Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to buy a programmable thermostat for the apartment. Office maintenance has said they'll install it for no charge once I buy it, but I need to get the right one (I forgot to ask them about that, and they're gone for the day :saddowns:). Are there many different types of thermostat that I need to look out for when I go to Lowe's or whatever, or is it pretty universal? I know dick all about electronics :(

(edit) Good lord, an Internet-controllable thermostat. :pwn:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Ciaphas posted:

I want to buy a programmable thermostat for the apartment. Office maintenance has said they'll install it for no charge once I buy it, but I need to get the right one (I forgot to ask them about that, and they're gone for the day :saddowns:). Are there many different types of thermostat that I need to look out for when I go to Lowe's or whatever, or is it pretty universal? I know dick all about electronics :(

(edit) Good lord, an Internet-controllable thermostat. :pwn:

Sounds awesome if you ask me, have AC off while you're out of the house, set it to turn on with enough time for the house to be nice and cool when you get there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sure, but a $20 thermostat will let you do that with simple time programming. I mean I guess it might be worth it if you have no set schedule and could be coming and going at any time during the day, but that's a pretty niche need.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Speaking of energy usage (I'm pretending that's what we were talking about, anyway), I just got off the phone with PG&E about what the new place will cost us. They only give a high and a low monthly cost based on the past 12 months. The lowest month was $70, which was about what I was expecting, but the highest month was $250 which seems...high. But I've never had to pay utilities before.

It's a single story house, probably around 1300 sq feet, not terribly big. It's year-round cool so there's no need for any cooling in the summer. In the winter the lows are generally in the low 40s. Unfortunately I don't remember any specifics about the appliances, and of course we have no way of knowing what the current tenant is doing...for all we know she's keeping it at a steamy 82 degrees in there all winter.

Is it reasonable to think that three conscientious renters could keep the power bill consistently closer to that $70 figure?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

RabbitMage posted:

PG&E

I live in a one story house about that size and get utilities through PG&E. Our summer bills are typically $35-45, while our highest winter bill was $235, and that was with our heat set to 70 degrees 24/7 because we had a newborn. It was cheaper when we set it to 68 daytime, 64 nighttime.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Those temps sound find to me. I know when my family moved into the house we're in now my bedroom had no insulation and no vent into the room, and I managed through colder winters with that simply using a space heater...maybe that's a more economical option, too?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

RabbitMage posted:

Speaking of energy usage (I'm pretending that's what we were talking about, anyway), I just got off the phone with PG&E about what the new place will cost us. They only give a high and a low monthly cost based on the past 12 months. The lowest month was $70, which was about what I was expecting, but the highest month was $250 which seems...high. But I've never had to pay utilities before.

It's a single story house, probably around 1300 sq feet, not terribly big. It's year-round cool so there's no need for any cooling in the summer. In the winter the lows are generally in the low 40s. Unfortunately I don't remember any specifics about the appliances, and of course we have no way of knowing what the current tenant is doing...for all we know she's keeping it at a steamy 82 degrees in there all winter.

Is it reasonable to think that three conscientious renters could keep the power bill consistently closer to that $70 figure?
Climate control is going to be by far the largest component of your utility bill. So, what you can get away with will depend upon your house's collective temperature tolerance. With my first roommate, we kept our electric bill ridiculously low simply by sticking the thermostat at 55 all winter (basically so the pipes wouldn't freeze if it ever got that cold), and just putting on a sweater if we were cold.

Not so much with my second roommate; our bill literally quadrupled (well, from "ridiculously loving low" to "about what you're talking about paying in a cheap month"). Also keep in mind that what people say they're willing to tolerate and what they're willing to tolerate in practice are frequently two completely different things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Sure, but a $20 thermostat will let you do that with simple time programming. I mean I guess it might be worth it if you have no set schedule and could be coming and going at any time during the day, but that's a pretty niche need.

Oddly that does sort of kind of apply to me, but only in the sense that my time of arrival home from work is "late". Varies between 3 PM and 9:30 and all points in between. I guess whether it's worth it to get a wifi stat depends on how much I'd really save per month :v:

So anyway, does anyone know if there are different kinds of wiring I need to watch out for? I'm getting the impression that really any thermostat will work, just with some of the plugs in back left undone.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 17, 2013

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Ciaphas posted:

So anyway, does anyone know if there are different kinds of wiring I need to watch out for? I'm getting the impression that really any thermostat will work, just with some of the plugs in back left undone.

That's basically right, I've changed thermostats probably 5 times in my life and never had one be incompatible.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, that's great to know. I probably will end up with one of those online ones from Honeywell, because A) the aforementioned variable-as-hell schedule, and B) I'm a nerd :v:

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, that's great to know. I probably will end up with one of those online ones from Honeywell, because A) the aforementioned variable-as-hell schedule, and B) I'm a nerd :v:

I have the Honeywell Vision Pro stat and it works great. I have it on a timed schedule but I can also use the app to boost the juice or cancel the schedule if I need to.

That said, if I could buy another stat, I'd buy a used first-generation Nest from eBay because it's about the same price, but the industrial design is 1000x better, if looks mean anything to you.

Either way, you need to make sure your system has a wire that supplies constant power to the stat. Read sme basic AC wiring guides for more info.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Keep in mind that the point of a programmable thermostat is to save you money by turning the temp down when your out of the house or are sleeping. Spending 10x as much on a wifi-connected thermostat sort of defeats the purpose. Just get a cheap 5- or 7-day unit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was in Brooklyn last week and I've been thinking a lot about window AC units. All the ones I saw there and have seen on previous visits seem to be tiny and underpowered. Is that just a normal NYC thing?

My real question is, what kind of things can I use to fill in the space that my window unit's awful sidepieces don't cover? There are real gaps between the unit on the bottom and the sides, big enough that I can see outside and bugs can enter.

edit: I just checked, thanks to a sneaking suspicion, and I did ask the exact same question in May last year. I can't seem to remember at all what I did last summer, or what advice was given. I'm sorry for repeating myself and not learning any lessons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

Keep in mind that the point of a programmable thermostat is to save you money by turning the temp down when your out of the house or are sleeping. Spending 10x as much on a wifi-connected thermostat sort of defeats the purpose. Just get a cheap 5- or 7-day unit.
Noted. There's only $25 or so in it between programmable and wifi, though, but we'll see what I find.

Might be moot though, since I just noticed that all the wifi ones require a dedicated "C" line (whatever the hell that is) for power, and my current thermostat has two AA batteries under the cover, so I presume (but can't check) that there's no power leading to it. :shrug:

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Ciaphas posted:

Noted. There's only $25 or so in it between programmable and wifi, though, but we'll see what I find.

Might be moot though, since I just noticed that all the wifi ones require a dedicated "C" line (whatever the hell that is) for power, and my current thermostat has two AA batteries under the cover, so I presume (but can't check) that there's no power leading to it. :shrug:

The C line is simply a constant 24v feed from your AC system, used to power the stat's display and wifi radio. Some wifi stats will allow you to plug them in via a wall wart. Some will take batteries, but they won't last long.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

My real question is, what kind of things can I use to fill in the space that my window unit's awful sidepieces don't cover? There are real gaps between the unit on the bottom and the sides, big enough that I can see outside and bugs can enter.

We just bought an AC, and it came with some strips of foam like you use for weather-stripping. It was actually intended to plug the gap between the window panels when installing, but we had plenty left over and I don't see why you couldn't use that to fill any gaps. Although I think that a properly fitted and installed unit shouldn't leave any gaps at all (ours doesn't).

Are you planning on leaving the unit in place? Or pulling it at the end of summer? If you're going to be pulling it out, anything more serious than foam-stuffing is probably not worth it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

cheerfullydrab posted:

I was in Brooklyn last week and I've been thinking a lot about window AC units. All the ones I saw there and have seen on previous visits seem to be tiny and underpowered. Is that just a normal NYC thing?

edit: I just checked, thanks to a sneaking suspicion, and I did ask the exact same question in May last year. I can't seem to remember at all what I did last summer, or what advice was given. I'm sorry for repeating myself and not learning any lessons.
Why do you think the window ACs are "tiny and underpowered"? Have you been in the apartments and noticed they're hot, or do window units just look small from the street? Because New York apartments are pretty small, and as long as you get a window unit with the correct BTU, you can definitely be comfortable with one.

It's not normal to rely on your AC's wings (but it's also not normal for those wings to have huge gaps, I suspect poor installation). Go to Home Depot and look at all the stuff in their AC area other than AC units. There are plenty of foam snakes, squares, wings, you name it. If hot air is getting through, let alone bugs, something is wrong for sure.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Holy poo poo, I just got an electric bill for 163$ for my tiny apartment. This is very obviously a mistake, but I couldn't find a math flaw anywhere on the bill. I'm assuming they misread the meter. I'm going to poke around the boiler room in my basement and see if I can find my meter.

Has anyone had this poo poo happen to them? Theres no way in hell I'm using that much electricity by myself, regardless of how Hot it is. My electric company is Nstar if that is relevant. I sent them an angry email, and if they dont respond by the end of the day I'm just calling them because this is absurd.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got an electric bill for 163$ for my tiny apartment. This is very obviously a mistake, but I couldn't find a math flaw anywhere on the bill. I'm assuming they misread the meter. I'm going to poke around the boiler room in my basement and see if I can find my meter.

Has anyone had this poo poo happen to them? Theres no way in hell I'm using that much electricity by myself, regardless of how Hot it is. My electric company is Nstar if that is relevant. I sent them an angry email, and if they dont respond by the end of the day I'm just calling them because this is absurd.

Is that $163 for the quarter? Doesn't sound too outrageous to me, but rates might be a bit higher where I am and I'm stuck with an electric stove/oven.

(My bill normally comes in at 200-250)

VVV Well poo poo, for the month then yeah you've definitely got some issues! I've always been billed quarterly for power.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 19, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Is that $163 for the quarter? Doesn't sound too outrageous to me, but rates might be a bit higher where I am and I'm stuck with an electric stove/oven.

(My bill normally comes in at 200-250)

For the month, specifically 32 days.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Where are you located? Different places have different rates. I'm in NYC and gas+electric for my small apartment is $90-130/month. It's bullshit (especially compared to the bill for my last place) but ConEd won't send anyone to investigate.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 19, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jet Set Jettison posted:

For the month, specifically 32 days.

Is your AC running constantly?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
That's what my bill was this month but I have two window ac units running and a dehumidifier in the basement running 24/7... Speaking of the dehumidifier, it's my landlords and he hasn't offered to reimburse me for the electrical bill on it. What's a reasonable amount to ask for? Not sure how much those things cost to run per month.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You're in Mass, right? We have NStar as well, and it usually runs $40-50 for a 2+ bd in an oldass building. I'm expecting the next bill to be higher because we got an AC to stave off the heat at the moment.

Is this your first bill for the place? Or have you had previous bills that were fine and then this was out of control? If it's your first bill, it's possible that the meter is right and there is something crazy going on with your apartment (or that they decided to tack on some outstanding charges for the address and hope you would pay it)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ashcans posted:

You're in Mass, right? We have NStar as well, and it usually runs $40-50 for a 2+ bd in an oldass building. I'm expecting the next bill to be higher because we got an AC to stave off the heat at the moment.

Is this your first bill for the place? Or have you had previous bills that were fine and then this was out of control? If it's your first bill, it's possible that the meter is right and there is something crazy going on with your apartment (or that they decided to tack on some outstanding charges for the address and hope you would pay it)

My first bill was 29$ for 12 days, so at the same daily usage rate for 32 days it would have cost 77$. This bill is just out of control.

I do have the AC running a lot, but probably only one or two of the days did I have everything run 24/7. This week's heat wave is making me concerned for future bills :ohdear:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Do you know if your utility charges extra for using more than the previous month?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that electric rates go up with increased usage.

Which is to say that the first kilowatt hour you use is usually much, much cheaper than the last kilowatt hour you use. So, if you double your usage (entirely possible during a heat wave if you're running the AC a lot), you can easily triple or quadruple your bill. Some power companies also adjust rates based on time of usage (i.e. electricity used during the hottest part of the day costs more than electricity used in the middle of the night).

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Keep in mind that electric rates go up with increased usage.

Which is to say that the first kilowatt hour you use is usually much, much cheaper than the last kilowatt hour you use. So, if you double your usage (entirely possible during a heat wave if you're running the AC a lot), you can easily triple or quadruple your bill. Some power companies also adjust rates based on time of usage (i.e. electricity used during the hottest part of the day costs more than electricity used in the middle of the night).

Looking at my bill (also NSTAR) I don't see any increase in rates for use and I've been using a lot over the last few months because of the heat (I like cold)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

It very well could be real, I've paid around $130 a month forever.

Ciaphas posted:

A lot of thermostats have batteries they don't need for systems that don't have a c line or don't use the c line for power. Mine takes batteries but has been happily running without them for like 7 years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The maintenance guy went in today and tried to hook up the new thermostat and couldn't find a common line at all, so I'll probably have to return that one tonight and get one that doesn't require it. I'll take a look for myself though since according to Honeywell the "G" line can be used instead if available.

Electricity is loving weird, I feel so stupid trying to look at this stuff (which is why I asked the maintenance guy to do it even though it's only like four or five goddamn wires). :(

Also I just checked my running electricity total and I'm at $85 of use 12 days into the billing cycle in a 1000 sqft apartment :pwn:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 20, 2013

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
I'm moving out of my apartment over the next week and I was thinking about leaving my couch there because I don't have room to bring it back (not worth renting a truck for either). There's nothing in my lease about left furniture. Do I have to worry about the landlord taking money out of my deposit if I do this? The couch is in good condition and isn't a piece of junk.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know where you are, but in general a landlord is allowed to draw against your deposit to bring the apartment back to the state in which you rented it, minus regular wear and tear. This would usually include removal of trash or abandoned items you have left behind. If you just left behind a trash bag or something, that would be one thing, but it's entirely reasonable for the landlord to get rid of your lovely old couch before someone else moves in (would you move into a place with a leftover couch hanging around?) For a couch it's very likely they would need to hire someone to do it, and it would be fair to bill you for it.

Just find out what the trash policies are for your area and drop it on the curb to get hauled away.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

DanManIt posted:

I'm moving out of my apartment over the next week and I was thinking about leaving my couch there because I don't have room to bring it back (not worth renting a truck for either). There's nothing in my lease about left furniture. Do I have to worry about the landlord taking money out of my deposit if I do this? The couch is in good condition and isn't a piece of junk.

A lot of charities offer pick up services. Or just sell it on Craigslist and tell the buyer they are responsible to take it with them. List it for free if you really don't care.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ciaphas posted:

Also I just checked my running electricity total and I'm at $85 of use 12 days into the billing cycle in a 1000 sqft apartment :pwn:

When you said small I thought you meant like a studio/500-600 sqft place, 1000 sqft is a good sized apartment, that's the size of like a normal middle class two bedroom house.

That's like a completely average bill for an apartment that size, maybe on the low end with this heat wave. I pay $130 a month for my 1000 sqft place and that doesn't include air conditioning, in my last place my bill would easily go into the $200s in the summer. Where are you getting your expected charges from, the apartment? They lie, they lie bad on electric costs, take whatever number they tell you and double it and then add some.

Edit: Crossed your post with someone else but my point still stands, that is completely normal for an apartment that size.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 20, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Might be. Last year I lived in an apartment of similar size and the bill would have been closer to $160 instead of the $250 I'm facing. Then again last year it was a little cooler here (I'm in Las Vegas) so maybe I'm overthinking it. :v:

Incidentally since you asked, I checked the current expenditure on the NVenergy web site. We have smart meters so it gives me the straight answer, near as I've been able to tell.

I took a look and I can in fact wire the thermostat I've currently got using the "G" wire (independent fan control) instead of the "C" wire into the C terminal. I lose the ability to switch the fan on without turning on the heat/cooling, but I have never used that ever, so no great loss.

I'm spooked by electricity though so I just want to make sure on something. If I turn off the A/C / furnace at either the breaker, or at the switch above the furnace, all of the wires leading to the thermostat are dead, making it safe to work with, right? (edit: forgot I had a voltmeter, so I checked for myself, it is indeed safe with the furnace switched off)

I mean at least it's not usually humid here, but still, 117 degrees a couple weeks ago. Eesh.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 20, 2013

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~
Yeah I regularly pay $110 a month for a 660 square foot apartment. Your bill seems normal.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyone have any advice for apartment hunting while in the US for Europe? Specifically the Netherlands? How do I not get screwed out of a deposit with someone? What is a reputable site to use? Any tips in general for this sort of thing ?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Just checking, but if I'm renting a townhome and the complex sends somebody unannounced to enter my unit, they're supposed to notify me first, right? Luckily I was home, but someone knocked on the door, I looked through the peephole, didn't recognize him, and just went back into my room (we get a lot of solicitors). A few seconds later the man unlocked the door, and came in despite my dog barking and growling his fool head off. I know for a fact you can hear the barking clear as day from across the street let alone on the other side of the door. I came out of my room like "um, HELLO?" when I heard the door open, and there's the guy standing in my doorway looking like a deer in headlights and my dog out on the sidewalk staring at him with hair on end growling. The man says "sorry he got out but I didn't want him to bite me." I grabbed my dog, mumbled something about no one notified me of anyone coming, and I dragged my dog into the back yard. Apparently the man was here to measure for new countertops. My lease isn't up for another 3 1/2 weeks, and no one has said a word about coming into my apartment for renovation planning or whatever.

I've made several maintenance requests while living here (1.5 years) and each time I've requested that they let me know ahead of time when they are coming because I need to make arrangements for my very territorial dog. I've been bitten by him just trying to answer the door for the FedEx man, and we are working on training, but he's not ready for random strangers to enter the house like that. I'm just so upset that if I wasn't home, at best case my dog would have been lost out of the apartment, and worst case he would have bitten the man and whatever consequences come from that. Ugh.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Basically, the only time that the landlord can allow people (including themselves) to enter your unit without notice is if there is a pressing emergency - like your pipes have burst, it's on fire, they believe there is a child trapped in your furnace, etc. Anything else requires them to notify you.

In most places, if a landlord provides someone with access to your unit, the landlord becomes equally liable for any damage or harm caused - meaning that if they give a builder a key and that person steals your poo poo/trashes your stuff, you can pursue both the person AND your landlord for damages. This is an incentive for them to ensure they are respecting the security of tenants.

I would recommend that you double-check to make sure this is true in your area. If it is, you should let your landlord know that you are pissed about this and intend to hold them to the letter of the law (for instance, suing them if some rear end in a top hat lets your dog out and it gets hurt). Given that you have a dog, you should probably tell the landlord that you explicitly do not want anyone visiting when you are not there to ensure the safe handling and treatment of your animal, as this person was clearly and willfully incompetent about it.

You're only there for another month, going balls-out can't hurt you too much. Just make sure you document your leaving for security deposit reasons, as that's always the last-gasp of landlord pissiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

drat Bananas posted:

Just checking, but if I'm renting a townhome and the complex sends somebody unannounced to enter my unit, they're supposed to notify me first, right? Luckily I was home, but someone knocked on the door, I looked through the peephole, didn't recognize him, and just went back into my room (we get a lot of solicitors). A few seconds later the man unlocked the door, and came in despite my dog barking and growling his fool head off. I know for a fact you can hear the barking clear as day from across the street let alone on the other side of the door. I came out of my room like "um, HELLO?" when I heard the door open, and there's the guy standing in my doorway ling like a deer in headlights and my dog out on the sidewalk staring at him with hair on end growling. The man says "sorry he got out but I didn't want him to bite me." I grabbed my dog, mumbled something about no one notified me of anyone coming, and I dragged my dog into the back yard. Apparently the man was here to measure for new countertops. My lease isn't up for another 3 1/2 weeks, and no one has said a word about coming into my apartment for renovation planning or whatever.

I've made several maintenance requests while living here (1.5 years) and each time I've requested that they let me know ahead of time when they are coming because I need to make arrangements for my very territorial dog. I've been bitten by him just trying to answer the door for the FedEx man, and we are working on training, but he's not ready for random strangers to enter the house like that. I'm just so upset that if I wasn't home, at best case my dog would have been lost out of the apartment, and worst case he would have bitten the man and whatever consequences come from that. Ugh.

Yes, that is highly illegal and they can (and should) get into big trouble for that.