Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIlwH9tJCc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kaisei and Aoiyama doing very nicely this basho, kinda like how Gagamaru did last basho. Hope they don't follow the same trajectory in two months.

I hope Harumafuji is only dealing with some mental issues, as he's looked way off the past three matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

anakha posted:

I hope Harumafuji is only dealing with some mental issues, as he's looked way off the past three matches.

Just doesn't look good, how much is left in the tank? I mean there's no demotion right? You win or you call it a day?

Hakuhou, Beastlord of the Sumomen.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Hakuhou, Beastlord of the Sumomen.

So who else had Kotooshu as the closest challenger to Hakuho after 10 days?

Anyone? Bueller?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That raises an interesting question for me, one which I've never really thought about until now.

How much betting goes on with regard to sumo? Its it anywhere close to the degree that sports betting has permeated the US?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fryhtaning posted:

So who else had Kotooshu as the closest challenger to Hakuho after 10 days?

Anyone? Bueller?

I really hope he's turned a corner. He's probably just going to go back to barely dodging demotion, though. :(

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

anakha posted:

That raises an interesting question for me, one which I've never really thought about until now.

How much betting goes on with regard to sumo? Its it anywhere close to the degree that sports betting has permeated the US?

I believe betting on sports is illegal in Japan.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It's illegal to gamble but people still do it. I'm sure people bet on sumo but I'm not sure of the scope. My guess would be that few people do but the people who do do so through yakuza channels and probably bet a lot of money.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TotallyGreen posted:

I believe betting on sports is illegal in Japan.

Wait what.

Keirin exists entirely FOR gambling. Or is it not a "sport"?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gibbo posted:

Wait what.

Keirin exists entirely FOR gambling. Or is it not a "sport"?

Legal sports gambling is limited to keirin, horse racing (keiba), boat racing (kyotei), and motorcycle racing (autorace). Everything else you need a tattooed bookie for.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

Legal sports gambling is limited to keirin, horse racing (keiba), boat racing (kyotei), and motorcycle racing (autorace). Everything else you need a tattooed bookie for.

Sumo has Fantasy Sports written all over it, although that'd be tough to do because you'd have to make your predictions on a daily basis.

And speaking of, I saw that there is a fantasy league at Sumotalk.com. Has anyone done it before?

Also: That was complete bullshit, Harumafauji.

vvvv Poor Kotoshogiku's wife. She probably can't walk for days afterwards.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 17, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRyRbTAw7Hs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:lol: at the gyoji in the Kitataiki match going "start this loving thing already!"

Poor Daido.

Kotoshogiku looks hilarious when he grabs ahold of someone and tries to belly-gently caress them out of the dohyo.

Less than dominant performances today from both yokozuna.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
For the first time in years Kotooshu has an outside shot at an yusho and he ruins it with a performance like this :(

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

For the first time in years Kotooshu has an outside shot at an yusho and he ruins it with a performance like this :(

He got half-henka'd by a Yokozuna, so there isn't much he could have done.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Just Winging It posted:

More like he got Harumafuji'd by a desperate yokozuna.

A guy at work told me he'd rather see a yokozuna act like that then feign an injury when they have a bad record.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreN9osy8Bc

I hope he's not terribly hurt

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreN9osy8Bc

I hope he's not terribly hurt

Kise has quietly come back to be in a good position for the jun-yusho, assuming that Kaisei continues getting beat by real competition. I'm glad the Yokozuna talk has been squelched, but he's still the best Ozeki by a mile. Let's just get that thing called a "yusho" before we begin talking about it again, yeah?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I don't know, Kise's (9-3) in a bad spot for second methinks. Pulls one of the Yokos tomorrow and the other must be waiting for him day 14/15. Meanwhile Aoiyama (10-2) gets Takayasu and Kaisei (9-3) faces Masunoyama, both tomorrow. Certainly an easier road for the lower ranked wrestlers.

Tomorrow!
Hakuho-Kotooshu
Harumafuji-Kisenosato

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what a bizarre ending in tochiouzan-goeido. i can't understand why, given their records, a match like that would be fixed, but nothing about that looked natural.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
As much as I generally hope for Hakuhou to lose (because he almost never does), ending his winning streak with an injury would be a pretty lame way to go.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Saw the Hakuhou bout and it was great; if he is injured he did not show it today. The odd thing was it felt as if Hakuhou wanted to end the bout fast. Great match to see today.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Day 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfU2YbsgjFM

The Endou match was really great, and Hakuhou didn't seem to be any worse for wear.

I've come to find I really enjoy Shouhouzan's matches. His record isn't great, but he's very fiery and seems like he's always full steam ahead. Do people actually root for sumo with bad records? If I equate it to the NFL I feel like I'm jumping on the Browns bandwagon.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8BF5b_uW4

the yusho might have already been decided, but you're going to want to watch this one.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Good day despite the inevitable outcome of the tournament.

ENDOU! This dude came out of nowhere. Definitely excited to see where he goes.

That Kise-Hakuhou match was not what I wanted to see, being a Kise-hater. On the plus side, Harumafuji showed some good sumo.

I got a sunburn while swimming in the ocean at Mito. Fucker itches like crazy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Kotooshu got jobbed a couple of times. I guess they really want Kisensato up there.

I loved Aran's henka because it made this old lady's mouth agape.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kotooshu definitely got robbed by Shouhouzan, which was disappointing considering they're probably my two favorite sumo. I'd love to see either of them go on a run.

That Hakuhou / Kisenosato match was intense. If Kisenosato wins the possibility of a Yokozuna run next basho (warranted or not) will be interesting.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Wow Day 14 ending was crazy! I respect Kisenosato for his prowess in the dohyo, but I do not want him to become Yokozuna. I agree that Shohouzan shouldn't have won today, even though he is one of my favorites, the outcome was really obvious. Poor Daidou, I wonder if he will have a 0-15..
Osunaarashi is definitely on his way to being one of my favorites.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Kotooshu got jobbed a couple of times. I guess they really want Kisensato up there.

I loved Aran's henka because it made this old lady's mouth agape.

Yeah, sometimes the crowd can be hilarious or make a match more fun. One of my favorite moments in sumo is the second before a big match where the whole place is silent and then erupts on the tachi-ai.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

THE Green Ranger posted:

I respect Kisenosato for his prowess in the dohyo, but I do not want him to become Yokozuna.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this "get enough wins in two basho and we'll make you a Yokozuna" business. That's how Harumafuji got his and he's been pretty disappointing since.
That said, if Kisenosato goes 15-0 next basho and looks like a monster I'll probably change my mind.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESn2OOkego

THE Green Ranger posted:

Poor Daidou, I wonder if he will have a 0-15..

Does anything significant happen when someone has a record this bad? Is it just loss of rank?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Harumafuji at least got 2 yusho in a row and has won 5 tournaments in his career. Kisenosato hasn't won any.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this "get enough wins in two basho and we'll make you a Yokozuna" business. That's how Harumafuji got his and he's been pretty disappointing since.

Um, what? Harumafuji won his requisite two basho and went undefeated in one.

E: Thank God the Kisenosato-for-yokozuna talk can be stopped for now.

Hakuho looked uninterested as gently caress in that match. Was he taking it easy because of the injury or because he had the basho in the bag?

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 21, 2013

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Definitely felt like he didn't care anymore. You have to remember though: sumo god or not, Hakuho did go for almost three whole tournaments without losing. It's hard to hold that second loss against him, since losing yesterday probably threw him off his game.

Also it gave Harumafuji a double-digit record which makes him look a little better. Hakuho wins the tournament, Harumafuji goes home with a win over the champion, everyone's happy, right?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Anime Reference posted:

That's how Harumafuji got his and he's been pretty disappointing since.

Not only is that wrong, but it's been pointed out several times that Harumafuji is only disappointing when compared directly to Hakuho and Asashoryu. He had a couple disappointing losses this tournament, but he's been great otherwise - definitely a cut above the Ozeki.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Well, unfortunately this tournament really turned me against Kisenosato. I feel bad because he was my favorite Ozeki, but the obvious favoritism he receives just isn't cool. I get that it's rough to have your national sport dominated by outsiders, but the current restriction on foreigners (one per stable, even if they become citizens) is bad enough, it's bullshit that Japanese wrestlers also get special treatment on top of that.

Watching Baruto destroy people next tournament from M10-14 or so should be amazing. I'd be surprised if he did much worse than 12-3.

Osunaarashi is crazy, because in addition to his obvious notoriety (Egyptian, shot up the ranks at lightning pace), he looks straight up stronger than anyone else he's wrestling against. Not even "a bit stronger", but ludicrously so. His technique is pretty bad though. Hopefully he can get his KK from the top of Juryo next tournament and we can see him in Makuuchi in November.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

TotallyGreen posted:

Well, unfortunately this tournament really turned me against Kisenosato. I feel bad because he was my favorite Ozeki, but the obvious favoritism he receives just isn't cool. I get that it's rough to have your national sport dominated by outsiders, but the current restriction on foreigners (one per stable, even if they become citizens) is bad enough, it's bullshit that Japanese wrestlers also get special treatment on top of that.

Same thing happens in Go, all the big prize money is in Japan but they don't let anyone but Japanese (very rare exceptions excluded) play for the money. For most international tournaments all the Japanese players get bounced out by the Koreans and Chinese.

In one vein its surprising that this sort of representation by foreigners is allowed at all. Hopefully foreigners will become more tolerated as time goes on, similar to baseball and basketball in the 60s-70s here.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
such a disappointing end to chiyotairyu's basho :/

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Eh, as awesome as he was to watch at the beginning, he really didn't have any juice left by the end. Takayasu was a lot like that in the past, where he'd do ok in his first week, maybe beat a couple ozeki, but then end up with a losing record because he wasn't into it anymore at the end.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No Endo talk? I'm surprised. The dude destroyed Juryo this basho. I'd like to see how he does in Makuuchi. I think he'll probably be like Chiyotairyu. Really talented but ultimately needs more experience to become great.

Re: Baruto, I read someplace that he's going down to Juryo..........

Edit: And I think y'all need to be more patient with Chiyotairyu. He's only been in Makuuchi for 8 tournaments and has gotten up to M2. As you know, most rikishi hit a wall when they get up into the high M's. I think Chiyotairyu only missing his KK at M3 by 1 win is pretty encouraging.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 22, 2013

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Yeah Radical, for sure. Let him build up his endurance, work on his legs and follow-through, and he just might have enough game to win a championship clean!

You know, when Hakuho retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Dr.Radical posted:

No Endo talk? I'm surprised. The dude destroyed Juryo this basho. I'd like to see how he does in Makuuchi. I think he'll probably be like Chiyotairyu. Really talented but ultimately needs more experience to become great.

Re: Baruto, I read someplace that he's going down to Juryo..........

Edit: And I think y'all need to be more patient with Chiyotairyu. He's only been in Makuuchi for 8 tournaments and has gotten up to M2. As you know, most rikishi hit a wall when they get up into the high M's. I think Chiyotairyu only missing his KK at M3 by 1 win is pretty encouraging.

Endo's cool, but Osunaarashi overshadowed him for me (even though he beat him), just because of the storyline. Looking forwards to seeing Endo in Makuuchi though.

There's no way that Baruto goes to Juryo from M6. Worst thing they'd do is stick him at M16 or something. That said, I really want to see the 15-0 destruction that would come from Baruto in Juryo.