Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Really loved Dredd. One thing I liked about the movie is how good a job they did on filling the background with interesting looking characters. It reminded me of a Sergio Leone western that way. I mean, look at Ma-Ma's bodyguard:

He's played by Tamer Burjaq, who is apparently a personal trainer in South Africa.

http://www.pro-trainer.co.za/pro-team.html

Everyone's favorite henchman is probably the one with luscious hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Really loved Dredd. One thing I liked about the movie is how good a job they did on filling the background with interesting looking characters. It reminded me of a Sergio Leone western that way. I mean, look at Ma-Ma's bodyguard:

He's played by Tamer Burjaq, who is apparently a personal trainer in South Africa.

I always enjoyed the fact that it almost looks like he cut and styled his hair to look like like Ma-Ma's hair and wears black tank tops like her. He's obviously her number one fan.

Excuse the crap quality I grabbed a quick screengrab from youtube, but you can see what I mean when they stand close to each other.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

etalian posted:

Dredd sequel villain right there.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dredd sequel villain right there.
No. Don't say that, the studio might get the wrong ideas.

There's alot more to see. Let's not get pigeonholed in PeachTree

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

etalian posted:

I thought that guy might be transgender, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought he was wearing a wig just to keep us on our toes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

KoRMaK posted:

No. Don't say that, the studio might get the wrong ideas.

There's alot more to see. Let's not get pigeonholed in PeachTree

Luscious hair guy isn't chained to PeachTree. He's an idea, a wisp, a force of nature.

He is you and he is me.

He is the audience as we watch Dredd now, finally, on DVD and Bluray, instead of on the big screen; we stand outside of the theater where we totally didn't just see Dredd because we are idiots and there's lipstick smeared on our dumb lips and a fright wig on our head because of reasons.

Our eyes betray only a single thought. "drat. I wish I had had the foresight to know this movie wouldn't suck."

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 16, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you still somehow haven't had the hindsight to realise this movie doesn't suck, and if you're based in the UK, Sainsbury's are selling the Blu-ray for £6.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Known in my circle of friends as 'poo poo Benicio Del Toro'.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, they really went out of their way to give nearly every random henchman a distinctive, individual feel just from their looks. Other examples would be the bald guy with the facial scars and Ma-Ma's second in command. It strikes a nice contrast to the uniform and almost faceless Judges.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Luscious hair guy isn't chained to PeachTree. He's an idea, a wisp, a force of nature.

He is you and he is me.

He is the audience as we watch Dredd now, finally, on DVD and Bluray, instead of on the big screen; we stand outside of the theater where we totally didn't just see Dredd because we are idiots and there's lipstick smeared on our dumb lips and a fright wig on our head because of reasons.

Our eyes betray only a single thought. "drat. I wish I had had the foresight to know this movie wouldn't suck."
I might get this tattooed in cursive micro-text on my side.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Another thing I Just noticed the other day is that Ma Ma isn't sexualized at all. Besides a mention that she had been a prostitute once, there's no indication other than the casting that she is a woman at all, distinct from her exclusively male gang. She makes no attempt to look good, never frets about her disfigurement, dresses plainly and acts pretty much gender neutrally. She shows no sexual interest or sexual fear of anybody, and the only person she physically interacts with is a total weakling and she only does it to terrify him. Even the scene with her in the bathtub is sexually blank. There's no shot of her getting out of the bath, and the guys guarding her act like there's nothing unusual going on. The focus is entirely on the drug she's using. At no point do her henchmen treat her as anything other than their boss. It really paints a vivid picture of somebody who is such a force of will and violence that her physical stature means nothing. She didn't take over her pimp's business through force but charisma and being a badder monster than her predecessor.

And Dredd knows all of this and does just what he's done to all the criminals before her. And because Dredd is a professional, he keeps his gun on her until he's sure she's disarmed. In another movie he'd walk up and give a speech or something and this would have been her opportunity to have her grab the gun by her pillow and take him by surprise (Grrrrl power!! ). Dude won't have any of that.

Whoever it was that said this was the least sexist action movie in a long time hit the nail on the head.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That guy was cool.

I watched, liked it, what more to say? I liked that it made Dredd seem like a Judge and not a traditional officer. It had it all.

temple fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 21, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Croisquessein posted:

And Dredd knows all of this and does just what he's done to all the criminals before her. And because Dredd is a professional, he keeps his gun on her until he's sure she's disarmed. In another movie he'd walk up and give a speech or something and this would have been her opportunity to have her grab the gun by her pillow and take him by surprise (Grrrrl power!! ). Dude won't have any of that.

Yeah I loved the small details since it sells how despite not having innate super hero powers, Dredd is a terrifying opponent due to his massive amount of experience and also surviving a darwinian high risk job for so many years.

Sort of like his clever phone booth ambush since he knew Ma-Ma would desperate to take advantage of a obvious "mistake".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

etalian posted:

Sort of like his clever phone booth ambush since he knew Ma-Ma would desperate to take advantage of a obvious "mistake".

I also like how Anderson falls for the oldest distraction trick in the book but Dredd doesn't when they finally confront Ma-Ma.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Karl mentions a sequel...

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9759/dredd-takes-steps-toward-sequel.html

"Dredd" could score a sequel thanks to strong home video sales and an enthusiastic critical response, according to actor Karl Urban.

Having starred as law enforcer Judge Dredd in the 2012 sci-fi film, Urban said that he has met with writer-producer Alex Garland and they are actively exploring the possibility of a sequel.

"It's certainly my hope that we get to make more … clearly it has found an audience," Urban said during a Comic-Con International press event on Friday that included Airlock Alpha. "The home video sales for 'Dredd' just went through the roof. I think it sold 650,000 units in the first week."

However, the film only earned about $36 million at the box office on an estimated budget of $45 million. That had initially derailed any hopes of a sequel.

"It's amazing how these things occurred," Urban said. "Not to compare it directly to 'Blade Runner,' but when 'Blade Runner' came out it was a film that didn't necessarily do what you thought that it should have done at the box office. I feel the same way about 'Dredd.' The reviews were overwhelmingly fantastic … but for whatever reason it didn't do the box office numbers that it should have."

Now Urban is seeking fan support to help make the sequel a reality.

"I think the more people that campaign for it, the more people that email, Twitter and write into Lionsgate and say 'We want to see more of this,' then the more likelihood is that we'll get to see that. We certainly are doing everything we can to ensure that happens."

"Dredd" was a British-South African production directed by Pete Travis ("Vantage Point," "Endgame") and written and produced by Garland ("Sunshine"). It also starred Rachel Wood, Olivia Thirlby, Wood Harris and Lena Headey.

The film is based on a British comic series that first appeared in 1977. Created by John Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra, the comic centers on a law enforcement officer with the power to arrest, sentence and terminate criminals on the spot for a futuristic city overrun by violence.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I was wondering if any progress was made... sounds like its still on the table but not a confirmed "yes" by the powers that be. Yet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought the blu-ray from Amazon pretty much sight-unseen a couple days ago, because of what I read in this thread. I like Karl Urban a lot, I've enjoyed what (little) I've read of Dredd, and I even really liked certain elements from the Stallone movie. I'm looking forward to watching Dredd. :munch:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Xenomrph posted:

I bought the blu-ray from Amazon pretty much sight-unseen a couple days ago, because of what I read in this thread. I like Karl Urban a lot, I've enjoyed what (little) I've read of Dredd, and I even really liked certain elements from the Stallone movie. I'm looking forward to watching Dredd. :munch:

The thought of someone about to watch Dredd for the first time fills me with joy - it's just such a pleasant surprise of a film.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Hewlett posted:

The thought of someone about to watch Dredd for the first time fills me with joy - it's just such a pleasant surprise of a film.
Seriously, I wish I could watch it for the first time again. Bought the DVD for three of my friends. I want that sequel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Karl mentions a sequel...

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9759/dredd-takes-steps-toward-sequel.html

Now Urban is seeking fan support to help make the sequel a reality.

"I think the more people that campaign for it, the more people that email, Twitter and write into Lionsgate and say 'We want to see more of this,' then the more likelihood is that we'll get to see that. We certainly are doing everything we can to ensure that happens."
Does he make mention of ways to contact Lionsgate or anything? That'd likely be step one, giving fans the necessary avenues to make their voices heard.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm totally on board for a Dredd sequel. People on this thread seem to think I disliked the film as a whole rather than for the opportunities it missed. Maybe on the second go we can get that perfect Dredd experience.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hewlett posted:

Right? I showed it to my roommates on a snowy day, and it was incredible watching them get into it, and when it ended every one of them thanked me for showing it to them.

And now, once every two weeks or so, someone asks if anyone else wants to watch it. I really do love this movie so much.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Hewlett posted:

Totally. It's not often I see a film that feels like it was made especially for me. Like they reached into my brain and pulled out all the stuff I want to see and made it happen.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No kidding. Randomly picked this up from Redbox a couple weeks back expecting absolutely nothing (maybe I had visions of the Stallone movie dancing in my head), and was utterly floored. Just a kickass movie through and through.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Why didn't the bomb explode in the end? Was it a bluff?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Why didn't the bomb explode in the end? Was it a bluff?

As Dredd correctly guessed, the signal wasn't strong enough to make it all the way to the top floor of a kilometre-high concrete building.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hewlett posted:

Seriously. Xenomrph, I hope you love this one as much as we all did. I was talking about it earlier tonight with some friends and I think I'm gonna watch it again tomorrow.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I rewatched the movie recently and caught that the main mercenary Judge's name is Lex. Dredd literally Fought The Law (and lost). Dredd's strict brand of law enforcement needed Anderson's slightly more tolerant approach to get out alive. I'd have to watch it again some time to get more out of it, but there's definitely some subtext going on there.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

John Dough posted:

I rewatched the movie recently and caught that the main mercenary Judge's name is Lex. Dredd literally Fought The Law (and lost). Dredd's strict brand of law enforcement needed Anderson's slightly more tolerant approach to get out alive. I'd have to watch it again some time to get more out of it, but there's definitely some subtext going on there.

For those that don't know, Lex is latin for Law.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

John Dough posted:

I thought the movie was dripping with social commentary, but it never winks at you to let you know. There's no dumb speech where Dredd drones on about justice and the law, and it never stops being an exciting dystopian action movie. I went into it with no expectations, but if you had told me the latest Dredd movie would make me question whether or not I was rooting for Dredd, I wouldn't have believed you.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
The score for this movie is pretty amazing. I was looking at the extended Kick-rear end 2 trailer and it uses music from Dredd very effectively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nje6dcArZrI

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Any euro-goons know if the bluray version from Amazon UK has had its issues sorted out?

Apparently the picture quality is horrible according to these 1-star reviews.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Krowley posted:

Any euro-goons know if the bluray version from Amazon UK has had its issues sorted out?

Apparently the picture quality is horrible according to these 1-star reviews.

The thing is that they actually shot the movie with cameras that can be very noisy especially in low light. I noticed the noisiness in the theater too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

I thought the movie was dripping with social commentary, but it never winks at you to let you know. There's no dumb speech where Dredd drones on about justice and the law, and it never stops being an exciting dystopian action movie. I went into it with no expectations, but if you had told me the latest Dredd movie would make me question whether or not I was rooting for Dredd, I wouldn't have believed you.
Its not that hard to root for Dredd. He fight obivous bad guys, he doesn't kill people that didn't try to kill him, he isn't corrupt, incompetent or cruel. He's really not that different from John McClane to use another fictional cop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Its not that hard to root for Dredd. He fight obivous bad guys, he doesn't kill people that didn't try to kill him, he isn't corrupt, incompetent or cruel. He's really not that different from John McClane to use another fictional cop.

Not exactly comparable given how Dredd is judge, jury and executioner while John McClane is along the line of more traditional law enforcement.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

etalian posted:

Not exactly comparable given how Dredd is judge, jury and executioner while John McClane is along the line of more traditional law enforcement.

Yeah I loved all the scenes of John McClane arresting all those bad guys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah I loved all the scenes of John McClane arresting all those bad guys.

"And now I got a pair of handcuffs. Ho, ho, ho"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
He's supposed to be future America Dirty Harry geez guys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Alhazred posted:

The main difference is they suggest that the death and violence aren't standard procedure for those fictional cops, with Dredd however Peach Trees was basically another day on the job for him. He is a ruthless enforcer of a fascist ideology, the important thing is that he truly believes in the ideals of the law and justice and applies it to all without fear of consequence or interest in personal gain, that equality is one of the few things that allows you to root for him at all.

• Locked thread