Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I hope they include a 2008 Financial meltdown event so that would-be China players can sort of sit back and be all like "'Sup Western world. How's it goin'? :smug:"

Then find their smugness has been decidedly misplaced when China's economic policies catch up to them and/or their method of cooking the books isn't a sustainable growth model!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paradox's marketing is loving weird.

Paradox's marketing is loving glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53_GV2aAg8

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That reminds me, is there some secret console command to maneuver the camera so you get a sweet panoramic view like at 0:13 of the EXTREME trailer? It's in-engine so there should be a way.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I would unironically watch the complete EUIV musical.

...drat it, why can't THAT be a pre-order bonus?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

A single population point in a Vicky POP represents a family unit rather than an individual, so keep that in mind when assigning pop sizes. If the game says the US has a population of, say, 15 million, it actually has quite a bit more than that.

Really? I thought the general population you see on the top is adult males, and then by checking the ledger you get the entire population. The household part makes more sense, though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MothraAttack posted:

Really? I thought the general population you see on the top is adult males, and then by checking the ledger you get the entire population. The household part makes more sense, though.

You're actually correct, that's exactly what it shows - each adult male is abstracted as having three other family members in his household, but aside from the ledger pop values the "real" number has no bearing on the game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the total number of pops is 1/4th the total population of the country...it's supposed to represent the workforce (and exclude women, children, and the elderly). Even so, if you left that conceit in and pretended that women still don't work in 1990, the global population was ~5.3 billion people. Leaving the 1 pop=4 people mechanic alone, we're talking over 1.3 billion pops at game start.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alright, I'm going to try editing some pop files now that I'm home using the advice and tools discussed over the last few pages.

Wish me luck...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ExtraNoise posted:

Alright, I'm going to try editing some pop files now that I'm home using the advice and tools discussed over the last few pages.

Wish me luck...

Listening to how difficult it is to mod Vicky II makes me dread the inevitable modding I'll have to do for my mega-campaign.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ExtraNoise posted:

Wish me luck...

Good luck!

How many people will you have a POP representing?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Yeah, the total number of pops is 1/4th the total population of the country...it's supposed to represent the workforce (and exclude women, children, and the elderly). Even so, if you left that conceit in and pretended that women still don't work in 1990, the global population was ~5.3 billion people. Leaving the 1 pop=4 people mechanic alone, we're talking over 1.3 billion pops at game start.

You could always just turn 'Modern Times' into 'Near Future Times' and set it immediately after a global bird flu pandemic or whatever that killed two-thirds of the Earth's population, bringing the number of required POPs down to manageable levels.

Thinking about it, you could probably run with that scenario a lot further than just fewer pops, it would be a good opportunity to Balkanize and/or decivilize the hell out of everything or gently caress with government types.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Good luck!

How many people will you have a POP representing?

I am starting with my theory of 10 for the moment.

Mister Bates posted:

You could always just turn 'Modern Times' into 'Near Future Times' and set it immediately after a global bird flu pandemic or whatever that killed two-thirds of the Earth's population, bringing the number of required POPs down to manageable levels.

Thinking about it, you could probably run with that scenario a lot further than just fewer pops, it would be a good opportunity to Balkanize and/or decivilize the hell out of everything or gently caress with government types.

This is a really cool idea.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I really like Hoi2, mostly playing Darkest Hour. If avoiding HOI3 is still recommended are there any other Paradox games that are similar in terms of depth of tech trees and mixed unit combat?

I tried to get into CK2 but it seemed like more of a control lords simulator than a conquer poo poo simulator, so it wasn't really my cup of tea.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I really like Hoi2, mostly playing Darkest Hour. If avoiding HOI3 is still recommended are there any other Paradox games that are similar in terms of depth of tech trees and mixed unit combat?

I tried to get into CK2 but it seemed like more of a control lords simulator than a conquer poo poo simulator, so it wasn't really my cup of tea.

The closest would be march of the eagles but the real answer is no, there's nothing quite like HoI2.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

uPen posted:

The closest would be march of the eagles but the real answer is no, there's nothing quite like HoI2.

Guess I'll just try out the latest Civ expansion instead. :)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pryor on Fire posted:

Vicky2 is the only series with anything resembling the hoi tech trees. If you were playing hoi2/dh for ww2 sperg reasons then you may actually enjoy hoi3. If you can grab hoi3 with some expansions (ideally including Their Finest Hour as it is the best one) for ten or under it might be worth it.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Yay! Paradox has allowed quill18 to release a preview LP of EU4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcscBCW4DQ

Good choice!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Vodos posted:

Yay! Paradox has allowed quill18 to release a preview LP of EU4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcscBCW4DQ

Good choice!

Kind of. Quill18 is kind of really annoyingly bad at games sometimes, but he displays stuff fairly well as well I guess?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Beamed posted:

Kind of. Quill18 is kind of really annoyingly bad at games sometimes, but he displays stuff fairly well as well I guess?

That's my main beef with the guy. He tries really hard sometimes but he also doesn't do enough research in the game to really show it off well. He makes some boneheaded decisions, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why can't it be 13 August already :sigh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eh Quill isn't an elite player or anything but he's good enough to effectively show everything off and he's good at presenting things.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Eh Quill isn't an elite player or anything but he's good enough to effectively show everything off and he's good at presenting things.

That's true, that's why I won't knock the choice too hard. I just can't watch his LPs without getting frustrated - although, ironically, I prefer my LPs done by not-experts of a game. I don't know why!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Looks great, the only thing that weirds me out a little is how units sail/walk smoothly to the province border and then teleport to the middle of the next province. I like the smooth movement conceptually, but I almost think I prefer the old style to the hybrid.

EDIT: Except sometimes they don't. Sometimes they seem to move all the way smoothly. Confused. :confused:

EDIT EDIT: Production map mode looks amazing! It's got the speed there and everything

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 17, 2013

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Except sometimes they don't. Sometimes they seem to move all the way smoothly. Confused. :confused:

Probably still a work in progress.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

JGBeagle posted:

Probably still a work in progress.

Yeah, no doubt. Other units would seem to march in place without moving. Tried to see if I could figure out a system as to what was what, but I couldn't.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I had forgotten about the movement changes to defeated armies, that's going to make things a lot better. Most of the whack-a-mole I play--especially in CK2 but it's an issue in EU as well--is trying to catch an army in order to force a battle in the first place, but cutting down on it after the battle will still help tremendously. It'll also add an interesting strategic choice after every battle--do you chase them down across two provinces and remove an army from the field, or let them escape and regroup, but free your army up for other objectives?

Hopefully they'll fix the Play-Doh looking political map mode (I'm sure they will, iirc CK2's political mode looked the same until just before release) but other than that the game looks fantastic!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The units moving around adds a bit of presence to them, which is nice. I do kinda wonder how the trade system is really gonna work, such as for example if I as Denmark have only a bunch of Caribbean colonies. From the looks of it, I have to compete in 3 different nodes in Europe alone, just to get the poo poo where it needs to go, and then compete for it there to actually get anything out of it. Is it historical that London just sucked up all the trade from the Caribbean that went our way from our colonies?

It probably also helps Paradox to have someone that's obviously not the world's best EU4 player (I think even someone unfamiliar with the genre would realize that) still manages to do alright. The promise of being able to ease into this type of game, instead of having to be the world's premier grognard king can't but help sell the game to people who love history but are scared of the crazy poo poo some grognards love.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Okay, so after trying both manually to edit pop files and using the tools posted earlier, I've decided I'm going to need a new custom-made tool to just generate numbers quick and dirty. I've thought up a little app and sent it off to a friend to help program up. Ta da!:

Everything but the first culture is optional. It would be nice to make adding more (or subtracting) dynamic, but five should be plenty for most of what I'm planning to do. Really I will be using only the first one a lot of times anyway.

Here's the percentage breakdown from what I could figure out based on the base game:

code:
Urban Percentages

aristocrats = 0.2% - 1%
capitalists = 0.2% - 2%
bureaucrats = 0.2% - 4%
officers = 0% - 3%
clergymen = 2% - 3%
clerks = 1% - 4%
craftsmen = 20% - 30%
artisans = 30% - 40%
soldiers = 1% - 5%
farmers = 20% - 30%

Rural Percentages

aristocrats = 0%
capitalists = 0% - 1%
bureaucrats = 1% - 2%
officers = 0% - 1%
clergymen = 1% - 3%
clerks = 0% - 2%
craftsmen = 0% - 4%
artisans = 40% - 60%
soldiers = 2% - 5%
farmers = 40% - 60%
I'm hoping this will save a lot of time. :)

Edit: The number amount comes from the 1990 census data for the city that each territory is named after, divided by 10. Hopefully this will be at least approximately close. Thanks to Wikipedia.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 17, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What is an "aristocrat" pop supposed to even mean in a modern context anyway? The 1%? The aristocrat pops in V2 get their money from RGOs, don't they? I just wonder if it's necessary to have them in at all, or if it's possible to just set their pops to zero entirely.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

What is an "aristocrat" pop supposed to even mean in a modern context anyway? The 1%? The aristocrat pops in V2 get their money from RGOs, don't they? I just wonder if it's necessary to have them in at all, or if it's possible to just set their pops to zero entirely.

Landlords? :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

Rentier capitalists who suck the lifeblood out of the economy, as opposed to normal capitalist who just suck it out of the working class. You might need to change how they get their money though.

E: If you could have them take a portion of the capitalists' income, instead of farmers, that would probably work. They should be a black hole that just sucks up all the drat money, while just spending a bit of it on yachts and poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 18, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Large scale land owners, "old money" etc. Modern Capitalists are hedge-fund managers, aristocrats are living of their inheritance and generally not working for a living.

Chessylite
Jan 21, 2009

Excretus ex fortuna

True that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxxnq5YAVHw

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

synertia posted:

That's my main beef with the guy. He tries really hard sometimes but he also doesn't do enough research in the game to really show it off well. He makes some boneheaded decisions, too.

Nothing could be as bad as Civilization V Game Grumps.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Raserys posted:

In all fairness to Quill his latest Civ Let's Play is pretty good. Venice looks tricky to play as and from what I've seen he does pretty well. I guess it's just the Paradox stuff he kind of struggles with. Trying to watch him play the Spanish Civil War in HOI3 was pretty rough.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I have a request of Paradox: please add in the V2 polar bear portraits to your forum. I want a :krad: polar bear as an avatar.

e: Wiz knows what the people need the most.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 18, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So is it just me or does cultural conversion in EU4 seem a bit... easy?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Looking for an easy country for your first campaign? Wiz has you covered.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Raserys posted:

Had any of those guys ever played any Civ game before ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ExtraNoise posted:

Here's the percentage breakdown from what I could figure out based on the base game:

code:
Urban Percentages

aristocrats = 0.2% - 1%
capitalists = 0.2% - 2%
bureaucrats = 0.2% - 4%
officers = 0% - 3%
clergymen = 2% - 3%
clerks = 1% - 4%
craftsmen = 20% - 30%
artisans = 30% - 40%
soldiers = 1% - 5%
farmers = 20% - 30%

Rural Percentages

aristocrats = 0%
capitalists = 0% - 1%
bureaucrats = 1% - 2%
officers = 0% - 1%
clergymen = 1% - 3%
clerks = 0% - 2%
craftsmen = 0% - 4%
artisans = 40% - 60%
soldiers = 2% - 5%
farmers = 40% - 60%
I'm hoping this will save a lot of time. :)

Eh. These are just rough figures, right? They don't really bear any resemblance to the makeup of a modern society at all.

Looking at the ten-sector breakdown for the US in 1993, we have

Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing - 1.94%
Mining and Quarrying - 0.51%
Manufacturing - 14.41%
Public Utilities - 0.55%
Construction - 5.2%
Wholesale & Retail, Hotels % Restaurants - 23.81%
Transport, Storage and Communication - 4.77%
Finance, Insurance and Real Estate - 15.9%
Community, Social and Personal Service - 6.11%
Government Services - 26.8%

Which is

Farmers/Labourers - 2.45%
Craftsmen/Clerks/Clergy/Artisans* - 70.75%
Bureaucrats/Officers/Soldiers** - 26.8% (!!!)

*You have to represent service-industry personal because, while that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it makes much more sense than making them primary-sector workers
**(I am assuming here that "government services" includes the armed forces here, need to check that)

Breaking it down further:

Farmers and Labourers split automatically depending on the RGO type, so obviously we don't need to worry about that. Remember, though, that in Vicky "Aristocrats" include yeomen and smallholding farmers: anyone that owns the land they work qualifies as an Aristocrat, basically, even if they do the work themselves. I don't know how much of a factor that is in the States: I think your agriculture is mostly in the hands of big agricorps now?
Kind of hard to figure out who's an "Artisan", these days, but generally you're looking for skilled or semi-skilled professions that typically do not work in an office, factory or retail outlet/eatery: I'm thinking builders, plumbers, electricians, that sort of thing, as well as traditional artisans like luthiers. I very much doubt this segment is going to be as large as Craftsmen or Clerks; actually, I very much doubt it's going to be anywhere even close. "Construction" is 5.2%, add 2% for "misc" and round it up; call it 8%.
"Clergy" includes educators and academics in general, as well as actual clergy, but I doubt any of those are a particularly large class, even today. Say 2~3% in the countryside and 4% overall.
That leaves 58.77% to split between Craftsmen and Clerks, the important question being, what separates one from the other? Tertiary education, I would say; Wikipedia agrees with me. A quick glance at the class in the US article tells me that 28% of the population have a Bachelor's or better; in 1993, it was closer to 20%- say 23%. Most, but not all, of those will be held by Clerks, Bureaucrats or Clergy. If we say, for the sake of argument, that all Clergy have degrees, and split the rest proportionally, we get... 13.29% Clerks and 45.48% Craftsmen.
Soldiers: I'm not sure what the size of the US Army was in 1993, but coming out of the Cold War, 2 million seems like a good figure (do yourself a favour; make brigades 10k men per). That's about 1.54% Soldiers or Officers, leaving a whopping 25.26% of the population to be Bureaucrats. Obviously, this is far more than V2 thinks can be useful, so you want to either increase the administrative cost of reforms, knock ~17% back to Clerks & Craftsmen (-> 17.19% Clerks, 58.48% Craftsmen), or have nearly a fifth of the population sitting around being useless (aka, the Tea Party position).

So, in summary:

code:
aristocrats = 1%
capitalists = 0.25%
bureaucrats = 25%
officers = 0.25%
clergymen = 4%
clerks = 13%
craftsmen = 45%
artisans = 8%
soldiers = 1.5%
farmers = 2%
I don't want to be that spergy rear end in a top hat that rants at you to get every tiny detail correct, but I think you can do better even as a first draft, and it's not really something you can neglect- this sort of social make up is going to have a radically different political character.

• Locked thread