Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tzam posted:

Somebody talk me out of buying a 10 year old superbike.

I'm in the market for a new ride, budget 7-8000 (in Australia), and based on the bikes I've ridden, I want something with lots of torque through the rev range, not too much weight and decent suspension as I intend to get to the track this coming spring. I've spent some time on the late model Hornet 600, a 100hp I4 'tuned for midrange', and honestly the engine felt a bit lacking until the revs get up a bit. Not lacking in absolute power, but compared to whats available at high revs, the midrange feels a bit weak. I like the power delivery of a twin, but there really isn't that much that appeals available in my price range, certainly not as appealing as the 2002-3 R1 or CBR. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't get a CBR954, R1 or maybe a 929?

you could get a VTR1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Liter bikes rule, don't be afraid to consider the more liter standards as well. I'd wager insurance is probably cheaper on a ZRX/FZ1/etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tzam posted:

Somebody talk me out of buying a 10 year old superbike.

I'm in the market for a new ride, budget 7-8000 (in Australia), and based on the bikes I've ridden, I want something with lots of torque through the rev range, not too much weight and decent suspension as I intend to get to the track this coming spring. I've spent some time on the late model Hornet 600, a 100hp I4 'tuned for midrange', and honestly the engine felt a bit lacking until the revs get up a bit. Not lacking in absolute power, but compared to whats available at high revs, the midrange feels a bit weak. I like the power delivery of a twin, but there really isn't that much that appeals available in my price range, certainly not as appealing as the 2002-3 R1 or CBR. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't get a CBR954, R1 or maybe a 929?

Why not go for a twin or even a triple instead of a 4?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
You want a Bandit 1200 or whatever the 900 Hornet/919/CBF900F is called there. Standard riding positions are severely underrated.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Superbike replicas tend to have stupid tall gearing that really saps the usefulness of all that power on the street, and make top end exploration require way, way over legal limit speeds. Plus few road riders praise the ergos. Nthing the recommendation to look for a litre standard / naked instead.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I think an older R1 makes a great street sport bike. Good torque, ergos aren't too crazy, fairly cheap, oodles of power. Oh and it still looks good.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
My wife is taking the safety course offered here and is looking for a first bike. There are two ads that have caught our eyes, an '86 Shadow and a '85 Maxim-X. Is there any reason to avoid either one of these (no parts available, horrendous maintenance, deathtrap)? Anything specific to look out for when checking it out?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The maxim had a ton of power and isn't an ideal starter bike. The shadow would be fine. Their problems are almost entirely due to 30 year old electronics and clogged carbs from spending years in a toolshed.

At worst you'll need to replace the fuel pump, coils, and clean the carbs. Otherwise they run just fine and there are actually quite a few of them still on the road today.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Shadow would be a tamer ride for a first-timer. Both are pretty old though. Likelihood of a mechanical problem popping up and costing money is high on bikes that old. If you want to wrench, get an old bike; if you want to ride, look for something newer.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So I found something interesting for sale:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3894821753.html

I didn't know these bikes existed, but an old 850cc ptwin? I'm half tempted to go check it out just for the hell of it.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
I should clarify a bit - it'll be her first bike that goes on the road. She spent a lot of time tearing around forests up north on some sort of 2-stroke dirt bike so she has a bit of experience.

Another option that we've been kicking around is getting a new v-star 250, riding it for a couple years, and selling it off to get a down payment for something bigger when she knows more about what she'd like to be doing, but I'm not totally convinced she would even get a couple of years out of it before getting tired of it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I'd still shy away from the 30 year old performance bike. Normally I would also say 250 cruisers are a joke and should be skipped entirely. Though I hear insurance in Canada is wicked and I'd look into the price differences on an older 650-750 vs a modern 250. The difference might be a payment.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Slavvy posted:

Ninja 250/300, pack your bags. The ninja looks like a full-faired sports, and I guess the CBR250 does too, but the riding position and experience are basically identical to the Inazuma, just with less wind.

Oh. I thought the Inazuma was more upright. I'm seeing recommendations of the Ninja as a first bike all over the place, and that's pretty compelling. The only thing I've seen and really liked that I didn't list in my previous post is the Suzuki TU250X. Money permitting (which I think it will), and my tastes not changing, my assumption has been that I'll be buying a Triumph Bonneville in 18-months to 2 years. I've loved those loving things since I was 5. If that's the kind of bike I ultimately want to ride, is there much advantage to starting with a similar riding position, or does it not matter very much? It's certainly the best looking (to me) of all the suitable beginner bikes I've looked at.

I'm sorry for asking stupid questions. I've spent precious little time on bikes, and don't actually have a license for them yet (though that'll change in a couple of weeks). All I really know is that I love them and have enough money to dive right in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Oh. I thought the Inazuma was more upright. I'm seeing recommendations of the Ninja as a first bike all over the place, and that's pretty compelling. The only thing I've seen and really liked that I didn't list in my previous post is the Suzuki TU250X. Money permitting (which I think it will), and my tastes not changing, my assumption has been that I'll be buying a Triumph Bonneville in 18-months to 2 years. I've loved those loving things since I was 5. If that's the kind of bike I ultimately want to ride, is there much advantage to starting with a similar riding position, or does it not matter very much? It's certainly the best looking (to me) of all the suitable beginner bikes I've looked at.

I'm sorry for asking stupid questions. I've spent precious little time on bikes, and don't actually have a license for them yet (though that'll change in a couple of weeks). All I really know is that I love them and have enough money to dive right in.

Asking questions=/=stupid. Stupid people buy a harley/gixxer/whatever for their first bike and rock around with no helmet because of their faultless wisdom.

I'd avoid the volty because it has crushingly poor horsepower compared to the other 250's you've listed, to the point where highway riding can be hazardous. Also dreadful suspension, dreadful brakes, and just generally shittier quality all-round. There is no advantage to starting off on a bike which is superficially semi-similar to what your dream bike may be, your best bet is to start on something with entirely neutral, middle of the road ergonomics. This is both so you can learn to ride well, without developing bad habits, and so that you can figure out what you want out of your next bike, be it more power/comfort/touring/offroad/whatever.

My private opinion is that if you really want to be great at riding, and this outlook doesn't change, you'll never get that bonneville and end up on a sportsbike of some description.

Also, noone who ever decided on their dream bike before learning to ride still wants that bike after having ridden for a few years, because what they think they want beforehand and what they really want after they learn are completely different. Fact. :colbert:

edit: so that's what happens when you lose connection mid-post...

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 17, 2013

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 28, 2019

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Jose Pointero posted:

This is painfully true. I've always been fond of Bonnevilles myself, but now that I've been riding a while I think my next bike will be a Tiger 800 or some other middleweight dualsport. I agree that a standard for your first ride is probably a good idea.
By 'standard' you mean a stalwart, something tried and trusted, or do you mean something with a 'standard' riding position?

quote:

I also agree that avoiding the allure of old cheap "fixer upper" bikes on craigslist is a good idea for your first bike. The bike I got is 22 years old. All said and done I still got a good deal on it and still love it; but I've spent more time and effort fixing various minor issues on it than I care to admit. Looking back I think I should've spent about 1.5x more than what I did on a newer bike with a good service history.
Oh, for sure. I don't know from poo poo about mechanics anyway. I'm sure I could (and will) learn, but I've no desire to tinker with a bike any more than I have to. I've got the dosh, so I can't see why I'd cheap out and buy something old. I may even buy new, but if I do buy used, it's going to be only a couple of years old and with less than 10k on the clock.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Jose Pointero posted:

Looking back I think I should've spent about 1.5x more than what I did on a newer bike with a good service history.

This. Craigslist makes me groan every time I see a good runner for less than my non-running shitheap has been so far. Listen to this man.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 28, 2019

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Jose Pointero posted:

I was referring to riding position, but I suppose both applies :)

So, you're advocating the riding position of the TU250X/Bonneville? Do you know of any bikes like those that are of better quality than the former but less powerful than the latter, and aren't ancient UJMs?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The Bonneville isn't exactly a powerful bike. And the torque curve is... how shall I say... uninspiring? It's not so much a torque curve, as a torque shelf. Since the re-launch, triumphs are some seriously reliable bikes. I wouldn't look at them in a light any different from a japanese bike.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Nerobro posted:

The Bonneville isn't exactly a powerful bike. And the torque curve is... how shall I say... uninspiring? It's not so much a torque curve, as a torque shelf. Since the re-launch, triumphs are some seriously reliable bikes. I wouldn't look at them in a light any different from a japanese bike.

Oh, sure. I know it's not a massively powerful bike in the grand scheme, but what I mean is that it isn't approved for new riders in Australia.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
If you know you want a "standard" style riding position and you're in love with the Bonnie, just get the Bonnie. It's a 500 lb bike with ~65 hp and lazy gearing. It's not imposing for a new rider. The weight sits low, and the suspension is competant but not particularly aggressive. Just about any one can start out on one and be fine.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

If you know you want a "standard" style riding position and you're in love with the Bonnie, just get the Bonnie. It's a 500 lb bike with ~65 hp and lazy gearing. It's not imposing for a new rider. The weight sits low, and the suspension is competant but not particularly aggressive. Just about any one can start out on one and be fine.

That's exactly what I would be doing. If it were legal.

There's a whitelist of bikes that riders less than a year from having obtained their licenses are allowed to ride. Guess what isn't on it?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That's exactly what I would be doing. If it were legal.

There's a whitelist of bikes that riders less than a year from having obtained their licenses are allowed to ride. Guess what isn't on it?

drat communists.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 28, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Halo_4am posted:

The maxim had a ton of power and isn't an ideal starter bike. The shadow would be fine. Their problems are almost entirely due to 30 year old electronics and clogged carbs from spending years in a toolshed.

At worst you'll need to replace the fuel pump, coils, and clean the carbs. Otherwise they run just fine and there are actually quite a few of them still on the road today.

Confirmation on the amazing power of the Maxim - a fantastic bike if it's running properly, but a scary one if you're not used to that kind of engine with that kind of seating position. It won't be anything approaching reliable though.

Hey, here is a question about a brand new bike. I was in the dealer yesterday checking out the CB500F (the naked one) and I fell in love with it. I'm thinking of getting one for a new commuter. Has anyone ridden around on one of these yet? So far my only concern is being able to get slightly knobbier tires in the 17 inch wheel size (since part of my commute is dirt) but otherwise the whole package is exactly what I like. Thoughts on expected reliability etc?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hey, here is a question about a brand new bike. I was in the dealer yesterday checking out the CB500F (the naked one) and I fell in love with it. I'm thinking of getting one for a new commuter. Has anyone ridden around on one of these yet? So far my only concern is being able to get slightly knobbier tires in the 17 inch wheel size (since part of my commute is dirt) but otherwise the whole package is exactly what I like. Thoughts on expected reliability etc?

I've only sat on one. Ergos of a standard bike. If part of your commute is dirt I would suggest this:

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Gweenz posted:

I've only sat on one. Ergos of a standard bike. If part of your commute is dirt I would suggest this:

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx

I thought about that, but there's no difference mechanically, not even in suspension travel, as far as I can tell. Though if both were at the dealer for the same price, I'd probably take it because of the windscreen. Doesn't solve the knobby tire issue, unfortunately, but that's probably something I can overcome by riding more carefully over the washboard.

Antigeist
Nov 5, 2009
I have had a CB500F for about a month now and have been commuting on it a few times a week into Philadelphia (about 100 miles round trip). Fun little bike, not too much power, but more than enough for the highway. I would have to agree on looking into another bike if a significant portion of your commute is on dirt. I have to do about 1/4 mile of gravel to get home and that is about as far as I would ever want to take it on dirt. You could do more, but it wouldn't be fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There are surely a few knobby-ish tire options available for you regardless of bike. Sounds like what you are after are some "trail" type radials like the Pirelli MT-90, Scorpion Trail or Shinko 705s.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Confirmation on the amazing power of the Maxim - a fantastic bike if it's running properly, but a scary one if you're not used to that kind of engine with that kind of seating position. It won't be anything approaching reliable though.

Just get some dual sport 80/20 or 90/10 tires. How long are you on dirt? Is it just a dirt road or a trail?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jose Pointero posted:

I also agree that avoiding the allure of old cheap "fixer upper" bikes on craigslist is a good idea for your first bike.
I bought an expensive old fixer upper on the internet and I couldn't be happier with it. Never gonna sell that bike. But I did get it with the full intent of doing some serious bike repair learning with it myself.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Should I bid ~$4600-4800 on a former Police R1150RT with 50k on the clock? Is that totally insane? I would probably buy a tan jacket and white helmet, and watch the seas part on my commute each day.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The one major complaint about the R bikes is that their clutch splines have a habit of taking a poo poo right at 50k. Some do, some don't. The fix is comprehensive (i.e. step 1, split the bike in half.) Final drives also sometimes go right around that time period.

See if it has evidence that either has been addressed already, or if the owner thinks those problems are manifesting and that's why it's for sale. Otherwise, not a bad bike for a good price and it'll easily go another 50k+

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

Should I bid ~$4600-4800 on a former Police R1150RT with 50k on the clock? Is that totally insane? I would probably buy a tan jacket and white helmet, and watch the seas part on my commute each day.

Hahahahahahaha no gently caress no.

Those bikes are well maintained but they see HEINOUS abuse from the cops, constant idling, hard riding at low speed, etc. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that. Are you looking at it from a guy in SLO?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Hahahahahahaha no gently caress no.

Those bikes are well maintained but they see HEINOUS abuse from the cops, constant idling, hard riding at low speed, etc. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that. Are you looking at it from a guy in SLO?

Nah, this one's in Murrieta, and I was only about 10% on board to begin with. Its at $4550 right now with 20 hours left.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

Nah, this one's in Murrieta, and I was only about 10% on board to begin with. Its at $4550 right now with 20 hours left.

No way I'd get in on that. It'll probably still go over 5k because x~*bmw*~x, but I would never buy an ex police bike that I didn't anticipate having to replace just about everything on, and with the BMW clutch change? No thanks.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I had a BMW with over 50k on it. Granted it was a 97 R1100GS, but little things kept breaking and little thing on a BMW are really expensive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Never buy any ex-police vehicle (or indeed any ex-fleet vehicle). Put simply - you're buying something that an expert mechanic with a well-equipped garage can no longer economically keep maintained.

(Exceptions obviously exist, and of course if it's a vehicle that you're buying for reasons other than daily transport the cost/benefit equation changes, but it's still a pretty damned good rule)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
In the States that really depends, as departments will buy / not buy new vehicles based on how much of the annual budget they need to burn. See AI's Panther thread. Also not all 'Police' bikes were ever police bikes, although this is mostly a Harley thing.