Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

The OP mentions a couple of times the difference between 128GB and 120GB but doesn't seem to expand on it. Is there a difference and if so is one favoured? Why?
This is covered in the OP, for Sandforce drives those with power-of-two sizes (128GB/256GB) have error correction disabled and are thus less reliable. This does not apply for non-Sandforce drives. MZMPC128HBFU is the model number for the 128GB Samsung PM830 drive. You should probably just buy a Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Deluxe drive unless you have a very good reason to get something else. Install Windows and all programs to the SSD, only install large games to the HDD. Another option you may want to consider if you feel space constrained is a Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive, they're more similar to the performance of desktop HDDs but for the price and capacity that can be a good balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Thank you for the comprehensive answers :)

Looking around, the Atlas seems to be rarer than hen's teeth in the UK. There are a lot of OEM Intel 525s on eBay, but at about £130 for a 120GB drive it's about $1.63/GB!

There are a few of these guys available from Kingston: http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/s#sms200s3, does anyone have any experience with them? The data sheet http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/sms200s3_en.pdf looks alright to me but I'm no expert in these matters :)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Kingston (like ADATA) is only a small step above OCZ, they don't have the same failure rates but I don't think they're as trustworthy as a brand that buys validated memory. You might want to consider holding off until you can afford a decent 240/256GB model, especially if you're concerned about 120GB being enough space for all of your applications.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Fair enough, that's the conclusion I was coming to myself to be honest. Thanks again for the advice.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Hello wise SSD Goons. I could use some advice.

I bought a SanDisk Extreme 240GB when Newegg had them on sale a couple of months ago, and it has been nothing but grief. I would return it if NewEgg gave me the option, but the terms of the sale price forbid it. I'm ready to just throw the loving thing away and go back to my previous SSD: An Intel 330 120GB. The Intel was rock solid; I used it for a year and a half and never saw so much as a hiccup. I still have the Intel (which had Windows 7 on it, but now has Ubuntu), so I *could* go back, but I like the extra breathing room that 240GB gives me. That plus re-installing everything again would be a real chore.

The problem is, I cannot go more than an hour or two without my desktop locking up on me. Usually I can fix it with a soft reboot, but sometimes I have to shut down the power altogether. Sometimes the lock-up happens in as little as five minutes. It all depends. I typically have to reboot several times a day.

If I'm lucky, I notice the "freeze" coming in time, and if I don't touch the mouse, it might "recover" after about twenty seconds, which gives me time to properly shut down my apps. And I always have to shut down; if I try to keep going, it will inevitably have a hard lock-up about 30 seconds later. Sometimes the "freeze" is just that the mouse stops moving, sometimes I get a reported error from the video driver crashing and restarting itself. More often than not, it doesn't matter what I do; it locks up, and I have to reboot.

I should note here that I originally tried to use Macrium Reflect to mirror from the old Intel to the new SanDisk. I knew things were off to a bad start when I fired up the SanDisk for the first time, but rather than seeing my desktop, Windows 7 refused to see anything from the keyboard. So instead, I formatted the SanDisk and installed Windows 7 from scratch. That plus re-installing all my apps chewed up a day on its own. I'd really hate to repeat the process just to go back to my original Intel.

Also, that original problem with Windows 7 not seeing keystrokes? From time to time, that *still* happens after a reboot.

Here's my hardware:
  • My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68-V PRO, with the firmware upgraded to version 3402 (the latest).
  • In case it matters, my chip is a Core i5 2500K, with 16GB or DDR1600.
  • My video card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 560 TI, running the NVidia GeForce Experience software, version 1.5.0.0 (the latest).
  • For the SanDisk Extreme 240GB, I upgraded the firmware to R211 (the latest).
I've tried these changes so far:
  • Enabled AHCI is enabled in the BIOS.
  • Disabled the "superfetch" service.
  • Made sure that "disk defragmentation" is never scheduled.
None of that worked, so after a while I found some advice on other things to try:
  • http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120968
  • http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Extreme-SSD/Extreme-240GB-freezes/td-p/279626
The advice above included a change to the Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings\0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442\0b2d69d7-a2a1-449c-9680-f91c70521c60
I changed the value for this key from 1 to 2. The makes the "AHCI Link Power Management" option visible in Windows 7's "advanced" power settings dialog.

So, for the "AHCI Link Power Management" option, for all my power configurations, I changed the option from just "HIPM to "HIPM + DIPM". I tried that for a while, and was still getting the lock-ups, so after a few days I said gently caress it, and changed all my power settings to "active", which disables HIPM & DIPM altogether.

And with that, I'm out of ideas. Any recommendations before I just rip out the SanDisk and take a hammer to it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Have you considered that it may not be the SSD at all?

I only ask because that's an error profile common to current nVidia drivers. (It was supposed to be gone in the latest betas but it still shows up for some people. It's extra problems because it can take as long as six days to happen. And it's relatively more common on 560 Ti cards. Ask me how I know.)

Try rolling your GPU drivers back to ... I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the Windows Update version (311.06).

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Have you considered that it may not be the SSD at all?

I only ask because that's an error profile common to current nVidia drivers. (It was supposed to be gone in the latest betas but it still shows up for some people. It's extra problems because it can take as long as six days to happen. And it's relatively more common on 560 Ti cards. Ask me how I know.)

Try rolling your GPU drivers back to ... I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the Windows Update version (311.06).

Thanks! I'll try that out. I was implicating the SanDisk since that was the only piece of hardware that changed, but upon reflection, the UI for the NVidia driver completely changed after that as well, so that's new too. Just as well, since I don't care about anything their annoying "Experience" stuff does anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
What anti-virus are you using, out of curiosity?

I had a problem just like this recently, after a day I threw my hands up and bought a new SSD, cloned my drive, it still had the problem. (Old was a totally reliable Intel 320 120GB, new 256GB Samsung 830).

So I trashed my anti-virus because it seemed to be crashing a lot in the logs, and since then, I haven't had a problem. Who knows, maybe it'll come back, maybe that was pure coincidence.

I installed MSE which seems to be working OK.

But yeah, display driver sounds like a good culprit also.

For all we know it could have been a recent Windows update the combination of our hardware that caused a problem. I find it very odd that I had a similar problem recently. I have the same board and CPU, but I think I'm doing bullshit pattern searching that's not of significance at this point.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 15, 2013

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

What anti-virus are you using, out of curiosity?

Right now I'm running MSSE, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. This is possibly overkill. I haven't evaluated my anti-virus setup for some time, so I'm overdue for that.

It's probably too early to tell, but rolling back to 311.06 has resulted in no lockups so far, which is rare for a few hours. So, the video driver might have done the trick. And with that being said, this isn't the Haus so I'll shut up and stay on topic about SSDs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If the system does start locking up again and you're sure it's the SSD's fault, contact SanDisk and get an RMA. Warranties exist to cover this stuff.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

A friend is looking for a ~64gb SSD to put a WinXP Pro installation (yeah I know) and a little bit of data on. The board is apparently only Sata 2.

He sent me links to this SanDisk (64GB, ~50€) and this Kingston (60GB, ~60€).

I've looked at the availablity of drives from the OP in that range and the only ones I could get are the SanDisk Extreme for ~70€ and the Intel 520 for ~90€ (basically out of the question). e:/ also Intel 330 for ~77€

Is one of the two SSDs ok or should I try to sell him on the SD Extreme (and an upgrade to Win7 I guess)?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Sereri posted:

A friend is looking for a ~64gb SSD to put a WinXP Pro installation (yeah I know) and a little bit of data on. The board is apparently only Sata 2.

Is one of the two SSDs ok or should I try to sell him on the SD Extreme (and an upgrade to Win7 I guess)?
Convince your friend to move up to 120GB, SSDs fall off a cliff for reliability, performance, and value below that point. Never consider the SanDisk drives without models, they are absolute garbage and are worse than an HDD. Since TRIM won't be working you definitely want to use a Sandforce-based drive and partition it to around 90GB or so, and do make sure that you create a partition on the drive using a program that respects partition alignment, not the Windows XP installer. Also make sure you update the firmware whatever SSD you get to the latest version on a compatible machine before sticking it in the Windows XP box.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

NadaTooma posted:

Right now I'm running MSSE, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. This is possibly overkill. I haven't evaluated my anti-virus setup for some time, so I'm overdue for that.

It's probably too early to tell, but rolling back to 311.06 has resulted in no lockups so far, which is rare for a few hours. So, the video driver might have done the trick. And with that being said, this isn't the Haus so I'll shut up and stay on topic about SSDs.

Have you tried to run benchmarks on your SSD?

I actually had to RMA a brand new intel 520 240GB when I first assembled my mini-ITX system. I would get random freezes in windows at much higher frequency then you are experiencing.

So I ran some benchmark on my SSD and I noticed that it would just "hang" at random times thus making the benchmarking unusually long. If you have something like HDtune just watch your drive as it goes through benchmark, it should at no point just stop running.

This took me a long time to track down, since I was so convinced that it must not be my SSD but rather it was something else on the system.

Goes to show you that even reputable brand can have issues (that said, Intel's RMA is excellent, and of the 4 intel SSDs that I have owned this is the first one that had any issue, so this really shouldn't count as a black mark for Intel).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lethial posted:

I actually had to RMA a brand new intel 520 240GB when I first assembled my mini-ITX system. I would get random freezes in windows at much higher frequency then you are experiencing.

I think this is possibly to do with having it hooked up to a SATAII port. Hook it up to a SATAIII 6GBps port, and it stops happening.

This happened to me in an old AMD system with SATAII, AND a brand new Haswell system. With it plugged in the 3Gbps (Intel!) port, it would stutter now and then for a significant amount of time. Switch it to 6GBps, boom, smooth. (It was a clean install of 7, SSD less than half full).

vv I should mention, this is with an Intel 520 60GB, has no firmware updates available (no, I didn't buy a 60GB SSD, it's in my work PC).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 15, 2013

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I think this is possibly to do with having it hooked up to a SATAII port. Hook it up to a SATAIII 6GBps port, and it stops happening.

This happened to me in an old AMD system with SATAII, AND a brand new Haswell system. With it plugged in the 3Gbps (Intel!) port, it would stutter now and then for a significant amount of time. Switch it to 6GBps, boom, smooth.

Yeah, that is what I thought too, but unfortunately after a lot of testing (installing windows on another drive using the same sata port and then connect up the ssd drive to test it; and testing the ssd individually in a external enclosure) to fully convince me that the unthinkable happened and my drive is bad (I was so convinced that it was my mobo, in particular the sata ports).

Though that is good to know, about the sataII ports, since a friend of mine was telling me that his Haswell system isn't loading up LoL as fast as he was expecting despite it being installed on a SSD.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I was hoping someone could tell me if there's any way to recover the data from a dead SSD.

A couple years ago my work upgraded our SSDs and we got to keep the old ones, which were the OCZ Agility 2. Yeah... So since the drive still worked, I popped it into my girlfriend's pc for very casual use. Knowing OCZs reputation from this very thread, I warned her to back up everything she didn't want to lose. Guess who didn't listen to me? The drive crapped out last week. I bought her a new drive for her computer, but there were some photos on the OCZ she really wants.

Connecting the dead drive to my computer, it's showing an orange light on the drive, and my BIOS doesn't even recognize it. Is there ANY way to recover the data, or am I SOL?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

caiman posted:

Connecting the dead drive to my computer, it's showing an orange light on the drive, and my BIOS doesn't even recognize it. Is there ANY way to recover the data, or am I SOL?
Leave the system sitting at the BIOS screen for 20 minutes and then exit discarding changes, that may allow the drive to identify and work. Otherwise no you are pretty much boned.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

lethial posted:

Have you tried to run benchmarks on your SSD?

Thanks, I'll try that. I'll also dig up the motherboard diagram and double-check that I have the SSD hooked into the best possible SATA port for it.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does Sandisk have a windows online tool to update firmware? I've created a boot USB with Toolkit a couple of times now & it doesn't work.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

dud root posted:

Does Sandisk have a windows online tool to update firmware? I've created a boot USB with Toolkit a couple of times now & it doesn't work.

Nope. Also I don't think I'll ever not :stare: at the idea of updating firmware from inside a running OS.

You may be stuck burning an actual CD for this. I know I was.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Nope. Also I don't think I'll ever not :stare: at the idea of updating firmware from inside a running OS.
What if it's not the primary OS drive? Temporarily unmounting the device doesn't sound especially insane, and technically the bootloader used for USB/CD updates is "a running OS" as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The former isn't a case you can rely on as a part manufacturer; as for the latter, you'll probably notice a few differences between a bare essentials bootstrap environment and one with full resource allocation, not necessarily predictable contention management, and all of the processes and data you care about.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How can I have all of my User folders like My Documents/Music/Pictures stored on my secondary drive but still accessible as if they were actually on my primary OS SSD? Will there be problems with applications still trying to install stuff on my /c drive even if things are supposedly rerouted to my secondary drive? For example, will iTunes poo poo itself trying to use the stuff in My Music on /c if the music is really on /d? Or a video game looking for save games in My Documents on /c and not finding it on /d?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 16, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

User document folders can have their location set in their properties, and the vast majority of applications (even drivers) will put things where they need to go. iTunes and your favorite game should be fine.

AppData and things like it in your user folder, and Program Files, can technically be moved with a Windows OOBE configuration script, but they really really shouldn't be.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
You should probably not do that though, as that will lead to your HDD becoming a bottleneck when applications write to your profile. A better solution is to leave your profile on the SSD and just not use your profile for things that are too large to fit. For example, if you have 30GB if photos, put them on D:\Pictures instead of your My Pictures folder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't mean to redirect my entire user profile with all of the app data, just My Documents/Music/Photos/Videos. How about if I leave My Documents alone for all the programs that use it and just redirect My Music/Videos/Pictures (IE: the stuff that won't really matter with an SSD)? I just want to be able to use /c/users/(my name) to be able to see all my stuff rather than going through a bunch of folders on /D.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 16, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Just make sure you disable drive spindown or you'll have a few second delay every time you access those folders or open Windows Explorer as the drive spins up.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't mean to redirect my entire user profile with all of the app data, just My Documents/Music/Photos/Videos. How about if I leave My Documents alone for all the programs that use it and just redirect My Music/Videos/Pictures (IE: the stuff that won't really matter with an SSD)? I just want to be able to use /c/users/(my name) to be able to see all my stuff rather than going through a bunch of folders on /D.

As already stated, just go into the properties for each of those folders and use the "Location" tab. It will even move the folders for you if there's stuff in there already.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

As already stated, just go into the properties for each of those folders and use the "Location" tab. It will even move the folders for you if there's stuff in there already.

But what about what Alereon is talking about?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spin down? That's in power options.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
What are your overall thoughts on the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB?
Other than the price.

Tuco22 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 17, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tuco22 posted:

What are your overall thoughts on the Samsung 840 Pro 512GB?
Other than the price.
It is one of the best SSDs on the market. Pretty much the only downside of those Samsung drives (aside from cost) is that they don't maintain their performance as well under heavy load, when filled, or when TRIM isn't operating properly. If you have an application that requires excellent performance consistency you should pick something else, but for normal PC desktop usage they are great drives.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea how long until PCIe SSDs hit the enthusiast market? I was hoping sooner rather than later thanks to Samsung's Ultrabook push but I can't dig up any info.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

Alereon posted:

It is one of the best SSDs on the market. Pretty much the only downside of those Samsung drives (aside from cost) is that they don't maintain their performance as well under heavy load, when filled, or when TRIM isn't operating properly. If you have an application that requires excellent performance consistency you should pick something else, but for normal PC desktop usage they are great drives.

Sounds good enough to me.
Thanks

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Micron made an announcement about the latest generation of IMFT NAND at a 16nm process. It looks like a straight die-shrink of 20nm NAND, i.e. 16 KB pages, 512 pages per block. Performance and P/E cycles should be "similar" to 20nm NAND, but if it follows the same trend as the 25nm to 20nm die shrink, both maximum and typical latencies will get a bit longer (the 25 to 20 jump was about 15%-25%, but luckily this was hidden by better controllers).

Micron is being hush-hush about the actual storage density for some reason, but it should be more dense, which means cheaper.

They're saying full production by the end of the year, which means drives about this time in 2014.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Factory Factory posted:

Micron is being hush-hush about the actual storage density for some reason, but it should be more dense, which means cheaper.
The lovely thing about NAND die shrinks has been that the endurance goes down at smaller sizes, so while the cost per GB is lower you have to buy a larger drive to avoid wearing it out too fast. And the ~20nm drives on the market now aren't pushing the price a whole lot lower than the 25nm ones. Somehow I doubt 16nm is going to push the market below 70c per GB.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Right now die shrinks seem to be mostly keeping pace with demand, meaning that prices are remaining stable. If we were still on 25nm NAND I expect we'd be looking at higher prices because supply would be outpaced by rising demand.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
The bit in the OP about the Crucial M4 being a bad drive, is that mostly due to the past firmware issues and it no longer being a good value? In other words, if I've got one and it's on one of the stable firmware versions, is there any reason to replace/upgrade it other than needing more space?

Also, if I'm still running the 000F firmware, should I go ahead and upgrade to the latest?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
If you have a Crucial M4 and are not having problems, there's no need to replace it. We just don't want anyone buying Crucial drives today because there are no guaranteed, trouble-free firmware revisions and no expectation of having them in the future (including on new and future models), and the value proposition for the M4 is pretty poor compared to current-gen drives. I would recommend trying the latest firmware for the performance, compatibility, and stability improvements, but keep a copy of your current firmware so you can roll back if you experience issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Speaking of M4s, if I'm on 000F and I'm having no problems, should I bother upgrading? If so, which version should I upgrade to?

• Locked thread