Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the deal with running cat6 ethernet through my walls? I don't see this rated as CL2 or anything. I generally thought it was safe?

This brand in particular http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023213&p_id=9793&seq=1&format=2#description

quote:

High quality Category 6 (CAT6) patch cables are the solution to your internetworking needs. With a blazing speed of up to 550MHz you can connect to your LAN/WAN segments and networking gear at maximum speed. Also, with its superior connector you get a cable that is built for speed and endurance. Monoprice Cat5e and Cat6 cables are made of 24 AWG pure bare copper wire, as opposed to copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire, and are therefore fully compliant with UL Code 444 and National Electrical Code TIA-568-C.2 fire and safety standards, which require pure bare copper wire in Cat5e and Cat6 communications cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

FogHelmut posted:

What's the deal with running cat6 ethernet through my walls? I don't see this rated as CL2 or anything. I generally thought it was safe?

This brand in particular http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023213&p_id=9793&seq=1&format=2#description

If you end up running anything in your attic pretty sure to code you should be running plenum cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_cable)

monoprice sells it in 1000' boxes - http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10234#1023403

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It has a rating of CMG.

quote:

— CMP (PLENUM):
Suitable for use in ducts, plenums, and other spaces used for environmental air and shall also be listed as having adequate fire-resistant and low smoke-producing characteristics. These cables are also
referenced in Canadian Standards as CSA FT6.
— CMR (RISER):
Suitable for use in a vertical run in a shaft or from floor to floor and shall also be listed as having
fire-resistant characteristics capable of preventing the carrying of fire from floor to floor.
— CMG (GENERAL PURPOSE):
Suitable for general-purpose communications use, with the exception of risers and plenums, and shall
also be listed as being resistant to the spread of fire. These cables are also referenced in Canadian
Standards as CSA FT4.
— CM (GENERAL PURPOSE):
Same as CMG (see above)
— CMX (LIMITED USE):
Suitable for use in dwellings and for use in raceway and shall also be listed as being resistant to
flame spread.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I had a bunch of CMX cable because I had to do a run outside my house that I also used in my attic, was I not supposed to do that? Specifically this cable.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Nebulis01 posted:

If you end up running anything in your attic pretty sure to code you should be running plenum cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_cable)

monoprice sells it in 1000' boxes - http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10234#1023403

Most attics do not function as return or supply air spaces and riser is adequate in that case.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HiggsBoson81 posted:

I had a bunch of CMX cable because I had to do a run outside my house that I also used in my attic, was I not supposed to do that? Specifically this cable.

Notice "dwellings" in CMX. You can run ANY cable in a single-family dwelling as long as it's comms listed. The other ratings are for multifamily and commercial applications. From that table, all cables are good for the situation listed, plus all the ones below. You can use plenum-rated cable absolutely anywhere. CMG is good for what's listed, plus everything listed under CMX.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think I would be safe with at least riser rated. I don't know what a "dwelling" is. I have a first floor condo, the construction is probably more like a commercial building. There's about a 2ft space between floors that I'm going through.

edit - Found some reasonable plenum rated Cat6. But I cannot find anything higher rated than CL2 for RG6/cable tv cable. It's all 1000ft spools. I just need 50ft.

Can I just run the non-plenum through a conduit?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 18, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nebulis01 posted:

Only if your attic is being used as a plenum. I've yet to see a residential setup where this is the case.

You need to understand that plenum is run above commercial drop ceilings because that space is typically used as the return duct (plenum) for forced air heat and AC. It's got better smoke spread characteristics (lower) which is required so that in case of a fire it won't spread smoke through the HVAC system as much before a duct detector trips and shuts the system down.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Can I just run the non-plenum through a conduit?

If it's metallic, yes.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

grover posted:

Depends on what the actual brand is. If it's a Cooper combo switch it should have a break-off tab and is even easier; black on black, white to silver and red to copper, and no jumpers necessary. If it doesn't have a tab, yeah, you need to pigtail it. Would make more sense if they all had tabs; pretty just exactly what they're made for.

Thanks a lot - this worked great. I hope its OK that I used stranded wire. The job came out very clean and I wrapped the whole outlet in electrical tape.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I need to get a UPS working in another room, only problem is the room doesn't have the proper outlet. Is there anything wrong with putting a L5-30R outlet on a 20A circuit? Breaker is still a 20A breaker and the UPS wouldnt be drawing more than 20A. Is it breaking code by doing this?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

I need to get a UPS working in another room, only problem is the room doesn't have the proper outlet. Is there anything wrong with putting a L5-30R outlet on a 20A circuit? Breaker is still a 20A breaker and the UPS wouldnt be drawing more than 20A. Is it breaking code by doing this?

Yes because the next person that comes along doesn't know that that 30A outlet is being served by 20A wiring.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

dietcokefiend posted:

I had this exact problem a few years ago; we solved it by making up pigtail jumper cables for the UPS units. Don't change the wall receptacle; that's not permitted by code. The pigtail jumper cable probably violates the UL listing, but is at least a grey area and load on the UPS can be easily managed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm installing a light in my ceiling, and above my ceiling there is like a truss similar to this:

The drywall isn't directly screwed into that. There are metal strips running perpendicular to the truss which the drywall is attached.

The loving truss and metal strip cross at dead center in my ceiling. So I have to move the hole for the light a whole length, 4" or so, diagonally. This is probably inconsequential, but I'm anal about symmetry. Ugh.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

FogHelmut posted:

I'm installing a light in my ceiling, and above my ceiling there is like a truss similar to this:

The drywall isn't directly screwed into that. There are metal strips running perpendicular to the truss which the drywall is attached.

The loving truss and metal strip cross at dead center in my ceiling. So I have to move the hole for the light a whole length, 4" or so, diagonally. This is probably inconsequential, but I'm anal about symmetry. Ugh.
Is the wire for the light the only wire in the box? Does the style of light allow room inside the light fixture for wiring? If so, you may be able to get away with a pancake box no deeper than your drywall, and still put it right where you want to. Shim it up and secure it appropriate to the size/weight fixture you're planning to use.

grover fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 20, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

grover posted:

Is the wire for the light the only wire in the box? Does the style of light allow room inside the light fixture for wiring? If so, you may be able to get away with a pancake box no deeper than your drywall, and still put it right where you want to. Shim it up and secure it appropriate to the size/weight fixture you're planning to use.

I just moved it over a couple of inches so it would fit with the safe-t-brace. It's probably not noticeable. I may end up with a fan there when my fiance gets back and tells me the $7 light fixture I picked is ugly. I ran 14/3 just in case of this scenario.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Only if your attic is being used as a plenum. I've yet to see a residential setup where this is the case.

You need to understand that plenum is run above commercial drop ceilings because that space is typically used as the return duct (plenum) for forced air heat and AC. It's got better smoke spread characteristics (lower) which is required so that in case of a fire it won't spread smoke through the HVAC system as much before a duct detector trips and shuts the system down.

Guy Axlerod, most places also allow for running non-plenum cable through pan ducts if no other path is available, as long as the path is straight across.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can someone give me a quick bit of advice..
My MIL is redoing her deck and the PO had a single GFI Outlet in an outdoor gangbox..
The only issue that I see is that there's no conduit leading to the house it's just romex(I believe, didn't really inspect it too much)

Does the current NEC require conduit to the house or is it okay to run under the deck as it is (romex)?
If there's a differnt type of outdoor sheilded wire any other ways I can tell.. the wire is 100% painted so I won't be able to read anything on it.

Thanks

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Can someone give me a quick bit of advice..
My MIL is redoing her deck and the PO had a single GFI Outlet in an outdoor gangbox..
The only issue that I see is that there's no conduit leading to the house it's just romex(I believe, didn't really inspect it too much)

Does the current NEC require conduit to the house or is it okay to run under the deck as it is (romex)?
If there's a differnt type of outdoor sheilded wire any other ways I can tell.. the wire is 100% painted so I won't be able to read anything on it.

Thanks

PO?

If that's UF cable and not NM and it follows the code regarding stapling and other wire protection, it should be OK.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

PO?

If that's UF cable and not NM and it follows the code regarding stapling and other wire protection, it should be OK.

Previous Owner.

And I agree that it's a total no-go with Romex/NM as the NEC says absolutely not in a "wet or damp location" with "damp" being defined elsewhere in the code using an example of under a deck.

Some people would let it through with UF...it's a gray area. I wouldn't have it at my own house. NMLT conduit is too cheap and easy to install to be worrying about cable abrasion.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I'm not exactly sure of where to post this but:

I think I was just vastly overcharged for some electrical work by the company that is doing renovations in our living room and kitchen. Their rate was 74 dollars an hour, they were there for 2 hours. They ran about 30 feet of wire in the living room (no drywall was installed, just the studs) and put in a switch and 3 junction boxes for wiring up some lights. They also checked all of the outlets in the living room and kitchen. Our bill for the electric work was $1,052. I've wired a whole room at my father-in-laws' house for about 100 dollars, including the wire, 3 boxes and outlets, a light switch, and a cheap light fixture. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what exactly they did that could merit such a high cost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I'm not exactly sure of where to post this but:

I think I was just vastly overcharged for some electrical work by the company that is doing renovations in our living room and kitchen. Their rate was 74 dollars an hour, they were there for 2 hours. They ran about 30 feet of wire in the living room (no drywall was installed, just the studs) and put in a switch and 3 junction boxes for wiring up some lights. They also checked all of the outlets in the living room and kitchen. Our bill for the electric work was $1,052. I've wired a whole room at my father-in-laws' house for about 100 dollars, including the wire, 3 boxes and outlets, a light switch, and a cheap light fixture. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what exactly they did that could merit such a high cost.

Ask for a bill with line items.

Ask how long it took specifically.

I bet your detailed bill comes back a lot smaller, as the big line item is going to have to say that 6 guys were on site for those 2 hours at $74/hr.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Po is prev owner
No staples, ill check the type if I can

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
UF is a lot like romex, only it's solid rubber jacket instead of a thin rubber sheath with paper filler like NM-B. Data on NM-B cable is printed on the jacked, but UF is stamped- if it's UF, you should be able to see it through the paint. If you can't tell, open the GFCI receptacle and look at the termination.

Motronic posted:

Previous Owner.

And I agree that it's a total no-go with Romex/NM as the NEC says absolutely not in a "wet or damp location" with "damp" being defined elsewhere in the code using an example of under a deck.

Some people would let it through with UF...it's a gray area. I wouldn't have it at my own house. NMLT conduit is too cheap and easy to install to be worrying about cable abrasion.
It's not a gray area, this is pretty much exactly why UF exists. You use it in places where it's going to get wet, but is not subject to damage, like a deck or open porch. It's rated for direct burial as well, though you've got to dig it awfully deep.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

grover posted:

UF is a lot like romex, only it's solid rubber jacket instead of a thin rubber sheath with paper filler like NM-B. Data on NM-B cable is printed on the jacked, but UF is stamped- if it's UF, you should be able to see it through the paint. If you can't tell, open the GFCI receptacle and look at the termination.
It's not a gray area, this is pretty much exactly why UF exists. You use it in places where it's going to get wet, but is not subject to damage, like a deck or open porch. It's rated for direct burial as well, though you've got to dig it awfully deep.

The gray area isn't about the moisture resistance, it's about lack of abrasion resistance in a cable who's abrasion resistance is supposed to be supplemented by 12" of soil or by being behind drywall or in a conduit.

That's why it's a gray area. It depends on exactly where it is and how likely it would be to come in contact with something that will rub up against it. I can't make that call without seeing it.

FYI I'm not just making assumptions here. I was code enforcement - fire marshal to be precise - for the better part of the last decade so this is 100% in my wheelhouse but of course codes aren't the same everywhere nor are interpretations of what may be the exact same code. I'm just calling it the way _I_ would have responded to someone in my jurisdiction asking the same question.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It will be under a deck so no abrasion. It's a shortw run I'll have her grab some conduit, better safe than sorry

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Motronic posted:

The gray area isn't about the moisture resistance, it's about lack of abrasion resistance in a cable who's abrasion resistance is supposed to be supplemented by 12" of soil or by being behind drywall or in a conduit.

That's why it's a gray area. It depends on exactly where it is and how likely it would be to come in contact with something that will rub up against it. I can't make that call without seeing it.

FYI I'm not just making assumptions here. I was code enforcement - fire marshal to be precise - for the better part of the last decade so this is 100% in my wheelhouse but of course codes aren't the same everywhere nor are interpretations of what may be the exact same code. I'm just calling it the way _I_ would have responded to someone in my jurisdiction asking the same question.
What abrasion? NEC doesn't make mention of that; may be a local thing, as I've never heard anyone place those sort of restrictions on UF. In fact, 2011 NEC 340.10(3) & 340.10(4) explicitly say UF should be treated as waterproof NM. It's just not supposed to be subject to physical damage or exposed to direct sunlight. Under a deck is fine.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 21, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

grover posted:

What abrasion? NEC doesn't make mention of that; may be a local thing, as I've never heard anyone place those sort of restrictions on UF. In fact, 2011 NEC 340.10(3) & 340.10(4) explicitly say UF should be treated as waterproof NM. And it's not supposed to be used inside other raceway; no restrictions I'm aware of, but the jacket just has too much friction to be practical for all but the shortest conduit runs.

But it shouldn't be treated as poor-man's AC/MC, or really be used anywhere at all where you could whack into it. Under decks: probably OK. Running up the inside of your arbor to the sweet bug light? Probably not OK. Get some conduit.

Local interpretations are usually based on who in the local area recently burned a house down being stupid while narrowly reading the letter of the code.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

But it shouldn't be treated as poor-man's AC/MC, or really be used anywhere at all where you could whack into it. Under decks: probably OK. Running up the inside of your arbor to the sweet bug light? Probably not OK. Get some conduit.

Local interpretations are usually based on who in the local area recently burned a house down being stupid while narrowly reading the letter of the code.

I absolute agree with everything in this post.

My caution on the under the deck usage is simply because I don't know what it looks like. I've seen many decks that are high enough to be used as storage but low enough to end up having mowers and crap get jammed far enough in to touch the top. If there's any chance of it being used as a storage area of for any usage where something could end up under there and touch the cable it puts it in the territory of "this needs to be AC/MC AND it needs to be moisture resistant".

It's cheap and it's common sense. And, yes, I've seen it burn down a deck and melt the siding off the back of a house.

Also, if your experience doesn't include seeing things after the fact (like you only work new construction or reno jobs) you would be horrified at what people do and how they use spaces after the fact (especially in rental properties). Sure, it's not everyone. It's not even most people. But the code and it's interpretation is meant as a hedge against social darwinism for these type of people.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 22, 2013

A Furious Foetus
Aug 15, 2009
Help! I suppose this isn't strictly wiring related but I hosed up and there are wires attached.

Basically I was trying to change the bulb and it would turn but not pop out, so I twisted it a bit harder hoping it was just a bit jammed and it broke in my hand. I need to know how to get that remaining bit of bulb out of the fixture (hopefully without having to replace the part it plugs into).

I am a total DIY novice so if anyone replies (thanks in advance) use explanations fit for a child or someone stupid enough to snap a bulb in their hand.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

A Furious Foetus posted:

I am a total DIY novice so if anyone replies (thanks in advance) use explanations fit for a child or someone stupid enough to snap a bulb in their hand.

Potato. Cut potato in half. Take half of potato and jam it down onto the stump of the bulb. Turn potato to extract bulb.

Make sure power is off.

Or you could use a pair of needle-noses. Spread them apart to bite into the inside diameter of the bulb base, and turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKP5FzYN2Js

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Motronic posted:

Also, if your experience doesn't include seeing things after the fact (like you only work new construction or reno jobs) you would be horrified at what people do and how they use spaces after the fact (especially in rental properties). Sure, it's not everyone. It's not even most people. But the code and it's interpretation is meant as a hedge against social darwinism for these type of people.

On this subject: my uncle's house has some UF cable running outside that's not covered by a conduit. (It's a short distance behind a bush, in their defense.) Is there a way to give this code-compliant protection without having to undo the circuitry, pull the wires from the wall & slide it into a conduit?

I guess I'm wondering if there are any exterior-grade surface raceway options available. My uncle's suggestion was to buy some flexible conduit, cut a slit in the back, slide it over the cable, wrap the whole thing in electrical tape to "re-seal it", widen the holes where the cable enters the house, slip in the conduit, mount the conduit to the wall & silicone caulk.

A Furious Foetus
Aug 15, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Potato. Cut potato in half. Take half of potato and jam it down onto the stump of the bulb. Turn potato to extract bulb.

Make sure power is off.

Or you could use a pair of needle-noses. Spread them apart to bite into the inside diameter of the bulb base, and turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKP5FzYN2Js

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately there would be nowhere to put the pliers and nothing for the spud to grip onto, the prongs of the bulb are attached to the glass part with the female (?) part of the connection on the part which is stuck inside the fixture.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

A Furious Foetus posted:

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately there would be nowhere to put the pliers and nothing for the spud to grip onto, the prongs of the bulb are attached to the glass part with the female (?) part of the connection on the part which is stuck inside the fixture.

Turn the power off and use channel-locks on the bulb section while holding the other half in your hand.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A Furious Foetus posted:

Thanks for the reply!

At this point, you're going to have to be quite careful and chip the bulb's remaining ceramic away with a screwdriver or something. Hopefully, that loosens the pins up enough so you can rotate them away and out of the keyways.

I've never broken a halogen/HID like that before. Was the lamp hot when you tried to remove it? Has it been in there a while?

When you put the new one in, try putting NoAlOx/anti-oxidation compound on the pins. Electric grease also works.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Electric grease also works.

You mean "dielectric grease"?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kid sinister posted:

You mean "dielectric grease"?

This stuff. I got a big can of it when I was in the Navy. It doesn't say "dielectric" on it anywhere. I've also seen electrical contact grease at auto parts stores. Searching Google, some people call both of those dielectric grease, but dielectric grease is not designed to be put on the contacts, where electric grease is. Dielectric grease is for waterproofing/lubrication in and around connectors; electric grease is for electrical contacts specifically.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This stuff. I got a big can of it when I was in the Navy. It doesn't say "dielectric" on it anywhere. I've also seen electrical contact grease at auto parts stores. Searching Google, some people call both of those dielectric grease, but dielectric grease is not designed to be put on the contacts, where electric grease is. Dielectric grease is for waterproofing/lubrication in and around connectors; electric grease is for electrical contacts specifically.

That stuff has the same electrical properties but it's a better lubricant than silicone based dielectric grease, which is why it's typically used on switches and the like. Just like silicone dielectric grease, it is not marketed or supposed to be a conductor. In fact, if it were it would be terrible for the way it's typically used.

A Furious Foetus
Aug 15, 2009

At this point, you're going to have to be quite careful and chip the bulb's remaining ceramic away with a screwdriver or something. Hopefully, that loosens the pins up enough so you can rotate them away and out of the keyways.

I've never broken a halogen/HID like that before. Was the lamp hot when you tried to remove it? Has it been in there a while?

When you put the new one in, try putting NoAlOx/anti-oxidation compound on the pins. Electric grease also works.

Thanks for the info!

It's been in there for at least a year, I tried changing it a couple of weeks ago to no avail but my living room is super dark with that bulb out so I think my frustration got the better of me (the bulb was cold). I've informed my landlord about it and they're sending someone to sort it next week, I'd be too nervous about ruining the wiring or something if I tried breaking it out of there. If you want a follow-up of how the guy fixes it I'll post it just in case it ever happens to you if you like (assuming I'm home when they come round).

So yeah, thanks again but I think I'll leave it to a professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the replies about my ladder tray question. I got about half done, but haven't started working on the part that will go through the firewall.

I have another question though. Hopefully this year we are going to get another video router at my station. My boss was going to pay an integrator to do all the wiring but now it is looking like I'll be doing the majority of the wiring on it. What would you guys suggest to label the wires going into it. The old system is a combination of old paper labels taped on, fabric wire labels, and nothing at all.

I was looking at the labelers that print directly on the wire but those look to be out of the range I can get away with. I believe that we are looking at a 64x64 video router so having good labels is kind of important.

Here's a couple pictures to give an idea of how bad it is right now, most of the wiring in these pics is gonna stay too. :(

Current video router (SD only)

The other video routers (HD only)