Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nice job!

More coats probably wouldn't help much; the downsides to acrylic are that it chips easily and takes the longest to cure. But that's what top coat is for! Just spray on a flat coat or whatever once the paint is dry and all the decals are set and you should be good.

As for which paint you use, it really depends on how you paint/how long you want to wait. I use acrylic (Tamiya/Games Workshop) too since I don't have an air brush and don't have a source of enamels nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

Enamels are pretty forgiving considering their long dry times, so spraying or brushing it is pretty easy. All you need to do is just keep dust off while its drying and make sure your work space is well ventilated.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the rule about using enamels and acrylics on the same kit? acrylics down first then enamel?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Other way 'round.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: Progress!

http://imgur.com/E7ISLB9,bLFFMJv

This is SO satisfying to build after doing ZZ.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 15, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

muike posted:

What's the rule about using enamels and acrylics on the same kit? acrylics down first then enamel?

Enamel first because once it's dried that means you can acrylic to your hearts content and wipe it away with water before it's dry and it won't touch the enamel at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Right right, that makes sense. I'm not likely to use both on something any time soon, but I wasn't sure if I remembered the order correctly.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Bit of a strange request today; I bought the MG Sinanju OVA version but also picked up the ver Ka version decal set. However, I've no idea where they'll go. To anyone who has the ver Ka Sinanju: would you be so kind as to upload a picture or scan or something of the last page of the manual? I may not use all the decals or even any of them, but having the possibility would be nice. I've Googled 'Sinanju ver ka manual' and 'Sinanju ver ka decal map' and other similar queries to no avail.

e: Huh, I had looked for it on dalong but clearly I didn't look hard enough. Thanks!

Oblique Angle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 16, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://dalong.net/review/mg/m116/m116_i.htm#m - scroll down to get your pictures.

Edit: Lots of pictures coming in now showing off Daban's PG Strike Freedom. It's a drat good thing i'm not a SF fan cause it looks pretty drat good: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.291980387612048.1073741905.128256963984392&type=1

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 17, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pre-orders for the coming HGs are up on AmiAmi.

Wing
DX
Victory
Build Strike
Zaku Amazing
Gundam X Maou
Amazing Booster
Build Booster

The Victory is only 870 yen, get it while you can.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do i want a HG victory, isnt it going to be like 4 inches tall?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Four and a half, exclamation point!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

What's the alternative? the MG that's garbage?

http://imgur.com/q6FmIDI,v0dOq0s

An amazing build so far, but holy gently caress that poo poo was hard to get on his arms.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ah, I see you've already put him in his final pose :v:

But seriously his arms will just sink back to that position with all the crap on them. Also, don't extend his ankle psychoframe if you're intending on his legs supporting his weight.

e:V Nope! :v:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

What's the alternative? the MG that's garbage?

http://imgur.com/q6FmIDI,v0dOq0s

An amazing build so far, but holy gently caress that poo poo was hard to get on his arms.

Can the arms be posed in any way that doesn't cause them to sag under gravity? :magical:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ignimbrite posted:

Ah, I see you've already put him in his final pose :v:

But seriously his arms will just sink back to that position with all the crap on them. Also, don't extend his ankle psychoframe if you're intending on his legs supporting his weight.

I'm not delusional. I put him on that action base for a reason and that's where he is staying.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can the arms be posed in any way that doesn't cause them to sag under gravity? :magical:

The arms are slightly bent at the elbow, but don't even try bending the arms around the shoulder joint.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The V Gundam will probably be an okay, if really small and simple kit. The main reason the MG is so poo poo, after all, is because they tried to fit all of its transformation gimmicks into such a small frame. I seriously doubt they'd attempt to do the same thing in an HG kit. Plus it's super-cheap, so I might get one on that basis alone. Maybe even a handful of them if I do like it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Jesus Christ. So ELYN, the people responsible for 1/100 Kshatriya, have decided on what their next project will be...1/100 Deep Striker Ex-S: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151702309986897&set=a.427166996896.193543.382602901896&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

The V Gundam will probably be an okay, if really small and simple kit.

Actually the thing supposedly has eight runners. It's probably going to be a partformer, or there's going to be some really good color separation going on. Or maybe Bandai isn't going to be cheap and is including the Dash parts alre- hahahahahaha of course not.

Fauxtool posted:

Because it's HG Victory and cheap as hell. Also because the All Gundam project is actually pretty neat and something worth supporting.

EDIT: Yeah looking at this thing,

I have no idea how it'd have more than like, four/five runners. Maybe the included Core Fighter's going to be actually good?

EDIT 2: V Hahahaha no. You're getting your V2 Assault and V2 Buster separately, and you're going to like it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 18, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am praying that they make a v2 assault buster, I would preorder that in a heartbeat.

... I'm still getting the regular v2 as well. Man that suit is awesome.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wonder if we'll get any kits that aren't 1/144 from the line explicitly centered around 1/144 kits? I hope they do the thing from that new game (gundam breaker maybe?) where you're playing as a 1/144 and you fight giant 1/100 scale and 1/66 scale suits as bosses. The whole show is about virtual reality model kit combat anyway, if they don't end the series with a fight to the death against a perfect grade Zeong or something I'll be disappointed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesus Christ. So ELYN, the people responsible for 1/100 Kshatriya, have decided on what their next project will be...1/100 Deep Striker Ex-S: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151702309986897&set=a.427166996896.193543.382602901896&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

They kinda need to get the Kshatriya out the door first.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They already did, though? Or are you talking about how it was kind of eh.

Also word has it that after the Deep Striker will be the Xi Gundam.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What the gently caress is THIS?! http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/hguc-1144-unicorn-gundam-unit-3.html

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's bandai milking all they can out of that unicorn mold.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is it bad that the combination of name and color scheme made me think of the Protoss?

...I actually kinda want that now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://imgur.com/wRL1KTb,0QwoIvy,SWP8v6T

"Eat your vegetables."
"Y-y-y-yes sir."

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
E:Totally wrong thread.

dbzfandiego fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 20, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Fauxtool posted:

I actually looked it up once, and Victory suits are only a little shorter than most AU suits :ssh:

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Who can guess what this weekend's project is?

Tough one, I know. :v:
I'm still not sure why I did both Striker packs; it's not like I'll be using the Aile for anything. Oh well, it'll look nice at least.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a jacket that looks like this except its reversible with the banshee color scheme on the inside. It also has alot more colored stripes on the arms and hood

I thought it would be made by Cospa but I cant find it at their store in Akihabara or the gundam store at Diver City.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Are you saying that what you're looking for is a real jacket that you've seen, and you're looking for the source, or are you saying you'd like one made that way, and looking for someone to make it for you/wondering if it exists, but you don't know for sure?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have seen it in pictures being worn by one of the producers of Unicorn when it was doing the museum tours in Japan. I think it was reversible because you could see the inside of the hood had the banshee colors

specifically these

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 22, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I have seen it in pictures being worn by one of the producers of Unicorn when it was doing the museum tours in Japan. I think it was reversible because you could see the inside of the hood had the banshee colors

specifically these

There's a decent chance the one you want was a limited run and the first one you posted was the one they sold to everyone. Like everything else Gundam, the prototype is always better than the mass production model. :v:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

There's a decent chance the one you want was a limited run and the first one you posted was the one they sold to everyone. Like everything else Gundam, the prototype is always better than the mass production model. :v:

But like everything limited release in Japan, you can always find it brand new in a second hand shop. I just need to know what it's called to find it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Looks to me like the jackets the producers are wearing is based on the unicorn/banshee pilot suits, whereas that first hoodie is based on the unicorn itself. Might be helpful to find it.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I put together RG Freedom this weekend. It was a really fun build, up until The wings/decals :v:. The guy who mentioned getting an action base was probably right on the money, because drat is that thing back heavy. It felt initially really small, but then I remembered my others are all 1/100, aside from Sazabi, and Sazabi's a huge suit, so even at 1/144 it's practically bigger than its 1/100 peers.

I did about 10 of the bigger decals on Freedom (and important ones, like the glowing eyes) and then got frustrated and quit because there were like 110 tiny stickers, and each one was an exercise in frustration. Do most of you guys put those all on? I just don't have the patience for it, since it's kind of something I do when bored at work with downtime, so I kind of do a quick/sloppy job on a lot of them.

One thing I wasn't sure about was this: This instruction came about at 9/10ths of the way done. I wasn't sure why it was at that point, since the legs were done and getting access to the inner waist was near impossible. Anyone know what it wants me to do here?

I can only think it has something to do with the action base, but I have no idea how they would expect me to do that step when it's completely assembled.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
HELL AND HEAVEN!

GEMU GIRU GAN GO GUFO

This was a relaxing build after doing FA Unicorn Gundam. I'm happy with how it turned out considering it's a third-party kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I can only think it has something to do with the action base, but I have no idea how they would expect me to do that step when it's completely assembled.

That's a little thing for adding some mobility to the legs. You remove the lock holding the 'joint' in place, swing the joint down, and lock it back into place. Generally I think it's something they put in there to make it easier to put the suit into some dynamic action poses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

HELL AND HEAVEN!

GEMU GIRU GAN GO GUFO

This was a relaxing build after doing FA Unicorn Gundam. I'm happy with how it turned out considering it's a third-party kit.

I would do terrible, terrible things to get a non SD, genesic gaogair kit.

• Locked thread