage of having once been an independent republic does sort of make us view our state as being different than the other states and somewhat of an entity unto itself, and I think that a lot of people outside Texas don't really understand that viewpoint and so take all the talk about seceding and all that a lot more seriously than anyone in Texas does, because here it's basically just political chest-pounding. I'm sure there's more than a handful of people who genuinely desire secession but I'd bet the majority of people in that poll were thinking more "hell yeah *guitar solo*" than "ah yes, I do believe that is the best course of action for our fair state." The only way you could realistically include Texan secession in the mod would be part of some kind of breakup of the US event, whether the US gets invaded and forcibly Balkanized, or a Jericho-style nuking, or completely falling apart economically, or something like that, in which case I could see Texas splitting off to do its own thing.

So basically what I'm saying is, there's no real need for a Texan culture in the modern age game unless there is such an event chain.

Takanago posted:

Have America accept every culture because it's a post-racial meltingpot society. :fsmug:

This honestly seems like a decent idea, if such a thing is possible to code. I mean, America may have a lot of racial problems, but I think Vicky 2's accepted cultures represent who can vote, rather than cultures living in 100% peace and harmony, so that would work.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This honestly seems like a decent idea, if such a thing is possible to code. I mean, America may have a lot of racial problems, but I think Vicky 2's accepted cultures represent who can vote, rather than cultures living in 100% peace and harmony, so that would work.

I don't think V2 is capable of modeling a society which discourages immigration because it is unable to produce jobs.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Why set the bar at 30%?

30 was just a number I used to demonstrate that there is a significant gap between Texas and other secession movements and how that relates to deciding whether or not the mod should use more system resources to model the culture group. I wasn't using that to say "Texas secession isn't real because of this number I pulled from my rear end", but to point out that even if a secession movement exists it may not be large enough to warrant the system resources, such as the Vermont, Alaska, and Hawaii secession movements.

That said, first of all, secession movements for unique cultures may be a bad standard considering South Yemen's very powerful secession movement (unless people in Southern Yemen really do think of themselves as a separate people from northern Yemen), and second of all,

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So basically what I'm saying is, there's no real need for a Texan culture in the modern age game unless there is such an event chain.
I could totally be for an optional mod that adds in Texans, Californians, Alaskans, Hawaiians, Cascadians, Dixies, New Englanders, Vermonters, Mormons (as a culture as well as a religion if it's not already in vanilla), Cherokee, Navajo, and a few others if it's part of a larger USA breakdown event chain. Generally for any large nation cool breakdown events would be nice (Canada, Mexico, Russia, China, France, Spain, Germany, etc).

ZearothK posted:

And here we are, the final update to The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends!

-Added Ireland, Papal States and Normandy to Canada's sphere of influence;

:woop:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
The only succession movement in the US that matters is Superior. Really they just want to secede from Michigan but it'd be much more entertaining if the yoopers made their own country.

Also if you think the west coast doesn't get enough support from the federal government you should see some parts of Detroit. It's like if hurricane Katrina hit but it happened over a period of 40 years. If everyone gets a special culture based on how disenfranchised they are by Washington then the rust belt would be first.

Chessylite
Jan 21, 2009

Excretus ex fortuna
Does anyone else find themselves still having trouble getting into Hearts of Iron 3?

I love EU, Vicky, CK, and, the one that started it all for me, HoI2, but just can't for the life of me enjoy a game of HoI3. It was really broken at first and it is to this I chalked up my distaste for the game when I first tried it but, aside from it no longer having those bugs, it still feels overly convoluted and I feel as though I have far less control over everything in the game, from the economy to diplomacy and politics, all of which are important in war, other than military strategy and battles themselves and if this is all I wanted there are far better games out there offering a more detailed and realistic, albeit turnbased,experience.

Essentially, I'm just wondering if anyone else who loved HoI2 is still having trouble with HoI3, Are there any mods you would recommend for the game if so? All I can say is thank God for Darkest Hour. It's helping me through a really tough period of grand strategy wargaming right now and I can only hope and pray that East vs West will be a huge improvement over the vanilla game.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Really, Victoria 2 should probably have culture groups, and mechanics which take effect at the group level, if it's going to use culture mechanics as a tool to model internal politics.

Possibly even the potential for these groups to change over the course of a game under the right situations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Chessylite posted:

Does anyone else find themselves still having trouble getting into Hearts of Iron 3?

I love hearts of iron 2 but am having trouble letting go of the micro managing aspect. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the command chain in practice even though I understand it conceptually. If I could ever get everything organized I would like to see how the AI handles things. Unfortunately, the idea of detaching and reattaching every brigade is tough to swallow when I'm used to commanding them all as independent stacks that can be split and reformed. It's a huge shift from HOI2. I also don't like the research as much.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Chessylite posted:

It took the Hearts of Iron franchise for me to discover that I'm not actually all that interested in the Second World War after all. (Obligatory caveat that I respect the sacrifices made by my grandfather) It's just not that compelling a scenario for me.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Hearts of Iron 3 always feels to me like they took the aspects of HoI2/DH that I didn't like and instead of improving on them, made them worse. Examples:

- I felt the province scale and division-level organization was a bit too detailed: Now there's even more, smaller provinces and elements are built out of brigades!

- I liked the research, but thought that big countries could do everything a little too easily: Now everyone does everything to an even greater extent (plus the new system is much worse)!

- Supply was treated a little weirdly, and if you are going to run divisional-scale, I prefer a system based on transportation lines like major railroads instead of the infrastructure system: HoI3's supply system may still be broken and seems extremely unintuitive.

- etc.

The one change I did like was the OOB organization, but even that is extremely hard to figure out for a new player. Basically, I feel HoI3 added complexity that makes it harder for a new player to get into without providing any benefit. Maybe if the tutorial were reasonable I could have gotten into it, but as it is now I feel like the learning curve is much too steep even if it were an amazing game, and for an experience that is less enjoyable to me than Darkest Hour it's just too much work.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ZearothK posted:

-Kingdom of the North now ruled by bears

It was really the only place that this could of gone.

Glory to our new bear overlords.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Chessylite posted:

I love EU, Vicky, CK, and, the one that started it all for me, HoI2, but just can't for the life of me enjoy a game of HoI3. It was really broken at first and it is to this I chalked up my distaste for the game when I first tried it but, aside from it no longer having those bugs, it still feels overly convoluted and I feel as though I have far less control over everything in the game, from the economy to diplomacy and politics, all of which are important in war, other than military strategy and battles themselves and if this is all I wanted there are far better games out there offering a more detailed and realistic, albeit turnbased,experience.

Essentially, I'm just wondering if anyone else who loved HoI2 is still having trouble with HoI3, Are there any mods you would recommend for the game if so? All I can say is thank God for Darkest Hour. It's helping me through a really tough period of grand strategy wargaming right now and I can only hope and pray that East vs West will be a huge improvement over the vanilla game.

Nope, it is pretty much still garbage. It feels weird to say that since HoI2 is also what got me into Paradox games and I've loved almost everything else PI has put out, but it was gigantic misstep. Hell, I don't think I've spent as much time playing any other game as HoI2 and its derivatives. I kinda like the government-in-exile system but it is a bit frustrating that the entire country of France can revolt and be crushed again in less than a week without the Axis even noticing.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Trujillo posted:

The only succession movement in the US that matters is Superior. Really they just want to secede from Michigan but it'd be much more entertaining if the yoopers made their own country.

Also if you think the west coast doesn't get enough support from the federal government you should see some parts of Detroit. It's like if hurricane Katrina hit but it happened over a period of 40 years. If everyone gets a special culture based on how disenfranchised they are by Washington then the rust belt would be first.

Pfft, whatever pal. Just look at that tiny Wikipedia page!

Us Cascadians have a Wikipedia page worth something. We even have a Twitter. And a reddit!

:smug: :smug: :smug:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ArchRanger posted:

Nope, it is pretty much still garbage. It feels weird to say that since HoI2 is also what got me into Paradox games and I've loved almost everything else PI has put out, but it was gigantic misstep. Hell, I don't think I've spent as much time playing any other game as HoI2 and its derivatives. I kinda like the government-in-exile system but it is a bit frustrating that the entire country of France can revolt and be crushed again in less than a week without the Axis even noticing.

Yeah, I would go so far as to say that Darkest Hour is arguably one of the best WW2 games ever made, but when I tried to get into HOI3 I pretty much played it for 90 minutes and uninstalled. It just didn't really grab me.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
As a fellow hater of HoI 3, would it be better to purchase HoI 2?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

JGBeagle posted:

As a fellow hater of HoI 3, would it be better to purchase HoI 2?

It probably depends what you hate about HoI 3, but if you're going to buy anything, I believe the recommended purchase is Darkest Hour.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

It probably depends what you hate about HoI 3, but if you're going to buy anything, I believe the recommended purchase is Darkest Hour.

Is there more to do in HoI 2 (or Darkest Hour) that isn't military related? Military micromanagement is not something I enjoy, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Danimo posted:

It would make more sense for Vicky 2 to have Tejano and Dixie cultures (wherein Tejano are not an accepted culture in the CSA or USA but are accepted in Mexico or independent Texas), and Modern Age would probably benefit from making most of the Texans Dixie (if that's kept) and introducing a Latino-American pop.

• Locked thread