Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I finished my Cryx test 'jack. Before sitting down to paint I spent an unfortunate amount of time debating how exactly I wanted to shade the armor plates.

The concept of the base is to give the suggestion that the Slayer is emerging from the ocean at night. Actual night is of course darker, but hopefully this is a good compromise between reality and visual appeal. To give the impression that everything was in shadow I basecoated and highlighted first then washed the entire base with a mixture of Trollblood Base, Coal Black, and Armor Wash to darken and tie all the colors together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

SRM posted:

It took a solid week of painting, but I finished my Techno-Plague Marines! I really hope you guys like caution stripes, because there's a lot of caution stripes.

These look awesome. Would you mind listing which paints you used? I'm about to paint a bunch of minis and am looking to do a similar industrial armour look but have no idea how to start as it's been decades since I last painted any minis.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Khadhul posted:

What are the robot-looking things on the second shelf from the bottom? They look pretty cool.

Kind of look like Space Crusade dreads.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Khadhul posted:

What are the robot-looking things on the second shelf from the bottom? They look pretty cool.

Fix posted:

Maybe Dust or AT-43 stuff?

Dust Tactics/Warfare (I love Warfare) Thoes are the Germans, havent moved my infantry over yet, the lowest shelf, left side is Allies, and right is the SSU (Russian+China) Still in the process of unboxing them.

Edit, some better shots.

One day I will have them all painted! :ohdear:

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 16, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LumberingTroll posted:

Dust Tactics/Warfare (I love Warfare) Thoes are the Germans, havent moved my infantry over yet, the lowest shelf, left side is Allies, and right is the SSU (Russian+China) Still in the process of unboxing them.

Edit, some better shots.

One day I will have them all painted! :ohdear:

Ah goons; helping me feel normal about my stupid hobby because "At least I don't have as much stuff as that guy" (While secretly coveting his piles of plastic).

edit: and his work shop, and games table, and painting area, and...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Ah goons; helping me feel normal about my stupid hobby because "At least I don't have as much stuff as that guy"

Hey Im good at that!

I have an amazingly understanding wife, who doesn't complain about my hobbies at all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Those look ace. I spent today trying to paint hazard stripes and got super frustrated again. I don't know how you other iron warrior players do it. I really dig all the conversions.
It's not too hard! With a little touching up and some carefully applied highlight lines, they look a lot straighter than they actually are.

cyberia posted:

These look awesome. Would you mind listing which paints you used? I'm about to paint a bunch of minis and am looking to do a similar industrial armour look but have no idea how to start as it's been decades since I last painted any minis.
Gladly! This is all over a black basecoat:

Armor/gun parts:
- Leadbelcher
- Nuln Oil wash
- Leadbelcher drybrush
- Runefang Steel highlights/drybrush as you feel necessary

Bionics:
- Leadbelcher
- Nuln Oil wash
- Leadbelcher drybrush
- Runefang Steel drybrush
- Leviathan Purple wash

Trim:
- Balthasar Gold
- Gehenna's Gold, leaving some Balthasar in the recesses
- Agrax Earthshade in the recesses
- Auric Armor Gold highlights

Black:
- Abaddon Black
- Eshin Grey highlights
- Dawnstone extreme edge highlights

Caution stripes:
- Averland Sunset
- Flash Gitz Yellow highlights

Green lenses:
- Caliban green
- Warboss Green, leaving it darkest at the outside of the eyes
- Skarsnik Green at the very innermost corner
- Skull White dot at the very outermost corner

Red lenses:
- Khorne Red
- Mephiston Red, leaving it darkest at the outside of the eyes
- Squig Orange at the very innermost corner
- Skull White dot at the very outermost corner

Basing:
- Rhinox Hide
- Steel Legion Drab drybrush
- Kommando Khaki drybrush
- Gale Force Nine dead grass

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LumberingTroll posted:

Hey Im good at that!

I have an amazingly understanding wife, who doesn't complain about my hobbies at all.

Me too, but I still have some small amount of self-hating nerd guilt over it all. But I help assuage my guilt by trying to make the hobby pay for itself, not at the scale you do, but I try.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Red Shoe posted:

I finished my Cryx test 'jack. Before sitting down to paint I spent an unfortunate amount of time debating how exactly I wanted to shade the armor plates.

The concept of the base is to give the suggestion that the Slayer is emerging from the ocean at night. Actual night is of course darker, but hopefully this is a good compromise between reality and visual appeal. To give the impression that everything was in shadow I basecoated and highlighted first then washed the entire base with a mixture of Trollblood Base, Coal Black, and Armor Wash to darken and tie all the colors together.

Goddamn, that looks great. Love the shading of the armor and the bright, but not overdone yellow.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Red Shoe posted:

This is loving awesome.

But stop painting the same armies I am, jerk.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Luebbi posted:

Goddamn, that looks great. Love the shading of the armor and the bright, but not overdone yellow.

Thanks! This was one of those models that seems terrible until finished. The glow does a lot to complete the look.

Fyrbrand posted:

This is loving awesome.

But stop painting the same armies I am, jerk.

The only factions I am really equipped to play are Talion and Blindwater. I just do bits and pieces across the spectrum for the Iron Kingdoms game I am running. This leads to a lot of internal debate about paint schemes so that I have a good foundation for if/when I properly pick up an army.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Whoa, that's very impressive, Red Shoe! :stare: Dat base!

Enhanced the knees. Added some mass to thorax.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Has anybody tried painting minis with liquid leaf? I'm working on schemes for Cyriss, and it looks like a great colour/texture for highlighting areas.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the 40k thread.

I have finally finished my repaint of my Chimedon into the colors of the 113th Vali mechanized. I tried out the salt technique for the first time and I have to admit, I am quite satisfied with the results.

As always, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Crossposting from the Oath thread:

Hexeris:

Raider:

I reposed the raider to actually be aiming at his target instead of firing from the hip, and I like the final result. Probably more work than it's worth, but oh well.

Also I'm still playing around with how to take really sharp photos. I tried putting a light from the direct front, and that's improved things a bit. I still feel like some things are out of focus or not lit just right. Or maybe I'm not getting the levels right in photoshop. I'll keep playing around, and any tips are always helpful.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

SRM posted:

Gladly! This is all over a black basecoat:

Awesome! Thank you very much.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finally had the time to sit down and finish a crisis suit. Here it is, standing next to a Fire Warrior for comparison.

The roughness of the paint is from my primer skunking from this humidity. I'm hoping a matte varnish will help fix things.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Dirty Job posted:

Finally had the time to sit down and finish a crisis suit. Here it is, standing next to a Fire Warrior for comparison.

The roughness of the paint is from my primer skunking from this humidity. I'm hoping a matte varnish will help fix things.

I like the paintjob, shame about the primer, but it isn't that bad. The pose however might be the most static I've ever seen and the boxiness of the Tau design ain't helping. Try making a more dynamic pose for any future suits.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Looks like the pilot is letting off a truly massive fart - lifting his suit into the air. New Tau theme discovered.

My eternal saga painting camo orks continues - the Apoc books has inspired me to do Snikrot's Red Kommandos. Anyone have some tips for putting down camo with an airbrush on infantry? I'd like to knock that out first and do the skin and metallics by hand. I'm thinking maybe poster putty or silly putty.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I like the paintjob, shame about the primer, but it isn't that bad. The pose however might be the most static I've ever seen and the boxiness of the Tau design ain't helping. Try making a more dynamic pose for any future suits.

I have him built to stand on a base, but then I figured I kind of like them floating around. I have another set of three to build, so I'll be sure to make them a bit more interesting!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Mt. ORourke posted:

Crossposting from the Oath thread:

Hexeris:

Raider:

I reposed the raider to actually be aiming at his target instead of firing from the hip, and I like the final result. Probably more work than it's worth, but oh well.

Also I'm still playing around with how to take really sharp photos. I tried putting a light from the direct front, and that's improved things a bit. I still feel like some things are out of focus or not lit just right. Or maybe I'm not getting the levels right in photoshop. I'll keep playing around, and any tips are always helpful.

I like them! I especially like the base texture and painting. Do you have a tutorial handy?

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

Luebbi posted:

I like them! I especially like the base texture and painting. Do you have a tutorial handy?

Thanks!
The bases are super easy, mainly because I didn't make them :D The one on Hexeris is from Dragonforge, and the other one is from Forgecraft I think. I just paint it Talarn Flesh, wash Earthshade (brown), then drybrush Flesh again. I think I may have done some bone color very lightly on top of that, but it's to taste.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Speaking of bases, would any of these "learning tiles" be good as bulk bases? Should I be worried about the type of plastic used?

400 1" square plastic at about 5 cents each
200 1" round plastic at about 5 cents each
250 0.75" round plastic at about 2.5 cents each

e: on second thought, it looks like those square tiles are a bit on the thick side, but these are 1" squares and 2mm thick.

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 17, 2013

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Does no one use laser cut mdf for their bases? Try work out very cheap, usually around 15 25mm bases for at most a couple of quid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Umm, thanks for posting that. I just ordered a set for my daughter. That was not something I expected to get from this thread today. :v:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Serotonin posted:

Does no one use laser cut mdf for their bases? Try work out very cheap, usually around 15 25mm bases for at most a couple of quid.

This is what I am doing to put bases on my Reaper Bones figures, but I also have a laser cutter.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

How much would you charge for a grab bag of the common sizes of bases both Square and round Lumbering Troll?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
This is where I get mine: http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/mdf-bases-16-c.asp

Super fast service and really nice product.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

TarDolphinorShark posted:

How much would you charge for a grab bag of the common sizes of bases both Square and round Lumbering Troll?

Hadn't really thought about it, but it wouldn't be a lot. Could do blanks, or it wouldn't even really be hard to add some texture to them either.

Serotonin, it looks like they charge $0.155 for a single 25mm, not bad but I get I can do a bit better.

Id say for blanks
25mm (1 inch) $0.12 each. Then + 0.05 per additional 5mm, this is a ball park I would have to work it on in a layout.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 17, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
More cross posting from the 40k thread for me.

I finally got another marine more or less finished. I still have to do a bit more on his base, mainly highlighting and cleanup. This guy is going to be one of my assault marine sergeants.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If we're talking bases, I want to plug some that I bought fairly recently:

http://www.champindustries.net/orders_b.html
They also have urban bases that are a little less exciting. Anyway, these bases are 30 cents each. I bought a bunch for Space Hulk, since I've got a 2nd ed Space Hulk set of models I'm looking to paint up someday.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

They also have urban bases that are a little less exciting. Anyway, these bases are 30 cents each. I bought a bunch for Space Hulk, since I've got a 2nd ed Space Hulk set of models I'm looking to paint up someday.

Dammit, I've been casting my own bases in almost the exact same style.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

jadebullet posted:

More cross posting from the 40k thread for me.

I finally got another marine more or less finished. I still have to do a bit more on his base, mainly highlighting and cleanup. This guy is going to be one of my assault marine sergeants.

I'm not really sure how to explain this, but unless that's the effect you're going for, the highlights are the wrong tone for that red. They look so stark and primary in comparison.

edit:

I fixed the arms on my crisis suit. I realized they weren't in all the way, and they fell right off. I changed the pose to make them a bit more dynamic, and it looks much better because of it.

I also managed to find some neodymium magnets, so for the first time I am going to magnetize my crisis suits!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

SRM posted:

I hope he puts out 40 mm ones because this is exactly what I want for my Space Sharks project. :torgue:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Cheap enough to tempt me to rebase my Necromunda minis.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Hadn't really thought about it, but it wouldn't be a lot. Could do blanks, or it wouldn't even really be hard to add some texture to them either.

Serotonin, it looks like they charge $0.155 for a single 25mm, not bad but I get I can do a bit better.

Id say for blanks
25mm (1 inch) $0.12 each. Then + 0.05 per additional 5mm, this is a ball park I would have to work it on in a layout.

Thanks, looking at some of my random minis I'd want 20mm 25mm and 40mm in squares and then 20mm and 25mm in rounds. I'm not sure of the quantities but i'll keep you in mind when I get some extra money. Any chance you will dabble in 15mm terrain?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, so tone down the highlight color brightness. I will do that. I realize now that I grabbed the wrong pot when I did my highlighting this time. That is what I get for taking a few months off painting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bavius posted:

I hope he puts out 40 mm ones because this is exactly what I want for my Space Sharks project. :torgue:
Email him about it! I'm pretty sure I first saw these a decade ago and they're apparently all he sells.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Thanks, looking at some of my random minis I'd want 20mm 25mm and 40mm in squares and then 20mm and 25mm in rounds. I'm not sure of the quantities but i'll keep you in mind when I get some extra money. Any chance you will dabble in 15mm terrain?

Yeah, Ive been thinking about 15mm and 10mm terrain.

Also I am on a roll this month!
Two figures complete.

This has to be some kind of record for me.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Dirty Job posted:

I have a question about this, I'm about to paint something and want a pitted old-metal look to it. Is there a decent coarse primer that can work on minis to create this effect (I know they have it for wood/drywall, or should I just do my priming during a thunderstorm.

• Locked thread