Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Trench_Rat posted:

what is the deal wiht the one hindu island

edit: isnt Vietnam mostly catholic?

Peanut President posted:

Yeah wiki doesn't go doesn't go into much of an explanation. Says that due to "cultural barriers" Bali kept hindu while the rest changed religions.

Bali is interesting. :allears:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balinese_Hinduism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism_in_Indonesia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I have a really large image i want to share, like, too large to upload to imgur. How should I go about it? Just link it?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
minus.com does larger image files, up to 20MB. It should be doable there.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I got it

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 17, 2013

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

computer parts posted:

A map I found from here when looking at minority-majority states:

I really wish they had broken down the 2 to 5 group more. 3 of the 4 largest counties fall into this group (Harris, Dallas, Bexar). Comparing cities would be interesting Dallas and Plano for instance.

Also I keep seeing articles like the one you linked. Texas will be changing a lot over the next couple of decades, I wonder how it all ends up for us.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

texaholic posted:

Also I keep seeing articles like the one you linked. Texas will be changing a lot over the next couple of decades, I wonder how it all ends up for us.

Electing Democrats. :v:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What about a hispanic political party?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Baloogan posted:

What do you think this is, europe? :clint:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

They actually have tried this before in the 1970s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Raza_Unida_Party). They won some local races, but couldn't get any statewide or national traction. Obviously with a growing Hispanic population this could change - they probably won't win, but they could be kingmakers if someone (anyone, I'm begging you) starts throwing money at the Valley and the cities to register and mobilize them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Feeding the nation! Feeding a lot of lawns in the desert!

This one is great too:

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 17, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How long will it be before desalinization becomes a Big Deal in America? We're going to run out of fresh water, aren't we?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Water resources in the near future are going to be the most painful thing in American history and probably will destroy the political structure in this nation.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Looking at maps of the Mojave Desert almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

PittTheElder posted:

Electing Democrats. :v:

It's not like they haven't done that before!

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

prefect posted:

How long will it be before desalinization becomes a Big Deal in America? We're going to run out of fresh water, aren't we?

Remember that time you invaded a sovereign nation for oil?

poo poo:canada:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

dethslayer666 posted:

Hey. We invited them once nicely at the beginning, after that...

Coffee Production

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

prefect posted:

Realistically, mostly what will happen is that California will just have to stop trying to be the country's largest producer of so many high water demand crops, since the export agricultural market is using a lot more water than the actual population.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They grow that much coffee in the Baltics?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PrinceRandom posted:

Hey. We invited them once nicely at the beginning, after that...

Coffee Production

How are Lithuania, Belarus and the Ukraine able to produce so much coffee? I thought it was vulnerable to frosts or something.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

dethslayer666 posted:

I, for one, welcome the draining of the Great Lakes for the sake of green lawns in Phoenix.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

khwarezm posted:

How are Lithuania, Belarus and the Ukraine able to produce so much coffee? I thought it was vulnerable to frosts or something.
Pretty sure they don't grow any, so if that map is accurate then it's some weird technicality, like Spanish olives being turned into olive oil in Italy, and thus becoming Italian olive oil. The countries that actually grow coffee are all hot as hell.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

khwarezm posted:

That's confusing me to. I got lots of maps from this guy about agricultural production. I think he mislabeled that map or included coffee factory production (instant production and such).

Well, it's removed from Wikipedia where I got it from, so I submit another one.

and the "Bean Belt"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia also has some coffee production in Queensland, although it isn't much, but it does exist.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The US also has some in Hawaii.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

rscott posted:

They grow that much coffee in the Baltics?

My favorite part of that map (that clearly indicates its bizarreness) is how the minimal coffee growth so carefully follows the Russia/Kazakhstan border.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

The US also has some in Hawaii.

Kona is the least equatorial coffee growing area in the world at 19.5° N.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

This is from the Wikimedia page on the first one. I'm still not sure how he generated the data. AndrewMT is the guys name and he has one of those for just about every agricultural product.

"Map of coffee production (average percentage of land used for its production times average yield in each grid cell) across the world compiled by the University of Minnesota Institute on the Environment with data from: Monfreda, C., N. Ramankutty, and J.A. Foley. 2008. Farming the planet: 2. Geographic distribution of crop areas, yields, physiological types, and net primary production in the year 2000. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 22: GB1022"

I checked in FAO's statistics page and it didn't list any "coffee, green" production in Europe so. I guess his book hosed up? :shrug:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This map might tell you a few little things about world food production:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's interesting because, again, something is up with Russia: an FAO document on Alfalfa mentions that "Currently, alfalfa production is mainly distributed in temperate regions such as the US, Canada, Italy, France, China and south Russia in the Northern Hemisphere, and Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand in the Southern Hemisphere.", but the map is empty in both China and Russia.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Killer robot posted:

Realistically, mostly what will happen is that California will just have to stop trying to be the country's largest producer of so many high water demand crops, since the export agricultural market is using a lot more water than the actual population.

Where I lived in California, the prices for water varied depending on if you lived on a farm or in town. The water prices in town were many times greater and made it comparable to living on a farm which used lots of irrigated water. The towns used far less water, even if everyone wanted a green lawn, than did the farms. The towns basically subsidized the cost of water for farmers.

Dusseldorf posted:

Interesting. The California farm I lived on grew alfalfa most years.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dusseldorf posted:

I'll go with meat producing countries for 500 alex. :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

There is no $500 clue in Jeopardy :colbert:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

There is no $500 clue in Jeopardy :colbert:

There was in the first round before 2001.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Aha. I can try to make up for my coffee failures.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dusseldorf posted:

There was in the first round before 2001.

They changed the money amounts in Jeopardy?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I knew Oroville had to be good for something! You're welcome, L.A.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

prefect posted:

They changed the money amounts in Jeopardy?

Doubled them. The actual worth of that money had slipped quite a ways.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

A map from 1942 illustrating the deployment of Allied forces in Australia. In black, just above the city of Brisbane, we can see a mark that denotes the alleged "Brisbane Line". Although it is unclear whether such a plan officially existed, the plan reportedly involved the withdrawal of forces from the Northern region of the country down to Brisbane in the event of a Japanese invasion; effectively ceding the northern half of Australia to protect the country's industrial base. The plan was attacked by the Labor Party minister Eddie Ward (Labor had won government in 1941, taking power from the right United Australia Party), who denounced the plan as treacherous and defeatist.

Ward was never able to provide evidence of the plan's existence, and a subsequent Royal Commission later found no evidence of the documents Ward had called on. The controversy over the "Brisbane Line" plan contributed to Labor holding onto government in the 1943 election.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Prism posted:

Doubled them. The actual worth of that money had slipped quite a ways.

Also, that was right around the time Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? was a prime time thing and there were a lot of jokes/complaints that the amount you could walk away with on Jeopardy! was not on par with the difficulty of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

PrinceRandom posted:

This is from the Wikimedia page on the first one. I'm still not sure how he generated the data. AndrewMT is the guys name and he has one of those for just about every agricultural product.

"Map of coffee production (average percentage of land used for its production times average yield in each grid cell) across the world compiled by the University of Minnesota Institute on the Environment with data from: Monfreda, C., N. Ramankutty, and J.A. Foley. 2008. Farming the planet: 2. Geographic distribution of crop areas, yields, physiological types, and net primary production in the year 2000. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 22: GB1022"

I checked in FAO's statistics page and it didn't list any "coffee, green" production in Europe so. I guess his book hosed up? :shrug:

The study author might have read a mistranslation and confused coffee with grain coffee, which is just roasted barley, rye, and chicory (all of which grow in those regions).