Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reverend Dr posted:

So basically every Australian?

If Frankie can do it with a tram literally roaring past his house in the wilds of the Outback while fighting off jumbucks and drop bears, I think it's safe to say that it's pretty doable under most circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

If Frankie can do it with a tram literally roaring past his house in the wilds of the Outback while fighting off jumbucks and drop bears, I think it's safe to say that it's pretty doable under most circumstances.

Don't forget the bunyips. He has to play one handed because his other hand if always fighting bunyips.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Crossposting since I think this is the most appropriate place to ask:

The Secret World is currently on sale on Steam, but it isn't available where I live (Brazil*). This being a MMO and all, will I be able to play if a US goon gifts it to me?

Also, how many hours do you think I can reasonably get out of it? I don't have lots of time to dedicate to a single game nowadays -- therefore, I mostly would like to do quests and stick to myself.

*I swear I'm not an annoying, terrible, begging online douchebag!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 16, 2013

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Crossposting since I think this is the most appropriate place to ask.

The Secret World is currently on sale on Steam, but it isn't available where I live (Brazil). This being a MMO and all, will I be able to play if a US goon gifts it to me?

Also, how many hours do you think I can reasonably get out of it? I don't have lots of time to dedicate to a single game nowadays.

I could only imagine the game could be purchased and gifted to you. But I don't know. I would be willing to do it if you wanted to send the USD $15.

As to the hours you can get out of it? A lot :) The game has fantastic single player content which you can play at your own pace, as well as pretty fast (for an MMO) jump in and just run a dungeon style content. The dungeons individually take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on both group and dungeon. As previously mentioned, the price of the game is way worth it just for the single player content, which has great story lines, good voice acting, and a decent level of dark and intriguing content. The only real complaint is the actual fighting mechanics are a bit simplistic, but that seems to be the MMO genre in general these days.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Okay, thanks for the fast answer! I was afraid that, due to the game being unavailable on Steam and the terrible reputation of brazilian players, it would be blocked for IPs from here or something. I think I'll give it a shot! :)

killingtime
May 21, 2004

VisAbsoluta posted:

Okay, thanks for the fast answer! I was afraid that, due to the game being unavailable on Steam and the terrible reputation of brazilian players, it would be blocked for IPs from here or something. I think I'll give it a shot! :)

Oh, I don't know about any blocked IPs. I do know that many world regions play against the US servers, I can't imagine why Brazil would be blocked. You'd have a bit of lag, but the game isn't horrible with higher lag.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's the actual combat gameplay is like in Secret World?
Do you actually have to move and aim and shoot and stuff or is it more like WoW, where you just repeat the same ability pattern over and over pretty much?

Also does it have microtransactions, if so how pay2win are they?

Thanks.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Quick FYI for folks on the fence like I am. Secret World is now half off on Steam for the daily deal. $15. Going to be pouncing on that when I get home I think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's hotkey combat except you are more mobile (you generally "cast" on the run and there's a dodge roll on a medium cooldown) and you only have 7+1 active abilities at any time. The avoiding-bad-poo poo mechanics aren't revolutionary but you get to move a lot in harder content. Actual ability "rotations" or priority systems aren't too complex, most of the time it comes down to 5 builder 2 consumer with some cooldown management thrown in. There's some variety with weapons which don't use consumers which use all resources at once, buffs which trigger if you hit something seven times etc. but that's restricted to certain builds.

The item shop mainly sells cosmetic stuff like clothes, titles or pets. There are a few AP/SP boosters which mainly help with the initial rush to QL10 and one or two full builds but are otherwise unnecessary due to how the weapon skills and ability wheel fill up as you just play higher level zones. There's nothing pay-to-win about it.

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 16, 2013

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Some people are saying that the game only comes to a grind when you hit end-game. Any estimations of how much time till you get there? Just curious, already bought it. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

VisAbsoluta posted:

Some people are saying that the game only comes to a grind when you hit end-game. Any estimations of how much time till you get there? Just curious, already bought it. :)

Days of /played if you take your time and explore. I spent 20 in the first area alone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

What's the actual combat gameplay is like in Secret World?
Do you actually have to move and aim and shoot and stuff or is it more like WoW, where you just repeat the same ability pattern over and over pretty much?

Also does it have microtransactions, if so how pay2win are they?

Thanks.

It's floaty, badly animated WoW but with a lot more movement.

And every weapon type uses combo points.

(That's not to say it's bad, the animation just really sucks.)

killingtime
May 21, 2004

Len posted:

Days of /played if you take your time and explore. I spent 20 in the first area alone.

Precisely. Always watch the voice acted cut scenes, read the lore. The quests are very interesting and there aren't an overwhelming number of them like most MMOs, so you don't feel compelled to just skip through and ignore. Generally you'll be doing just one main quest that is multi-part, and gives you rewards as you go (not just at the end), and you run across little side quests that are optional, but generally are non obtrusive and can be done fairly quickly. There's also an overarching story quest line that runs throughout the full game. You sort of do a bit of it as you progress through the game.

Doing all the quests and enjoying exploring, and you can spend a LOT of time playing the game, with decently matched dungeons to the levels and areas, which are again optional.

But, if you don't care for that stuff, you can get some boosters from the store, and blow through to max item skills (there's really no "character level") and sufficient abilities to play the end game content in perhaps 2 or 3 days (less with experience).

The end game is indeed a grind, but still fairly interesting. One of the neat things about this game is that almost every quest is repeatable, and the end area (Transylvania) is still fairly challenging even after getting moderately geared. The grind is mostly to run the end game dungeons (nightmares), get "black bullion" which are the end game currency, and buy and upgrade end game gear. Also to fill out your ability wheel and try out new roles/specs.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Okay, thanks for the answers! Just one more question: can I get by mainly solo or will I need to roll with more players? I'm not sure my online time is the same as most goons due to timezones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

VisAbsoluta posted:

Okay, thanks for the answers! Just one more question: can I get by mainly solo or will I need to roll with more players? I'm not sure my online time is the same as most goons due to timezones.

Dungeons are the only time you'll need to group.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

rizzen posted:

Quick FYI for folks on the fence like I am. Secret World is now half off on Steam for the daily deal. $15. Going to be pouncing on that when I get home I think.

Now also with Steam Trading Cards! :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

It's floaty, badly animated WoW but with a lot more movement.

And every weapon type uses combo points.

(That's not to say it's bad, the animation just really sucks.)
To be fair even Blizzard is doing this with their classes (in some way) nowadays.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Reverend Dr posted:

So basically every Australian?

AR kind of has the unfortunate issue that Safety Off is one of the best builders, but it is practically the only AR builder worth using (well anima shot is good, but that's leech only).

To be fair there are several weapons with only one good builder. Its just that more people notice AR because more people use it.

Does elementalism even have a good builder?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

GEMorris posted:

To be fair there are several weapons with only one good builder. Its just that more people notice AR because more people use it.

Not compared to other ones available. Though maybe someone found a way to get one of them to work. It has way more kickass finishers than builders it seems.

killingtime
May 21, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Every weapon has a pretty equal builder. AR's with safety-off + extra bullet just happened to be the one that was _not_ pretty equal, and was obviously better. Generally every dps builder does about the same damage on a similar cooldown. The differences are in the "types" of attacks, some are strikes, blasts, bursts, chains, etc. This help figures out your build. Ele-builders would mean you'd probably want to pay attention to highly strung (ele damage boost), so you get fully bonuses (ie, all attacks should be made with highly strung up and running, it's a resource management thing). Blood builders should do the same with they blood offering debuf (always keep blood offering up to maximize blood dps). Ele has mostly chain or strike builds or attacks. Blood has chains and focuses. Etc. Passive ability are often linked to attack types, thus creating "synergy" between your builders and consumers on both weapons helps maximize the build.

There's just meta's in the game that seem to provide the more min/max dps both for individual and group. AR has great individual dps (even after the burst nerf), but provides little group utilities. Pistol provides pretty decent individual dps, but has group buffs. The current build FOTM is pistol/shotgun, because it has good dps on it's own, and it provides two group buffs, that can be rotated by multiple people bringing pistol/shotgun. I personally find pistol/shotgun pretty annoying to run, but hey, if it helps the group...

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Anyone willing to toss me a trial code?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

Anyone willing to toss me a trial code?

RFBFMN7HXDTXL8KVXM9X

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

HughGRect posted:

RFBFMN7HXDTXL8KVXM9X

Thanks! You are awesome. My brother and I will probably be joining you guys in a day or two.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm considering buying this from the sale on Steam and I had some doubts.

Are there Premium accounts? How restricted is free play? Is it more like Guild Wars 2 where money is used mostly for cosmetic things? Or like Old Republic where not having a Premium account restricts the game a lot? If I liked both of those games and WoW will I like this?

killingtime
May 21, 2004

radlum posted:

Are there Premium accounts? How restricted is free play? Is it more like Guild Wars 2 where money is used mostly for cosmetic things? Or like Old Republic where not having a Premium account restricts the game a lot? If I liked both of those games and WoW will I like this?

This was answered not very far back :)

Anyways, the micro transactions are for three things really:

1) Cosmetics - outfits, individual clothing items, pets, sparkly things, etc.
2) Account boosters for Ability and Skill Point gain (basically, helps you "level" faster), these are neat if you just feel like you need to speed things up, but provide no edge in any other real way. Basically you could skip content if you were gaining AP/SP faster.
3) Content Packs - since the game went subscription free, there are been 3 content patches (one was released just last week). These are generally $10, but are additional quests/story lines and are not necessary for the main content or any of the end game. Just really awesome quest lines, lore and such. I don't recall the stance on major additions like new cities/major zone additions (like the ever hopeful Tokyo addition), so I'm just not sure on that. Either plan for a content match, or not.

But the point being, is there is no pay to win at all. Just pay to have fun or look more spiffy. As to the clothes part, there are literally hundreds of clothing items in the game purchasable by the in game currency. The RMT clothing are just extras.

The only "premium" accounts are as follows:

1) Subscribers - you pay a normal monthly subscription rate ($15/mo, $13/6mo etc), and you get $10 worth of store credit per month (basically to pay for content patches and or goodies), you get some buffs like a once per day xp accelerator on mob kills (not really very useful), and some "veteran" and "subscriber" rewards which again are mostly cosmetic store things to be given to subscribers. You also get a 10% discount in the store. Early access to content release (3 days)
2) Grandmasters - Really just a life time subscriber. You get all the benefits of the subs above, but you only paid a fairly large one time fee.

Again, from a game standpoint, there is no pay to win benefit of the "premium" accounts. You're not going to get special treatment outside of some cosmetic goodies and a 3 day head start on content patches.

There is no kick you in the balls sort of ceiling like in the new SWTOR system. You are not treated poorly in anyway for not subscribing. You get the same store access, you get the same game content. Pay for the content patches or don't, you get to play the full game.

I don't believe there will ever be any major "buy the game again" style expansions like in WoW. But again, you could argue that's what the $10 content patches are. But the difference is you can still play the full game, you just might not get the shiny new quest lines (voice acted goodness) and maybe not have access to the new stuff like the new auxiliary weapons (like the flame thrower that was just added).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you are new to the game, tooling around Kingsmouth and suddenly realizing that your gear is lagging behind, here's a list of all the missions in Kingsmouth that have gear rewards:

QL1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a Fistful of Zombies
------------------------
Mission Type: Main (Action)
Starting Coords:  62, 135 
Given by:  Jack Boone
Reward: QL1 Weapon

The Occultist's Cookbook
------------------------
Mission Type: Side
Starting Coords:  289,330 
Given by:  The Occultist's Cookbook
Reward: QL1 Chaos Focus

The Raven
---------
Starting Coords:  289,330 
Given by:  Madame Roget
Reward: QL1 Head Talisman

Supply Run
----------
Starting Coords:  188,319 
Given by:  Helen Bannerman
Reward: QL1 Wrist Talisman

The Tentacle Trail
------------------
Starting Coords:  461,481 
Given by:  Box of squid 
Reward: QL1 Finger Talisman

Elm Street Blues
----------------
Given by:  Deputy Andy
Reward: QL1 Neck Talisman

Horror Show
-----------
Mission Type: Main (Sabotage)
Given by:  Helen Bannerman
Reward: QL1 Luck Talisman

Dust to Dust
--------------
Given by:  Henry Hawthorne
Reward: QL1 Occult Talisman

Missing Persons
---------------
Given by:  Missing persons list
Reward: QL1 Waist Talisman

QL2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veterans Day
------------
Starting Coords:  268,492 
Given by:  Kingsmouth war memorial 
Reward: QL2 Weapon

They Never Stop Coming
----------------------
Starting Coords:  357,109 
Given by:  Norma Creed
Reward: QL2 Head Talisman

Rolls Downhill
--------------
Starting Coords:  125,682
Given by:  Che Garcia Hansson
Reward: QL2 Wrist Talisman

Draugnet
--------
Given by:  Deputy Andy
Reward: QL2 Neck Talisman

Appetite for Destruction
------------------------
Given by:  Sandy "Moose" Jansen
Reward: QL2 Finger Talisman

A Sacred Place
--------------
Given by:  Henry Hawthorne
Reward: QL2 Waist Talisman

Death, and the Instruments Thereof
----------------------------------
Given by:  Sandy "Moose" Jansen
Reward: QL2 Occult Talisman

QL3

ATC
---
Mission Type: Main (Sabotage)
Starting Coords: 435, 670
Given by:  Danny Dufresne 
Reward: QL3 Weapon

Black Helicopters
----------
Starting Coords:  380,980 
Given by:  Ann Radcliffe 
Reward: QL3 Head Talisman

Runaway Lights
--------------
Starting Coords:  896, 705 
Given by:  Ellis Hill 
Reward: QL3 Finger Talisman

What the Tide Brought In
------------------------
Starting Coords:  293,975 
Given by:  Broken Orochi canister
Reward: QL3 Wrist Talisman

Evolution of the Species
------------------------
Given by:  Harrison Blake
Reward: QL3 Luck Talisman

Hulk Smash
----------
Given by:  Ann Radcliffe 
Reward: QL3 Occult Talisman

Full Metal Golem
----------------
Starting Coords:  621,671 
Given by:  Scrapyard Edgar
Reward: QL3 Waist Talisman

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
If you end up playing through the full launch storyline/like the game, I do highly recommend the mission packs. Each one easily meets and surpasses the main story missions in quality. Don't worry about them beforehand, though, they are for QL10 ("max level") characters.

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Some examples of rewards for subscribers:

Tactical ear piece (think blue tooth head set)
A pretty neat horse head mask
An anubis mask, and a themed pet

Some examples of things you can buy with "veteran" points (currency provided monthly to subscribers):

A item that allows you to repair anywhere (instead of at a vendor)
A sombrero, 3d movie glasses, and other clothes
One time use item that allows you to trash epic drops into 1 of the end game "black bullion" currency (way not worth it)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

killingtime posted:

Some examples of rewards for subscribers:

Tactical ear piece (think blue tooth head set)
A pretty neat horse head mask
An anubis mask, and a themed pet

Some examples of things you can buy with "veteran" points (currency provided monthly to subscribers):

A item that allows you to repair anywhere (instead of at a vendor)
A sombrero, 3d movie glasses, and other clothes
One time use item that allows you to trash epic drops into 1 of the end game "black bullion" currency (way not worth it)

That tacticool ear piece was important yo! The pubbies clamored for it and the loving thing doesn't even fit over the horse head or the unicorn mask. It's bullshit.

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Also, best NPC in the game:

http://wiki.crygaia.com/view/Kirsten_Geary

She voice acts this stuff, it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY9LfAO1J0

killingtime fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 16, 2013

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I just picked this up and I have no idea where the option for subtitles is. It's driving me batty.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vanderdeath posted:

I just picked this up and I have no idea where the option for subtitles is. It's driving me batty.

Unintuitively, Interface Options -> HUD -> Show Subtitles

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Do you ever actually get on Geary's "good" side?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Rookersh posted:

Do you ever actually get on Geary's "good" side?

Yes, but understandably, the line between her good side and bad side is a little blurry. I'm pretty sure you cross it somewhere along the point she decides not to have you killed.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Toshimo posted:

Unintuitively, Interface Options -> HUD -> Show Subtitles

Thank you so much for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

radlum posted:

Secret World's model is one of the best. It's almost a waste of your money to sub.

You get $10 in currency per month, so that $5 left of the sub basically buys you the one subscriber item (which used to be cool but pubbies got to it and it will probably suck most of the time now) and an XP boost.

You also earn veteran points but the veteran selection sucks.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I dunno, I still regret being unable to subscribe because I don't want to pay for a second copy of the game, because 15 bux for the horse head mask would have been totally worth it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cooked Auto posted:

An absurd amount of them, at that. Borderlands 2 has six, Saints Row 3 has 7, all of Valve's games have 8 (except TF2's 9), TSW has fifteen.

...I won't have trouble crafting the badge for that. :negative:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cooked Auto posted:

Is there any way to link my non-steam TSW to Steam so I can get the cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
In other new developments today, the Pyramidion has joined twitter https://twitter.com/EyeAmDisappoint

• Locked thread