Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Me missus is lookin fer a job u kno but she dont wana werk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo R posted:

How are your balls!? Did you get them fixed!!???

For those of you heading to Thailand, I highly recommend the grilled chicken at "Gai Ha Dow" (Five Star Chicken):

I find it better than other grilled chicken stalls/vendors as they tend to be dry. I've heard Isaan people like it dry which is why they make them that way but I like it juicy and Gai Ha Dow delivers.

I found one of those on accident like six years ago and stopped dead on the sidewalk and went "WTF is this, Thai people don't rotisserie chickens" then I bought and ate two of them like Henry VIII.

Issan people like their BBQ juicy too. It's just the vendors often dry the poo poo out because they leave it on the grill all the time to be able to cook/reheat it faster for customers. The solution (in Issan) is to only get BBQ at certain times of the day when you know the vendor has just started cooking a batch (breakfast, lunch, dinner) instead of just whenever. Otherwise you get somtam ka, unless you're hungry ka, then arai godai.

ReindeerF posted:

Me missus is lookin fer a job u kno but she dont wana werk.

Twerkin is werkin unless it aint #LMFAO #YOLO

raton fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2013

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
You guys need to shut up about Thailand and start talking about other countries again. You're beginning to make me want to go back but I can't go back 3 times in 3 years.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Let's start dissin Brunei yo.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Brimmy posted:

You guys need to shut up about Thailand and start talking about other countries again. You're beginning to make me want to go back but I can't go back 3 times in 3 years.

Psh, of course you can :colbert:

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
Protip for Bangkok- Nasa Vegas Hotel is the best 15 dollar room I've ever had in Bangkok. The location sucks, but its on the airport link and is the perfect hotel if you have an early flight in the morning.

You can also rent serviced studios there for like 150 dollars a month if you feel like slumming it.

http://www.nasavegashotel.com/

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Brimmy posted:

4 times in 4 years here, just got back a few weeks ago.

Finally went to the Full Moon Party on KPN. Stayed in Ko Samui and took a boat over. Would totally recommend doing that. Also went back to Siem Reap, that place has exploded with chinese hotels since I was last there in 2009. The overload route is also more a pain in the rear end on the Cambodian side. For some reason they are also digging up the road from Poipet to Siem Reap to do... something. It just screams Cambodia to me; they had this awesome modern road and couldn't handle it, so now they are making it lovely again.

Also decided to have my final mean in Bangkok at some quasi-nice restaurant in Central World. Order the "Thai Curry Sampler" and got food poisoning for my entire flight back to JFK. Threw up on the plane (in those little barf bags) the second I sat down in my seat in Bangkok; my fellow passengers loved me. It was a long 22 hours. Good anecdote for anyone who gets apprehensive about street food. I was eating street and local food for years all around SE Asia and never once got sick outside of an minor upset stomach. Once I eat somewhere nice, it ends up quite badly.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Senso posted:

Tell me more about Brunei. I met this ethnic Chinese girl from Brunei and she was really cute and smart and spoke really good English, Mandarin and Malay with pretty good Cantonese.

Too bad she drank the Herbalife kool-aid.

Which in retrospect suggests that she was not actually very smart.

She only had nice things to say about the Sultan though. I guess they really like that Sultan. I like talking about sultans.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Brimmy posted:

Can't be helped :shrug: My last trip to Thailand was just a friday night flight and a Sunday night back to Hong Kong. It's not my fault for flying Air Asia and seeing some Korean goons :colbert:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Something we can all get behind. Hey, guys, let's go driving around at midnight and drinking coffee -tee hee!

B-Rad posted:

Protip for Bangkok- Nasa Vegas Hotel is the best 15 dollar room I've ever had in Bangkok. The location sucks, but its on the airport link and is the perfect hotel if you have an early flight in the morning.
Used to be really famous, apparently. Like it was one of the original party time hotels here.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Also decided to have my final mean in Bangkok at some quasi-nice restaurant in Central World.
Never eat Thai food at the mall.

caberham posted:

Can't be helped :shrug: My last trip to Thailand was just a friday night flight and a Sunday night back to Hong Kong. It's not my fault for flying Air Asia and seeing some Korean goons :colbert:
You do hold the record for coming to Bangkok and managing to meet only non-Bangkok goons after that katoey stole your phone you lost your phone.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
On that note, can someone explain to me why everyone is obsessed with Herbalife in SEA?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Cause people everywhere want to get rich quick and not have to work very hard!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

xcdude24 posted:

On that note, can someone explain to me why everyone is obsessed with Herbalife in SEA?
Take a heavily hierarchical society ordered entirely by family and social networks and now add multi-level marketing and watch your chia pet grow.

SE Asia is a dumping ground for the MLM scams of yesteryear. Even Amway is still huge here. There's a long thing I have about broad consumer trends that's difficult to discuss because you have to have lived both sides of it for it to make sense, but consumer credit is just happening here, first-time homebuyer incentives are just happening here, first-time car buyer incentives are just happening here and we're about halfway (2/3?) through the MLM stuff. You can stick your finger on a graph of American consumer marketing from about thirty years ago and, discounting technology specifically, just start tracing in real time.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 15, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
5-Star Chicken is a Thai chain owned by CP, so you're basically getting processed, pre-breaded and possibly pre-cooked chicken. I've never had it in Vietnam, but there's no reason anyone should ever eat there in Thailand. There's far too much fantastic fried chicken all over. I'd be shocked if the Vietnamese variant is better than a typical nuoc mam fried chicken.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
FWIW the Thai community here in New York has been plagued by that Herbalife poo poo for like six months now. I keep yelling at the peepun about why it's such crap and the answer is always some "But Jintara so rich now" bullshit. It's like they have the same resistance to phony marketing schemes that the Native Americans had to smallpox (or that the mainland Chinese have to propaganda and nicotine).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

(or that the mainland Chinese have to propaganda and nicotine).

Or other MLM schemes. I need to come up with one. They run rampant in Hong Kong and the mainland. Get-rich-quick schemes and all that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If we ever need to colonize Asia again (I mean directly instead of the soft colonization we have set up now where they produce everything but our lawyers ensure we still own the real value of that production) we can just take our Army of retired pick up artists, monetize/repurpose their malingering into commodities and transactions, and let them loose.

The Mystery Multilevel Method.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bloodnose posted:

Or other MLM schemes. I need to come up with one. They run rampant in Hong Kong and the mainland. Get-rich-quick schemes and all that.
We still have new ones, but you have to be creative in concept in a country that's already gone through several decades of your stupid cousin calling to schedule lunch to discuss "a business opportunity." People are mostly no longer impressed or fooled by simple pyramid schemes. Turns out, via Facebook, one of my hardest working friends from back home who didn't go the white collar route is mired in some bullshit called Ambit Energy along with a bunch of Eastern European immigrants. Ambit's a pyramid scheme piggybacking the idea of populist, low cost energy and it's the kind of lovely scam that gets busted by the FTC eventually, but Mary Kay, for example, is just legitimate enough (while being largely a scam) to stay out of legal trouble.

The lesson learned in the American MLM world was that you need to have an MLM scam that makes money long-term and that the brainwashing alone won't keep it going, which is why Mary Kay is still around and you almost never hear about Amway anymore. Or just found a church. If anyone's found a more successful mass-market MLM scam than Pat Robertson's empire or Miscavige's Scientology empire, please detail it for forensic study.

Over here anyone can still pull the really facepalm level, non-religious stuff and it still works, but give people a few decades of getting suckered and it'll play itself out (just about the time they're obese and up to their necks in debt, like we are back home).

Smeef posted:

5-Star Chicken is a Thai chain owned by CP, so you're basically getting processed, pre-breaded and possibly pre-cooked chicken. I've never had it in Vietnam, but there's no reason anyone should ever eat there in Thailand. There's far too much fantastic fried chicken all over. I'd be shocked if the Vietnamese variant is better than a typical nuoc mam fried chicken.
The gai yang is pretty popular among expats here, but the Thai folks seem to love the fried stuff more. I'll eat it after a run sometimes, but if there's a real gai yang place around I'll always opt for that (unless it's obviously been sitting there for like 4 hours).

Of course CP is maybe the single largest chicken producer in the world (it's definitely one of the very top producers), with tendrils reaching all over Southeast Asia and even into China, so unless you're buying from a verifiable farm source in Thailand you're probably eating a CP chicken even when it comes from the wet market. There's a really good outfit out of Saraburi that does free range chicken and organic stuff is getting more popular, at least in Bangkok, so it is possible, but not easy to avoid CP stuff.

EDIT: CP Wiki

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 15, 2013

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
If there's any white meat it's definitely from CP. Those skinny rear end little backyard chickens have drumsticks the size of wings, but drat if they aren't tasty.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Most chicken at the warungs on Java is the skinny backyard variety and I loved it. You have to adjust a bit at first because there's less meat on there, but it's way more tasty.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 15, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Back where I'm from, we refer to that as "yardbird." In fact, you can go to Leon's in Galveston an order golden fried yardbird.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I like em artificially envitamined with big fat juicy thighs

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Back where I'm from, we refer to that as "yardbird." In fact, you can go to Leon's in Galveston an order golden fried yardbird.

It's called Kampung chicken in Malaysia.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
What's with Thailand and Hitler?

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/chulalongkorn-university-in-thailand-sorry-for-adolf-hitler-superhero-mural/story-fndir2ev-1226679865024

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
He so cute ^__^

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 16, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Cambodia question: If I'd like to spend 3-4 days just chilling on the beach and relaxing, where would be the best place (clean beaches, not too many tourists)? I've heard of Kep, Sihanoukville...

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's the same in Indo. They're not taught about the Nazis in the same way we are. As far as most of my students know, Hitler was a very powerful man who conquered a bunch of countries very quickly. Lots of people died but that's what war is like, yeah?

I told my students to draw 'stadium' and one of them comes back with a picture of "LIVE! THE HITLER 1,2,3!" which sounds like the worst k-pop band I would own every album of.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hitler sanook ka

VVV Actual answer below. Thai people often don't take things seriously. One of those things is Hitler. There's generally not much rhyme or reason behind what they're serious about and what they're not serious about. I can't really explain why but Hitler is something that Thai people pretty much all have agreed is a funny joke to make and it takes a lot to change the hive mind (Google "Mechai" to see an example where it's been done, though).

raton fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 16, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

It's the same in Indo. They're not taught about the Nazis in the same way we are. As far as most of my students know, Hitler was a very powerful man who conquered a bunch of countries very quickly. Lots of people died but that's what war is like, yeah?

I told my students to draw 'stadium' and one of them comes back with a picture of "LIVE! THE HITLER 1,2,3!" which sounds like the worst k-pop band I would own every album of.
It's actually worth this historical ignorance to get to watch every Western media outlet flip out once a month as if these kids are reading Mein Kampf and screening Triumph of the Will or something - followed by earnestly explaining to Thai people why they should care. I believe the SJW crowd would make up some poorly formed portmanteau for this, like Westsplaining.

EDIT: I guess in today's climate of gotcha stuff, I should point out that Hitler was a very bad man and not a hero and he should not be featured next to other inspirational historical figures such as Iron Man and whoever the dude in the red suit with the gold star is.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

whoever the dude in the red suit with the gold star is.
That's also Iron Man.

Man, if they love anybody more than Hitler, it's Iron Man.

edit: oh god I missed that guy in the picture. I thought you were making a Stalin joke.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 16, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also plastic army men.

And is that supposed to be Hanuman over on the right? Holy poo poo Thailand, draw Hanuman better.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Senso posted:

Cambodia question: If I'd like to spend 3-4 days just chilling on the beach and relaxing, where would be the best place (clean beaches, not too many tourists)? I've heard of Kep, Sihanoukville...

More specifically than Kep, Rabbit Island (Koh Tonsay) is the best spot. It's an island a few km off of the coast of the town that is home (when I was last there a few years ago) to maybe 10 families, three of which run small groups of bungalows and offer meals, drinks, beers, inner tubes to rent, etc. There isn't anything to do on the island besides chill on the beach and maybe walk around the island (which takes around 3-4 hours, depending on whether the tide is in or out). Accommodations are a bit spartan, so if you're looking to treat yourself, maybe stay in one of the nicer Kep mainland hotels on your first or last night, but I definitely think the tranquility of Rabbit Island is worth two nights.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

CronoGamer posted:

More specifically than Kep, Rabbit Island (Koh Tonsay) is the best spot. It's an island a few km off of the coast of the town that is home (when I was last there a few years ago) to maybe 10 families, three of which run small groups of bungalows and offer meals, drinks, beers, inner tubes to rent, etc. There isn't anything to do on the island besides chill on the beach and maybe walk around the island (which takes around 3-4 hours, depending on whether the tide is in or out). Accommodations are a bit spartan, so if you're looking to treat yourself, maybe stay in one of the nicer Kep mainland hotels on your first or last night, but I definitely think the tranquility of Rabbit Island is worth two nights.

Yeah I'd go with this. Cambodia's beaches are not as impressive as Thailand or Vietnam but Koh Tonsay is a great place to chill out and it's only a 20 minutes boat ride from Kep, so it's not a problem if you don't want to spend the whole time there. Kep itself is a sleepy little seaside town with pretty surroundings and great seafood. It's my favourite getaway place from Phnom Penh.

Sihanoukville on the other hand is kinda sleazy, and only really worth it if you want to get drunk with backpackers and/or go diving.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Senso posted:

Otres Beach in Sihanoukville isn't bad, not a lot of people here due to the rainy season and less vendors compared to the other beaches in the town.

There are two parts and Otres 2 is apparently quieter than Otres 1. I'm on 1 so I can't verify it because I can't be hosed to walk all way down the beach.

A nice place to stay in is Otres Orchid, it's not on the beach but across the road. The bungalows are bamboo which is way more secure than your average thatched bungalow and have ensuite bathrooms with hot water. No restaurant but just walk across the street to one of the beachfront places.

Edit: there are a lot of better options than Sihanoukville tbh but if you really want to come here, Otres is nice.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Which Cambodian beach features the most pantless Hitlers? Let's stop beating around the bush, this is the real metric.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Yeah, I forgot it would be the rain season in southern Cambodia too... If I want sea, sex and sun I'd better go to Nha Trang or Hoi An then. Might give Koh Tonsay a try though, looks cool for 2-3 days.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

Which Cambodian beach features the most pantless Hitlers? Let's stop beating around the bush, this is the real metric.

The very first time i walked out onto Otres I saw a German geezer getting a handjob under his towel from a Cambodian teenager, I'm pretty sure that counts

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Hi, guys, I am going to Jarkata for 2 days, any recommendations? I am looking forward to historical spots and good massage places. I understand it's Ramadan now, but is it hard to find a good restaurant during daytime? Thanks in advance!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Jakarta isn't like the middle east, you should be able to find food during the day. I see local people eating at the cafes around my office all the time. Expect packed restaurants between 6 and 10pm as people go out to break their fast. Also traffic will be especially bad starting at around 3 (God help you if it rains).

I'm pretty new to Jakarta myself but my local co-workers tell me to go to Kota aka Old Jakarta for some history. I haven't been myself so I can't give first hand experience but it looked kinda meh to me. There really isn't a whole lot culturally speaking that I've found to be honest. It's not like Bangkok where there are a bunch of sweet temples and palaces etc inside the city limits.

I tried a massage place in a strip mall near my apartment in Mega Kuningan, cost $10 for an hour. Probably could get it cheaper since I live in a big expat area.

When are you going to be in town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CronoGamer posted:

The very first time i walked out onto Otres I saw a German geezer getting a handjob under his towel from a Cambodian teenager, I'm pretty sure that counts

It may be as close as we're gonna get. As close as I want to get, personally