Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted, this thread is far too big to search through, however it is nothing without...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtILxBszyf8

(a licky boom boom down)

http://youtu.be/7oAlLvQIKYE

I'm partial to this one myself. I think it came out in 2000 though. You know more and more I'm convinced that Canada is part of some kind of musical terrorism program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only part of John Dies at the End I enjoyed was the presence of Snow.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only part of John Dies at the End I enjoyed was the presence of Snow.

Huh?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1783732/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

I didn't notice him in the show, and he's not listed on the IMDB. What part is he in, cause I can't believe I missed seeing that!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just found this:

SHOCKEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!! YOOOOOUUUU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEEEEE!!!!!!! I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRTH!!!!!!!

I think this must have been one of my favourite cartoons when I was younger.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Metal Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember this Lego Technic line called "Slizers" (or, in America, "Throwbots")? They were kind of like a precursor to the more popular and longer-lasting Bionicle sets, except they had these disc-launcher arms attachments. I thought they were great.

I actually remember those! I had maybe two of them at most and had fun with them.

After that they released the Robo Riders, which was the same basic idea, only instead of robots that threw discs, the discs became special motorcycle wheels, and you would build robot motorcycle dudes themed after the elements.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kilazar posted:

Huh?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1783732/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

I didn't notice him in the show, and he's not listed on the IMDB. What part is he in, cause I can't believe I missed seeing that!

The book has a really good throw away reference to the song which was one of the only pop culture references in it that didn't make me roll my eyes. I haven't seen the movie.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The book has a really good throw away reference to the song which was one of the only pop culture references in it that didn't make me roll my eyes. I haven't seen the movie.

drat, that would have improved the movie. Oh well.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Apologies if this has already been posted, this thread is far too big to search through, however it is nothing without...

(a licky boom boom down)

Thanks for reminding me of the parody song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icb_tRTnA4g

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Man, I didn't even click that link and now I've got that song stuck in my head. gently caress you guys.

Content: To this day, I will still get early-90's Disney Channel Music Break songs stuck in my head. Especially this one.

It's probably been posted already, but Mother Goose Rock-n-Rhyme is woth repeating, if only for it's ridiculous cameos.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Radio Help posted:

Man, I didn't even click that link and now I've got that song stuck in my head. gently caress you guys.

Content: To this day, I will still get early-90's Disney Channel Music Break songs stuck in my head. Especially this one.

It's probably been posted already, but Mother Goose Rock-n-Rhyme is woth repeating, if only for it's ridiculous cameos.

To that end I miss late 80s early 90s Nick bumpers which you would never see now a days.

to that end, does anyone have the old Looney Tunes outro to Nick at Nite where all the Looney Tunes characters were going to sleep?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Sega Genesis gets poo poo on a lot these days, but I preferred it back in the day, as did a lot of people. I've been playing both SNES and Genesis games on Everdrive flash carts lately, and I have to say, as someone who is not big on JRPGs but loves platformers and arcade games, I still like the Genesis better after all this time. Everything is less colorful, but I dunno, it just seems a lot faster. Games that were ported to both systems seem to have better graphics on SNES, but they seem to have a lot less slowdown on Genesis. Maybe it's just me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously because of the blast processing! :hurr:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Light Gun Man posted:

Obviously because of the blast processing! :hurr:

You're right, sort of. The SNES outclassed the Genesis in almost every spec except raw processing power. They decided to advertise the hell out of this one advantage and called it "blast processing" so that this one very technical thing could be what Sega does that Nintendon't.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

(a licky boom boom down)
Oh god, this song came on the radio in cooking class and while my teacher got excited and asked everyone when it was released, it drove me insane for the rest of the day. There was another maddeningly catchy song I heard in school and I still can't recall where I've heard it before. I can't remember if it came out in 2000 or before that, but I think All Around The World belongs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EDVGfazEA
(la la la la la)

Salt N Pepa was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q96-e042bk

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

cobalt impurity posted:

You're right, sort of. The SNES outclassed the Genesis in almost every spec except raw processing power. They decided to advertise the hell out of this one advantage and called it "blast processing" so that this one very technical thing could be what Sega does that Nintendon't.

Just to be clear though, we are legit talking a processor that was twice as fast as the Super Nintendo's. It's not an insignificant thing. You can really see the difference in a lot of arcade ports. There's a handy guide here: http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/content/sega-genesis-vs-super-nintendo

Now THIS conversation takes me back.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I had a Genesis, my auntie had a Snes. I loved the Genesis and was a huge Sonic nut but it was a treat to go to my aunties and play Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, etc.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

One of the memories that inexplicably sticks out in my mind is the commercial where Sega is making fun of the Gameboy because it has no colour, and the guy is trying to make it look entertaining by pretending the Gameboy can dance.

I don't know why, but it seemed so arrogant that that commercial completely turned me off of Sega products and I never did get a Game Gear, even though it was obvious that the colour screen on it was superior to the Gameboy. And then "Game Boy Color" ended up being kind of lame :/

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
The Genesis was the superior system. I say this only because I owned one and couldn't afford both an SNES and a genesis as a kid. I never felt like I was missing anything only having the Sega though. It kicked a ton of rear end.

The game gear however was a chunk of poo poo. The color screen was nice and the games weren't bad but that thing massacred batteries. That was a big deal when alkaline batteries were so expensive and NiCad rechargeables were both expensive and lovely.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The game gear however was a chunk of poo poo. The color screen was nice and the games weren't bad but that thing massacred batteries. That was a big deal when alkaline batteries were so expensive and NiCad rechargeables were both expensive and lovely.

At my school the two or three kids with Game Gears used them plugged in pretty much exclusively.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dissss posted:

At my school the two or three kids with Game Gears used them plugged in pretty much exclusively.

One kid at school had an Atari Lynx and he could only play during the 2-5 minutes after recess when we'd be waiting for the teacher since we had to go outside during recess and there were no outlets in the yard. That and its sheer size made it look about as portable as a Kaypro.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Yeah, I had a Game Gear. It was pretty useless with batteries, Sega Master System R-type with the cartridge converter was worth it though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of useless with batteries, how about the Nomad?

A portable Genesis, released in 1995 and discontinued the following year due to lovely sales. The main problem with the Nomad is, of course, that it eats batteries like a big battery-eating thing and would go through six AA batteries in an hour or two. It also freezes your game if you bump it while playing, making it even less portable.

With all that said, though, the Nomad is loving awesome and probably my favorite video game thing that I own. :krad:

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Any Midwestern US Goons remember going to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis or COSI in Toledo, OH? My brother and I were home schooled till I was in 1st grade and we would go on trips there all the time. I remember the Children's Museum having a section were you could excavate a dinosaur skeleton. I wonder if those places are still running?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Speaking of useless with batteries, how about the Nomad?

A portable Genesis, released in 1995 and discontinued the following year due to lovely sales. The main problem with the Nomad is, of course, that it eats batteries like a big battery-eating thing and would go through six AA batteries in an hour or two. It also freezes your game if you bump it while playing, making it even less portable.

With all that said, though, the Nomad is loving awesome and probably my favorite video game thing that I own. :krad:

I wanted a nomad so bad when they came out. My parents were less than willing to drop $250 (canadian) bucks on something I basically already had. I can see their point.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Over the last few years it seems Sega and even Capcom have been pretty permissive with licensing out some of their older Genesis era stuff from the 90s into new systems and handhelds.

There's a thing simply called "The Ultimate Portable Game Player" on Amazon for like $50 and at Sam's Club for like $40 that looks like a pretty good modern take on the Nomad. About 80 games on it, probably about 30-40 or so being Genesis games, I think.

Pretty much looks like it's almost worth it considering it's got a couple of Street Fighter games on it and it looks like it claims it also includes Mega Man: The Wily Wars, which was never released as a cart for the Genny in the US and was only available in the states as part of the short-lived Sega Channel downloadable service in the 90s.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jul 16, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
All those At Games systems are pieces of poo poo, don't buy them. It's an emulator, the sound is totally off and some of the games suffer really bad slowdown. If you really want to play all the old genesis stuff and can swing the cost, pick up one of these bad boys: http://shop.retrogate.com/Mega-EverDrive-MEGA-ED.htm or http://shop.retrogate.com/Everdrive-MD-EDMD.htm and an actual Sega Genesis. It's pretty sweet and works on the Nomad if you can manage to find one.

Zack_Gochuck has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Jul 16, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's a thing simply called "The Ultimate Portable Game Player" on Amazon for like $50 and at Sam's Club for like $40 that looks like a pretty good modern take on the Nomad. About 80 games on it, probably about 30-40 or so being Genesis games, I think.

Amazon.com Product Description posted:

MEGA MAN BONUS GAMES: • Cross the road • Jack's Pea • Jewel Magic • Curling 2010 • Fish Story • Mahjong • Warehouse Keeper • Chess • Memory • Snake • Air Hockey • Spider • Naval Power • Mr. Balls • Cannon • Fight or Lose • Bottle Taps Race • Bomber • Checker • Hexagonos • Reaction Match • Whack-A-Wolf • Mirror Mirror • Memory Match • Tresure Hunt • Fire Fly Glow • Panic Lift • Black Sheep • Space Hunter • Flash Memory • Table Magic • Color Puzzle • Brain Switch • Mega Brain Switch • Bulls and Cows • Logic Dial • Match Eleven • Formula Challenge • Sudoku Quiz • Dominant Color

Those sound delightfully crappy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I wanted a nomad so bad when they came out. My parents were less than willing to drop $250 (canadian) bucks on something I basically already had. I can see their point.

$250 Canadian? In 1995? Wasn't that only, like...$10 American back then? :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

All those At Games systems are pieces of poo poo, don't buy them..
Word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Ey5zKKldY

I have this one, although it's called the Blaze Mega Drive here in Europe. (It's also not portable like those other ones, but it's mostly got the same guts so whatever) I bought it in 2008 or 2009 thinking it would be a decent starter system for someone like myself who had never owned a Mega Drive or any other Sega system (this was obviously before I went completely insane really started collecting retro stuff, nowadays I have a whole bunch of Sega consoles), but it was such a pile of poo poo that I ended up just buying a used model 2 Mega Drive on Amazon like a week later.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

It started in late 99 so it still counts.

I know this is a few pages ago, but I used to watch that all the time as a kid.

That is, until I saw the episode where a guy broke his ankle so badly on the spinning wheel/pyramid of death thing that his foot was pointing behind him. Ugggh. Whenever I think of the show now, all I can think bout is that poor dudes ankle and how they showed it afterwards from every angle.

Does anyone else remember that?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bale. posted:

That is, until I saw the episode where a guy broke his ankle so badly on the spinning wheel/pyramid of death thing that his foot was pointing behind him. Ugggh. Whenever I think of the show now, all I can think bout is that poor dudes ankle and how they showed it afterwards from every angle.

Does anyone else remember that?

In the early 00s, there was a show called "Slam Ball" on Spike/TNN where something similar happened. I think the only footage that exists is on Youtube shot from a phone or camcorder of the screen and it's pretty horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWye6Ut8rY0 may be a bit graphic

I can't even watch it past the initial shot of the guy's foot.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Tagra posted:

One of the memories that inexplicably sticks out in my mind is the commercial where Sega is making fun of the Gameboy because it has no colour, and the guy is trying to make it look entertaining by pretending the Gameboy can dance.

I don't know why, but it seemed so arrogant that that commercial completely turned me off of Sega products and I never did get a Game Gear, even though it was obvious that the colour screen on it was superior to the Gameboy. And then "Game Boy Color" ended up being kind of lame :/

Yeah. Going "Only idiots have Game Boys!" When almost all of their potential customers had Game Boys did them no favors.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This is the one that always stands out in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieXjddmpUY

John Liver
May 4, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the early 00s, there was a show called "Slam Ball" on Spike/TNN where something similar happened. I think the only footage that exists is on Youtube shot from a phone or camcorder of the screen and it's pretty horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWye6Ut8rY0 may be a bit graphic

I can't even watch it past the initial shot of the guy's foot.

I distinctly remember seeing that when it aired on TV - I was only a kid, but I knew putting that on air was a bad move. I just thought to myself, "Welp, now this show's getting canceled for sure."

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

My children somehow destroyed mine. And by "somehow" I mean that they were fighting over it and IF I CAN'T PLAY IT RIGHT NOW NOBODY CAN. It was a sad, sad, angry day. Let's hope the N64 lasts longer in their not-so-gentle hands. At least they can both play that at the same time?

(Don't worry. I kept my gold pre-order Ocarina of Time cart safely hidden away. That, at least, will survive.)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

John Liver posted:

I distinctly remember seeing that when it aired on TV - I was only a kid, but I knew putting that on air was a bad move. I just thought to myself, "Welp, now this show's getting canceled for sure."

Yeah, I remember watching it on TV, too and it burned its way into my mind forever. I'm shocked they even acknowledged the accident as much as they did. But I'm sure if I were a slamball player, from that point forward, I was never, EVER, getting near trampoline, again. In fact, you know what, I'll stay on the bench, coach...

I don't even know why the heck I was even watching Slamball in the first place to have even seen it. Maybe it was just something that came on the air right after or before one of the channel's airings of Star Trek: TNG.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I haven't been in the thread for awhile so I may have missed it, but this is one of the most incredible 90's things I have ever seen. Someone shared a video of every single grunt from over 200 episodes of home improvement (15 mins straight). It is beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.

Jokers Gamble posted:

Any Midwestern US Goons remember going to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis or COSI in Toledo, OH? My brother and I were home schooled till I was in 1st grade and we would go on trips there all the time. I remember the Children's Museum having a section were you could excavate a dinosaur skeleton. I wonder if those places are still running?

Yep! The Indianapolis Children's Museum is still up and running, though I'm not sure if they have the dinosaur excavation anymore. My friend takes her kid there every couple of months. :)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dis posted:

My children somehow destroyed mine. And by "somehow" I mean that they were fighting over it and IF I CAN'T PLAY IT RIGHT NOW NOBODY CAN. It was a sad, sad, angry day. Let's hope the N64 lasts longer in their not-so-gentle hands. At least they can both play that at the same time?
They could have played the Nomad at the same time too. :smith: You can hook it up to a TV with a regular Genesis model 2 video cable and plug in a second controller to use it as the least practical Genesis in the world.

Well, there's another good reason for me to never have kids: they'll break your Sega Nomad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

You just made me suddenly remember that TNN was A Thing all at once :psyduck:

• Locked thread