Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

What rubble? Everything got blasted OUTward. The explosion came from inside, not like the pyramid just collapsed.

A bit of it would've come back down over the site, just from being blasted upwards. Especially since there's a big crater for it to roll down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a
Sep 25, 2000
:siren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html :siren:
well that was fast

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Can't say I saw that coming, but in hindsight it makes a lot of narrative sense. There are really not many ways the Order could have come out alive of this one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love the elementals in OotS. I don't know why I get such a kick out of periodic table elementals but I really do.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So, uh, someone who knows things give me a tactical appraisal of the situation. Monster IX is how bad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's the strongest possible summon monster spell.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It could be worse, he could have used the same spell and summoned a larger number of creatures from one or two lists down.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, in their current state that elemental should be able to just straight up beat them to death. I do find it a nice touch that Redcloak summoned something thematic to the area considering he didn't have to.

Also, the Order's bacon getting saved by the Monster in the Dark figuring that they're friends of his Paladin friend and wanting to spare them feels a teeny bit contrived. Maybe it's meant to help indicate his growing conscience?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Monster IX is as bad as Summon Monster ever gets and if it produces a single elemental, it's an Elder Elemental, which in turn is as bad as elementals ever get. Usually the gang could probably take it on but with Durkon, V and Belkar in the respective states they're in it's not looking good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

So, uh, someone who knows things give me a tactical appraisal of the situation. Monster IX is how bad.

Hm. Well, I'm not much better off than you, but its monsters are all pretty nasty, like elder elementals (I think those are basically the most powerful ones from the original Monster Manual) and evil scorpions more than 64 feet long. Also, on a note not directly related to the monsters, it's a ninth-level spell; if Redcloak can cast that he can cast, well, basically any non-epic cleric spell, plus all the ones from his domain(s?). So that gives us a good gauge of his power, too.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Not that bad. An Elder Elemental is only CR 11. Even weakened, the Order has three mostly functional level 14-15 characters. They should pretty easily be able to pull though, barring Silicon Elemental bullshit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Edit:

As above, but even if Elan does have trouble quipping against it, Haley is pretty competent at fighting.

vvvv: Both Elan and Haley appear to be unhurt, there's no 'damage' on them. Elan's down a few spells, but Haley is probably 100%

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 17, 2013

urim
Oct 1, 2003
DON'T FUCK WITH LOWTAX
So according to http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/ a creature with lvl 11 CR should be easy for a party of 4 with an ECL of 14. But considering how much damage they have already taken, its not likely to be that easy. However the kicker I think is that as they engage the elemental, the fiends are going to send Vaarsuvius back and he still basically has all his spells left.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

urim posted:

So according to http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/ a creature with lvl 11 CR should be easy for a party of 4 with an ECL of 14. But considering how much damage they have already taken, its not likely to be that easy. However the kicker I think is that as they engage the elemental, the fiends are going to send Vaarsuvius back and he still basically has all his spells left.

I figure that Tarquin either the Linear Guild or Tarquin are going to make an appearance mid-fight.

Something else I forgot: that elemental is only going to last about 2 minutes before the spell ends; The Order could conceivable outrun it, should something else not interfere.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm half expecting Roy to end up kiting it around since Redcloak instructed it to go for him first specifically.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scale can be hard to figure in OotS, but I'm pretty sure that the elemental is quite a bit taller than the crater is deep, and the crater isn't exactly a pothole.

That thing is colossal!

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

My Lovely Horse posted:

Monster IX is as bad as Summon Monster ever gets and if it produces a single elemental, it's an Elder Elemental, which in turn is as bad as elementals ever get. Usually the gang could probably take it on but with Durkon, V and Belkar in the respective states they're in it's not looking good.

or he could have rolled low attempting to summon 1d3 greater silicon elementals

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ConfusedUs posted:

Scale can be hard to figure in OotS, but I'm pretty sure that the elemental is quite a bit taller than the crater is deep, and the crater isn't exactly a pothole.

That thing is colossal!

Nah, Elder Elementals only go up to Huge. :downs:

Taerkar posted:

Edit:

As above, but even if Elan does have trouble quipping against it, Haley is pretty competent at fighting.

vvvv: Both Elan and Haley appear to be unhurt, there's no 'damage' on them. Elan's down a few spells, but Haley is probably 100%

Elementals are immune to sneak attacks; unless she has that feat that lets you bypass that or her magic weapons allow her to get around it (I doubt it), she's not going to be much more use than Elan.

Looks like it's all on Roy unless V's 23 minutes and change are up soon.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That thing is colossal!

Nope, it's huge. :engleft:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Complete Arcane introduced Elemental Monoliths, but sadly they're only Gargantuan, and the ninth level spell to summon them requires concentration to maintain.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Rich can only do stuff that's SRD anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The world is going to be saved by TMITD isn't it? He's going to end up tearing red cloak and Xykon new arseholes and then the paladins are going to end up butchered trying to kill him.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

terminal mehmet posted:

He's referenced splatbooks before

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I have to wonder where TMITD's well thought out and clever bluff came from. It might be a clue as to creature's identity; not many monsters invest in Bluff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

fool_of_sound posted:

I have to wonder where TMITD's well thought out and clever bluff came from. It might be a clue as to creature's identity; not many monsters invest in Bluff.

Well since he's been pushing babies off his plate for some amount of time I imagine he's been doing it for a while.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

terminal mehmet posted:

I wouldn't say that, he's able to use non-SRD stuff when he wants to do so, or at least stuff that's suspiciously similar. Plus there's the fact that parody is protected and all that. He was using some non-SRD monsters when Tarquin's crew whistled up some fiends.

The example was more to figure out what's the biggest hunk of animate earth you could unleash your opponent with a spell, rather than to dictate how the story could/should go.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I stand corrected. How the hell did you find those references so fast?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I wouldn't be surprised if some OotS readers can remember every page and its associated number by heart.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Slashrat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some OotS readers can remember every page and its associated number by heart.

Just remembered what rough part of the story they were from and flicked through. Elan's prestige class gets brought up fairly frequently.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Is Dashing Swordsman actually a real PrC? I thought Rich made it up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

terminal mehmet posted:

He joked about it once with the lawyer strip with the mindflayer and beholder; but really it's not true. The OGL is about using game material (rules, descriptions, etc.) in gaming content. OOTS falls into the fair use/parody category.

Of course Wizards themselves have been known to make the same confusion (e.g. going after Rusty & co. and getting mentions of "yuan-ti" expunged so Tiffany is a naga now) and people aren't eager to shell out the court costs needed to establish that they do not have to obey a C&D request.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, the Electric Orb one counts but Dashing Swordsman was invented by Rich for OotS, despite there being a couple of similar third party versions in existence. Certainly you won't find any published version who can ignore shattering glass damage as a class feature!

Also, none of Huecuva, Death Knight, or Eye of Fear and Flame are in the SRD, and no one said boo to Rich about that either.

Rich probably has the popularity, and the fact that he's on good terms with the guys over at Wizard from his days working on Dragon, not to get pushed around by Wizard C&Ds. Rusty & Co. doesn't have the same public profile, so the PR impact of pushing Mike around isn't nearly the kind of bad press they'd get if Rich so much as put out the word on Twitter that WotC lawyers were annoying him.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

You just know that Xykon deciding to go to Kraagor's gate right away is going to lead to him losing his pelvis again. Xykon and Redcloak had trouble against that one dragon guarding Xykon's old tower, Serini probably put a bunch of similarly dangerous things in there.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Slashrat posted:

I'm half expecting Roy to end up kiting it around since Redcloak instructed it to go for him first specifically.

No, he instructed it to go for "the human with the greatsword".

Does Tarquin have a greatsword?

If you write, I will make it better.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Tarquin's primary weapon is a greataxe, but he's down to using a whip now after losing the axe.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Reading through the archives, I found this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html
O-chul says he and Lien are heading to Kraggor's gate.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

No, he instructed it to go for "the human with the greatsword".

Does Tarquin have a greatsword?

I'm with you on this one, it wouldn't be too surprising to see Tarquin show up with a greatsword and be held up long enough for the gang to make an escape.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gregen posted:

I'm with you on this one, it wouldn't be too surprising to see Tarquin show up with a greatsword and be held up long enough for the gang to make an escape.

It wouldn't be surprising at all, which is why it probably won't happen. (I may have to eat my words later :v:)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Roy could just drop his greatsword, or hand it to Belkar and the elemental's orders would be broken, making it presumably sit there, or start looking for a human with a great sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think that would be trumped by the "kill everyone" part of the command.