Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

Activision is on there, but if you're meaning stuff like Warcraft and Starcraft then I suspect you're right. You can still get everything back as far as Starcraft from their own web store at least.
The first Diablo is at like #8 on their wishlist :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
Can somebody sell me on Independence War 1 and/or 2? I loved X-Wing and Tie Fighter but I haven't really played any space shooters since then, are they similar? Also do they have good mouse and keyboard controls?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PardonMeHippo posted:

Can somebody sell me on Independence War 1 and/or 2? I loved X-Wing and Tie Fighter but I haven't really played any space shooters since then, are they similar? Also do they have good mouse and keyboard controls?

Iirc, they don't support the mouse at all and the keyboard controls are awful.
The game uses newtonian physics, a joystick is a must.
A bit more hardcore than the Star Wars sims.
You fly a corvette instead of a fighter.

They're really quite good though, I'm fond of the sequel personally.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PardonMeHippo posted:

Read the manual and keyboard quicksheet. There's some stuff you might not figure out otherwise like formation/wingmate orders and remote piloting.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

If you dig HP Lovecraft and slower paced mystery horror then buy Clive Barker's Undying, it's great. It's on sale this week for $2.34
http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_clive_barkers_undying

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I played through Undying a month or so. When I started playing, a little ways in, I was slogging through boring brown catacombs filled with infinitely respawning skeletons, with a severe lack of healing items on hand. I seriously considered just abandoning it and playing another game, but I decided to stick with it and see it through.

Some time later, I found myself running around a dead ringer for the opening levels of Unreal. A caveman in Sting facepaint was shooting spears at me from across a canyon, but he couldn't get through my magic shield. So he leapt over the canyon at me, only to be sliced in half by my big fuckoff scythe before he landed. Briefly, I thought back to the catacombs. I shook my head, and laughed. Then I flew into the air and launched a cackling skull at a pack of land-piranha, which blew them to smithereens.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should buy Undying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK, I finished Ultima 2, and now I'm on Ultima 3, and I've come to the conclusion the ONLY way to succeed in these games is to be a dick. Like, the games are actually designed (deliberately or accidentally) where you HAVE to steal from towns and kill townspeople in order to even survive. It has happened in all three games.

Which is actually pretty amazing. You could probably write some kind of thesis based on these games.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think, similarly with Deus Ex an innumerable amounts of games that came out on the PC in the 90s, the first level of Undying is the most divisive part of the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

WASDF posted:

I think, similarly with Deus Ex an innumerable amounts of games that came out on the PC in the 90s, the first level of Undying is the most divisive part of the game.

What's the game's StC rating?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I think it's pretty high. Definitely a good buy if you're con-crates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

OK, I finished Ultima 2, and now I'm on Ultima 3, and I've come to the conclusion the ONLY way to succeed in these games is to be a dick. Like, the games are actually designed (deliberately or accidentally) where you HAVE to steal from towns and kill townspeople in order to even survive. It has happened in all three games.

Which is actually pretty amazing. You could probably write some kind of thesis based on these games.

IIRC, that's why the 4th game has such a heavy focus on "becoming the ultimate good guy"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jamesman posted:

It's telling that basically Richard Garriott thought the same thing you did when confronted with that claim ("Wow, video game characters are actually kind of amoral dicks/sociopaths, the anti-games people sort of have a point"), and thus Ultima 4/the Virtues came about. At least according to one account he shared of the time period.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011

Deakul posted:

Iirc, they don't support the mouse at all and the keyboard controls are awful.
The game uses newtonian physics, a joystick is a must.
A bit more hardcore than the Star Wars sims.
You fly a corvette instead of a fighter.

They're really quite good though, I'm fond of the sequel personally.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Read the manual and keyboard quicksheet. There's some stuff you might not figure out otherwise like formation/wingmate orders and remote piloting.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll borrow a joystick from my friend and check out I-war 2.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I really wanna get into Ultima just for the understanding of its cultural significance. Kind of like a field study of sorts. I'm afraid that it's far too old and archaic for me though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WASDF posted:

If you dig HP Lovecraft and slower paced mystery horror then buy Clive Barker's Undying, it's great. It's on sale this week for $2.34
http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_clive_barkers_undying

Since playing the Undying demo in the 1940's, I've been waiting for an opportunity to play this average game! Bought. But will I play it??????

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Mysteries abound!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

doctorfrog posted:

But will I play it??????

Never, but it will look neat on your shelf.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I wonder if Hyperblade will ever come out on GOG.

I wonder if anyone ever played Hyperblade.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It might be too young, but I'd like to see if The Suffering is actually a good game or that I just had bad taste when I was younger.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Sarkozymandias posted:

I wonder if Hyperblade will ever come out on GOG.

I wonder if anyone ever played Hyperblade.

Oh god, Hyperblade... I hope that's what I'm thinking of. The futuristic hockey game in kind of a bowl shaped arena where you could cut off a guy's head and score with it for extra points, right? I think it came with my first 3d accelerator (a Voodoo 1).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jamesman posted:

I beat 1 & 2 without being a bastard! 3 I never got into though.

But as others have mentioned, yours is not a winning strategy in 4.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 16, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WASDF posted:

It might be too young, but I'd like to see if The Suffering is actually a good game or that I just had bad taste when I was younger.
I played the PS2 version a few years ago and its a good game, the sequel is awful though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

WASDF posted:

I really wanna get into Ultima just for the understanding of its cultural significance. Kind of like a field study of sorts. I'm afraid that it's far too old and archaic for me though.

These early ones definitely haven't aged well. They are big ideas that are too big for the technology of the time, and it results in some very peculiar games. Charming in a way, but mostly broken and a little frustrating.

But if you have them, you might as well play them. Worse that happens is you don't want to keep playing them and you move onto the next game until you find one that holds your interest.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

uPen posted:

This is literally every PC game I have.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

uPen posted:

Sold. Purchased.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

But as others have mentioned, yours is not a winning strategy in 4.

Oh I beg to differ, I mean yeah eventually you have to do good things to win but in the interim...

WASDF posted:

Ultima 7, Serpent Isle, and the Underworlds are all still fairly approachable. And the fan remakes of 5 and 6 capture the spirit of those games extremely well.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Flumpus posted:

Oh god, Hyperblade... I hope that's what I'm thinking of. The futuristic hockey game in kind of a bowl shaped arena where you could cut off a guy's head and score with it for extra points, right? I think it came with my first 3d accelerator (a Voodoo 1).

That's the one. Reasonably certain everybody who owned it got it with their 3d accelerator. Despite the awful controls and lovely physics it had something I can't quite place that kept me compelled. Maybe it was the shoulder-checking skinny dudes into getting cut in half by laser hurdles and dancing a jig. Maybe it was having game-long perma-death on the teams.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

-snip-

oops, wrong thread!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I played the PS2 version a few years ago and its a good game, the sequel is awful though.

Have to disagree. The gameplay is exactly the same, being a direct sequel taking place practically 30 minutes after the first game ends. So the question boils down to which story you like more and I can't decide which game produced the best scares. The second game had my favorite villain, the Creeper, an effeminate, obese man with a huge overcoat that hides writhing tentacle-prostitutes with blades jutting from their mouths. Dr. Kiljoy, of course, steals the show in both games.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I really dug the first game and even finished maybe three times at least. I never finished the second. I'd be interested in getting them of GOG and play them again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really, really couldn't get into The Suffering when it went freeware a couple of years ago. It just seemed like the entire game was spooky room, followed by room full of maxing-out ammo and health pickups, followed by room where you spend fifteen minutes fighting endless respawns of one enemy, repeat. So loving uninspired. Did I miss something? Does it get better?

On that note, I can't get into Ultima because the entire thing seems to be predicated on how much you enjoy the story/atmosphere/writing and all that sort of thing, but to me it's just Richard Garriott's literal self-insert god figure and his D&D buddies having wacky adventures in a completely uninspired fantasy world with some of the most painfully forced ye olde Englishe I've ever seen. Can't take it remotely seriously. I only played 7, though, I should probably give 4-6 a try sometime.

This post came out a lot harsher than intended.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't remember the flow precisely but I know the thing I liked about the game the most wasn't the combat. I remember it having awesome enemies, cool levels, a neat story and some interesting characters. It was also kind of spooky at times.

On another note, I'm playing The Cat Lady and it is hosed up. Was not expecting it to be so dark, even after being warned in this thread.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SpRahl posted:

Oh I beg to differ, I mean yeah eventually you have to do good things to win but in the interim...

Still not a good idea, since every negative action you take has to be counteracted by multiple good ones. My first time playing the game as a kid I did it this way and ho-lee crap was grinding the virtues back up from deep in the negative tedious and time-consuming. Especially Valor and Justice, good god. It's much much much easier to play if you start as a good guy and stay that way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WASDF posted:

On another note, I'm playing The Cat Lady and it is hosed up. Was not expecting it to be so dark, even after being warned in this thread.

I quite enjoyed my time with it (I reviewed it when it was new), but I came away with this odd feeling that it would have made a better movie than a videogame. The puzzles almost felt like they were there simply because a point-and-click adventure needs puzzles, and while it was nice that some minor details in the script could be skewed by your decisions, it never came close to The Walking Dead levels of interaction.

Still a good, dark horror story, but perhaps in the wrong medium.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New release is Tzar: The Burden of the Crown, an RTS by the Bulgarian studio that went on to make Tropico 3 & 4 and Omerta. It's six bucks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have an old Tzar retail cd and is a good RTS (and I'm not a fan of that kind of game). Definately worth picking.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

Still not a good idea, since every negative action you take has to be counteracted by multiple good ones. My first time playing the game as a kid I did it this way and ho-lee crap was grinding the virtues back up from deep in the negative tedious and time-consuming. Especially Valor and Justice, good god. It's much much much easier to play if you start as a good guy and stay that way.

Seconded. I started off as a good guy and still had to grind lots of virtues which was super annoying. Especially giving to beggars. Easier to just do what you're supposed to. That's the point he was making anyway, I guess. A very enjoyable game, Ultima 4.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I really, really couldn't get into The Suffering when it went freeware a couple of years ago. It just seemed like the entire game was spooky room, followed by room full of maxing-out ammo and health pickups, followed by room where you spend fifteen minutes fighting endless respawns of one enemy, repeat. So loving uninspired. Did I miss something? Does it get better?

Since you said it went freeware, I figured I'd check it out and found out it was made freeware thanks to the United States Air Force? :psyduck:

I remember America's Army was developed as a recruitment tool but... Why... Why the gently caress would USAF do that with a horror game of all things? Did they just have too much money thanks to the Iraq war? Nothing says "join the Air Force" like a man strapped to an electric chair on the cover of your game.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I quite enjoyed my time with it (I reviewed it when it was new), but I came away with this odd feeling that it would have made a better movie than a videogame. The puzzles almost felt like they were there simply because a point-and-click adventure needs puzzles, and while it was nice that some minor details in the script could be skewed by your decisions, it never came close to The Walking Dead levels of interaction.

Still a good, dark horror story, but perhaps in the wrong medium.

This is perhaps true, but I must say I don't understand the universal desire for difficult puzzles in adventure games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

General Emergency posted:

Since you said it went freeware, I figured I'd check it out and found out it was made freeware thanks to the United States Air Force? :psyduck:

I remember America's Army was developed as a recruitment tool but... Why... Why the gently caress would USAF do that with a horror game of all things? Did they just have too much money thanks to the Iraq war? Nothing says "join the Air Force" like a man strapped to an electric chair on the cover of your game.

I tried to search for the answer to this, and most of the links I found were people on other forums asking the same question (the USAF backed the freeware versions of both the original and its sequel). There's a two paragraph article on Kotaku as well which basically just says, "here's your tax dollars at work lolz!"

Apparently the USAF also sponsored the freeware releases of "Area 51" (not the light-gun shooter) and "Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War" around the same time. While those still don't make as much sense as the straight recruitment tool that was America's Army, at least they are somewhat tangentially related to either the US government or general military strategy.

The USAF, Marines, Army, Navy, etc. all routinely use video games or video game-like imagery to sell themselves (I'm sure plenty of people here remember the infamous "Marine battling a giant computer rendered volcano monster" commercial- if not it gets posted every 20 posts in the D&D Picture thread). My guess is that the USAF was pretty much using any cheap video game properties which would accept their money to help convince kids they are awesome. The games were initially supported by in-game ads too, so perhaps they even made a few bucks while recruiting teenagers.

The Suffering games do technically involve issues like the death penalty and morality, and at the end of the first game depending on your good-neutral-evil balance you get a re-trial, escape, or become your "inner demon." Not sure if this factored into their thinking or if they even were really thinking, especially given the wild inappropriateness of the enemy types al-azad mentioned.

Edit for Kotaku link: http://kotaku.com/5066051/play-the-suffering-for-free-thanks-to-your-tax-dollars

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 16, 2013