Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

docbeard posted:

It occurs to me to wonder how one might apply this principle to, say, vampires or similar supernatural critters as opposed to aliens. For all their flaws, the White Court are an interesting faction (if one that I think Butcher overuses) specifically because there's a diversity of motivations to them beyond "sucking the life out of people" and "being evil". Contrast them to, say, the Red Court who are or were comparatively simple monsters; once you know someone's a Red Court Vampire you know pretty much everything about them.

I can support varied and multi-leveled alien races with factions and minorities and subversives. Sounds great. But I think that you most definitely should not apply this principle to monsters. Vampires, werewolves, sprites, pixies, dryads, fairies, whatever... these mythical constructs were created by the human imagination for a reason, in that they always embody a subset of human traits and exclude others. I think that they're tools of the mind that are specifically created as flawed, incomplete mirrors of humanity, and they best serve their literary purpose when they are less than the sum of humanity. Vampires, for instance, represent ultimate greed, lust, and selfishness, with no remorse, guilt, or empathy. Werewolves are bestial fury. Fairies, going by older stories, are capricious prankster assholes.

So unlike alien races in sci-fi, I think that fantasy monsters should always be monolithic stereotypes. If you DON'T make them monolithic stereotypes, then they are cursed with angst, where they want to drink your blood but also don't, for vampires. Or where they want to rip your head off but also want to sex you, like with werewolves. Down that road lies Twilight and other abominations of literature.

I think that the angst and inner character conflict should always be firmly the realm of human characters. Because I think that is what separates humans from monsters, the inner conflict. Monsters are supposed to be guideposts, markers on the scale that humans may climb or descend. "He was as vicious as a werewolf" should be a recognizable reference point. "His selfishness matched that of a vampire" should be understandable. "The vampire never drank her blood because he loved her" should be a laughable idea that gets you thrown out of whatever place you were in when you said it.

But obviously not enough people share my opinion because we're drowning in sexy vampires and sexy werewolves these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Avalerion posted:

I actually enjoyed the lot of them and feel the series went from good to great going forward from the 3 book.

I thought they were all really good, but I do like 3-5 best, the last is SO BIG that it feels almost like an overview for the most part, the scale is so large that everything seems smaller in a way and marginalized to me. The first one the characters are too young and the story is very small, very full of angsty teen poo poo, most of book 2 suffers from this too. But Cursor-Prince's Fury, those are pretty rad books, and the Battle for the bridge is just excellent. Echoing someone else's sentiment, I too would be down for some sort of tactical RPG based on Alera. Maybe some sort of RISK variant or Warhammer type deal.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Alright, time to check out that Dresden files series!

15 books out, 23 planned.
:stare: Nevermind..

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

You're missing out. :)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

You can literally read 4-5 of them a month. They're short and fast.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
And it's not like you'll only enjoy the series when you catch up. It's a hella fun ride along the way, book by book.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Do it and catch up and suffer with the rest of us!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
I think one of the best parts about reading this series is this thread and seeing new readers experience the series.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

why oh WHY posted:

I think one of the best parts about reading this series is this thread and seeing new readers experience the series.

This thread has gone much better with that than the Game of Thrones thread. It was a spoiler massacre to new readers

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah. I hope it stays that way.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

It's not like a Game of Thrones or a Wheel of Time series; Butcher's pretty good about getting a book out every year to year and a half. And for the most part the book plots are self-contained, and he reintroduces most facts you need to know in the beginning of every book. There's only a few overarching plotlines that spans books.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

"Here is a series I might enjoy. If I do like it, there's lots of it to read. gently caress that."

:psyduck:

You know how if you don't like a book, you can stop reading it? Same for a series of books.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

"Here is a series I might enjoy. If I do like it, there's lots of it to read. gently caress that."

:psyduck:

I read it as not wanting to have to wait for the next book in the series to come out with so many left to go, which as someone who read Wheel of Time since the early 90's I can understand.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It might possibly be because it's a roughly £120 investment if you don't have any libraries around or access to/luck at finding used books, and a lot of people aren't doing too great on disposable income nowadays.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

You can churn through them really quickly

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Xtanstic posted:

You can churn through them really quickly

You can, I started reading the series roughly 6 weeks ago and am on Cold Days. Ghost Story was pretty good. Annoyed me at first because I really like it when Dresden blows stuff up, however it gets back into the groove later on, and had a really good revelation when he remembers everything.

Cold Days is pretty cool. Lots of stuff coming together, and even more plot points are being introduced.

Just got to the part where Toot develops a crush :allears:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Virigoth posted:

This thread has gone much better with that than the Game of Thrones thread. It was a spoiler massacre to new readers

A large part of that was the bitterness of a 10-11 year wait for a book published in two halves, neither of which were close to quality of the previous books. All while the author blogged incessantly about cons and football, and had an assistant screen any negative thoughts so he could live in an echo chamber where everyone was happy to wait a decade or more for the next novel while being told repeatedly he was almost done. It's no surprise we all went a bit WILD CARDS! after a while. It's not as bad as it used to be, though.

I'm very, very glad Butcher doesn't have this problem.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Devorum posted:

A large part of that was the bitterness of a 10-11 year wait for a book published in two halves, neither of which were close to quality of the previous books. All while the author blogged incessantly about cons and football, and had an assistant screen any negative thoughts so he could live in an echo chamber where everyone was happy to wait a decade or more for the next novel while being told repeatedly he was almost done. It's no surprise we all went a bit WILD CARDS! after a while. It's not as bad as it used to be, though.

I'm very, very glad Butcher doesn't have this problem.

"Go Jets! I just ordered a pizza! Might work on the book later."

Never forget.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Illuyankas posted:

It might possibly be because it's a roughly £120 investment if you don't have any libraries around or access to/luck at finding used books, and a lot of people aren't doing too great on disposable income nowadays.

You don't have to buy it all at once, though.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

effervescible posted:

You don't have to buy it all at once, though.

I think you're thinking of a different book series. Once the hunger sets in there is no stopping until the final book is reached.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That leaves at least one delay between beginning to read and desperately adding the entire series to one's cart on Amazon, though! So not all at once. :sun:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

-Fish- posted:

I think you're thinking of a different book series. Once the hunger sets in there is no stopping until the final book is reached.

Dresden Files are the book equivalent of Just One More Level.

10:00 pm: I got work tomorrow, I should go to bed. I'll read a couple pages to help me sleep.
11:30 pm: Eh, one more chapter won't hurt.
12:00 am: That ended on a cliffhanger, must read the next chapter!
1:30 am: I'm almost done, just 25 more pages...
2:30 am: ... I'm wide awake and Dresden's dead and what the hell?! WHERE'S THE NEXT BOOK, SCREW WORK

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

daggerdragon posted:

10:00 pm: I got work tomorrow, I should go to bed. I'll read a couple pages to help me sleep.
2:30 am: ... I'm wide awake and Dresden's dead and what the hell?! WHERE'S THE NEXT BOOK, SCREW WORK

Now imagine your last step, except you have to wait 14 months.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh, I'm quite aware. I remember very vividly waiting for two agonizing years for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. :shepicide:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

daggerdragon posted:

Oh, I'm quite aware. I remember very vividly waiting for two agonizing years for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. :shepicide:

I could do 2 years in my sleep. GRRM broke me.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

daggerdragon posted:

This except I finished it an hour into my shift at work, was incredibly hard to focus on work the rest of that day, and I had ConfusedUs's delay to deal with too, so worth it.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Daric posted:

You just have to look at some of the wild cards to see how badly he broke some people. It's actually rather sad, at least Robert Jordan released quality books after a long rear end wait, Gurm gives us crap. Thankfully we don't really have to worry about Jim doing that stuff to us.

Edit: My sentence structure is terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Robert Jordan went off the deep end and had his wife be his editor. That's why a majority of the middle books are huge meandering behemoth novels. Once he started getting sick, sadly enough, his books picked up the pace and a real editor was brought back. Brandon Sanderson also did a pretty remarkably job.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

daggerdragon posted:

Oh, you sweet summer children.

why oh WHY posted:

You just have to look at some of the wild cards to see how badly he broke some people. It's actually rather sad, at least Robert Jordan released quality books after a long rear end wait, Gurm gives us crap. Thankfully we don't really have to worry about Jim doing that stuff to us.

Edit: My sentence structure is terrible.

Yeah, these days I just assume that GRRM will never finish the next book and try not to think about living with the huge cliffhanger. That, and fill my reading with prolific authors who can keep to a reasonable schedule.

Speaking of which, doesn't the next Rivers of London book come out soon?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
This is why I generally try and stick with Sanderson these days. He seems to be some kind of robotic book generation matrix. I have even heard that when he needs to take a break from writing, he relaxes by writing something else!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Robert Jordan went off the deep end and had his wife be his editor. That's why a majority of the middle books are huge meandering behemoth novels. Once he started getting sick, sadly enough, his books picked up the pace and a real editor was brought back. Brandon Sanderson also did a pretty remarkably job.

To my knowledge, Harriet was always his editor since he was first published; that's how they met.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Devorum posted:

Speaking of which, doesn't the next Rivers of London book come out soon?

One week exactly.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Stroth posted:

One week exactly.

Or 6 months if you're American :suicide:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Or 6 months if you're American :suicide:

If it comes out on kindle, you can buy it from Amazon.co.uk despite region restrictions - amazon makes it so literally effortless to change your region in seconds, and then change back, that I half-suspect they're encouraging it and deliberately looking the other way. To do it, go to 'manage your kindle', and on the left find 'country settings'. To the right of united states click 'Change', and type in a fake address - it's pretty easy to find postal codes and whatnot in the UK, and the rest you can just make up. Once you have done this once, every time you click 'change' from then on, at the top of the 'insert address' screen, there's 'existing addresses' and you can swap between any address you've put in previously, instantly - for me, right now, I can swap between my real US address, a fake UK address, and a fake australian address in pretty much seconds, buy a book on kindle that hasn't been released in the US yet, and then swap back when I'm done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fordan posted:

To my knowledge, Harriet was always his editor since he was first published; that's how they met.

Yeah, this is accurate. She was also the editor on Ender's Game. Harriet also picked Sanderson to finish the series.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Devorum posted:

Oh, you sweet summer children.

Yeah, these days I just assume that GRRM will never finish the next book and try not to think about living with the huge cliffhanger. That, and fill my reading with prolific authors who can keep to a reasonable schedule.

It has been so long I forgot the cliffhanger to the last book. I'm going to have to check that when I get home from work. loving GRRM.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Daric posted:

You know nothing, Daric.

16 years and counting for Melanie Rawn to write The Captal's Tower.

Edit: I still hold out hope. :smith:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
That's it, just finished Cold Days.. *boosh*

The ending was pretty epic. Real good to see another side of Mab. She's not always a terrifying banshee.

All caught up now. Am I part of the gang?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dravs posted:

All caught up now. Am I part of the gang?

You don't want that. It just means that we'll start trying to hook you on other Urban Fantasy series. Read Rivers of London!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Stroth posted:

You don't want that. It just means that we'll start trying to hook you on other Urban Fantasy series. Read Rivers of London!

Felix Castor, dammit! Although it lacks a proper resolution.
Not that you shouldn't also read Rivers of London. And the Rook.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 18, 2013

• Locked thread