Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Colt Cannon posted:

Are people still playing this game? Is there a full gun list some where?

Also, how long have people been able to play this game? I mean, there is a point where you just run out of being able to find supplies right?

I finally 'stopped' playing this the other night, since it started freezing up on my really badly. I want to say it's because I gathered way too many survivors, but who knows. I thought what I would do before the final mission is that I would keep radioing for other guys to join up until I got three failures in a row, and then leave.

Now it freezes on loading half the time, the other half it waits for me to do anything else first. Oh well, maybe I will do mostly the same thing but suicide bomber the Autocrat/Alcholic/Pack A Day guys or something.

As for how long, before I started that nonsen, I had it basically self sustaining. The income from the outposts kept everyone's needs met, and the random scavengers never seemed to bother those. I was making a profit actually, since resources were being scrounged up without effecting any of the local resources that I had left untouched. It seems you can exploit the game and trick it into regenerating the contents of a not fully searched house if you do it right, so I guess you probably could have an indefinite game going if you really wanted to. I pretty much did until I took it too far.

Edit: Also, we just got rid of our last NT machine a year or two ago, but the DMV supposedly has some ancient machine that uses a crazy ratchetting breaker system to connect power to.

Atmus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Surprise it didn't get mentioend, but the Steam version is going to be showing up soon as a early access release. At first it will only have 360 controller support, but it will add mouse + keyboard controls as it gets updated more. They already said the PC release will have higher resolution and better framerate. No mod tools, but they happily support anything like Gibbed or Idolninja's reverse engineering of the codes to make mods to improve the game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Countdown to the lightsaber-and-blade-paddle mods. ;)

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

coyo7e posted:

Countdown to the lightsaber-and-blade-paddle mods. ;)

Welp, I played the poo poo out of this on 360 but damned if I'm not going to pick up the PC version. I really hope the pop-in stuff is improved as well as the framerate. I just need some topless Big'Un mods and I'm good.

The news regarding the 360 controller just prompted me to buy a new one from Newegg. I have one but the USB connector is weird and the L3/R3 buttons don't work. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HONK AND USE MY HEADLIGHTS???

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The first in a series of articles about Sandbox Mode is up:
http://undeadlabs.com/2013/07/news/enter-sandbox/

Useing the RV isn't free. It's busted and out of gas when you find out, so you have to spend time and resources getting it into working condition. You probably won't be able to take your entire enclave, so you're going to have cherry pick who's coming with and then manually run them to the RV, alone or in pairs. Also, the activity involving the RV will rile the zombies up.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny Retro posted:

The first in a series of articles about Sandbox Mode is up:
http://undeadlabs.com/2013/07/news/enter-sandbox/

Useing the RV isn't free. It's busted and out of gas when you find out, so you have to spend time and resources getting it into working condition. You probably won't be able to take your entire enclave, so you're going to have cherry pick who's coming with and then manually run them to the RV, alone or in pairs. Also, the activity involving the RV will rile the zombies up.

I LOVE THIS IDEA. I like the fact that the map is rerolled with more danger, and you have to make sacrifices before you ship out. Also an epic battle just to load up the RV and make it out of the town sounds like a great climax to each time you reroll the map.

Can't wait for the PC version so I can really sink some hours into this. Currently I am battling my wife over TV viewing rights, and I don't think I could get away with 100+ hours on the Xbox when she wants to watch some old TMC movie.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
Is there an ETA for the survival DLC?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ratbones posted:

Is there an ETA for the survival DLC?

No, not yet unfortunately. While I'm on the subject though, it's also going to add around 15-20 new firearms and a "bunch of new melee weapons".

The Australia release for the game is officially July 26, so yay for that.

And finally TU3 patch notes are up, there's some very nice things in it.
http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?28541-Title-Update-3-Patch-Notes

Undead Jeff posted:

You can now ask a community NPC to follow you and watch your back.
    Outposts are now numbered on the map.
    NPCs who have been told to leave your community no longer remain in your Journal and take up bed space.
    Added Journal log entries for "Memento" mission.
    Added Journal log entry for establishing an Outpost.
    You can now train members of another Enclave in your Dojo immediately upon construction of the Dojo.
    Outpost bonuses to Stockpiles are now retained when the game is restarted.
    Changed AI to ensure zombies are present when you get a training mission or a morale mission.
    You can no longer move to a Home site that supports fewer Outposts than you currently control.
    Fixed an issue where Influence attrition wasn't scaling properly, which led to some Influence exploits.
    Fixed Snyder Warehouse not repairing vehicles.
    Fixed community NPCs sometimes blocking the door to Snyder Warehouse.
    You are now reminded every 15 minutes, starting at 30 minutes, that your progress is not being saved while in a mission.
    Fixed bug that allowed save spinner to sometimes display during missions.
    Removed references to generators in Fuel description.
    Jacob can no longer be selected for a "Mercy Shot" mission before he gives you the “Home Away from Home” mission.
    Fixed terrain issue that caused parked vehicles to catch on fire when restarting the game.
    Fixed getting “Stockpile maximum exceeded” Journal log entry immediately after leaving Mount Tanner.
    Vehicles are no longer teleported to Home parking spaces at 6:00 AM.
    Fixed issues that allowed community to exceed the population cap.
    Additional polish to "The Law" mission.
    Minor improvements to shadows.
    Fixed missing subtitles.
    Fixed floating bushes and grass.
    Fixed typos.
    Fixed issues in non-English translations.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
All bullshit aside, that looks like a drat good patch covering a ton of random glitches. Without coop a NPC follower has pretty much been the most requested update.

Looking forward to immediately killing off Marcus and Maya then hopping on the bus a time or 6.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah that sounds pretty nice. I hope that the "polish to 'The Law' missions" includes multiple ways t play through the scenario if you're ultra-close to the courthouse when you get the call - I'm pretty sure that you can't currently save them and it won't even start the mission script until you're out of LOS of the building.

I hope they just move on to the next game instead of burning all their resources patching this one until it's Dead Rising X however, I really appreciate thei fact that they are bothering to fix all the broken stuff.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
No fix for other Enclaves never having poo poo to trade? :(

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dirty Karma posted:

All bullshit aside, that looks like a drat good patch covering a ton of random glitches. Without coop a NPC follower has pretty much been the most requested update.

Looking forward to immediately killing off Marcus and Maya then hopping on the bus a time or 6.

I'm particularly happy that they're finally numbering the outposts. No more roulette when you're trying to shore up your defenses.

Atmus posted:

No fix for other Enclaves never having poo poo to trade? :(

Doesn't seem like it. It's always possible it's an undocumented fix, but I kind of doubt it. :(

One of the Devs did a mini ask/tell on what they may do with Sandbox mode (None of this stuff is finalized):
http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?28453-Enter-Sandbox-%287-18-2013%29&p=237929&viewfull=1#post237929

Undead Geoffrey posted:

Will there be new survivors and enclaves available in the "next map"?
Yes, new survivors are among the resources that can be reset — though as with everything, they'll be a dwindling finite resource, so try to keep them alive!

The RV should appear in a random position in the "next map"!
I agree! We're working on the feasibility of this feature as we speak.

Does the RV survive into the "next map" or is it destroyed by zombies?
Our thinking is that one of the reasons you've stopped in the next valley is the fact that your old RV is kaput. Irrepairably so. If you want to keep moving, you've got to find a new one.

Why are we leaving people behind?
Sandbox is going to be about more than just indefinite survival (though that's at the heart of it). There are competitive and progression elements that we'll be getting into in a later article that will work much better, balancewise, if each new map imposes starting resource limits ... including that most precious of resources, human beings

That said, we haven't finalized the exact number of people you can bring along, so it may or may not feel like a heavy restriction.

A map reset? What about new content?
We are definitely planning to include at least some new content with the Sandbox. It won't be a new map, but you should have some new apocalyptic toys to play with!

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

These guys are pumping out more free post launch updates and content than most $60 games. Their community interaction is stellar too. Definitely a developer I can get behind.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
So I just started playing this and I seem to be finding it a lot more difficult than many of you guys have. I lost one dude trying to rescue Lilly's brother, and then Maya trying to rescue some other dude, and if that wasn't bad enough, I then lost Marcus trying to go pick up the doctor to save Ed. How do you guys handle the missions where you have to save someone and there are just a lot of undead, and not much stamina to kill em all off with? I'm really liking the permadeath roguelike nature, but I feel like I'm off to a horrible start!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Bring snacks and eat them before you get into a big fight so your character doesn't run out of stamina so easy. Also, don't be afraid to flinng Molotovs around, they are all over the place.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Snacks are your most important inventory item.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
The .45 pistol with the scope is also pretty fantastic at ensuring survival. .45 rounds are super plentiful, it mag dumps quickly if in a jam, and packs enough punch to kill Jugs in a single clip.

Always silence everything. If you are out of silencers and unable to build more don't take a gun. You'll inevitably forget and end up attracting 3 hoards at the worst possible time.

Zombies have poo poo vision, sneak around and steath kill straglers before engaging the bigger groups. As long as you're quiet you can get pretty close to the front of them before you get spotted.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Dirty Karma posted:

The .45 pistol with the scope is also pretty fantastic at ensuring survival. .45 rounds are super plentiful, it mag dumps quickly if in a jam, and packs enough punch to kill Jugs in a single clip.

Always silence everything. If you are out of silencers and unable to build more don't take a gun. You'll inevitably forget and end up attracting 3 hoards at the worst possible time.

Zombies have poo poo vision, sneak around and steath kill straglers before engaging the bigger groups. As long as you're quiet you can get pretty close to the front of them before you get spotted.

All of this and cars. Cars are your best friend and your secret lover. When in doubt, jump in a car and run everything over until it stops twitching.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
^ Ha! I had points 4 and 5 listed before I decided they trivialize the game and erased them. They were...

*Car doors are your friend.
*Drop kick!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Really looking forward to indefinite sand-box mode. I hope shotgun ammo because something you can actually find with some sort of reliability, though. I like shotguns, but they're not trivial to skill up like many of the other weapons.

Actually, I remember using firebombs and the like can skill up shooting--does that skill up specializations too if you're holding the weapon when you thrown the bomb?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ratbones posted:

So I just started playing this and I seem to be finding it a lot more difficult than many of you guys have. I lost one dude trying to rescue Lilly's brother, and then Maya trying to rescue some other dude, and if that wasn't bad enough, I then lost Marcus trying to go pick up the doctor to save Ed. How do you guys handle the missions where you have to save someone and there are just a lot of undead, and not much stamina to kill em all off with? I'm really liking the permadeath roguelike nature, but I feel like I'm off to a horrible start!
The difficulty your having is fine, savor it - you will quickly get good enough that it won't be very hard very often. If you're having a really rough time, there's a combat guide in the OP which is (mostly) correct, and it will likely have a few tips about what moves you can do and when to use them, which will help a bunch.

The easiest way to save someone (and not upset them by running them over with a car or throwing a molotov onto them) is to run up while they're being dogpiled on, and hit LB + Y to do quick finishers on the crouching zombies who're tearing at the downed survivor. Wading in and swinging wildly will quickly drain your stamina and catch the attention of all the zombies.

Korlac posted:

All of this and cars. Cars are your best friend and your secret lover. When in doubt, jump in a car and run everything over until it stops twitching.
Fair warning, this makes the game stupidly easy and you'll quickly get bored and come back to the thread telling everyone how the game is for babies. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 23, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

At least once you get a mechanic who can reliably repair your vehicles, provided he isn't off in the corner of some office building peeing himself waiting for you to save him.

It's amazing how quickly you can total a vehicle if you drive badly enough.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I mostly only total cars by flipping them. Otherwise it's all door slamming, all the time.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I did a thing where I played one of the new people as 'Overly thankful and too ambitious to prove herself'. I'd take her unskilled self out and do the survey missions on foot (albeit from a quite well outpost defended Trucker Warehouse). I'd also use her to grab up some random scavenge stuff nearby as I was trying to max out all the storage in the warehouse.

It was really easy at first, to the point where I got cocky. So I started sprinting everywhere to boost up her cardio. Imagine my surprise at finding a Feral literally across the street from home base. I was already at zero stamina and had a rucksack to boot. I still managed to win the fight by clubbing it to death, but was seriously wounded. I hadn't called Doc in awhile though, but he gives really good advice on the phone.

That was the first time combat has actually been intense for me, outside of doing the Wilkerson Defense the complete wrong way the first time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh yeah, first time I did the Wilkerson defense, I didn't even have a gun and my 2x4 broke real drat quick. That mission took two in game days as I patched windows and waited for the Wilkersons to finally shoot the Juggernauts themselves.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Atmus posted:

I did a thing where I played one of the new people as 'Overly thankful and too ambitious to prove herself'. I'd take her unskilled self out and do the survey missions on foot (albeit from a quite well outpost defended Trucker Warehouse). I'd also use her to grab up some random scavenge stuff nearby as I was trying to max out all the storage in the warehouse.

It was really easy at first, to the point where I got cocky. So I started sprinting everywhere to boost up her cardio. Imagine my surprise at finding a Feral literally across the street from home base. I was already at zero stamina and had a rucksack to boot. I still managed to win the fight by clubbing it to death, but was seriously wounded. I hadn't called Doc in awhile though, but he gives really good advice on the phone.

That was the first time combat has actually been intense for me, outside of doing the Wilkerson Defense the complete wrong way the first time.
I went on a Bug Un hunt in that orchard near the Savini house, and to my :saddowns: there were two bigguns wandering around the orchard, and two or three hordes off in the distance. "Welp, I have a couple frags, I'll just hurry!" I think to myself, and run in at the bigguns.

I miss with one grenade, the other does negligible damage, and then the hordes sprint after me. I'm pounding snacks and whipping my shovel around as fast as I can to keep the zeds off of the survivor and me, and one of the bigguns grabs him by the head. I start bashing on him and manage to break his hold just in time to get dragged down by a zombie and have to fight it off. I get up and start unloading my 9mm into the biggun :downs: and drop one just as the second one grabs the survivor. Then I hear a panther shriek and get hit from behind by a feral.

I panicked and tried to sit up from where I'd been half-reclining on the couch, my feet fell on my dog who jumped up yelping and ran across the room, which startled me even more and knocked me off the couch, and as I looked up again, the survivor's head pops like a balloon. My roommate laughing the entire time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Can I ask some dumb questions here? I tried perusing the OP and a few pages but it was a lot...

1. How bad is this game about playing itself while you're not playing? Is there a way to turn that off? I only get to play games sporadically and it would suck if I couldn't actually play SOD just because everytime I turn it on I have to start over or deal with a hosed base.

2. I hosed up grabbing that first survivor/scavenger guy when you start getting into the town next to the ascension church and I keep getting pop ups saying "Note: You Suck! - Unfriendly attitude" that seems to be coming from him...but when I visit him in his house he's just stumbling around or sitting on the floor and won't talk to me. I can't figure out what I can do for him. Thoughts?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Can I ask some dumb questions here? I tried perusing the OP and a few pages but it was a lot...

1. How bad is this game about playing itself while you're not playing? Is there a way to turn that off? I only get to play games sporadically and it would suck if I couldn't actually play SOD just because everytime I turn it on I have to start over or deal with a hosed base.

I was playing without an internet connection until yesterday, so my console was resetting the date everytime I turned it on. This prevented anything from happening while I wasn't playing. The upside is that I would never lose anyone while I wasn't playing, but the downside is that no one would ever heal or rest while I had the system off.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

2. I hosed up grabbing that first survivor/scavenger guy when you start getting into the town next to the ascension church and I keep getting pop ups saying "Note: You Suck! - Unfriendly attitude" that seems to be coming from him...but when I visit him in his house he's just stumbling around or sitting on the floor and won't talk to me. I can't figure out what I can do for him. Thoughts?

I only play sporadically. It's not a problem. It simulates the same amount of stuff if you wait a day between playing as it does if you wait a few weeks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Day Man posted:

I only play sporadically. It's not a problem. It simulates the same amount of stuff if you wait a day between playing as it does if you wait a few weeks.

Nice, that's actually a great idea on the devs part. Thanks guys.

I'm apperantly way behind the times but I bought this game on a lark and now that I'm reading about it, it sounds deep as gently caress. I'm really tempted to tell a bunch of my survivors to gently caress off and just start sandboxing it but I figure the main missions will teach me a few things and then I'll either restart or just cause some sort of catastrophe.

I'm actually kind of shocked at all of the good ideas shoved into this game and I feel like I haven't seen half of them. Even just the act of "searching" places taking time and not being "push button, see stuff" feels correct. The continuity of everything like vehicles and items staying where they're left is amazing on it's own. I really hope games like this and X-Com start trending the ideas of well balanced difficulty, permanance and systems that actually have careful thought put into them.

I imagine there will be some x-com style frustration in the future but I can't imagine anything right now that would put me off of the game. Very high on this one.

Another question: How does the game react to/handle things like homebase changes or main people peacing out? Are there easy ways to split your group? And do people left behind become an enclave?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 24, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Another question: How does the game react to/handle things like homebase changes or main people peacing out? Are there easy ways to split your group? And do people left behind become an enclave?
You can't leave them behind. They all come with you I think - there's not a cap on safehouses to my knowledge, outside of the sleeping problems etc. If one of the "main characters" dies you get a short scene referencing it, and then you won't get their character-specific dialogue in some scenes - such as Maya with the soldier missions.

And you can raise trust quickly by doing a LOT of scavenger missions when you check the survivor list and see that the one you want to be friends with is not "away from home" "on a mission" or "missing" status, just call in a scavenger and if the right person shows up, tlak to them and lead them home for easy trust boosts very quickly. You can also "dupe" some limited resources by calling in a scavenger and then looting the rucksacks before they show up, the one they "loot" will magically appear when they go through the motions.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 24, 2013

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
Well, I relocated to the farm house in the center of the map and have gone out on a bunch of scavenging runs to get the place fixed up a bit. Things are going much better now! Thanks for all the tips on combat and survival guys. I do have a question about what to build at my base though.

I built a medical bay, a workshop, and a garden, but now I have no other available spaces... Is there anything I should consider removing? Also, I only have ten survivors, and 16 available beds. I suppose I should try to absorb some more enclaves.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I built a garden too, but food is a complete non-issue in the game. The dojo would be a better use of space.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Game's really great now that it's finally out here, but man, it is loving terrible at teaching you things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So I know theres no official word yet on sandbox mode but whats the predictions of the thread? Are we talking a few weeks or a few months? I really really want to play this game without having to worry about doing the main story missions again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

So I know theres no official word yet on sandbox mode but whats the predictions of the thread? Are we talking a few weeks or a few months? I really really want to play this game without having to worry about doing the main story missions again.
Then don't do them? Aside from the military missions you can just leave the other ones on hold indefinitely. The Lt Tan ones seem to be the most progression-gated and the special zombies seem to largely spawn in based on how long you've been playing the saved game overall, rather than mission progression-based.

You could just do random missions and scavenge indefinitely and just hear from Lily or Jacob every hour or two IRL while you do so.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Ratbones posted:

I built a medical bay, a workshop, and a garden, but now I have no other available spaces... Is there anything I should consider removing? Also, I only have ten survivors, and 16 available beds. I suppose I should try to absorb some more enclaves.

Medical bay, Workshop and Watchtower are the only must haves for me, but a Kitchen and Dining area are nice too. For sandbox mode a Garden might end up paying for itself but food isn't really a concern in the main game. Lots of construction materials for repairs and making those sweet sweet suppressors is my favourite.

I seem to be the only person that really likes time passing when you aren't playing. I've had a game going for a good while now, killing off the story characters and anyone that isn't interesting, and it's nice to pick it up and be like "ok, what does my little crew need this time?". The gameplay's fun and I'm attached to my weird little community but without needing to replenish resources constantly it would feel liked I'd 'won' and I wouldn't keep coming back to the game. Looking forward to the sandbox mode, even if according to the official forums they're gonna be charging for it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Wow, Maya's a real motivator. Jacob was on death's doorstep with that sprained ankle of his, so I walked over to him, started chatting, and after a minute's though, decided to tell him not to give up hope. Opened the map to check my missions as soon as the conversation finished and it told me that Jacob had recovered.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
The Outpost Q&A has been posted. Some interesting things in there that I was totally oblivious to...

After reading some of the answers, with a small enough population, in a large enough base, and proper outpost distribution/resource gathering, I think it might be possible to create a self-sustaining community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

El Seven posted:

The Outpost Q&A has been posted. Some interesting things in there that I was totally oblivious to...

After reading some of the answers, with a small enough population, in a large enough base, and proper outpost distribution/resource gathering, I think it might be possible to create a self-sustaining community.

Unless I'm reading this wrong outposts never stop producing AND setting up an outpost in a completely cleared building produces ammo? That would be... helpful.

• Locked thread