Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You might as well just wait until 10.1.2 is released (shortly), since there's another APK verification vulnerability that's getting patched up.
Oh, what's this one all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tunga posted:

Oh, what's this one all about?
It's another ZipFile decompressor flaw, similar in spirit to the last one, that allows for the injection of a unsigned classes.dex.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Alright, having an issue with the camera app in cm10.1 on my D2USC. If I hold my phone horizontally while filming a video, it doesn't actually film in the horizontal aspect ratio. The video is instead in the vertical aspect ratio but stretched wide. The videos also seem to be lower resolution, as though the phone's just zooming in on the vertical video to fill the screen. It looks this way on the phone's actual screen while filming, in addition to on the final video files.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Alright, having an issue with the camera app in cm10.1 on my D2USC. If I hold my phone horizontally while filming a video, it doesn't actually film in the horizontal aspect ratio. The video is instead in the vertical aspect ratio but stretched wide. The videos also seem to be lower resolution, as though the phone's just zooming in on the vertical video to fill the screen. It looks this way on the phone's actual screen while filming, in addition to on the final video files.
Google camera or CM camera?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Alright, having an issue with the camera app in cm10.1 on my D2USC.
What's the exact build? Does this happen every time?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the exact build? Does this happen every time?

RC4, every time, it's whichever camera app is standard in CM 10.1, I haven't sideloaded a google one or anything.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RC4, every time, it's whichever camera app is standard in CM 10.1, I haven't sideloaded a google one or anything.
Can you try 10.1.2 and see if it's still a problem? It's worth upgrading due to the recent security issues, just make a CWM backup incase poo poo happens.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Can you try 10.1.2 and see if it's still a problem? It's worth upgrading due to the recent security issues, just make a CWM backup incase poo poo happens.

Yeah. I'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's not a matter of sideloading. The 4.2 GApps by default come with the Google camera and remove the CM one. The 4.1 GApps were the other way around. The easiest way to tell which you have is whether you have Picasa sync in the Gallery. (Would be in ⋮ > Settings).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

It's not a matter of sideloading. The 4.2 GApps by default come with the Google camera and remove the CM one. The 4.1 GApps were the other way around. The easiest way to tell which you have is whether you have Picasa sync in the Gallery. (Would be in ⋮ > Settings).

No Picasa. I just updated and it seems okay now. Now I'm having some blue tooth dropouts when I use my phone on my car though.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Speaking of Bluetooth, I can't even use my car's Bluetooth with my HTC One with Paranoid Android, which I think is based off of CM 10.1. people I call say I sound like I'm underwater or hanging my head out the window. Any fix or is this a known bug?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm new to rooting and flashing ROMs so please pardon me if this is a common question.

edit: I figured out how to enable developer options!

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 16, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide on putting a nexus 4 back to stock? I managed to root and install a custom recovery using the method in this thread via fastboot, is it just a matter of flashing the stock image in fastboot then relocking the bootloader again?

Theres a guide on xda but it says something about unzipping the factory image and flashing bits seperately?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anime and cars posted:

Is there a good guide on putting a nexus 4 back to stock? I managed to root and install a custom recovery using the method in this thread via fastboot, is it just a matter of flashing the stock image in fastboot then relocking the bootloader again?

Theres a guide on xda but it says something about unzipping the factory image and flashing bits seperately?
Extract the contents of the main zip and copy the two img and one zip file to your fastboot folder (or add the paths to the commands below or whatever).

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.48.img
fastboot -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip

In order, that flashes the bootloader, flashes the radio, and flashes the main ROM with a factory reset (-w flag), with reboots between each step.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Extract the contents of the main zip and copy the two img and one zip file to your fastboot folder (or add the paths to the commands below or whatever).

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img
fastboot flash radio radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.48.img
fastboot -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip

In order, that flashes the bootloader, flashes the radio, and flashes the main ROM with a factory reset (-w flag), with reboots between each step.

Do I realy need to reflash the radio? But thanks, i'll give that a go when I get a chance.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

anime and cars posted:

Do I realy need to reflash the radio? But thanks, i'll give that a go when I get a chance.
If you know that you haven't changed it then you can skip that. That's the full hog way to get back to stock no matter where you are right now.

There's also a bat file which comes in the zip which will run these commands for you if you prefer.

Oh and after that you would run "fastboot oem lock" but you probably know that part :) .

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Just posting that my battery life has been excellent with recent cm nightlies on my HTC one :goleft:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I thought this was a good and up to date guide to cyanogenmods features. I don't follow cyanogenmod development very closely except when a stable release is coming so there were some features I didn't know about despite having used cyanogenmod for ~3 years. http://www.addictivetips.com/android/cyanogenmod-10-1-complete-review-guide/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for this, I have been thinking about jumping back on the CM train and I'd lost track of the recent additions.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

ArgaWarga posted:

Just posting that my battery life has been excellent with recent cm nightlies on my HTC one :goleft:

I've been playing around with Paranoid Android on my HTC One... Any differences that I should start using CM nightlies for? I think PA is based on a much older CM base.

Do you know if they fixed in call bluetooth calling?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it's entirely appropriate for this thread, but Ubuntu has an official nightly out for the N4 (Mako).

Looks pretty straight forward and not entirely poo poo.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2324683

Here is a nice demo vid. A little outdated but the basics are there.

Edit: It's cool from a technical standpoint, thought it was worth mentioning. :)

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 17, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

I don't know if it's entirely appropriate for this thread, but Ubuntu has an official nightly out for the N4 (Mako).

Looks pretty straight forward and not entirely poo poo.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2324683

Here is a nice demo vid. A little outdated but the basics are there.

Edit: It's cool from a technical standpoint, thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Heads up it's not real Ubuntu what they did was take a CM base/drivers then use that to build a UI on top of. There's nothing wrong with that of course but they are relying on the CM base for basic interactions with device and drivers.

That's how they are able to get onto any device that supports CM.

Of course the only other solution would be to make drivers for every single low level component themselves instead of drafting off all of the work that has been already done for CM/Android.

Yeah it looks pretty neat and I have high hopes.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I've been playing with CM nightlies on my HTC One. I found that the only thing I have issues with is the proximity sensor. Sometimes when I'm on a call I will accidentally hit a number or button on the touchpad.

Anyone have that problem? Is this a ROM issue or firmware issue?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
On a scale of 1-100 how OK is it to dirty-flash cm10.1.2 stable over cm10 stable? (ATT GS3) I've close to always done full wipe on my old phone between CM versions even when I knew I didn't really have to.

I would need a new gapps yes?

Edit: : just did it + new gapps. No problems so far see how it goes. Still, how normal is wiping/not wiping between relatively/sorta major cm versions? It is a whole android version upgrade.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 18, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there something wrong with the map in Locations in Google+ on some ROMs (notably CM)? I can see people, but don't see the actual map. I thought I saw a post while perusing G+ the other day, but I can't find it again.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Wagonburner posted:

Edit: : Still, how normal is wiping/not wiping between relatively/sorta major cm versions? It is a whole android version upgrade.

The CM devs make sure that common upgrade paths are tested. I'd be worried about doing CM7 to CM10.1.2, but CM10 to CM10.1 is covered just fine. Sometimes certain apps require a full data reset, such as the Clock or Apollo, but generally those issues are fixed by the time a stable build comes out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Is there something wrong with the map in Locations in Google+ on some ROMs (notably CM)? I can see people, but don't see the actual map. I thought I saw a post while perusing G+ the other day, but I can't find it again.
Search my post history for the solution. I'm mobile and can't do it myself.

e: I'm almost certain it's in the general thread and if not there then the apps thread. I definitely didn't post it in this one.

e2: It was in the apps thread. Some have reported that simply converting Google+ to a system app worked, but that did not work for me (Google+ would simply Force Close on launching). Moving the libs makes it work perfectly but remember you will need to edit your CM backup script or else the changes will be overwritten every time you flash a nightly.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 18, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So I just caught my phone attempting to patch the kernel used in unlocking my Razr M's bootloader. The exploit has been known since April of this year, so I guess Motorola/Verizon are pretty intent on stopping it. Fortunately, I have the update in a state of deadlock, due to my phone's charge being too low.

In any case, it's brought back the old argument I had when I first got this thing. Initially, since the phone came with 4.1 already, I knew nothing about rooting, and if I bricked the phone I'd be screwed since I wouldn't see another discount on a replacement from Verizon until 2015 (even though I bought the phone on Amazon). Fast forward seven months later, any manufacturer warrant is probably nil anyway, and I never pay Verizon for anything more than my service; but, I still have no idea what I'm doing.

I need someone to hold my hand and I know it sounds stupid; but, while I have ]he tools to root, as well as the unlocker, and have somewhat picked out a ROM to flash, I still know nothing about important things like what to back up, how to back it up, what to do in case something blows up at each stage, and something I'd really like to know: what superuser binaries am I supposed to put on a Razr M?

Anyway, I don't want to puff up the thread with a series of back and forths while I attempt to not kill my phone, so if someone could direct me via IRC, messaging, or otherwise, I'd appreciate it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Search my post history for the solution. I'm mobile and can't do it myself.

e: I'm almost certain it's in the general thread and if not there then the apps thread. I definitely didn't post it in this one.

e2: It was in the apps thread. Some have reported that simply converting Google+ to a system app worked, but that did not work for me (Google+ would simply Force Close on launching). Moving the libs makes it work perfectly but remember you will need to edit your CM backup script or else the changes will be overwritten every time you flash a nightly.

I've never messed with the backup script, but since I'm trying Franco's kernel again, I figure it might be good to start. Do you have a link to a guide?

Also, is there a way to move the apk with EStrong's? I just tried, and got a "permission denied" toast. I have enabled root mode in EStrongs.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 18, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I've never messed with the backup script, but since I'm trying Franco's kernel again, I figure it might be good to start. Do you have a link to a guide?

Also, is there a way to move the apk with EStrong's? I just tried, and got a "permission denied" toast. I have enabled root mode in EStrongs.
Here is an xda link to how scripts work.

This is my backup script:
code:
#!/sbin/sh
# 
# /system/addon.d/91-cm.sh
# During a CM10 upgrade, this script backs up /system/etc/hosts,
# /system is formatted and reinstalled, then the file is restored.
#

. /tmp/backuptool.functions

list_files() {
cat <<EOF
app/com.nolanlawson.logcat.apk
lib/libplus_jni_v8.so
lib/librs.antblur_constant.so
lib/librs.antblur_drama.so
lib/librs.antblur.so
lib/librs.drama.so
lib/librs.film_base.so
lib/fixedframe.so
lib/grey.so
lib/image_wrapper.so
lib/retrolux.so
lib/librsjni.so
lib/libRSSupport.so
lib/libwebp_android.so
app/com.google.android.apps.plus.apk
EOF
}

case "$1" in
  backup)
    list_files | while read FILE DUMMY; do
      backup_file $S/"$FILE"
    done
  ;;
  restore)
    list_files | while read FILE REPLACEMENT; do
      R=""
      [ -n "$REPLACEMENT" ] && R="$S/$REPLACEMENT"
      [ -f "$C/$S/$FILE" ] && restore_file $S/"$FILE" "$R"
    done
	rm /system/app/Calendar.apk
	rm /system/app/CMFileManager.apk
	rm /system/app/CMFileManagerThemes.apk
	rm /system/app/CMWallpapers.apk
	rm /system/app/Email2.apk
	rm /system/app/Exchange2.apk
	rm /system/app/Galaxy4.apk
	rm /system/app/HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk
	rm /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
	rm /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
	rm /system/app/NoiseField.apk
	rm /system/app/PhaseBeam.apk
	rm /system/app/QuickSearchBox.apk
	rm /system/app/Trebuchet.apk
	rm /system/app/VideoEditor.apk
	rm /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
  ;;
  pre-backup)
    # Stub
  ;;
  post-backup)
    # Stub
  ;;
  pre-restore)
    # Stub
  ;;
  post-restore)
    # Stub
  ;;
esac
The files under the line "cat <<EOF" are what will be backed up and restored after each flash. The lines beginning with "rm" are files that CM flashes that I don't want. You can remove all of those lines or add paths to files you'd prefer be removed. Note that I have CatLog backed up and restored after each flash at the top, you'll need to remove that too (if the script fails on a line I believe the entire rest of the script is aborted). The rest of the backup lines are the libs you need and the Google+ apk. This script gets placed in the /system/addon.d folder (with other scripts that will look the same) and should be named 91-cm.sh or something similar.

Yes, you can use Estrong's (I did). Are you sure you have root permissions? Don't use Titanium's "Make System App" function as when I did it, I couldn't find the libs at all and G+ just stopped working altogether. Fortunately I had copied the Google+ library folder over to my Mac before trying it or I'd have been in a pickle.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Yes, you can use Estrong's (I did). Are you sure you have root permissions? Don't use Titanium's "Make System App" function as when I did it, I couldn't find the libs at all and G+ just stopped working altogether. Fortunately I had copied the Google+ library folder over to my Mac before trying it or I'd have been in a pickle.

It turns out the root explorer function of the newer EStrong's works differently than the old one, and I hadn't enabled R/W access. I ended up doing the apk and lib move in the meantime with CM's file manager. I'll take a look at this script thing; it looks pretty straightforward. Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

It turns out the root explorer function of the newer EStrong's works differently than the old one, and I hadn't enabled R/W access. I ended up doing the apk and lib move in the meantime with CM's file manager. I'll take a look at this script thing; it looks pretty straightforward. Thanks.
It is straightforward. The only thing I always forget is that for the backup lines, you don't include "/system/" in the path. So if you want to backup /system/app/ThisAppIWant.apk you'd put the line "app/ThisAppIWant.apk". Obviously this means you can only backup things that are in the /system/ directory.

The removal lines however require the full path to what you'd like deleted.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

hooah posted:

How so? I'm trying to copy an adblock hosts file into etc and keep getting permission denied. I did the root explorer from the menu and clicked "r/w" and then told it to be r/w on both / and /system but still getting blocked here.

edit: getting no superuser prompts or toasts from es either.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 18, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I can't get estrongs to do any root stuff anymore either. I gave up and switched.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

I can't get estrongs to do any root stuff anymore either. I gave up and switched.
It works fine for me. It used to crash just after a reboot when editing a text file but CM added lockscreen rotation and now I don't have to edit any text files so WORKSFORME.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So I just caught my phone attempting to patch the kernel used in unlocking my Razr M's bootloader. The exploit has been known since April of this year, so I guess Motorola/Verizon are pretty intent on stopping it. Fortunately, I have the update in a state of deadlock, due to my phone's charge being too low.

In any case, it's brought back the old argument I had when I first got this thing. Initially, since the phone came with 4.1 already, I knew nothing about rooting, and if I bricked the phone I'd be screwed since I wouldn't see another discount on a replacement from Verizon until 2015 (even though I bought the phone on Amazon). Fast forward seven months later, any manufacturer warrant is probably nil anyway, and I never pay Verizon for anything more than my service; but, I still have no idea what I'm doing.
As long as you've postponed the update you can root it easily with motochopper: http://www.andromods.com/root-unlock/new-rooted-method-droid-razr-maxx-hd-jelly-bean.html

After that if you want to unlock the bootloader, it's also easy to do (I've only rooted for Titanium Backup & Autostarts, but it's a one-click tool to unlock) : http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2013/04/08/motorola-bootloader-unlocking/

quote:

and something I'd really like to know: what superuser binaries am I supposed to put on a Razr M?
SuperSU works fine, however if you plan to do OTA updates at any point you'd want to make a backup of the latest updated binary with OTA Rootkeeper and use that to restore.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
If anyone is curious on getting LTE on a Nexus 4, hit me up. I was able to get it working on mine by rooting it, installing custom recovery, flashing the 2.0.1700.33 radio (latest one that supports access to the LTE chip), and then installing CM10.1 Stable with a slightly modified build.prop.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I just went back to stock 4.2.2 on my Verizon Gnex from CM 10.1. I know I was able to set a custom vibrate pattern on the stock messaging app when I was using CM but now that I'm back on stock, (after restoring apps with Titanium Backup) I don't see the option available. Does CM use a different SMS app or am I just missing something really obvious?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Tatsujin posted:

If anyone is curious on getting LTE on a Nexus 4, hit me up. I was able to get it working on mine by rooting it, installing custom recovery, flashing the 2.0.1700.33 radio (latest one that supports access to the LTE chip), and then installing CM10.1 Stable with a slightly modified build.prop.

Are you on T-Mobile? There's a "one click" LTE mod that I used on Stock JB, I'm on AT&T though so it doesn't really benefit me. I was hoping they have a few 1700Mhz towers in Seattle but I'm still on HSPA :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pilkington posted:

I just went back to stock 4.2.2 on my Verizon Gnex from CM 10.1. I know I was able to set a custom vibrate pattern on the stock messaging app when I was using CM but now that I'm back on stock, (after restoring apps with Titanium Backup) I don't see the option available. Does CM use a different SMS app or am I just missing something really obvious?
Yeah, CM has a modified SMS app which adds a few things like quick reply so it's probably part of that. It has definitely never been on AOSP Messaging.

Light Flow can do it.