Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Boomerjinks posted:

Then you get some shitknuckle with a wicked case of short guy syndrome pulling a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrJ9r6Tqok

And then it takes another guy with a gun to break up that fight

This happened 30 minutes from my house. The guy who pulled the gun came back after the kids called 911. He was so mad he got punked by two teenagers that he returned to their house and shot up their truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carteret posted:

This happened 30 minutes from my house. The guy who pulled the gun came back after the kids called 911. He was so mad he got punked by two teenagers that he returned to their house and shot up their truck.

See, that's the kind of guy I dread ever meeting in traffic or anywhere else, for that matter.

There are way too many people who get seriously pissed off at stuff like people "cutting them off", when in fact they deliberately sped up and tried to close the gap while someone was trying to change lanes. I see it all the time at a particular left turn onto the motorway on my commute. People get over to the left lane almost a kilometer before the turn and absolutely refuse to let anyone in.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETleE14MfU

In my head, the rest of the people came to break up the fight because those assholes were backing up traffic.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Boomerjinks posted:

Then you get some shitknuckle with a wicked case of short guy syndrome pulling a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrJ9r6Tqok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETleE14MfU

And then oh think of the children!
I had something like the first video happen, but there was no gun.

We were driving, 4 deep, on a back road and suddenly some dude in an Aztek cuts us off at a one lane bridge that crosses a stream. He slams his breaks and gets out and stuff, we were all "wtf, who is this guy" and he walks up to our window and like punches it. Up until that point we were all thinking "uh, ok well lets see what this guy has to say I guess?" Then as soon as he did that we all thought he was a dick and got out of the car.

Middle aged guy, young punk kids.

The video is nuts though because of how calmly the wife (I'm guessing it's his wife) get's his gun ready. I applaud her for being so in tune with her husbands needs but, drat lady. I also don't get how those two young kids were able to knock him over. The guy is a bit shorter but he looks stout like a weeble wooble that you can't knock over.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

when in fact they deliberately sped up and tried to close the gap while someone was trying to change lanes. I see it all the time at a particular left turn onto the motorway on my commute. People get over to the left lane almost a kilometer before the turn and absolutely refuse to let anyone in.

God, this kills me and is so stupidly prevalent where I live. People here have this stupid urge to change lanes or merge long, long before necessary.

"My exit isn't for 2 more miles but I have to merge across 3 lanes of traffic RIGHT NOW *slams on brakes with blinker on loving everything up*" It just wouldn't make sense at all to ride it out and find the gaps, or heaven forbid accelerate up to an open gap. No sir!

"Oh, this lane ends in a mile, I better slow down and ungracefully merge now, while backing up the rest of the traffic in both lanes."

Then later...

"Hey gently caress you buddy I prematurely merged over a mile ago, no way I'm going to let you in now that we're at the natural zipper point! *blatantly closes gap, making both lanes come to a stop*"

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

The video is nuts though because of how calmly the wife (I'm guessing it's his wife) get's his gun ready. I applaud her for being so in tune with her husbands needs but, drat lady.

The wife was also charged: http://www.wfla.com/story/21817118/couple-appear-in-court-after-videotaped-road-rage-shooting-in-nc

quote:

Bradley Turner has been charged with discharging a weapon into property, two counts of assault by pointing a gun, Going Armed to the Terror of People, Injury to Personal Property and Assault.

Christy Turner has been charged with two counts of assault by pointing a gun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I get road raged occasionally (as in others get ragey and go for me, not the other way around) and generally it ends with the other dude being embarrassed.

First time I remember, I was driving my old POS Cherokee. It had been acting up due to a loose ground but I wasn't sure exactly what was going on yet. I pulled up to a traffic light just as it turned red and the drat thing stalled and shut off. Fortunately some other things stopped working at the same time which clued me in as to which ground was loose, so I popped the hood, got out, fixed it, started it back up and drove away, maybe two seconds after the light went green. AKA less time than some lovely drivers take to move when their car works normally. That wasn't fast enough for some dickbag behind me though, the second he saw me get out* he laid on the horn and started flashing his lights and poo poo.

He followed me through a few turns down a quiet road so I wasn't sure if he was following me or not. Took another few random turns and sure enough, he was... so I turned on the dome light and reached into the back seat for my crowbar. For some reason he didn't follow me the next time I turned.

* I'm 6 foot 5 and looked like a cross between a scruffy redneck, a construction site worker, and a biker gang member when this happened. I have no idea why he thought being a dick and then trying to follow me was a wise course of action.

PS: if you have an XJ and the HVAC blower, transmission controller, engine, and transfer case indicator lights all go wonky at the same time, check the ring terminal ground on the left inner fender by the ECU. It's probably loose :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Sometimes I get a little road ragey but it's always from a desire to "just go!" and I try not to focus it on any one particular idiot even if one person is being an idiot. You just gotta chill out and remember to:

(When I first saw that there was about 2 seconds where I thought the guy just really hated Stone Temple Pilots)

Edit: ^^ Relating to that, my girlfriend has to testify next week for a friend's husband in a road rage incident. Some guy was being a dick, pulled them over on the side of a road and got out of his car to confront him. But her husband is a huge personal trainer and so he got out to meet him halfway, and once the guy started getting in his face he just pushed him over. All it takes is a push and now the guy is suing even though he started it. Then you got the whole Zimmerman trial. Everyone just get a garage, get in your car, leave the garage and don't ever get out until you get to the next garage. Leaving vehicles causes nothing but trouble it seems.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 17, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Raluek posted:

I... Really? I could have sworn all of the ones around here were V8s, judging by the dual exhaust, but I can't say I've ever seen under the hood. You're making me question everything I thought I knew.

All Chargers are dual exhaust now. It's that way with all the muscle/pony cars now - you have to really know what you're looking for to tell the engine difference (mostly fake air vents and slightly different bumpers). So, with the new ones, it's really hard to tell with all the police stuff slapped on the car.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bigbillystyle posted:

As some other people have pointed out, yes, but could you maybe elaborate on why you are so willing to attempt to get rear ended? Like Disgruntled Bovine said its probably eventually going to happen. Do you honestly think you're going to get out of your car all :smug: like, heh, guess you'll think twice about tailgating next time, now lets have a calm discussion while exchanging info and waiting for the police to arrive?

I've had this happen to me a few times, not even purposly tailgaiting I just used to have a bad habit of following too close that some people wouldn't care for, and I have always wondered what the end game is. I know the desired effect is to have the person following too close back off a little bit but I have always wondered if brake checking has ever made a situation better for you? Doesn't it just piss off the person behind you even more? Sorry for so many questions but I've never had a chance to ask one of you people why you do it.

I do a slight brake check when people are following me too closely in a situation where -I- may have to brake hard in the future.

It's not being an rear end in a top hat, it's memorizing/knowing traffic patterns and avoiding accidents in the future.

For instance, there are several places, that in certain times of the day, normal travel on the freeway can turn into fully stopped traffic, where I have seen rear-ends happen multiple times (or people driving up on the shoulder to avoid them). Or predicting where similar situations can occur due to being the correct driving distance behind someone and being able to see ahead enough to see a bunch of brake lights in upcoming traffic, or it starting to cluster up). I've had several people following me too closely when I might have to jam on the brakes at any time, and they -need- to get off of me since my brakes are normally much better than theirs and I don't want to be rear ended.

A MOMENTARY brake check, ie. just flashing the lights is done to make the person behind you just wary enough of you braking to help avoid crashing into the back of you when you actually DO have to break because of the traffic up ahead. If they're that close, where I would do it, they probably can't see ahead of my car enough to know that I might be braking soon.

On the flip side, I never do it in more "open" traffic, because, (a) I'm never in the left lane and not going faster than everyone around me (and if someone is approaching me, I get over far before they would have to step on the brakes/ruin their cruse control themselves), and (b) see "a."

edit: I've had several people respond by doing the "swerve into the other lane to look past me, then back off" after doing that, so it does work positively for me.

Darko fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 17, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darko posted:

*reasonable brake checking*

Yeah this is what I do, I don't full-on slam my brakes on or anything. It's a Blazer, not exactly the most agile thing on the road. Plus mine had a sweet ABS delete done by the PO, so it like to lock tires under heavy braking; that's the last thing I need on the highway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If I see issues up ahead, I tap the brakes repeatedly to make them flash a few times as a warning that, hey, I'm going to stop soon. That seems to work well and something I picked up when riding a motorcycle.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I generally opt to slow down until they figure it's worth their time to just pass me. Slamming on the brakes because of a jerk behind you is asking for trouble. No need to hit them a violent "gently caress you" brake check.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boomerjinks posted:

I generally opt to slow down until they figure it's worth their time to just pass me. Slamming on the brakes because of a jerk behind you is asking for trouble. No need to hit them a violent "gently caress you" brake check.

"Slamming?" You're supposed to tap. Slamming is just a dumb rear end in a top hat move. Slowing down is actually worse because it often ends up disrupting the traffic flow behind you, especially as the guy behind you gets more irritated trying to pass you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Tap the pedal to flash brake lights, if that doesn't work drop down a gear and leave them far, far behind. I used to have awful road-rage, although never to the point of physical violence, I just would scream at morons until I thought my heart would explode. Now I either ignore them, maybe call them a shithead under my breath, and increase or decrease my speed until they aren't a problem anymore. Other people's stupidity (or actual malice) isn't generally worth having an accident (or aneurysm) over.

e: so I'm not just contributing to this derail:

The URL at the bottom there is a goldmine of horrible poo poo.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 17, 2013

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Maybe its because I'm from Massachusetts, or just a bigger dick than I thought, but I've gotten full on brake slamming brake checks more than once. I've had it happen and realize that oops, I was following a little close, but god drat did you have to almost cause an accident for it? A simple dragging of the brakes, as you guys described, would have sufficed. I also got full on brake checked in barely rolling 20mph bumper to bumper traffic on the highway where I eventually got into a position to pass the car that did it and they yelled over at me to back off because there was a baby in back seat! What the gently caress then why were you trying to get me to rear end you?

I realize that when I was younger I drove more aggressively than the average driver, I attribute that to being young combined with commuting 60 miles each way to work and back everyday so I just got really comfortable driving up somebodies rear end until I could get around them which is a fairly common practice during commuting hours where I live, we're called Massholes for a reason I guess. I'm never the guy honking and flashing his lights while giving the finger but sometimes I would provoke a pretty hard brake check. I just always wondered the reasoning behind trying to get me to rear end you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In the Land Rover, I just ignore them. If it upsets you that much, ram me.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Stolen from the Cosplay thread.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The only thing that really ever gets me angry on the road is when someone pulls out on you on a 1 lane road, and then immediately stops traffic to make another turn 1 block away instead of waiting for you to pass first. :argh:

For content: Here, have a woody!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

iForge posted:

For content: Here, have a woody!

I love that they used the fancy wrought-iron gate hinges for it. So classy.

Edit: And a chain lock! This is totally in the wrong thread, sorry.

iForge posted:

The only thing that really ever gets me angry on the road is when someone pulls out on you on a 1 lane road, and then immediately stops traffic to make another turn 1 block away instead of waiting for you to pass first. :argh:

I had somebody do this to me just yesterday, only instead of going a block it was less than 100 feet. On a 55mph speed limit road. Of course they returned the middle finger they so richly deserved, clearly I was the rear end in a top hat for nearly turning their poo poo-heap Grand-Prix into a kei-car.

Must remember to breathe slow and deep, the shaking will go away soon...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I got in a few road rage incidents when I was younger, but nothing ever really interesting enough to be worth mentioning. I've found that being patient when there's no space on the road and waiting for it to open up is the best solution. Even if someone gets mad it's not like they're going to be able to keep up.

One interesting incident with a tailgater happened when I had my white M3. I was on my way up to Sac when I passed a bubble-generation Taurus tailgating a work truck on the right. Undertaking is pretty common as people in CA don't yield reliably, so I thought nothing of it and kept going. The bubble Taurus starts tailgating me a few miles later at 85 MPH, so I figure he's just a jackass, drop it in 3rd and disappear. Almost half an hour later I'm cruising along at 85 again and this shitbox Taurus comes rocking up, a tiny two-light lightbar behind the mirror illuminated. My first thought is "this guy's a fake" because that was its only distinguishing feature, and unlike all other marked/unmarked CA cop cars, this one didn't have the CA EXEMPT plates.

So I pull over, leaving the motor running, crack the passenger window and I see a guy wearing half a CHP jumper over a wifebeater get out of the Taurus. Instantly I think something is weird because the jumper looks like some lovely non-issue thing, the guy looks like he just got up and the only explanation I can think of is, this guy's a trainee and wants to play Mr. Badass Cop. He comes up and spins some yarn about how he had to drive that POS "over a hundred thirty to catch up" :bahgawd: and he wants my license and registration. I ask to see his badge, noticing he isn't wearing anything but that wifebeater and a singlet - he deflects and this goes on for a minute - finally I tell him I'm going to call the Solano county sheriffs with his description and plate if he doesn't cough up some ID. Between curse words I hear something about getting a ticket in the mail, which of course didn't happen. If there's any justice in the world he got bounced out for being late to the academy or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The news just advertised that they will have a special on dealing with road rage tonight!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

Stolen from the Cosplay thread.

Is that a Turbo Interceptor from The Wraith?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nah, that's just a lovely photoshop of a Reventon and an early 70s El Camino.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Das Volk posted:

I got in a few road rage incidents when I was younger, but nothing ever really interesting enough to be worth mentioning. I've found that being patient when there's no space on the road and waiting for it to open up is the best solution. Even if someone gets mad it's not like they're going to be able to keep up.

One interesting incident with a tailgater happened when I had my white M3. I was on my way up to Sac when I passed a bubble-generation Taurus tailgating a work truck on the right. Undertaking is pretty common as people in CA don't yield reliably, so I thought nothing of it and kept going. The bubble Taurus starts tailgating me a few miles later at 85 MPH, so I figure he's just a jackass, drop it in 3rd and disappear. Almost half an hour later I'm cruising along at 85 again and this shitbox Taurus comes rocking up, a tiny two-light lightbar behind the mirror illuminated. My first thought is "this guy's a fake" because that was its only distinguishing feature, and unlike all other marked/unmarked CA cop cars, this one didn't have the CA EXEMPT plates.

So I pull over, leaving the motor running, crack the passenger window and I see a guy wearing half a CHP jumper over a wifebeater get out of the Taurus. Instantly I think something is weird because the jumper looks like some lovely non-issue thing, the guy looks like he just got up and the only explanation I can think of is, this guy's a trainee and wants to play Mr. Badass Cop. He comes up and spins some yarn about how he had to drive that POS "over a hundred thirty to catch up" :bahgawd: and he wants my license and registration. I ask to see his badge, noticing he isn't wearing anything but that wifebeater and a singlet - he deflects and this goes on for a minute - finally I tell him I'm going to call the Solano county sheriffs with his description and plate if he doesn't cough up some ID. Between curse words I hear something about getting a ticket in the mail, which of course didn't happen. If there's any justice in the world he got bounced out for being late to the academy or something.

Did the "cop" call you a chicken fucker?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MrChips posted:

Did the "cop" call you a chicken fucker?

Hey now, the guy probably just wanted a liter of cola.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I had a guy who I guess thought I'd passed him too aggressively on my motorcycle catch up to me miles later on the highway, pull into the lane next to me, and then slam over trying to push me clean off the road into the median. Just this week I was passing a minivan in a marked passing zone on a two-lane backroad, and the van swerved into the left lane; not sure if they were trying to block me or just target fixated (or were just a lovely CT driver.)

It wouldn't be hard to fill a thread solely with anecdotes of dumb things cagers do around motorcycles.

On the other hand, in stopped situations, people seem less likely to confront a motorbiker in full body armor.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Jesus, cop impersonation, but really not, since he isn't dressing the part. Still, the flashing lights should have gotten that guy into poo poo if you had gone through with reporting it.

And if you handed your poo poo over, he'd probably note your address and drive off with it. Then rob your house later.

Speaking of which, it's why you generally don't want to keep things with your address on it in your car. Someone breaks in, takes your car (or not), goes to your house, sees if anybody is home, and takes your poo poo. After all, you were out, right? Got a garage opener and don't keep the inside locked? Even better.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I once pulled onto a 2-lane highway, and there was an 80's Dodge pickup way off on the horizon coming down the road in the same direction I was going to go, but there was plenty of room for me to pull out and easily accelerate to speed and leave plenty of following distance for the pickup. He wouldn't have had to come anywhere close to slowing down for me. At least, that would have been the case had the guy been going around the speed limit (55) and not closer to 90 because I blinked a couple of times and he was two inches off my bumper. The guy then whipped out to pass on a curve on a double-yellow line, then ran me half off the road and both the driver and the passenger started chucking poo poo out of their windows at me. I have no idea what the gently caress and called the cops when I got into town.

Also, I once had a first-gen Chrysler Concorde slowly catch up to me while I was going 5 over on another 2-lane, and then he perched directly off my rear bumper, so close that I couldn't see any part of the grille or headlights. Despite numerous passing lanes for miles, he stayed right there until finally deciding to pass me. At which point I watched as he did the same thing to a woman in a Ford Ranger a little ways ahead of me. And promptly plowed into the back of her when she stopped to make a left turn just another mile later. I stopped to help, and the lady was all right but asked to use my cell phone. Then the driver of the Concorde came over to me, and he was just completely fried out of his squash on meth, and his slack-jawed rear end said, "I didn't hit her. You saw, I didn't hit her." I'm like, "Dude, you got right on her tail just like you did me and smashed right into her. It was right in front of me and I saw it clearly." And his mouth just hangs open and he says, ".....no, I didn't hit her."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

JaysonAych posted:

Also, I once had a first-gen Chrysler Concorde slowly catch up to me while I was going 5 over on another 2-lane, and then he perched directly off my rear bumper, so close that I couldn't see any part of the grille or headlights. Despite numerous passing lanes for miles, he stayed right there until finally deciding to pass me.

I've had cops do that to me at night on lonely country roads...

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Wooden hood? Decently executed. That is, the front passengers after rear-ending somebody. Crumple zones, what are those?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That is both awesome and absolutely horrible for the reason you stated.

What, vinyl wrap wasn't enough?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
After seeing those wooden hood pics, I'm submitting myself in here. Unfortunately I no longer have the pictures, but one day I found myself with 5 boxes of wood flooring pretty close to this color, but a shade or two darker.

So I brought out the cardboard, made a couple templates of the rear hatch area in my old GTI, and got the jigsaw out. While the end result came out pretty decent in terms of fitment; it was just odd to have a wooden floor in my car.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
At least it wasn't positioned to come back and neatly decapitate everyone in the front seat like the hood is.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
There's something weirdly familiar about that VW, especially the flat nose - what model is it?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Its a 90s Passat.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
What is it about hoods that VW ricers just have to do so much stupid stuff with?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

At least it wasn't positioned to come back and neatly decapitate everyone in the front seat like the hood is.

OTOH if it ever happens it opens the door to numerous Commando-grade "He got bored" puns

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fucknag posted:

Am I bad for brake-checking people who tailgate me on single-lane, double-yellow-line roads? :ohdear:

yes, yes you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mighty Horse posted:

What is it about hoods that VW ricers just have to do so much stupid stuff with?

Because there's nothing worth showing off under them. :smug: