Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I was going by the CryGaia wiki, they credit her as a Templar. But of that team, she's the only one MIA, presumed dead, so it doesn't entirely matter.

Crygaia credits her as Illuminati, but with no supporting information other then she is wearing blue. We might meet her later in the days before the Tokyo release or during Issue 8's Counsel of Venice introductions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

I might be going by old Beta knowledge

You are, it's a flashback. During the opening cutscenes: You hear a news broadcast talking about an incident in Tokyo. By the time you get to the flashback, it's been about two weeks since it happened.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rookersh posted:

And wait, that's the future? But Zurn made it sound like I was going to listen to a recording of the outbreak in Tokyo while high on superdrugs, and that's what it was. Now I'm really confused.

Since I just did this about 5.5 hours ago (haha, sleep, what the gently caress is that) this is definitely what is said. Complete with grainy video glitches and the PoV character switching between the PC and Sarah.

As far as faction choice goes, for me it was basically because Illuminati are the 'American' faction and I figured it would be easier for me to identify with them than with the other two, the discussion previously in this thread that paints the Templars in a pretty bad authoritarian light, and Jeyte telling me in SWTOR to roll Illuminati. :v:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cleretic posted:

The trouble is that we're both seeing a really bad slump in the game development cycle (according to one of the devs on the main forums, the Transylvania DLC had really hindered development because of the big shift to NorCal; it's all sorted now)

Just to correct you, the dev team moved to North Carolina, not NorCal. (Funcom's customer service dept. was already in NC) :eng101:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

WarLocke posted:

the discussion previously in this thread that paints the Templars in a pretty bad authoritarian light

Don't let me mislead you -- we're all sons of bitches.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

guppy posted:

Yeah but I just got a Jeffrey Coombs NIMH reference in New York. :3:

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

guppy posted:

Maybe I'm just used to seeing people who really dislike the attitudes and management of those they work for, but long ago I started reading inbetween the lines with Sonac. I get the feeling that he really hates the colossal importance Templars place on their history, especially when that history contains so many atrocities that they overlook, the elitist nature of the older Templars that discourages new blood or ideas, how the Templars in general refuse to cooperate with Illuminati/Dragon on the most basic of levels, and everything else that everone hates the Templar for. Its just that because of his position he cannot officially acknowledge this and essentially has scripted responses to those issues. So, I tend to like Sonac more than most people do.

Though his mission debriefs for Issue 8 seem to be written a bit differently and I'm afraid whoever they got writing for him now didn't get the memo. I also kind of wish they took it a little farther and have Sonac become clearly more frustrated and jaded in the later missions making references like "Well of course the worst case scenario happened, that's how it always goes." or "You have gotten great results even though you cast aside the standard Templar conventions, which is more than I can say for our other 'field' agents loitering around London. Perhaps the Templar as a whole could learn from you." or "I need to remind you to only focus on the big picture not small issues, regardless of how useful and far-reaching the history of your results from small issues has shown."

I kind of got a similar feeling from Geary. She is playing the game and she is drat good at it, but I got the feeling that she thinks that overall the game is rather detrimental to their overall goal.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Reverend Dr posted:

Though his mission debriefs for Issue 8 seem to be written a bit differently and I'm afraid whoever they got writing for him now didn't get the memo.

I noticed that with the Dragon mission debriefs as well. It sorta works, because the 1.7 Dragon debriefs ended in your original 'handler' getting 'disconnected', but still. It was basically rote "chaos, ripples, something something" for a couple of paragraphs each mission. Having played through 1.8 once on each faction, Illuminati have by far the best reports (or at least, theirs maintain quality and don't feel noticeably off).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, everyone in this game is assholes.

The Templars just think the best way for the world to be run is if everyone was under constantly 24 hour watch, or if we could go back to "the good old days", when peasants didn't get uppity ideas about freedom, and just tilled the soil. They have the largest armies, but spend the majority of their time trying to mess with the Illuminati for the New World upset or doing jack poo poo because of "tradition". You know, despite the fact the world is burning, and Gaia is dying. As Reverend said though, Sonnac seems to go against some of this.

The Illuminati's motto is whatever it takes. The ends justify the means, because we are dealing with the apocalypse. Or as they phrase it, you can either gently caress, or get hosed, and the Illuminati aren't done yet. Man wants to sell his soul to become a lich to keep fighting after death? Fine, good initiative. Cabal of devils want to join on humanities side for business reasons? Sure, we'll work with them. You killed your boss? Good initiative, he was to weak to keep fighting hellspawn then, obviously you could handle his job better.

They are 100% mercenary, but who cares. They want humanity to survive so they can keep up the cushy gig they have, and don't give a poo poo about what the average joe does after the fact, as long as it doesn't cut into their bottom line. And that in my opinion at least makes them the "good" guys.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

How can I get another weapon kit? Having some AOE in Kingsmouth would be nice so I want to build a shotgun, already have a builder and consumer for it, I just don't have an actual gun to use them with.

Shotgun/Elemental all-DPS build, burn the world down :black101:

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.

WarLocke posted:

How can I get another weapon kit? Having some AOE in Kingsmouth would be nice so I want to build a shotgun, already have a builder and consumer for it, I just don't have an actual gun to use them with.

Weapon kits are loot drops only. Same for talismans. The only vendor purchasable kits are for drinks.

You can either wait to get a shotgun (or weapon kit) from a loot drop/quest reward, or there is a vendor for QL0 weapons just a little NW of the police station.

I guess the only other option would be to buy one from the auction house (or market, whatever you want to call it). It's in London, at either the bank or post office.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, everyone in this game is assholes.

The Templars just think the best way for the world to be run is if everyone was under constantly 24 hour watch, or if we could go back to "the good old days", when peasants didn't get uppity ideas about freedom, and just tilled the soil. They have the largest armies, but spend the majority of their time trying to mess with the Illuminati for the New World upset or doing jack poo poo because of "tradition". You know, despite the fact the world is burning, and Gaia is dying. As Reverend said though, Sonnac seems to go against some of this.

The Illuminati's motto is whatever it takes. The ends justify the means, because we are dealing with the apocalypse. Or as they phrase it, you can either gently caress, or get hosed, and the Illuminati aren't done yet. Man wants to sell his soul to become a lich to keep fighting after death? Fine, good initiative. Cabal of devils want to join on humanities side for business reasons? Sure, we'll work with them. You killed your boss? Good initiative, he was to weak to keep fighting hellspawn then, obviously you could handle his job better.

They are 100% mercenary, but who cares. They want humanity to survive so they can keep up the cushy gig they have, and don't give a poo poo about what the average joe does after the fact, as long as it doesn't cut into their bottom line. And that in my opinion at least makes them the "good" guys.

Both sides want to control the world, really. The Illuminati just want to do it in a different way.

The Templar's want either some sort of 1987-esque police state, or a return of the feudal era. While the Illuminati want to literally be the new aristocracy of the modern age. Arguably the only difference between them there is how they want to regress society, and whether they're as welcoming to new recruits who are sociopathic as them.

Neither of them want to actually to put their full resources into fighting the "bad guys" of the setting. Hell, this is partially what got one of the minor conspiracies, the Phoenicians, to tell them to gently caress off before doing their own thing. They got screwed over so many times by politics that they just stopped giving a poo poo about the power structures involved in the setting. If both sides could drop that act for a decade they'd probably have the entire "apocalypse" thing sorted out so that they could go back to killing each other. But they obviously won't.

Also, Sonnac definitely falls under the New Templars sub group, who think that the idea of tradition taking importance compared to the literal end of the world is loving bonkers. The only difference between him and the other New Templars you can see in the game is that he's probably more conservative aligned or knows how to play politics to at least not get ousted from the inner workings of the organization.

Makes sense too, since you'd probably see a lot more people hating the Templars if one of the stodgy inner circle types was your contact. Though having that old woman be your contact 24/7 would be pretty hilarious. :v:

Edit: Geary is straight up a sociopath (and evil as hell) though. The only reason she's sometimes nice to you or other agents is that she doesn't want you to "burn out" before she gets the maximum amount of use out of you. She even says as much during the conclusion to one mission.

I mean, at one point she's on the phone with someone bitching at them for not completing a mission while they're dying of a gut wound. And you can encounter a similar situation where someone got gutted by zombies and eaten alive, only for her to text them complaining over them not doing their job afterwards. The woman has zero sense of empathy or understanding when it comes to the poo poo that she sends people into. She's definitely fully for the current power structures.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 18, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

WarLocke posted:

Just don't make the mistake I did and beeline for the Grifter deck like I did. The outfit is still slick as poo poo, but the DPS and long cooldowns would leave thwoompa apoplectic with how bad it is. I managed until the higher-tier nightmare runs/Machine Tyrant, where I was pretty much dead weight who din't even have Cleanup. (PS get Cleanup)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

WarLocke posted:

There was a handy post a few pages ago: here

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

WarLocke posted:

You basically have 3 options for getting extra weapons in Kingsmouth:

1 - Buy a QL0 weapon from a Venice Vendor (also available just outside agartha in London)
2 - Complete any of the Missions listed here that have a weapon reward: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552793&pagenumber=31&perpage=40#post417528411 (Remember, all of these missions are repeatable, albeit with a cooldown).
3 - Complete the mission Scrapyard Defense from Scrapyard Edgar at Edgar's Scrapyard. It rewards a QL3 Weapon toolkit.

Overall, though, crafting is mostly useless and you should really never be buying gear. There's mission's in each zone with appropriate QL gear rewards (see the above link for QL 1-3). And the gear from dungeons is easy and plentiful.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
The fourth option is to buy great starter weapons from the Funcom Funbux store, which came complementary if you did the pre-release Facebook game or bought the Initiate Pack (which I think may come free with the Steam release? I know mine did, but that might have been a limited time deal).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Option 5: Ask goons who can make/pass you a weapon with ease (or drag you through Polaris where you can need on everything).

Oh and don't get cleanup until you're approaching QL10 in skills and gear. There's absolutely zero use for that ability in normal/elite difficulty content and you have far better things to buy than a 50 AP outer ring elite for a good while if you're still in Kingsmouth.

Edit: fine, five

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't expect him to get Cleanup in Kingsmouth. By the time he reaches a 50 AP skill on the outer tier, I'd hope he'd have filled up with some more well-rounded abilities along the way.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The game has a lot of aspects I really like so far, but that "only one mission at a time" thing is getting annoying pretty fast. Do you actually have to do all the missions to stay the appropriate level ?

E : Also how important are the talisman skill points ?

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Fathis Munk posted:

The game has a lot of aspects I really like so far, but that "only one mission at a time" thing is getting annoying pretty fast. Do you actually have to do all the missions to stay the appropriate level ?

Talisman skill points determine the gear you can wear - try and keep all three in line with your wep skills.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fathis Munk posted:

You only need to do about 30% of the missions in a zone to keep your levels up to correspond to progression. Do more if you want, or move on. It's fairly self-paced.

The important thing is that you keep current with your story mission and finish the portion for each zone before moving on.

Talisman skill points give you increased defensive statistic and let you use higher level talismans.

You should try to keep your talismans close to your weapon level.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So was rushing my Chaos skill to 9 asap to use my veteran chaos focus a bad idea? I mean the rest are 3s for my talismans and 4 for my other weapon. Only at Savage Coast although I'm able to do some of the quests in Blue Mountain just fine.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

xanthan posted:

So was rushing my Chaos skill to 9 asap to use my veteran chaos focus a bad idea? I mean the rest are 3s for my talismans and 4 for my other weapon. Only at Savage Coast although I'm able to do some of the quests in Blue Mountain just fine.

Yeah. Savage Coast is like QL 3-4 and Blue Mountain is like QL5-6. A QL 10 weapon is total overkill.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently all of the missions can be replayed? They just go on a timer/cooldown when you do them. That's neat, although it'll take a while to get out of the "Are there quest icons here? No? Moving on then" mentality.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

WarLocke posted:

So apparently all of the missions can be replayed? They just go on a timer/cooldown when you do them. That's neat, although it'll take a while to get out of the "Are there quest icons here? No? Moving on then" mentality.

Any mission you've already done will have a check mark on the icon so you'll at least know that you've already done it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
So I didn't manage to catch it on a screenshot, but a filth dragon-thing was apparently flying around Agartha. He touched down at the Tokyo portal, and then vanished.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So I didn't manage to catch it on a screenshot, but a filth dragon-thing was apparently flying around Agartha. He touched down at the Tokyo portal, and then vanished.

Me and Einstein watched one as well, its part of the leadup to Tokyo.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Just finished Issue 7 today, and drat the Nursery was creepy as gently caress. Those poor kids. :( Still, I'm feeling good knowing I called out Lily Engel as being Lilith and the Mother of Monsters months in advance. :smugdog:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Hipster Occultist posted:

Just finished Issue 7 today, and drat the Nursery was creepy as gently caress. Those poor kids. :( Still, I'm feeling good knowing I called out Lily Engel as being Lilith and the Mother of Monsters months in advance. :smugdog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdPjFlZnB4:getin:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Oh neat, I didn't know that it was an actual song.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WarLocke posted:

Yeah but I just got a Jeffrey Coombs NIMH reference in New York. :3:

So, what is the secret of NIMH?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jedit posted:

So, what is the secret of NIMH?

Just on the odd chance that phrasing is totally coincidental and you don't know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_NIMH

:3:

Also, I think I found a non-repeatable quest. Escorting Cassie from the Morninglight camp near Kingsmouth just up and disappeared from Che's list when I finished it, instead of going on cooldown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Just on the odd chance that phrasing is totally coincidental and you don't know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_NIMH

:3:

Also, I think I found a non-repeatable quest. Escorting Cassie from the Morninglight camp near Kingsmouth just up and disappeared from Che's list when I finished it, instead of going on cooldown.

Yes, some quests are one time only. If you check your log, those are marked as such too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That one's pretty much the only non-repeatable mission I can remember that's not a faction rank or story mission.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

quote:

Me and Einstein watched one as well, its part of the leadup to Tokyo.

...mm, I'm going to have to farm teddy bears every time the mission pops then (and yes, you can get multiple bears, as long as they're named differently).

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I've been on the fence for the longest time on this game (because Funcompetence), but I caved in when it came on sale. Not dissappointed so far!

I got 10 silver badge-wotsits on the ingame store, but I can't find any info where they're from or what I should do with them. I did notice a QL9 AR that costs exactly 10. Good purchase when I can use it?

\/\/ I see, thanks!

Lima fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 18, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lima posted:

I've been on the fence for the longest time on this game (because Funcompetence), but I caved in when it came on sale. Not dissappointed so far!

I got 10 silver badge-wotsits on the ingame store, but I can't find any info where they're from or what I should do with them. I did notice a QL9 AR that costs exactly 10. Good purchase when I can use it?

No.

Those are Veteran Points, they are awarded for every month that you're a subscriber (so you have some because you get a free subscription month when you buy the game), including lifetimers. (Note that a sub isn't needed to play, it just brings other benefits of varying worth like Veteran Points.)

There is very nearly nothing worth buying with Veteran Points, so the variance in this case isn't great. There's a sombrero, but it's badly made and not worth buying. There's a "Reconstructor," which repairs your gear and everyone else's in your group with an hour cooldown, so you don't have to go find a vendor to do it, but you still have to pay for the repairs. There are a few other kind-of-useful things and a bunch of dogshit. Most of us buy nothing, because as worthless as Veteran Points are, they might conceivably purchase cool things later and there's no way to get more if you use yours up except to subscribe and wait.

Definitely don't waste them on gear. You can get better gear without even trying when you're the right level to use it.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Lima posted:

Those are vet points. Gained 10 per month of subscription or 10 per friend referral code that makes a game purchase. They spend just like the regular cash shop currency, its just a different (smaller) selection of items.

The answer to any non-cosmetic item purchase from any part of the store is "no".

Okay there are a few exceptions such as the AP potions that double your AP gain (not the ones that straight up give AP, good gravy not those) and maybe a signet extractor when dealing with end game gear and expensive signets (95+% people burn out long before they reach that point of the endgame). But the weapons/talismans are loving awful. Look at the AH, gear of that quality is dirt cheap and its something you will likely outgrow the day you buy it.

Also after finishing 30 missions you will get 1200 bonus points ($10 worth) which function like funcom fun bucks for the other part of the in-game store. Those are typically best spent on the issues for access to the newer missions.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Savage Coast is like QL 3-4 and Blue Mountain is like QL5-6. A QL 10 weapon is total overkill.
I disagree completely, I ran an experiment rushing a QL10 weapon on my alt and it wound up being about 20% more base damage on top of pretty much never glancing, which is a lot more difference than I think I'd get power-leveling talismans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

OneEightHundred posted:

I disagree completely, I ran an experiment rushing a QL10 weapon on my alt and it wound up being about 20% more base damage on top of pretty much never glancing, which is a lot more difference than I think I'd get power-leveling talismans.

That's what was intended by game design and by dungeon drop rewards. Though considering you can put q10 glyphs in any talisman I am also inclined to agree with weapons being more important than talismans.

Though what I've found works is getting everything to q3, doing Polaris. Rush your primary to 5 right about when you can get a blue q6 from blue mountain. Playing catchup with your talismans/secondary for drops from HR/DW. Rushing primary to 7 for the q8's from City of the Sun God, then playing catchup with everything else. Though it is important to get talismans up in an efficient timeframe as their weight on determining which quests are devastating or not is higher than the weight of weapons.

Also worth noting is that for almost every weapon you can safely ignore the secondary line (I guess aside from healing) as the secondary is either terrible (pistol/shotgun) doesn't provide a good bonus until later (ele) or is only useful for endgame roles (hammer/chaos/blade/AR/fist/blood).

• Locked thread