Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ravenicus posted:

It was a very strange rpg I saw videos on youtube of, I think it was an independent JRPG type game? Looked like it was in a dream but with creepy text and there would be this white face that would show up at different parts. I can't even remember if it was an RPG or not, I remember there was a lot of speculation about it though.
Probably Yume Nikki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kilazar posted:

I have very little to go on for the game that has been bugging me forever.

It was available in the arcade around 86-88 and I used to play it at the youth center in Andersen Airforce base (Guam).

What little I can remember is the main character had techno'ish armor and could lose the armor. And the game moved left to right, but when you got to the boss the character came in on the right and the boss was on the left.

Now the details I can actually remember are mostly of the boss, it was a weird manticore type (statue maybe) thing with multiple heads. If I could just see a screen shot or video of the game I'd recognize it pretty fast. But I don't think I ever actually knew the name.

I have very little hope that someone remembers this, but it's worth a shot.

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but maybe E-Swat ? Not sure because you don't get the armor until a few levels in, and I am not sure about the boss you described.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trying to remember the name of some odd, humorous...RTS I think? The idea was that you designed tanks by slapping parts on top of each other like a stack of pancakes. I think sheep were some sort of resource? It made very little sense IIRC.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

a medical mystery posted:

Trying to remember the name of some odd, humorous...RTS I think? The idea was that you designed tanks by slapping parts on top of each other like a stack of pancakes. I think sheep were some sort of resource? It made very little sense IIRC.

That's definitely Tanktics.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JordanKai posted:

That's definitely Tanktics.

That'll be it! Thanks.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but maybe E-Swat ? Not sure because you don't get the armor until a few levels in, and I am not sure about the boss you described.

Nah it wasn't e-swat, it was kind of a hybrid fantasy future setting. I think the player character had a laser gun but I am not 100% certain.

I was all of 7 or 8 when I played the game. I wish I could go into more detail, but it's all fuzzy in my head. The main thing I remember is it had the best graphics I had seen up to that point. And I used to spend hours just watching people play it when I didn't have quarters of my own.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 16, 2013

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Kilazar posted:

I have very little to go on for the game that has been bugging me forever.

It was available in the arcade around 86-88 and I used to play it at the youth center in Andersen Airforce base (Guam).

What little I can remember is the main character had techno'ish armor and could lose the armor. And the game moved left to right, but when you got to the boss the character came in on the right and the boss was on the left.

Now the details I can actually remember are mostly of the boss, it was a weird manticore type (statue maybe) thing with multiple heads. If I could just see a screen shot or video of the game I'd recognize it pretty fast. But I don't think I ever actually knew the name.

I have very little hope that someone remembers this, but it's worth a shot.

This is a long shot, but maybe Galivan?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilazar posted:

Nah it wasn't e-swat, it was kind of a hybrid fantasy future setting. I think the player character had a laser gun but I am not 100% certain.

I was all of 7 or 8 when I played the game. I wish I could go into more detail, but it's all fuzzy in my head. The main thing I remember is it had the best graphics I had seen up to that point. And I used to spend hours just watching people play it when I didn't have quarters of my own.
Maybe Forgotten Worlds?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pinacotheca posted:

This is a long shot, but maybe Galivan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJzI-oBOrM

I think this is it, though I remember it being way darker and less "jumpy". What triggers the familiarity the most is when he gets the sword that does the "wave" shot, and then the tripple gem at the boss room that randomly drops a power up.

Thanks!

ruden
Dec 2, 2006
I'm looking for a SA thread about a game, actually. It was some multiplayer space-sim sort of game, that basically devolved into who could ruin the game the fastest. The thread described a few plays of the game, and included some stories of a player creating horrible monstrosities out of the other players as a doctor character.

This is pretty vague I realize, but the thread was good for a few laughs and I wanted to re-read some of the stories.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ruden posted:

I'm looking for a SA thread about a game, actually. It was some multiplayer space-sim sort of game, that basically devolved into who could ruin the game the fastest. The thread described a few plays of the game, and included some stories of a player creating horrible monstrosities out of the other players as a doctor character.

This is pretty vague I realize, but the thread was good for a few laughs and I wanted to re-read some of the stories.

Space Station 13

ruden
Dec 2, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Space Station 13

That'd be it! Thanks!

Here's the link for those curious:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485140

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ruden posted:

That'd be it! Thanks!

Here's the link for those curious:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485140

That's the old thread. This is the current one (and a lot of the good stories have been quoted in the first few pages for posterity) -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551842

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Trying to remember an old adventure game I think I found on the underdogs few years ago, but cannot find it. It was mostly text based, but with a proper windows interface. I think the cases were randomly generated and your detective had a few stats you could put points into (like picking locks). The setting was something oldschool, Sherlock Holmesey or similar.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This is a long shot, but my Google skills are failing me.

I'm looking for a really old, simple text-based game I played on the Apple II as a kid in the 1980s. You were an explorer on Mars or something and trying to find treasure, with aliens of various levels of hostility running around. One of them who was the least hostile would say "Gibble!" when it met you and "Gib-bleck" when you killed it.

I'm almost sure this wasn't a commercially-produced game, but one of those games that had its program listed in BASIC in a book and you were supposed to type it in and play it. In fact it might have been in a book on how to program aimed at kids. But I'm not turning up anything about the book or the game, anywhere. I'm pretty sure the book would have been published before 1987-1988ish though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

This is a long shot, but my Google skills are failing me.

I'm looking for a really old, simple text-based game I played on the Apple II as a kid in the 1980s. You were an explorer on Mars or something and trying to find treasure, with aliens of various levels of hostility running around. One of them who was the least hostile would say "Gibble!" when it met you and "Gib-bleck" when you killed it.

I'm almost sure this wasn't a commercially-produced game, but one of those games that had its program listed in BASIC in a book and you were supposed to type it in and play it. In fact it might have been in a book on how to program aimed at kids. But I'm not turning up anything about the book or the game, anywhere. I'm pretty sure the book would have been published before 1987-1988ish though.

Sounds like an Aardvark game, either Derelict (on a spaceship collecting 10 treasures) or Mars/Graphic Mars.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

PC game, maybe 4 years old? Soviet themed with an alternate timeline gimmick and time jumping and element k? powering your ability to change chunks of the map between realities?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pound_Coin posted:

PC game, maybe 4 years old? Soviet themed with an alternate timeline gimmick and time jumping and element k? powering your ability to change chunks of the map between realities?

Singularity?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

Singularity?

e: Ninjas are staking me out.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Thanks guys.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

Sounds like an Aardvark game, either Derelict (on a spaceship collecting 10 treasures) or Mars/Graphic Mars.

I looked those up and it's definitely not any of them, unfortunately. The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure it wasn't a game published by a company but just something you had to type in by hand.

Also the game had a really crude overhead map in the vein of the old Star Trek mainframe game.

Wilson
Jun 3, 2007

WIIILLLSSSOOONNN
Ok so I'm trying to figure out the name of a military game I played on the Sega Genesis (I'm pretty sure it was Sega). The only thing I remember is the vehicle selection screen that I drew out from memory. The types of vehicles you can select were like HMMWVs, APCs, tanks, and helicopters.

So what's going on in the picture, you're at your base and you can select which vehicle you want from an underground warehouse. Once you made your selection it'll pull the vehicle out and lift it to the surface, then you take control and continue the mission.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Return Fire.

The most asked game, people. You even remembered the four vehicles. The flag-robbing jeep, the MLRS launcher, the tank and the chopper.

Wilson
Jun 3, 2007

WIIILLLSSSOOONNN

scamtank posted:

Return Fire.

The most asked game, people. You even remembered the four vehicles. The flag-robbing jeep, the MLRS launcher, the tank and the chopper.

Yup that's the one! I never would have guessed that name, doesn't ring any bells. Thank you so much, it was bugging the hell outta me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
There should be something in the OP along the lines of "The game you are thinking of is probably Return Fire." That should be the very first sentence.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

JPrime posted:

I think I asked this in this thread or a similar one, but here goes.

Somewhere between 1986-1989 I played a game on a computer at the library. I think it was an Apple or C64 style, but I could be wrong. It was tied into/manufactured by an encyclopedia manufacturer, the game would ask you questions that required a specific volume of the encyclopedia (I think the 'M' volume), and it had to be that specific manufacturer, ie, it couldn't be a World Book encyclopedia. You answered questions to get stones or something to build a hut to protect you from a storm that was coming...maybe you were shipwrecked on an island? Any mid 30s goons have any similar memories?

Quoting myself for the 1 or 2 other people in this thread that also remembered this game....I *think* I've found the associated encyclopedia, "The New Book of Knowledge". My google skills have not found me any associated game though. Here's a picture:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
A few years back I watched a Let's Play of a 2D, top down game on the PC (I think). The story was that you were chosen by some kind of energy beings to kill men who has gotten evil alien type guys inside them. I remember that you had to sneak into a TV studio to kill a person by dropping a spotlight on them from the rafters, and the last boss was killed by luring him onto the path of a train.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Gann Jerrod posted:

A few years back I watched a Let's Play of a 2D, top down game on the PC (I think). The story was that you were chosen by some kind of energy beings to kill men who has gotten evil alien type guys inside them. I remember that you had to sneak into a TV studio to kill a person by dropping a spotlight on them from the rafters, and the last boss was killed by luring him onto the path of a train.

Dreamweb.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
That's the one, thanks.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Perspective was sideways, but it was tile-based, movement was confined to said tiles. Not really a platformer, more like a puzzle game, but there were enemies too. You were... Something, and tried to reach the exit. There were some tiles which were blue and you could eat them, but if you ate one directly below something explosive, the explosive crashed on to you and well exploded. You could also form stairs with the blue ones and roll explosives to destinations. On the PC.

I really can't describe it any better. I'll try to paint a picture if possible.

Also, this one is probably easier: XBox (original) game, kart racer, you had the usual weapons, as well as a baseball bat you could use at any time. Also taunts and stunts IIRC.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Perspective was sideways, but it was tile-based, movement was confined to said tiles. Not really a platformer, more like a puzzle game, but there were enemies too. You were... Something, and tried to reach the exit. There were some tiles which were blue and you could eat them, but if you ate one directly below something explosive, the explosive crashed on to you and well exploded. You could also form stairs with the blue ones and roll explosives to destinations. On the PC.

This could be any number of Boulderdash clones.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

I really can't describe it any better. I'll try to paint a picture if possible.

Also, this one is probably easier: XBox (original) game, kart racer, you had the usual weapons, as well as a baseball bat you could use at any time. Also taunts and stunts IIRC.

Cel Damage?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Serperoth posted:

Cel Damage?

e:f;b.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

This could be any number of Boulderdash clones.

I know, that's what makes it hard to find. The aesthetic was futuristic-ish, with blue red and green stuff on black backgrounds.

And the kart game isn't Cel Damage. A quick google pins it as Furious Karting, and it's as good as I remembered it (pretty mediocre), according to the review I hit.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I know, that's what makes it hard to find. The aesthetic was futuristic-ish, with blue red and green stuff on black backgrounds.

And the kart game isn't Cel Damage. A quick google pins it as Furious Karting, and it's as good as I remembered it (pretty mediocre), according to the review I hit.

It was probably RoX from Sarosoft then.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It was probably RoX from Sarosoft then.

:aaaaa: That's exactly what it was. Thank you so much, I'd been trying to find what it is for ages.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
OK. someone e-mailed me about a game in which you're the captain of an interstellar colony ship travelling at sublight speeds and your job is to manage it. Problem is I literally get 1000 e-mails a day and can't find the message, google hasn't helped me either. So does anyone have any ideas?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Serperoth posted:

How about Supaplex then?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Trying to remember an old RPG. It was early Final Fantasy era, most likely.

What I can remember is that you picked a starting character from a selection of eight, and whoever you didn't pick became NPCs in the game. The quest involved collecting seven (?) artifacts or stones or something. I think you could recruit them to your party too, but not 100% sure on that. The twist was they were also trying to collect the artifacts, and could in theory get them before you / become too powerful to beat if they found a stone.

I'm pretty sure the classes were standard Human, Elf, Dwarf etc, but also Monster and Robot? That last part might be conflated with another game though. I'm also 100% sure there's a Let's Play of it, but without knowing the name I'm pretty stumped. Thanks!

e: vvvvv the very bunny. Thanks!

dregan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The 7th Saga