Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyson Tomko posted:

Thanks for the advice! So just to make sure I've got this down, I:
- Say goodbye to your cherished childhood pokemon
- Weep
- pry old battery out of there and/or desolder current solder points
- use battery with tabs and solder the points marked with an X in this pic

You missed a couple of steps. I fixed it for you :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^^ That's exactly why I got the Retrode in the first place. I'm a man and I could stand losing a lot of stuff, but my Pokemon blue save (including official Mew and official surfing Pikachu from a NP contest) was not going to happen. I know I can still do the trade/power off trick to clone them (haven't tried this in probably over 10 years) but I didn't want to risk anything. I've verified the saves work in an emulator and have went as far as to make multiple copies and scatter them across the planet like dragonballs.

As of this post the only games I have with a dead/dying battery are Pokemon Yellow and Zelda LTTP. I'm fully aware they are all on borrowed time and can't wait to get started fixing them up.

fatpat268 posted:

You don't have to pry the batteries out. Just take something thin, like a small flat tip screwdriver, and wedge under the side of the battery. Heat up the solder, and then use a little pressure to free one side of the battery. Repeat for the other side.

There's no traces usually in the vicinity of the battery that you'd lift, but it's really a brute force approach if you're soldering in a new battery.

And yea, just pay attention to the polarity. The boards generally mark them, but just be careful.

Heating up the solder so the force of the screwdriver pops the battery up is a simple yet genius idea. Seems like it's going to be beyond easy and I can't wait to give it a whirl...after I find my soldering iron that is. Thanks again!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 16, 2013

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Anyone got an NTSC SNES scart cable they'd be willing to part with?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Sounds like some people need a

(it's a device for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games that dumps cartridge saves to its internal flash, which of course needs no battery. I used to use my old one to backup multiple picture rolls from the Game Boy Camera's saves, I think it can hold data from like 10 carts at once. No idea where mine is now though.)

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 16, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

Sounds like some people need a

(it's a device for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games that dumps cartridge saves to its internal flash, which of course needs no battery. I used to use my old one to backup multiple picture rolls from the Game Boy Camera's saves, I think it can hold data from like 10 carts at once. No idea where mine is now though.)

No need if you got a retrode:

https://www.retrode.com/plug-in-adapters/

Saves for gba games don't seem to be supported yet (at least, I haven't tried), but for those, and the few gba games that have batteries, you can use a ds and a ds flashcart to extract and write the saves from the gba game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So what's the consensus on putting stickers on stuff? I only do it on one or two systems but I go a little overboard. It's been years they're peeling off.

Trigger warning

http://i.imgur.com/IdHmYqr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uTns4L1.jpg

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

That is a nightmare.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It took me bloody ages to figure out that was a Wii under all those stickers.

So Stone Age Gamer started selling these cases for NES games:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/bitbox-nes-game-case.html (link to a single case; cheaper bulk packs also available)

They'll also print a cover for you from The Cover Project for a bit extra.

Getting serious Disney VHS clamshell vibes from it.

VV That's not a very :retrogames: response.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fatpat268 posted:

No need if you got a retrode:

https://www.retrode.com/plug-in-adapters/

Saves for gba games don't seem to be supported yet (at least, I haven't tried), but for those, and the few gba games that have batteries, you can use a ds and a ds flashcart to extract and write the saves from the gba game.

A retrode and the adapters for GB games costs $120. The MMC costs like $20 and it forms a viable part of a cartridge snake out the back of your Game Boy in conjunction with Gamesharks and Game Genies. :colbert:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Yeah I've got the 64 and GBx adapters (not cheap) but I have no regrets. The 64 one though is pretty cool because it even gives you 2 64 controller ports (essentially 64 to usb adapter) so it justifies the price a little better.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

I am a new owner of a Sega 32X. Now, which games do i want to play on it?

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Today is mail day :shepface:

Admiral Lasers posted:

sonic CD

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade, and Knuckles' Chaotix were the only 3 games I really enjoyed on the 32X.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Harlock posted:

Virtua Racing Deluxe, Star Wars Arcade, and Knuckles' Chaotix were the only 3 games I really enjoyed on the 32X.

No Kolibri?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/bitbox-nes-game-case.html (link to a single case; cheaper bulk packs also available)

Those are pretty fantastic. I've never been big into UGC's or anything, but I love the retro clamshell vhs vibe

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

univbee posted:

Those are awesome but man those prices. They look like they could be worth it tho. Someone needs to give us a trip report.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Admiral Lasers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2no3h3h5O8

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Got my Namco museum playstation game from Zenintrude yesterday and all is cool.

It's been mentioned before but the 32x has many good games that in my opinion definitely outweigh the bad. You could blindly pick 5 games from the 32x library and would more than likley grab at least a winner or 2.

Some of the less popular 32x games worth playing/owning are:
- Kolibri (ok pretty popular)
- Blackthorne
- Space Harrier
- Mortal Kombat II
- Metal Head
- Doom
- Stellar Squadron

Each game has their little perks of course but all are definitely worth a shot. Lots more but these are the ones I've put some time into and know fairly well.

Next on my short list is this, just because I loved the SNES version so drat much:
- Star Trek Starfleet Academy

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

univbee posted:

As nice as that looks, the thing I remember most about VHS cases like that is how easily they crushed and stopped closing right.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Pastry of the Year posted:

StarTropics! I just started playing that this past Saturday after having been fascinated by it for years and years. You are in for a treat :cool::respek::cool:

It's always been interesting to me how there's this original Nintendo IP that got a (fairly well-hyped, if I remember right) release and a sequel and yet it hasn't been nostalgia-mined to hell and back like, well, every other Nintendo IP.

My guess is that it's down to StarTropics being exclusively created for the Western market. It never got a Japanese release despite being developed internally at Nintendo in Japan. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge similarly never got a Japanese release, which was probably down to the Super Scope being even less popular there.

Hell, StarTropics didn't even rate a mention in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Meanwhile, Mother 3 stuff is everywhere. I hope Mike Jones and his yo-yo "Star" and baseball bat and spiked shoes and snowman doll are in the next Smash to befuddle Japanese audiences.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

So what's the consensus on putting stickers on stuff? I only do it on one or two systems but I go a little overboard. It's been years they're peeling off.

Trigger warning

http://i.imgur.com/IdHmYqr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uTns4L1.jpg

You sir, are a monster. How hard is Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 to find?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

Hell, StarTropics didn't even rate a mention in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Meanwhile, Mother 3 stuff is everywhere. I hope Mike Jones and his yo-yo "Star" and baseball bat and spiked shoes and snowman doll are in the next Smash to befuddle Japanese audiences.

There's also the fact that Ness is already in Smash and shares a lot of the more identifiable aspects with Mike Jones (both use yo-yos and are fans of baseball), and Earthbound/Mother has made Ness a much more popular character over time.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

juliuspringle posted:

How hard is Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 to find?

Not at all difficult. There are millions of copies of each, literally.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

univbee posted:

If these were going for similar prices to the UGC's I'd be interested. I'd need 99 cases right now though and I'm not dropping that much to case all my NES games even though having covers printed would be a nice convenience.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Admiral Lasers posted:

Knuckles Chaotix, Space Harrier, Kolibri, Virtua Racing, Night Trap. If you have a Sega CD, grab the Sega CD 32X version of Night Trap. It's still just a disc.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

When you're done purchasing Slam City as fast as you can, Tempo is also a pretty alright game that nobody's mentioned yet.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

iastudent posted:

There's also the fact that Ness is already in Smash and shares a lot of the more identifiable aspects with Mike Jones (both use yo-yos and are fans of baseball), and Earthbound/Mother has made Ness a much more popular character over time.

The irony being that StarTropics probably sold at least twice as much as EB.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BrokenKnees posted:

As nice as that looks, the thing I remember most about VHS cases like that is how easily they crushed and stopped closing right.

I was thinking that myself. I might order one if they ever get the US-modeled sd2snes back in stock; I did a test "order" of 10 but, just like the UGCs, shipping to Canada skyrockets the cost even further. I can order 100 cases and it costs $150 goddamn real dollars to ship, bringing the per-case cost to $4.25. If I weren't the only person in Canada wanting these, I'd seriously consider bulk reselling them here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

Making an unwieldy pile of plastic jutting out of your console is more important then :retrogames:

Seriously I used to have the Game Genie + the MMC + a gray Gameshark + a black Gameshark for GBC + a game cartridge, all snake-chained out the back of my Game Boy Color. Just because I could.

Imagine these all plugged in together:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

These two take me back. Although the memory card had a good chance of corrupting your saves. Is there a site that lists weird peripherals for systems? It reminded me I had this, bought when I thought I was being clever for circumventing being grounded from the internet:

All it did was send and receive email. You had to load it up with credit, but I don't think I even used half of what it came with.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Is retrogate legit? It's the only place that seems to have the SD2SNES in stock.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Risky posted:

Is retrogate legit? It's the only place that seems to have the SD2SNES in stock.

Yeah, Krikzz runs it and he makes all the Everdrives. He's also friends with ikari so he builds SD2SNES for sale.

It's also where I got my NES N8 and my SD2SNES. Shipping from Ukraine is apparently both cheaper and faster than I'd expected, too.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Are you a bro? Do you hate money? Do you love games in bulk? Maybe you should come on down to the ACID POLICE mystery box store

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Hey guys - I'm a big fan of old games, and dearly love my NES and SNES and the stockpile of stuff I've built up since I was a kid. BUT, there's a problem.

Room.

Having all my old consoles hooked up to a TV in the living room just isn't working anymore. My wife hates it, and I'd rather she not hate me, so off to a back room (with a proper goddamn CRT) they go. However, my son and I love playing old games together, so we need some kind of solution. I'm not about to spend $800 on the stupid Virtual Console to play games I already own, so I was looking at those RetroN things, and trying to find actual information on them. I have two specific questions that I'm failing to turn up answers to with googling;

1) I know these things have some compatibility problems with special chip games - if I used a Flashcard like the SD2SNES with all of them built in, would this still be a problem?
2) I'm aware that these aren't hardware reproductions put into a shell (unless I'm wrong about this?) so are these anything different than plugging some emulators onto a laptop, then running it to the TV? Aside from being able to use actual controllers, I mean.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

Are you a bro? Do you hate money? Do you love games in bulk? Maybe you should come on down to the ACID POLICE mystery box store

Yeah right, you won't trick me with your plastic vampire teeth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAB1XiTh_sU

I'd totally buy one if I wasn't cutting back on game spending

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Harlock posted:

These are coincidentally the only games I ever owned on my 32x.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ACID POLICE posted:

Ha! I may be a huge sucker for mysterious grab bags but I blew through my gaming budget this week and won't have any cash until friday. Your move, urge to spend money. :smugbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Are there any known problems with 3rd party SNES multitaps? Or rather, are there any that are blatantly garbage? I mean, as long as it works in this particular instance I don't care, since apparently the real mccoy is pretty pricey (which makes sense, since I've honestly never seen one in person).

For that matter, there wouldn't be anybody selling anything like that currently, would there? And I don't mean SA users or whatever just if it's on a place like Retrogate or something.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

So I was in Toronto checking out the retro game shops with my sister, and I saw they had a copy of Gyromite behind the counter that said "Famicom converter inside". It was marked up a good amount (I can't quite remember off the top of my head, I think it was up $20?) and I was kind of amused to know that stores have started checking for those now. Anyway we get some stuff and later when we get home to clean it (we usually open them up to clean) she holds up the board for her copy of Wrecking Crew and asks me why it looks all hosed up. Turns out it had a converter in it and no one bothered to check! huzzah! Is this a known thing? I've always heard that those things were mostly in Gyromite carts, so I didn't expect one to show up in Wrecking Crew. I guess if your looking for one, maybe check out Wrecking Crew carts too?

Erluk fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Erluk posted:

So I was in Toronto checking out the retro game shops with my sister, and I saw they had a copy of Gyromite behind the counter that said "Famicom converter inside". It was marked up a good amount (I can't quite remember off the top of my head, I think it was up $20?) and I was kind of amused to know that stores have started checking for those now. Anyway we get some stuff and later when we get home to clean it (we usually open them up to clean) she holds up the board for her copy of Wrecking Crew and asks me why it looks all hosed up. Turns out it had a converter in it and no one bothered to check! huzzah! Is this a known thing? I've always heard that those things were mostly in Gyromite carts, so I didn't expect one to show up in Wrecking Crew. I guess if your looking for one, maybe check out Wrecking Crew carts too?

they're usually in these carts

Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr.
Duck Hunt
Elevator Action
Excitebike
Golf
Gumshoe
Gyromite
Hogan’s Alley
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
Pinball