Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

The sad part of this is that Fanatiq is literally the entire reason that almost anyone who owns an AGE product actually owns one. Say what you want about him being obnoxious about promo codes, he did end up selling a lot of products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Shiki Dan posted:

$5700 for winning the world championship of a 1600-player tournament stacked with most of the absolute best players on the planet is ridiculously low.

Also the biggest game tournament in the world still only paying out to Top 8 is a joke. Given the level of competition, getting to Top 64 in a 1000+ entrant tourney at EVO is the equivalent of winning a major.
Especially when EVO has historically made money off those players with stream viewership and DVDs (I don't know if EVO still sells DVDs of finals, though).

You're complaining about the top payout being too small while also wanting them to pay out top 64? The reason first place got paid less this year than most is because they increased the payouts for the lower placings in top 8. Imagine how little first place would've gotten if they paid out top 64.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You're complaining about the top payout being too small while also wanting them to pay out top 64? The reason first place got paid less this year than most is because they increased the payouts for the lower placings in top 8. Imagine how little first place would've gotten if they paid out top 64.
I think he's saying just the overall pot should be bigger, which, with the level of competition that was on display at this year's Evo, it really should. The AE finals hit something like 120,000 simultaneous viewers, the UMvC3 ones even went to something like 180,000, on twitch alone ... what kinds of viewership numbers does, say, LoL get, actually? Most of the numbers I can seem to find for LoL just now by googling seem to be cumulative "unique" # of viewers, which are also much higher (and in the millions) for the EVO streams, but are frankly a lot less significant, but looking at Wikipedia really quickly just now netted me this quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoL#Tournaments posted:

Over 1.6 million viewers watched streaming broadcast of the event, with a peak of over 210,000 simultaneous viewers in one semi-final match.[16]
Admittely, that was some years ago when LoL wasn't quite as popular yet as it is today, but still according to that same Wiki link that tournament had a top payout of some $50,000, i.e. almost ten times EVO2k13's AE top prize, for what are some fairly similar viewership numbers.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm not sure where you expect money for top 64 to come from while also giving more to top players. Why would capcom give free money to evo, sf4 is four years old at this point and they don't exactly have a related product to make profit on in return right now. Theres no microtransations on the level of LoL, hence why most sponsors are arcade/gaming peripheral suppliers and clothing lines. LoL is huge these days and regular weekend streams have more viewers than FG majors.

Might get more money when fighting games inevitably go the way of microtransations in the next generation and there's a more reliable income stream to encourage companies staying involved.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 18, 2013

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Man, how would you even microtransact fighting games? Pay for characters? Could something like that actually become accepted enough by the community to become profitable though?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Aren't costumes micro-transactions?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Pay 50 cents every time you go to play online. You get character locked, and sent to arcade mode while waiting for an opponent.

Winner stays, loser pays. :colbert:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Superstring posted:

Man, how would you even microtransact fighting games? Pay for characters? Could something like that actually become accepted enough by the community to become profitable though?

The answers, generally speaking, are "yes" and "gently caress the community".

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Zeus vs. Sanford in AE Grand Finals at NLBC was a really good set.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

itskage posted:

Pay 50 cents every time you go to play online. You get character locked, and sent to arcade mode while waiting for an opponent.

Winner stays, loser pays. :colbert:

Which then advances a pay-to-win gems scheme where every few months better gems are released.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

PrBacterio posted:

I think he's saying just the overall pot should be bigger, which, with the level of competition that was on display at this year's Evo, it really should. The AE finals hit something like 120,000 simultaneous viewers, the UMvC3 ones even went to something like 180,000, on twitch alone ... what kinds of viewership numbers does, say, LoL get, actually? Most of the numbers I can seem to find for LoL just now by googling seem to be cumulative "unique" # of viewers, which are also much higher (and in the millions) for the EVO streams, but are frankly a lot less significant, but looking at Wikipedia really quickly just now netted me this quote:

Admittely, that was some years ago when LoL wasn't quite as popular yet as it is today, but still according to that same Wiki link that tournament had a top payout of some $50,000, i.e. almost ten times EVO2k13's AE top prize, for what are some fairly similar viewership numbers.

League of Legends regularly pulls over 100,000 simultaneous viewers like every weekend. I know the LCS game on Saturday opposite EVO was sitting around 120,000. And that's a weekly thing. The viewership there is kinda insane. Also, the 'grand finals' for their Season 2 was last October. It had 1.1 million concurrent views.

Edit: More research shows that the average LCS games (which are weekly during the season) pull 150,000 viewers.

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 18, 2013

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Haha, WNF is showing competitive DDR, featuring Chris G.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Super Rad posted:

Which then advances a pay-to-win gems scheme where every few months better gems are released.

Well they are already trying that :v:

Honestly a pay per play / old school arcade mode could be pretty neat if they made the game free. Then you could insert coins to play single player, online, versus. Play as much as you want to pay, but keep a $60 full version for people that want to commit to and own the game. Maybe lock training mode, costumes, and some of the other stuff behind the full version.

It could potentially open up the door to people that just want to try it, without dropping $60. If you can capture a lot of micro-transactions from people that would never have bought the game in the first place, then it could be a lucrative way to structure the business model. If the player base hates it and nobody uses it, then it's okay because you are still offering the business as usual option at $60.

Could even sweeten the pot and make a character free to play. Rotate it LoL style or something.

Also the costumes market could be pretty big. The problem I have right now is they always push packs with a bunch of costumes for high prices. If they just did straight character a la carte like Awesomenauts or something, then offer packs at lower prices overall I think they will have something. SF4 and MVC3 are really missing a pricing bracket in that regard.

The biggest problem there is that it's a console game. The idea of pushing out new costumes frequently is not practical. Mainly due to Microsoft :doom:, but also from the compatibility patches you'd need to push out for them.

If the games were PC focused like the big e-sports titles, then it would be another story, and then maybe we would see some more support from the publishers for the major tournaments, and pot bonuses.

Hopefully the next gen will address this somehow, but I just don't know.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

kaujot posted:

Zeus vs. Sanford in AE Grand Finals at NLBC was a really good set.

they put on a clinic...and ruined my poor schedule.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

AkumaHokoru posted:

they put on a clinic...and ruined my poor schedule.

Where can I place salty bets on the timeliness with which NLBC finishes every week.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Brett824 posted:

Where can I place salty bets on the timeliness with which NLBC finishes every week.

with me but every bet is a loss as i'm always salty.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

itskage posted:

Honestly a pay per play / old school arcade mode could be pretty neat if they made the game free.

This is what Tekken Revolution is. It's an interesting experiment, but most people think it's kind of terrible.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Brosnan posted:

This is what Tekken Revolution is. It's an interesting experiment, but most people think it's kind of terrible.

Wow, I didn't even know that existed.

Looking over it though, it looks like it's pretty terrible for a lot more reasons than the pay method. Stat leveling, removing a lot of the bound system, new special arts and critical arts? It doesn't even look like what Tekken players want. Like they just threw a bunch of ideas they had into it, so now when it fails they won't know which ideas were good and what was bad.

I think for this pay per play model to work, it needs to be the full version of the real game. The one that you'll see people playing at tournaments, and not some weird spin off. Then you just offer the pay to play system as an alternative to dropping $60 on it.

Basically, I like TTT2, but not only have I never heard of Tekken Revolution, after reading the description I don't know any desire to ever try it. Like you said it's an experiement, but hopefully it flopping won't deter someone else from trying to do this the right way.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The whole point of getting a fighting game for your home system was supposed to be to NOT spend a quarter every play. Any kind of pay to play fighter, even only a few cents a play, would end up easily costing players far more than just buying the drat game.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Maybe they could make it so once you spent $60 in quarters it just unlocked the game for you. I wonder if that would get $5-$10 from a significant number of people who might not otherwise put up full price to try it out.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
It does seem pretty dumb that EVO prize pools are so low while they're funneling stream sub revenue into a scholarship for people who are already enrolled in the NYU game design program and will more than likely end up doing QA for cell phone games their entire career and never be in a position to do anything for the FGC.

I guess maybe it'd be seen as too "esports" but I think it'd do more for the tournament's image and the scene if they could hand Xian a huge parody check for 25k to go with his medal and trophy instead of giving scholarships to people who're already well off enough to be enrolled at a 40k a year college.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Tekken Revolution is actually pretty fun as a chill and gently caress around kind of game.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Chin posted:

It does seem pretty dumb that EVO prize pools are so low while they're funneling stream sub revenue into a scholarship for people who are already enrolled in the NYU game design program and will more than likely end up doing QA for cell phone games their entire career and never be in a position to do anything for the FGC.

I guess maybe it'd be seen as too "esports" but I think it'd do more for the tournament's image and the scene if they could hand Xian a huge parody check for 25k to go with his medal and trophy instead of giving scholarships to people who're already well off enough to be enrolled at a 40k a year college.

I literally have no idea what you think that will actually accomplish, do you think that sponsors will start flocking when they see that there's a bigger prizepool? It's already an incredibly high profile fighting game event in the games media, people watch it for the prestige and the hype and all the top players attend regardless. I don't see why Xian should be rewarded more than the money in the pot, if a company wants to donate a pot bonus then great but it's certainly not up to EVO to take money from the entrance fee and donate it to a specific game, if you don't agree with the scholarships then the entrance fee should be reduced or it should be spent on a different charitable cause, but there's literally no benefit to giving it to any of the tournament winners other than some really really really really retarded idea that they deserve it because other games with much more sponsorship revenue do it.

I don't get where the idea that top players are entitled to make a living (and apparently an incredibly risky one that relies on winning one tournament with a heavily inflated first place prize) from playing games even if there aren't revenue streams to support it. The FGC is the way it is because it's very hard to sponsor products to, although monitor manufacturers really should look into it more (they do sponsor european events generally), it's not because it's too rowdy or because it's not getting enough exposure, at least at the big majors. Well that and that the vast majority of companies that sponsor competitive gaming in general have they marketing heavily geared to middle class white males and feel it's too risky to try advertising to the FGC because of the misunderstood reasoning for the general distrust of all things esports.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

brian posted:

The FGC is the way it is because it's very hard to sponsor products to, although monitor manufacturers really should look into it more

Then again it's pretty likely that people already have at least a 720p TV at home, which is all you need in the current gen. Also next gen for fighting games is already going to poo poo with KI being an exclusive title (and not even a timed exclusive) and Capcom not even working on anything.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Double Bill posted:

Then again it's pretty likely that people already have at least a 720p TV at home, which is all you need in the current gen. Also next gen for fighting games is already going to poo poo with KI being an exclusive title (and not even a timed exclusive) and Capcom not even working on anything.

I think the need for low input lag monitors being very real for any of the good games is a very easy USP and something people in the FGC want, case in point being the popularity of displaylag.com.

Also KI is a joke of a game so it's not really an indication of anything and I heavily doubt Capcom aren't working on anything but it's very silly to speculate either way.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Brett824 posted:

The sad part of this is that Fanatiq is literally the entire reason that almost anyone who owns an AGE product actually owns one. Say what you want about him being obnoxious about promo codes, he did end up selling a lot of products.

Sure, he's managed to get AGE products sold with his apparent shtick of plugging in promo codes at inopportune times, but someone else could have easily done a much better job. Fanatiq used to be my favorite marvel player, but he hasn't taken the game seriously in forever, and as of late all I see from him is drama and gambling. ChrisG, while being the star player, does little outside of wearing too many headsets at once and has a personality that ranges from super chill to that of a constipated brick during tournaments. He's undeniably a talented player, but that by itself won't convince me to buy stuff from your sponsor. If anything, it's thanks to those two that I've never bought an AGE product.

apple fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 18, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

apple posted:

If anything, it's thanks to those two that I've never bought an AGE product.

You mean you don't have a constant need for everything you wear on your head to be glowing?

I would hope Chris G's immediate reaction to AGE being disbanded was "thank god I don't have to look like an idiot at tournaments anymore."

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
AGE sponsors Romance in KoF too. I hope he can find another sponsor quickly if they go under :(

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You mean you don't have a constant need for everything you wear on your head to be glowing?

I would hope Chris G's immediate reaction to AGE being disbanded was "thank god I don't have to look like an idiot at tournaments anymore."

They should start marketing those glowing glasses as though the LEDs in the frames let you see through your opponent's mind. You know how you can wear polarized glasses to see fish under the surface of the water on sunny days? Same thing. Except in someone's loving head.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CaptCommy posted:

League of Legends regularly pulls over 100,000 simultaneous viewers like every weekend. I know the LCS game on Saturday opposite EVO was sitting around 120,000. And that's a weekly thing. The viewership there is kinda insane. Also, the 'grand finals' for their Season 2 was last October. It had 1.1 million concurrent views.

Edit: More research shows that the average LCS games (which are weekly during the season) pull 150,000 viewers.

The lol client smashes the stream in your face when you log in, so that's not really a fair comparison to pretty much any game. It gets a shitload of views from people that just watch while queuing for a game.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

The lol client smashes the stream in your face when you log in, so that's not really a fair comparison to pretty much any game. It gets a shitload of views from people that just watch while queuing for a game.

DOTA 2 does the same thing, doesn't it? I haven't played either in a really long time though so I might be off with that.

Either way though, both of those games have a lot of advantages over console releases because they have the capability of doing something like "watch the stream while you wait for a game" which doesn't happen on consoles or with fighters.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Platypus Farm posted:

DOTA 2 does the same thing, doesn't it? I haven't played either in a really long time though so I might be off with that.

Either way though, both of those games have a lot of advantages over console releases because they have the capability of doing something like "watch the stream while you wait for a game" which doesn't happen on consoles or with fighters.

No, I don't think dota 2 does that yet but it's probably coming. You can link your steam and twitch accounts and get the benefits you'd normally get from watching a game in the client on twitch.

PoE added some basic twitch support in the client recently which looks interesting, but I haven't touched that game in forever.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

No, I don't think dota 2 does that yet but it's probably coming. You can link your steam and twitch accounts and get the benefits you'd normally get from watching a game in the client on twitch.

PoE added some basic twitch support in the client recently which looks interesting, but I haven't touched that game in forever.

POE's twitch support is neat. Basically streamers can interact with people watching their streams, and manage all their stream stuff through the game client. But it's really a tool for streamers rather than viewers. Also it's presently got a lot of kinks that are getting worked out like bad performance and bad picture quality. It's definitely a cool start though.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Klaus Kinski posted:

I remember hearing that the lol client did some wacky things to make just having the client open count for their twitch numbers, and I know that when I've seen lol streams they've had plenty of "twitch users" watching with names like aaaaaaaaaaaa01, aaaaaaaaaaab01, etc.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Platypus Farm posted:

Both games make it really easy to watch a random stream via an option from the main menu.

Really I think the biggest factor against fighting games is that it requires money and a console to play whereas the Average Joe can just click "play for free here" for League and I think DOTA2 given the eight million keys around. I imagine there's a lot more interest from most people if you actually play the game.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Platypus Farm posted:

Nah, Valve pushes watching via the ingame client where they get a cut of tickets sold.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dragongem posted:

Both games make it really easy to watch a random stream via an option from the main menu.

Really I think the biggest factor against fighting games is that it requires money and a console to play whereas the Average Joe can just click "play for free here" for League and I think DOTA2 given the eight million keys around. I imagine there's a lot more interest from most people if you actually play the game.

Dota2's free as of a week or two ago.

And yeah, there's so many prerequisites to get into most fighting games. I feel like it would go a lot better if more of them were on PC. I just bought a 360 over the weekend mostly so I can play Marvel and try out other games, and I know multiple people that just don't have (or want to spend) the money to buy even an older console on top of the computer they already have. Especially with the way that steam sales work, it would be much easier to convince a friend to pick up an on-sale game for 20 bucks than to, you know, buy a console.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Double Bill posted:

That doesn't stop people from selling mice or keyboards or better PCs.

Anyway other things that could definitely sell in the FGC:
Low response time TVs/monitors, eye-strain glasses (Gunnars and the like).

IMO microtransactions are the best way to go for a long term competitive game. I still think as long as a fair business model is implemented, F2P with an "unlock eveything" option is the way to go, that or make sure the character content never exceeds say, 80-100 dollars after 2+ years depending on how much stuff there is and you can 100% play offline. Most big companies could just go totally F2P though if they have the resources already (Capcom does, ArcSys doesn't).

anime was right fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 18, 2013

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Waterbed posted:

That doesn't stop people from selling mice or keyboards or better PCs.

Anyway other things that could definitely sell in the FGC:
Low response time TVs/monitors, eye-strain glasses (Gunnars and the like).

IMO microtransactions are the best way to go for a long term competitive game. I still think as long as a fair business model is implemented, F2P with an "unlock eveything" option is the way to go.

Dota2's completely free but works entirely off of cosmetics. That said, Valve Item Barons are insane and every character has multiple item slots that you fill instead, and Dota1 already had plenty of fans that were ready to jump ship, so it's not quite a 1:1 conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
TV/Monitor sponsorships are slowly finding their way into the FGC; I think BenQ gave a bunch of their poo poo to leveluplive recently.