Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I don't know if it's been discussed in this thread or not but I just finished Top of the Lake. It's a miniseries mystery that takes place in New Zealand and is excellent. It's about a small town where a 12 year old girl ends up pregnant. The acting is superb and I was honestly shocked by many of the twists it throws at you. It could've been called "Every bad thing that can happen to a woman".
I actually burned through the whole thing in two sittings because it was so engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Mescal posted:

I really liked it but I can't articulate why. The script, photography direction, and acting weren't perfect--the gangsters' acting was awful, in fact--but it added up to a really fun and interesting movie. I'm convinced that editing is the #1 make-or-break factor for a movie's quality. After the first 15 minutes the editing (and therefore the pacing) is great.

I agree. End of Watch is worth checking out. It switches in and out of the "found footage" trope in a way that doesn't feel obnoxious and artificial, which was refreshing. Also, the friendship between the two main characters is really authentic and kinda heartwarming. It's not a perfect movie, but it does a great job of making you care about it's characters, and gives you the sense that you're riding shotgun in the squad car with some buddies you've known for years.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

david_a posted:

GHOST IN THE MACHINE argh. Also that episode way later where they go into a video game is so 90s it hurts. It even has a character that is supposed to be Thresh.

The first season has some pretty cool episodes. I'm about half-way through S2 and I find it to be a bit more of a slog; I don't know if I'm just in rough patch or what. I fully intend to abandon the series after they switch filming from Vancouver to LA.

Uh, if you stop before Season 3 you're robbing yourself of some of the best episodes in the series, so you should probably not follow this plan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Tooms episodes and "Home" always freaked/grossed me the hell out, respectively. Great X-Files episodes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FLEXBONER posted:

Uh, if you stop before Season 3 you're robbing yourself of some of the best episodes in the series, so you should probably not follow this plan.

Seriously. How can you willingly miss out on Bryan Cranston as a crazy racist with an aggressive case of explodingheaditis?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Personperson14 posted:

Lost Skeleton is kinda cool, but as a person who loves cheesy 50s sci fi movies I'd rather watch one then a parody of it.

"So, what do you do?"

"I can do anything. I have no limitations."

Fantastic line. That said it does wear out its welcome pretty quick.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Seriously. How can you willingly miss out on Bryan Cranston as a crazy racist with an aggressive case of explodingheaditis?

Basically if you like Breaking Bad that's like required viewing because its pretty much the unofficial pilot.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was the entire reason he got the lead in Breaking Bad.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The X-Files is great because you can watch the first seven seasons, among the best television seasons ever broadcast, in a few weeks, then you can slowly over the course of the rest of your life enjoy the middling quality of seasons 8 and 9. If you take big enough breaks between episodes, you'll never run out of X-Files to watch!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
X-Files 1x13 ("Beyond the Sea") might be my favorite TV episode of all time. Brad Dourif :magical:

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The X-Files was and is great. I watched it every week and my dad and I watched the "Home" episode together. My dad is a minister and was so shocked by the content that he spoke at length about it in one of his sermons. No mention of "Jose Chung's From Outer Space"?

fake edit: Holy crap those episodes are from seasons 3 and 4?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
All of the Vince Gilligan episodes are great. Jose Chung's is one-of-a-kind - only Twin Peaks comes close to that combination of charming and aggressively strange. There are a bunch of truly fantastic episodes, and a bunch more that are a lot of fun.

For someone who hasn't seen the show before, I would recommend googling for fan-favorite episodes. Don't worry about the mythology of the show - it's ultimately unsatisfying, and a kind of a dead end. Skip around and enjoy the individual episodes.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

wafflesnsegways posted:

All of the Vince Gilligan episodes are great. Jose Chung's is one-of-a-kind - only Twin Peaks comes close to that combination of charming and aggressively strange. There are a bunch of truly fantastic episodes, and a bunch more that are a lot of fun.

For someone who hasn't seen the show before, I would recommend googling for fan-favorite episodes. Don't worry about the mythology of the show - it's ultimately unsatisfying, and a kind of a dead end. Skip around and enjoy the individual episodes.

I would recommend this except for Season 1. It's really the only one where the meta-plot is completely solid, and the season finale is awesome and kind of sets the tone for the rest of the series.

Also, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" is the best episode and I don't care what anyone says. It's funny, bizarre, and suspenseful (especially the final scene in the hotel kitchen), and it really makes you feel for the characters. Peter Boyle's performance is fantastic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There is a disturbing lack of talk about Bad Blood in this discussion. See Luke Wilson be both sweet and charming, and then a buck-toothed hick! See how Mulder and Scully see each other!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just watch All The X-Files. Even its worst episodes are still "pretty good". That said, I never watched the last season or two or whenever Mulder left because No Mulder No X-Files goddamn it.

Just pretend the first movie was the series finale.

e: "Home" is legit one of the best hours of television ever made and more scary than 99% of all horror movies. Watch that poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm terrible because I don't like watching 4:3 shows on my tv now. Strangely I don't mind if I have it windowed on a PC though.

It's not even a HD quality thing I just don't like the vertical bars (I don't mind the horizontal ones for letterboxing though, double weird).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

scary ghost dog posted:

The X-Files is great because you can watch the first seven seasons, among the best television seasons ever broadcast, in a few weeks, then you can slowly over the course of the rest of your life enjoy the middling quality of seasons 8 and 9. If you take big enough breaks between episodes, you'll never run out of X-Files to watch!
I don't know how people do this. It's taken me months to get to like S2E11. I only watch two one-hour (well, 45 minute) shows at a time because otherwise it would take me years to get through them all.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
You mean you don't work, game and watch TV at the same time??

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

foodfight posted:

It's the best way to enjoy everything at once! It totally doesn't completely dilute the experience of doing any/all of those three things!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

priznat posted:

I'm terrible because I don't like watching 4:3 shows on my tv now. Strangely I don't mind if I have it windowed on a PC though.

It's not even a HD quality thing I just don't like the vertical bars (I don't mind the horizontal ones for letterboxing though, double weird).

It switches to widescreen when they move the production to LA in season 6 :kiddo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

foodfight posted:

I watch Netflix at work a lot, but to call what I do "work" is offensive to people who have jobs.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

precision posted:

e: "Home" is legit one of the best hours of television ever made and more scary than 99% of all horror movies. Watch that poo poo.

Yes! That episode scared the poo poo out of me and i was 16 at the time and did not scare easily.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

There is a disturbing lack of talk about Bad Blood in this discussion. See Luke Wilson be both sweet and charming, and then a buck-toothed hick! See how Mulder and Scully see each other!

That episode is amazing but there should be a disclaimer that it shouldn't be one of the first episodes you watch because understanding Mulder and Scully and their relationship makes the episode about a hundred times better.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Might be a strange question for this thread, but is there a way to block certain shows/movies on Netflix? google wasn't much help. My 2 year old keeps watching Power Rangers and not only am I afraid that the below WWE-level acting is rotting his brain, but he also is doing power ranger type kicks and punches on me and my wife.

And yes I know I could just supervise what he watches better, but sometimes it's nice to park him with the tablet for 20 minutes for my sanity.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
poo poo, some of the best episodes of the X files are some of the best tv show episodes of all time. X-cops was hilarious to me and I can't believe it that it came from a horror show.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FLEXBONER posted:

Also, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" is the best episode and I don't care what anyone says. It's funny, bizarre, and suspenseful (especially the final scene in the hotel kitchen), and it really makes you feel for the characters. Peter Boyle's performance is fantastic.

This is a wise poster, everyone watch this episode over and over again, some of the best TV ever and in my opinion easily the best guest role on X-Files by a country mile.

If anyone is on the fence about watching the show, I suggest watching a handful of the best "one off" or Monster of the Week episodes. As I don't care for the overwrought bigger story arc, my favorite episodes are the one-offs anyway.

I don't think watching these in any way harms the rest of the show for future viewing, and if you don't like something like Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung, Bad Blood, Small Potatoes etc. then the rest of the show will be wasted on you. I will agree that watching certain episodes like Bad Blood or Small Potatoes would be enhanced by having a better feel for the Mulder/Scully relationship, but they can be enjoyed "cold" just fine.

We go through this periodically but I'll list some "off the top of my head" really good to great episodes that can be checked out to determine if you want to slog through the rest of the series:

Funny/lighthearted:

-Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (although there are a lot of dark and melancholy elements too making this episode so great)
-Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"
-Small Potatoes
-Bad Blood
-Humbug
-Terms of Endearment (kind of has mixed elements)

Scary:
-The two episodes related to Eugene Tooms (may not remember his name correctly): Squeeze and Tooms
-Home
-Irresistible
-"Die Hand Die Verletzt" (Season 2, Episode 14)
-The Host
-2shy
-F. emasculata
-Paper Hearts

Any way, if you watch a sampling of these and don't like almost all of them, a LOT, then yeah, don't bother with the rest of the show.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

coronaball posted:

Might be a strange question for this thread, but is there a way to block certain shows/movies on Netflix? google wasn't much help. My 2 year old keeps watching Power Rangers and not only am I afraid that the below WWE-level acting is rotting his brain, but he also is doing power ranger type kicks and punches on me and my wife.

And yes I know I could just supervise what he watches better, but sometimes it's nice to park him with the tablet for 20 minutes for my sanity.

Power rangers are awesome, screw you mr lovely dad.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

coronaball posted:

Seriously, dude? Power Rangers is one of the least harmful things he could be watching on there.

And no, there's no way to do that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zwabu posted:

-Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (although there are a lot of dark and melancholy elements too making this episode so great)
-Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"
-Small Potatoes
-Bad Blood
-Humbug
-Terms of Endearment (kind of has mixed elements)

Scary:
-The two episodes related to Eugene Tooms (may not remember his name correctly): Squeeze and Tooms
-Home
-Irresistible
-The Host
-2shy
-F. emasculata
-Paper Hearts

This is A Good List. I'd add some more but I can't remember most episode titles.

You forgot X-Cops though, which is like, the greatest thing the show ever did.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Also, Postmodern Prometheus, the wonderful sort-of homage to the Frankenstein movies.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Zwabu posted:

Funny/lighthearted:

There's also the great body swap episode Dreamland. The episode right after, Monday, has an amusing call back to it, but is overally kind of mediocre.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
When I was a kid my parents wouldn't let me watch power rangers and I turned out just fine, and nothing about missing that show has made me feel deprived. Relax everyone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GonSmithe posted:

Seriously, dude? Power Rangers is one of the least harmful things he could be watching on there.

And no, there's no way to do that.
Seriously. There are far, far worse things out there than Power Rangers, and there are millions of kids who watched it at that age and turned out fine. Basically you can do what any good parent should do - monitor both what and how much he's watching.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zwabu posted:

Scary:
-Home
-Irresistible
-The Host
-2shy
-F. emasculata
-Paper Hearts

Add Pusher and Ice, and now this list is perfect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Great, now I've got 200 hours of X-Files in my queue.

More good ones: Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, even if you haven't followed the mythology, is excellent.

And Our Town is another good scary one.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

Also, Postmodern Prometheus, the wonderful sort-of homage to the Frankenstein movies.

I loved this episode when I was a kid but watching it again as an adult the whole "rape is okay if the victims end up being okay with it" part kinda unnerved me.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Tooms is even creepier when you know he was played by this guy:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hey man, it's love and therefore beautiful.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Do Not Threaten To Not Show Children The Exact lovely Show Goons Watched As Children And So Have Misplaced Nostalgia For

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

On the other hand, I watched the finale of Justice League Unlimited with my daughter, and the next day she punched me through a building while screaming some nonsense about "a world made of cardboard". You gotta be careful, man.

• Locked thread