Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
You also have to take into account any extra data the game may generate, download, or cache through the course of regular use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That makes sense. I must have just not noticed in the past because I have never seen a game that takes up that much space before.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bummey posted:

You also have to take into account any extra data the game may generate, download, or cache through the course of regular use.

For anyone who pokes around into this kind of thing, what's the usual size of a save file in those bigger games (KotOR, BG, etc.)? I have a ton of saves stashed around my iPad, and I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to pare them down and clean things up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bummey posted:

Yeah, like in Walking Dead's case it's actually downloading the content from the additional IAP episodes as you purchase them -- so you can expect a "complete" version of that game to take up a LOT more space than your initial download (that only includes episode 1) does. Some initial assets are surely reused but the dialogue & stuff probably accounts for the bulk of it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Their Twitter feed OS worth a look, as they post regular tips giving insights into how the game plays. So much of that game is fairly inscrutable so it's like a random extended tutorial.

Also the art periodically goes on sale on the creator's etsy store, so you can worry about a plague while you worry about a plague!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Not to say the the other people are wrong for finding it boring, but I really like Nimble Quest. It's one of the few action/puzzle games I play frequently. I also like TT and PP because they just let me kill 2 minutes every now and then, and you can do pretty much everything without spending money if you really don't want to. I'm really hanging out for Tiny Trains or whatever it is, and I don't even care about trains.

On that note, are there any other games that are similarly reasonable with their IAP? Pixel People is alright (gently caress the RNG though), and Happy Street was fine before the Facebook requirements were implemented (still better than most IAP games). I threw a few bucks at them to support the devs, but I never felt like I needed to.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Prince of Persia original seems to be reasonable.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
Is anyone else receiving an "Unknown Error Code" message from the GBA emulator links? I've tried both links on my iPad and iPhone and received that error.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the best iOS Tetris experience? I have the original version that launched the same day as the App Store and its slow and clunky, but I guess the new version is riddled with iap bullshit according to the reviews? I've been in a Tetris mood but gently caress that.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

For anyone who pokes around into this kind of thing, what's the usual size of a save file in those bigger games (KotOR, BG, etc.)? I have a ton of saves stashed around my iPad, and I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to pare them down and clean things up.

You don't need to worry about save files, a really large/complex save should only be a few megs. The bigger issue is when an app downloads art assets post-install. I think one of the Zanga games did it, or some franchised tie-in like Simpsons; the initial download was sub-50mb to get under the 3G download limit, but on first launch it would fetch a few hundred extra mb of art files.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

What's the best iOS Tetris experience? I have the original version that launched the same day as the App Store and its slow and clunky, but I guess the new version is riddled with iap bullshit according to the reviews? I've been in a Tetris mood but gently caress that.

There was a Tris on the app store. It's gone now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:sigh: I wish EA of all companies didn't have to get their grubby loving hands on Tetris.

It's too bad I lost the awesome Tetris keychain I had in the late 90's.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Corridor posted:

Not to say the the other people are wrong for finding it boring, but I really like Nimble Quest. It's one of the few action/puzzle games I play frequently. I also like TT and PP because they just let me kill 2 minutes every now and then, and you can do pretty much everything without spending money if you really don't want to. I'm really hanging out for Tiny Trains or whatever it is, and I don't even care about trains.

On that note, are there any other games that are similarly reasonable with their IAP? Pixel People is alright (gently caress the RNG though), and Happy Street was fine before the Facebook requirements were implemented (still better than most IAP games). I threw a few bucks at them to support the devs, but I never felt like I needed to.

Same here, I love and play all the NB games, still think PP is the best.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Corridor posted:

I have been having fun with puzzles and dragons. All you really need is one great leader and you won't need IAP. So basically you just keeping making accounts until your free chance is a great leader. It is a boring as hell to do that but after that it is a very long deep fun game.

Also since I started about 2 weeks ago I have got about 30+ dollars worth premium currency for free. Which I used to get basically get any unit I could need from the slot machine.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 17, 2013

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Puzzle n Dragons is ok, but it depends mostly on being lucky when you start the game. Be like me and have lovely leaders even after 50 gems (free event), and you'll really struggle.

You can try 'reset marathon' and keep doing tutorials (and reset the game if poo poo one pops up) until you get Odin or other good leaders, then you're pretty much sorted from early level though. Otherwise you'll have to depend on your friends to do almost all technical dungeons.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

My boyfriend's iPad mini version of pvz2 has… interesting prices.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Oh, that's not encouraging. The 'what does my credit card get charged' portion of the game is the absolute last place you want to see bugs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Peggle again on iOS. I think that makes the third time I've played through that stupid game.

please don't make peggle 2 ftp tia

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

please don't make peggle 2 ftp tia

what are you doing stop saying words oh god don't give EA any ideas

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Hell at this point I'm amazed Tetris isn't F2P and loaded with IAP. $5 for a straight piece!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kris xK posted:

Hell at this point I'm amazed Tetris isn't F2P and loaded with IAP. $5 for a straight piece!

http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/08/ta-plays-tetris-blitz-ea-goes-free-to-play-with-this-classic-block-stacker/

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Nightskye posted:

Oh, that's not encouraging. The 'what does my credit card get charged' portion of the game is the absolute last place you want to see bugs.

In all likelihood this is intentional market testing to determine the most profitable IAP price point (and to see what miniscule fraction of players will pay $21 for a plant in a video game).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

In all likelihood this is intentional market testing to determine th3e most profitable IAP price point (and to see what miniscule fraction of players will pay $21 for a plant in a video game).

A plant you already have access to with the base cost of the original game. :downs:

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

In all likelihood this is intentional market testing to determine the most profitable IAP price point (and to see what miniscule fraction of players will pay $21 for a plant in a video game).

...and to just exploit people who let their kids play with the thing and end up charging $$$$.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Deus Ex seems pretty decent. It seems like one of the more inspired efforts to bring a console/pc series to iOS. Dumbest enemies I have ever seen in a game though.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

what are you doing stop saying words oh god don't give EA any ideas

You were so close to beating that level, would you like to spend twenty peggle gems (2.99) to get an extra 3 balls?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Pladdicus posted:

You were so close to beating that level, would you like to spend twenty peggle gems (2.99) to get an extra 3 balls?

Who wouldn't pay for extra balls?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Deus Ex seems pretty decent. It seems like one of the more inspired efforts to bring a console/pc series to iOS. Dumbest enemies I have ever seen in a game though.

Just got an update that claims improved enemy AI behavior. And also "removed the restriction on weapon firing which affected certain devices"

I beat the game last night. They left it wide open for more content so I expects in app DLC episodes. I enjoyed what was there and probably would pay for more content since they suckered me in.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Just got an update that claims improved enemy AI behavior. And also "removed the restriction on weapon firing which affected certain devices"

I beat the game last night. They left it wide open for more content so I expects in app DLC episodes. I enjoyed what was there and probably would pay for more content since they suckered me in.

You're supporting a system that stole money from jailbroken users and would have been perfectly happy continuing to do so had there not been such a backlash. You are part of the problem.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bummey posted:

You're supporting a system that stole money from jailbroken users and would have been perfectly happy continuing to do so had there not been such a backlash. You are part of the problem.
Ah yes, they must've made off with tens of dollars from that scam. The scoundrels!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tens of dollars which they have now effectively given back by patching out the check.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bummey posted:

I bought the game before I even knew about any issues on jailbroken devices and I don't currently even use a jailbroken device. Am I supposed to feel guilty cause I bought a game in a series I happen to be a fan of? Plus the bad press was enough to make them patch it anyway. That might not be because the jailbreak community is so large and buys games often, but because they like to be very vocal about it when they god given right to jailbreak is infringed upon.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Deus Ex has an update. The big news is they removed the feature that prevented you from firing on jailbroken devices

quote:

What's new

Thanks to your support and feedback, we’ve made a range of improvements including:

• Improved enemy AI reaction and combat behavior
• Increased XP rewards for completing objectives
• Increased the amount of credits gained as rewards, across the game
• Improved damage and accuracy stats for the Combat Rifle
• Increased accuracy of Shotguns for better mid-range effectiveness
• Reduced some weapon costs (including high-end Plasma Rifles and Rocket Launchers)
• FIX: Removed the restriction on weapon firing which affected certain devices.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Couldn't a jailbroken person have reverted their jailbreak for the duration they wanted to play the game?

Anyway despite my sarcasm it is good to see that Square Enix can be shamed into not being such control freaks with their current releases even if it'll never be retroactive to past releases.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded is finally out on the appstore for $4.99 if anyone was waiting on it.

http://appshopper.com/games/leisure-suit-larry-reloaded

I have it on Steam, but I'd say it's worth five bucks if you want to play it on the go.

Edit: I also bought Deus Ex before stuff came out.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. I installed the GBA emulator posted earlier and it worked fine. Then I installed the updated version someone else posted, and it worked even better. I got curious and saw that there were other emulators that could be installed in a similar fashion, so I tried to install a Gameboy Color one cause there was an old GB game I wanted to play. After attempting to install it, it tried to re-write itself over the GBA emulator and then the installation failed. The gba emulator was ruined, so I deleted it and tried to install it again. Ever since then, when I try to install it doesn't make two icons anymore when trying to install, it just creates one icon, installs, and right before the end it gives me an error message.

I even tried installing it from itunes on my computer and sending to my phone through the wire but it still gives me an error message after syncing.

Does anyone have any clue as to how I could possibly fix this? The GBC emulator clearly screwed something up on my phone

Edit: google gave me this page. Ah well, it was fun while it laste

Duro fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 17, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

eeenmachine posted:

Who wouldn't pay for extra balls?
It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bummey posted:

Except if you jailbreak like me, you install ExCon and skip this whole mess. If you jailbreak you should be comfortable Googling for 10 seconds like I did.

I agree it's lovely, but lets get angry at actual problems.

E: Jailbreaking a device shouldn't be treated like a vanilla device, and as such people shouldn't complain. IMO obviously.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shwqa posted:

I have been having fun with puzzles and dragons. All you really need is one great leader and you won't need IAP. So basically you just keeping making accounts until your free chance is a great leader. It is a boring as hell to do that but after that it is a very long deep fun game.

Also since I started about 2 weeks ago I have got about 30+ dollars worth premium currency for free. Which I used to get basically get any unit I could need from the slot machine.

I keep hearing that if you're on the fence for starting to just wait until a god event, does that basically save you the hassle of making new accounts or is it a matter of getting shitloads of awesome stuff easily early on? Also how's the monster trading in it (if there's any)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Is anyone else having a problem installing the GBA4iOS today? I deleted it literally yesterday thinking I don't have time or effort to spend on this, but now that I want to play Fire Emblem, it won't install and I am filled with regret.

• Locked thread