Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Eh, Blizzard did that to a WC3 mod for Starcraft 1 also. Executives for any company would be hesitant for someone to actually release a product based on their licence. This isn't an uncommon phenomenon - hating Gearbox for a standard decision is a bit overblown.

Hopefully the execs will let these guys produce a real Duke game though. Seems like these guys have the talent.
Is it normal for a company to hand out a license to create a game, but not to release it? (honest question)
Thats what seems lovely to me, that article makes it sound like the RotT guys had the greenlight up until DNF's imminent failure was realized, at which point gearbox pulled a "Gotcha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And this is what is stupid. I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of a greedy, money-grubbing, evil capitalistic suit who doesn't understand anything about these supermarios things and only cares about money. Here I have a situation where a bunch of fans (read: "suckers") have created for free (read: "suckers") a competing product to our own offering, but they are tied by a lovely contract (read: "suckers") with us that make it so they cannot distribute it themselves. But we can. So we use their good product (which cost us nothing (read: "suckers")) as an incentive for customers (read: "suckers") to buy our crap product. Instead of being competition that hurts DNF's sales, it becomes a stepping stone. Or, in suit-language, this would allow us to harness the paradigm synergies so as to strengthen our business plan.

I mean, if I could get a bunch of people to make a game for me, with all of the development cost from their pockets and all the sale profits to my pockets, I'd bust out the top hat, mustache, cane, cigar, and pocket watch faster than you can say "robber baron". But Gearbox? They were too busy being a lousy company to seize this golden opportunity.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cat Mattress posted:

And this is what is stupid. I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of a greedy, money-grubbing, evil capitalistic suit who doesn't understand anything about these supermarios things and only cares about money. Here I have a situation where a bunch of fans (read: "suckers") have created for free (read: "suckers") a competing product to our own offering, but they are tied by a lovely contract (read: "suckers") with us that make it so they cannot distribute it themselves. But we can. So we use their good product (which cost us nothing (read: "suckers")) as an incentive for customers (read: "suckers") to buy our crap product. Instead of being competition that hurts DNF's sales, it becomes a stepping stone. Or, in suit-language, this would allow us to harness the paradigm synergies so as to strengthen our business plan.

I mean, if I could get a bunch of people to make a game for me, with all of the development cost from their pockets and all the sale profits to my pockets, I'd bust out the top hat, mustache, cane, cigar, and pocket watch faster than you can say "robber baron". But Gearbox? They were too busy being a lousy company to seize this golden opportunity.

Your job as an executive is to make money for yourself and look good to your bosses, not make a profit for the company. When a team outside of your immediate demesne does something good, it makes you look bad by comparison, so your goal is to kill all possible threats to your authority. Especially when a bunch of fans makes a product that's actually better than your multi-million dollar project. They have to die before they release somethign playable because otherwise you can't write them off as being an unviable project with a few pretty screenshots.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Cream_Filling posted:

Your job as an executive is to make money for yourself and look good to your bosses, not make a profit for the company. When a team outside of your immediate demesne does something good, it makes you look bad by comparison, so your goal is to kill all possible threats to your authority. Especially when a bunch of fans makes a product that's actually better than your multi-million dollar project. They have to die before they release somethign playable because otherwise you can't write them off as being an unviable project with a few pretty screenshots.

... You phrase it so soul crushingly well. :smithicide:

Oh well. I'd rather have a Blood modernization remake anyway.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Your job as an executive is to make money for yourself and look good to your bosses, not make a profit for the company.

Well, no, if Gearbox is publicly traded they have to do what turns the biggest profit or risk shareholder revolt.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is there any actual footage of Reloaded? Every article mentions it looking great, but I don't think I've ever seen running footage of it.

Someone mentioned it was like one of the polymer required mods - Duke Nukem Eternity. Which looked cool from the youtube footage, but the polymer made the dang thing unplayable on my 6 year old beaten down PC.

Speaking of footage though, check out gameplay footage of Shadow Warrior. I stumbled across it a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX7vNIivcig

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is there any actual footage of Reloaded? Every article mentions it looking great, but I don't think I've ever seen running footage of it.

Someone mentioned it was like one of the polymer required mods - Duke Nukem Eternity. Which looked cool from the youtube footage, but the polymer made the dang thing unplayable on my 6 year old beaten down PC.

Speaking of footage though, check out gameplay footage of Shadow Warrior. I stumbled across it a few days ago.

Polymer is unplayable on every PC.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm not sure why it is but this is doing nothing for me. Kind of...plodding. :geno:

e: you know what it reminds me of? Bioshock. Somehow that doesn't seem right.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

tooooooo bad posted:

I'm not sure why it is but this is doing nothing for me. Kind of...plodding. :geno:

It's pretty much confirming my exact worry I've posted about that game. It looks way too slow and more like a horde shooter than a classic FPS, if that makes any sense?

God I hope ROTT 2013 is like the videos look and doesn't suck :smith:

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
ROTT 2013 looks sick, Shadow Warrior looks like a Bulletstorm knockoff.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

e: you know what it reminds me of? Bioshock. Somehow that doesn't seem right.
Same!
It looks pretty generic, sure the setting is 'different' but its the same lack luster combat. Compared to the RotT gameplay videos its just lacking so much.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

erotic dad posted:

I liked the gameplay video, but then again, I also loved Bulletstorm. Bulletstorm felt like a remake of an FPS from 1996 that shot for the stars, but the technology at the time kept it from being good.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WickedIcon posted:

Well, no, if Gearbox is publicly traded they have to do what turns the biggest profit or risk shareholder revolt.

Not really, though. Maximizing profit is never a formal duty for management, and in fact ideally they're supposed to put the best interests of the company in front of the interests of the shareholders. Shareholder revolt is quite rare and is enormously costly for both sides. Management is still usually incredibly self-serving, especially since most shareholders have nowhere near enough information to even know what's going on at a micro level like that. Also, very few modern shareholders care at all about long-term viability anyway - most are speculators who only really care about the predictability of stock price and company performance, and not any other measure of success.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Same!
It looks pretty generic, sure the setting is 'different' but its the same lack luster combat. Compared to the RotT gameplay videos its just lacking so much.

I think it's just the slowness that's the off-putting part. That and real tricky intangibles like "feel".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone else hate facehuggers in the myriad Aliens FPS games (most of which, like Alien Trilogy and the original AVP, would count for this thread)?

Seriously, I was exposed to the original AVP game waaaaaay too young (I think my dad got me the Gold Edition when I was 6 or something) and while the atmosphere and difficulty never really did much for me, those little shitheads give me panic attacks to this day. I can't even watch videos of Aliens games anymore because if I see a facehugger or hear that "SKREEEEEEEE" noise they make I basically go "OH poo poo OH poo poo NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE" and close out.

I think they're the source of my hatred of Protozoid Slimers in Duke 3D and Bone Leeches in Blood 2, both of which act basically the same (except without the instant kill, which arguably makes it worse). Seriously, why the gently caress do early FPS games like enemies that latch on to the screen and make you poo poo yourself so much?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WickedIcon posted:

Does anyone else hate facehuggers in the myriad Aliens FPS games (most of which, like Alien Trilogy and the original AVP, would count for this thread)?

Seriously, I was exposed to the original AVP game waaaaaay too young (I think my dad got me the Gold Edition when I was 6 or something) and while the atmosphere and difficulty never really did much for me, those little shitheads give me panic attacks to this day. I can't even watch videos of Aliens games anymore because if I see a facehugger or hear that "SKREEEEEEEE" noise they make I basically go "OH poo poo OH poo poo NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE" and close out.

I think they're the source of my hatred of Protozoid Slimers in Duke 3D and Bone Leeches in Blood 2, both of which act basically the same (except without the instant kill, which arguably makes it worse). Seriously, why the gently caress do early FPS games like enemies that latch on to the screen and make you poo poo yourself so much?

To be fair, fans of the actual Alien movies probably also have a reflexive response to that sound, too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

To be fair, fans of the actual Alien movies probably also have a reflexive response to that sound, too.

What's especially weird is, I can get through the movies just fine. It's specifically in the games that facehuggers make me poo poo bricks. It's actively stopped me from checking out Alien Trilogy (which I hear is a fairly good 2.5D game) and AVP2, replaying AVP Classic, and playing anything but the Alien campaign in AVP2010.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

erotic dad posted:

Bulletstorm was a pretty fun game, so that's not a bad thing per-se. At the least, it looks more interesting than Hard Reset.

WickedIcon posted:

I'm pretty sure Gearbox is privately owned. The problem, regardless of public status, is that sometimes when fans use your copyrighted stuff in ways they probably shouldn't, it's often more beneficial to turn a blind eye to it at the least, as it's free PR as opposed to the bad PR of shutting things down. For example, Valve could have easily shut down Black Mesa Source, but they kept it going because it was basically free publicity for the Half-Life series.

I mean, poo poo, the Sonic the Hedgehog community seems to spend an awful lot of time reverse-engineering code, hacking apart data formats, ripping artwork and generally infringing on Sega's copyrights, and their reaction has basically been to stay out of it as long as money doesn't get involved (and occasionally to hire the folks responsible to do cool poo poo like the Sonic CD & Sonic 1 remakes).

WickedIcon posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress do early FPS games like enemies that latch on to the screen and make you poo poo yourself so much?
1.) Because Doom and Quake didn't have them.
2.) Because videogame designers subsist on a diet of tears and fear-urine.
3.) Because nobody actually wanted to talk to the weird unshaven pixel-artist with all the Giger books, and giving him a fullscreen face-latch spriteset to do kept him busy and out of everyone's way for a while.
4.) Because then you can add "horror" to the genre and score those sweet Resident Evil Dollars.
5.) Because jump-scares are clearly the highest form of art. Just ask Youtube Let's Play people!

:v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WickedIcon posted:

Don't forget the choking hands from Blood and Blood 2. Most annoying enemy in the entire series.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

WickedIcon posted:

I get that so loving bad from the poison headcrabs in half life 2 and their respective zombie type.

Then again, Valve were shooting for that intentionally, the little developer blurb gave a fascinating insight to that, the fact that the monsters themselves are totally loving harmless and cannot kill you didn't stop beta testers from unloading in a "KILL IT DEAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" way.

Its abit more interesting then just being a jumpscare when its also got the atmosphere to set it up i guess? :v:

The Kins posted:

Bulletstorm was a pretty fun game, so that's not a bad thing per-se. At the least, it looks more interesting than Hard Reset.

I've heard lots of good things about Bulletstorm, and hey, it is the steam sale time of year! :haw:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

I think it's just the slowness that's the off-putting part. That and real tricky intangibles like "feel".
Is it just me or did the demo look like it was being controlled with a gamepad? The rise of games designed for gamepads, which actually lock movement speed down so that m+k players don't have an advantage, was a horrible thing.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Is the mouse look in Shadow Warrior Redux as good as eduke, or is it more at bmouse levels?

Also that Shadow Warrior remake footage looks awful. :smith: I had to check to see if console versions had suddenly popped up because it really looks like it was designed with a controller in mind.

e: or what he said, refreshing pages is hard ^

tips fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 18, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The biggest problem of Shadow Warrior remake is the dev team. They claimed that Hard Reset was an old school FPS but it ended being a completely linear, corridor shooter with slow movement and boring weapons. The only cool thing about it was the expansion pack wich was free, wich shows the good intentions of Flying Wild Hog. They still didn't get the idea and their new game shows the same problems.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure Gearbox is privately owned. The problem, regardless of public status, is that sometimes when fans use your copyrighted stuff in ways they probably shouldn't, it's often more beneficial to turn a blind eye to it at the least, as it's free PR as opposed to the bad PR of shutting things down. For example, Valve could have easily shut down Black Mesa Source, but they kept it going because it was basically free publicity for the Half-Life series.

I mean, poo poo, the Sonic the Hedgehog community seems to spend an awful lot of time reverse-engineering code, hacking apart data formats, ripping artwork and generally infringing on Sega's copyrights, and their reaction has basically been to stay out of it as long as money doesn't get involved (and occasionally to hire the folks responsible to do cool poo poo like the Sonic CD & Sonic 1 remakes).

The issue is that you have to act consistently in regards to protecting/enforcing your IP. If they shut down things before, they have to keep doing it. Valve actually did talk to Black Mesa Source because their name used to be something with Half-Life in it, which is something they consistently do.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In regards to face-hugging-type enemies, I love the logic behind getting them off. They're supposed to be covering your face but typically you can just shoot (or kick) them off.

I'm playing Duke 3D again and those things still scare me, mainly because you have no idea one is attached to you until it starts coming up from the bottom of the screen. Whenever I see a bunch of those unhatched eggs, I waste all my ammo on my current gun because there's no way I'm giving them a chance to hatch.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The issue is that you have to act consistently in regards to protecting/enforcing your IP. If they shut down things before, they have to keep doing it. Valve actually did talk to Black Mesa Source because their name used to be something with Half-Life in it, which is something they consistently do.

Valve really do highlight that the 'You HAVE to crush your fans or you'll lose your copyrights/trademarks/underpants' line is bullshit, though. A friendly letter asking for a slight title change and a note clarifying that it is a free fan-work is sufficient.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Dominic White posted:

Valve really do highlight that the 'You HAVE to crush your fans or you'll lose your copyrights/trademarks/underpants' line is bullshit, though. A friendly letter asking for a slight title change and a note clarifying that it is a free fan-work is sufficient.

The point is they behave consistently towards enforcing and protecting their IPs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dominic White posted:

Yeah all you need to do is take action and have them sign a contract or a license for like $1 or something. And, if you're Valve, if they're any good you buy them out and give them jobs, so it's basically a free talent scout.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress. Gearbox.

I'd buy it at full retail price, and I wouldn't regret it deeply, unlike DNF.

To be fair, its more gently caress 3DRealms for being incompetent. Gearbox just bailed their asses out of a huge embarassment because Randy Pitchford got his start there, and then they were stuck holding the hot potato with not much to do about it.

The way I heard it (friends at gearbox) it cost them enough to buy that they needed to pretty much sell it as-is, although the game was in a horrible state. They patched up what they could, and just had to deal with it. :/

It may be better than never getting to play DNF though, at least it was funny? Eh.

Now they're just trying to recoup the costs involved. Maybe that was a bad business move, IDK, but it makes them nice guys.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Guillermus posted:

The biggest problem of Shadow Warrior remake is the dev team. They claimed that Hard Reset was an old school FPS but it ended being a completely linear, corridor shooter with slow movement and boring weapons. The only cool thing about it was the expansion pack wich was free, wich shows the good intentions of Flying Wild Hog. They still didn't get the idea and their new game shows the same problems.
This is true, and it's a big problem with these old-school shooters. They're not really like them at all, more like Doom horde maps if anything. I just played a metric ton of Shadow Warrior classic and it's a better game than Duke Nukem 3D - unfortunately the things that make it actually good almost definitly won't go over to the remake.

To give DNF some credit, I thought it did at least capture a bit of the original game's style. Some of the levels weren't completely straight lines, and it had some pretty cool interactive sequences (Which was a big appeal of Duke and SW) It poo poo the bed as far as some areas are concerned (Especially the Energy leech boss fight, which combines an underwater timed fight sequence with regenerating health, no cover, and an attack that can pull you away from oxygen so that you die anyway)

Jblade fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 18, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DNF after some patching is manageable (I'm a diehard Duke fan and I still enjoyed it). Carrying four weapons, adjustable FoV and some performance fixes made it slightly better wich gives gearbox some credit. What is sad is that multiplayer was actually fun, fast paced and enjoyable but was dead after the first week.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV I need to check it but if i remember correctly they added keybinds for fast access, not only cycling. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 18, 2013

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.

Guillermus posted:

DNF after some patching is manageable (I'm a diehard Duke fan and I still enjoyed it). Carrying four weapons, adjustable FoV and some performance fixes made it slightly better wich gives gearbox some credit. What is sad is that multiplayer was actually fun, fast paced and enjoyable but was dead after the first week.

I hated the two-weapon limit, but I thought the expanded inventory was actually worse because you have to have to cycle through it, and only in one direction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Why expand it to four? :confused: Duke isn't loving Master Chief. He should hold all the guns.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Why expand it to four? :confused: Duke isn't loving Master Chief. He should hold all the guns.

Presumably because cycling through 9 or 10 weapons in one direction would be entirely unmanageable.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Garnavis posted:

Presumably because cycling through 9 or 10 weapons in one direction would be entirely unmanageable.

BRING BACK THE TUROK WHEEL

BRING BACK THE CEREBRAL BORE

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

wa27 posted:

In regards to face-hugging-type enemies, I love the logic behind getting them off. They're supposed to be covering your face but typically you can just shoot (or kick) them off.

I'm playing Duke 3D again and those things still scare me, mainly because you have no idea one is attached to you until it starts coming up from the bottom of the screen. Whenever I see a bunch of those unhatched eggs, I waste all my ammo on my current gun because there's no way I'm giving them a chance to hatch.

Quick kick gets rid of them instantly. As soon as I realised that, they were no longer a problem at all. They're actually completely harmless when putting that single key into consideration.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

BRING BACK THE TUROK WHEEL

BRING BACK THE CEREBRAL BORE

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but I love both of these ideas.

SwissCM posted:

Quick kick gets rid of them instantly. As soon as I realised that, they were no longer a problem at all. They're actually completely harmless when putting that single key into consideration.

I love this because Duke literally kicks himself in the face like it's nbd

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I still love that in the original, unpatched Duke3D you could run around whilst simultaneously kicking with both legs. I very disappointed that they removed it from the Atomic edition.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Convex posted:

I still love that in the original, unpatched Duke3D you could run around whilst simultaneously kicking with both legs. I very disappointed that they removed it from the Atomic edition.

This should have been an option in Megaton Edition.

While we're on the subject, was anyone else irrationally upset that Duke couldn't kick in DNF? Hitting things with your gun is dumb, especially when they're big heavy things like the RPG and the Devastator.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Convex posted:

Oh god yes. I loved double kicking like a ninja. Using that technique was actually pretty useful on some levels.

Garnavis posted:

This should have been an option in Megaton Edition.

While we're on the subject, was anyone else irrationally upset that Duke couldn't kick in DNF? Hitting things with your gun is dumb, especially when they're big heavy things like the RPG and the Devastator.

That was the least of its problems, but it was a problem. The game as a whole seemed to completely ignore its heritage.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Technically a third-person shooter, but... was Zero Hour actually good, or was teenage me easily impressed by shooters that had actual 3D instead of disorienting, slightly nauseating fake pixely 3D?