Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess? Never watched the US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, Top Gear US?

But with hosts that... host well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
TGUS is getting better. They've cut out the poo poo they totally aren't good at like news and SIARPC. It's nothing but challenges and trips now. Once they get a better rapport (or better hosts) it could be a really great show. TGUK is pretty good, but some episodes I just don't give two shits about what they are doing. They made the cars interesting this time, but at the outset I was thinking "Why the hell are they doing this again?" They already did a convertible supercar episode with the California, that Lambo and something else an Aston or something. Do more challenges, pick new cars. It has to be more than a small majority that's tired of "Here's the new Porsche, it's 15 pounds lighter and has a wackier paint job than last time." There are so many cars they could be reviewing besides the same super cars over and over. It's to the point where I don't even think Lamborghinis or Ferraris are even special anymore.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Cojawfee posted:

TGUS is getting better. They've cut out the poo poo they totally aren't good at like news and SIARPC. It's nothing but challenges and trips now. Once they get a better rapport (or better hosts) it could be a really great show. TGUK is pretty good, but some episodes I just don't give two shits about what they are doing. They made the cars interesting this time, but at the outset I was thinking "Why the hell are they doing this again?" They already did a convertible supercar episode with the California, that Lambo and something else an Aston or something. Do more challenges, pick new cars. It has to be more than a small majority that's tired of "Here's the new Porsche, it's 15 pounds lighter and has a wackier paint job than last time." There are so many cars they could be reviewing besides the same super cars over and over. It's to the point where I don't even think Lamborghinis or Ferraris are even special anymore.

Pretty much this, seen the cars before.
I'd have been much more interested in seeing them go for something a bit different. A cross-country trip in a Caterham, Atom, and an XBOW or something.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a good episode. The best so far this season. Love the McLaren :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I loved them standing by the Rock talking about being in Britain again and again and again. Then the Sir Francis Drake race track at the end.

Every time they decide to be bastards to other countries is always funny*.

*Except the time with Mexico.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

I loved them standing by the Rock talking about being in Britain again and again and again. Then the Sir Francis Drake race track at the end.

I had no idea Gibraltar was actually British.

Top Gear, it's informative!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's British in the same way the Falklands are British.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

So the Brits consider it British, and everyone else sort of disagrees, but can't be arsed to do anything about it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

So the Brits consider it British, and everyone else sort of disagrees, but can't be arsed to do anything about it?

the people who live there consider it British, and the country next to it sort of disagrees, and nobody else really gives a poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hey now, the British needed the Falklands for strategic sheep purposes!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If it was that or deal with the Welsh I can see why it was worth going to war.

:v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A sensible foreign policy is one that involves an extremely large navy, a map, and a pink highlighter.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
For the Americans here that arn't quite upto scratch, the difference between England and Britain is England is the small plot of land below Scotland and Britain is what ever we stick our flag on. :colbert:

It doesn't have to be connected to England via land, its why it's an Empire, son.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ak Gara posted:

For the Americans here that arn't quite upto scratch, the difference between England and Britain is England is the small plot of land below Scotland and Britain is what ever we stick our flag on. :colbert:

It doesn't have to be connected to England via land, its why it's an Empire, son.

So the Moon is U.S. territory then?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fucknag posted:

So the Moon is U.S. territory then?

Duh, that's basically the whole reason why Russia lost the cold war, they got outflanked via moon.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's British in exactly the same way Hawaii and Alaska and Puerto Rico are American.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I hate TGUS because they're filming right now on the Skyway in Buffalo and I hate traffic. If I had known that's what was going on, and it wasn't Florida hot out, I'd have tried to harass the fat one instead of swearing and getting lost.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Trabant posted:

Hey now, the British needed the Falklands for strategic sheep purposes!

Oil actually. There's some big reserves there I believe.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

drgitlin posted:

It's British in exactly the same way Hawaii and Alaska and Puerto Rico are American.

Eh. You got 1/3. Hawaii/Alaska are states, Puerto Rico/Guam/Virgin Islands, those are more directly analogous to the overseas British territories.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Cat Terrist posted:

Oil actually. There's some big reserves there I believe.

It's a jooooke.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So nobody is looking for cheap as poo poo property in Spain then?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Just because it's empty/abandoned doesn't mean it's cheap. There have been commercial lots in Red Deer that have been sitting empty for 10 years and are overgrown with vegetation, and they are still asking $330,000 an acre.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Preoptopus posted:

In some hosed up kind of logic, they CAN'T be sold cheap cheap because the banks financing them won't let them go cheap. They have to prop up that bubble as much as possible.
Seen similar things here in Romania with developments standing empty for years.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Jut posted:

In some hosed up kind of logic, they CAN'T be sold cheap cheap because the banks financing them won't let them go cheap. They have to prop up that bubble as much as possible.
Seen similar things here in Romania with developments standing empty for years.

Ive found this even now in the UK, been buying a house and some are just lying empty despite having offers to buy on them. When you ask why its because they are repo's and the banks still value them at pre-crash prices. They are just letting them sit there till someone buys it for a stupid amount.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Preoptopus posted:

Would you really want to buy anything build to lovely modern standards that has been sitting empty for 5 years?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Would you really want to buy anything build to lovely modern standards that has been sitting empty for 5 years?

Hell in the USA I wouldn't touch anything built in the last 13+ years if I was looking at a single family home. I know of a certain development near me (100+ houses) that the builder put in air coniditioning and heater units that aren't designed for the square footage of the house. So you get massive bills and then your units burn out from being overworked. Then, have fun with no-name brand chinese vinyl siding that goes bad after 5 years with bonus of having your roof shingles start to curl and needing replacement as well. God knows what else is wrong with those houses as well.

That new house starts looking like a massive money pit pretty quickly.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody watch today's episode? That yellow SLS was something else.

Also:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Mustache Ride posted:

Also:

Yeah to hell with range I'd rather have it than the black series.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah to hell with range I'd rather have it than the black series.

It would be seriously hard to choose. The instant torque vs the black series madness.

The first launch of the hovervan was hilarious, but kind of telegraphed with the wetsuits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would rather have the Black. It sounds awesome because of the V8 and it has more range. I don't know if I'd ever be able to drive an electric car. Trying them out in Forza has left me constantly getting my speed wrong because I can't get any kind of audio help from an engine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Scripted or not, blowing away all the restaurant lawn furniture and pissing people off was pretty hilarious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"When the river Penis bursts its banks..."

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
HoverVan was awesome. Should have used a bigger fuel cell than just 2 gallons for the lift engine.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The woman in the striped top.

:stare:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

The woman in the striped top.

:stare:

Yeah, I have a friend that was on Top Gear in the audience a few seasons back, she said they purposefully put all the most attractive women toward the front.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I have a friend that was on Top Gear in the audience a few seasons back, she said they purposefully put all the most attractive women toward the front.
That's pretty obvious to anyone who's seen more than a couple of episodes.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Predictable but I still laughed pretty hard several times. Also, where did they find a k1200 engine that only puts out 90HP. Even the performance reduced version is 98HP (normally 130 or 160 depending on year).

e: maybe it was a k1100. Need to look closer tomorrow.

e2: k1100 but even still those are 100hp :iiam:

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 23, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's pretty obvious to anyone who's seen more than a couple of episodes.

There was an exception this time:

Not ugly, but significantly less attractive than the others - the juxtaposition is striking.

I wonder how wearing the Union Jack in Britain is taken compared to wearing a giant Stars and Stripes jacket/shirt/whatever in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mustache Ride posted:

I was stunned that it was only 2.7 seconds slower than the petrol model despite being half a tonne heavier. Imagine if they were the same weight - the electric would have completely hosed it.