Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Azhais posted:

I think that's more of a "Giada's outfits are a bit pandering" vs Damaris' acting like a lusty southern wench.

My problem with this current bunch of star candidates is none of them other than maybe Nikki really have a decent theme for what they want to do. While I personally have little interest in Nikki's "sorta vegetarian" thing, she can at least speak on camera and has a decent concept for a show since she's been doing one for a while already. Nikki, Stacy, and Chad (and maybe Chris) are about the only ones I could even see myself watching.

I couldn't even tell you what Viet's gimmick was. Lovely's was just dumb. Pie guy that can't make pies isn't really doing it for me and neither is Russel's underground cage food fighting. Overall I found this to be a pretty weak group of contestants.

I honestly have no idea how they got the idea that Damaris was some sort of succubus trying seduce the Food Network viewing audience. I think that was just Damrais trying to be welcoming combined with her natural goofiness. She hasn't done anything I haven't seen on the Neely's and their show was more successful on the food network than any NFNS contestant not named Guy Fieri.

I also think this idea that every contestant has to have a culinary point of view ties into why none of them can find long-term success. Unless that view is incredibly broad, I would imagine that it's quite difficult to keep making good pies for 3 seasons for example. If they can cook and teach well, let them do what they want without pigeonholing them into one restricted category.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Pie guy is going to win, because he's the most obnoxious. Speaking of obnoxious resteraunt impossible is failing so hard at emulating Gordon Ramsey's Schtick it's almost funny.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Azhais posted:

I couldn't even tell you what Viet's gimmick was.

Glasses that cover 90% of his face? Seriously, what's the loving point in having lenses that dip all the way down to your lip line? I had glasses like that in 7th grade and looked like an idiot.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The asshat producer from FN is the worst judge and he should keep his terrible opinions behind the cameras because he makes me want to stop watching the show whenever he speaks. He always has the most contradictory poo poo to say to the contestants. Too perfect? Really? Also, they really need to hop off of Demaris' back because all of their editing still isn't proving their point that she is over the top flirty. She isn't. Get over it, guys. Same with Nikki who they insist is "too cutesy/too girly".

Jamesman posted:

When I think of females with culinary authority, I think of the people I actually liked who are not on Food Network anymore, like Aida Mollencamp and Claire Robinson.

Claire Robinson is gone? I never really ever saw her in anything outside of Challenge and Best Thing I Ever Ate, so I don't know how she was as a cooking personality, but still, she seemed pretty cool.

Did anyone watch Salvation? Even the mini web series side competition is kind of horse poo poo.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Humboldt squid posted:

Pie guy is going to win, because he's the most obnoxious. Speaking of obnoxious resteraunt impossible is failing so hard at emulating Gordon Ramsey's Schtick it's almost funny.

My dad tried an episode of Kitchen Nightmares and was none too fond of the rampant cursing. (Bleeping?) On the other hand, he loves Restaurant: Impossible, and watches DVRed episodes with dinner every night, and has jokingly told my siblings their middle names are officially going to be "Tom" and "Tanya" so he can yell for them like Robert does the two people he yells at on the show, I guess. Speaking of which, "Robert" has begun to casually come up in conversation, like he's an actual person the family knows. Except we know no one named Robert.

...I think my parents have joined the cult of Robert Irvine. And if one hasn't been started yet they probably will.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
None of us should forget how fantastic and amazing this moment was.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ToastyPotato posted:

The asshat producer from FN is the worst judge and he should keep his terrible opinions behind the cameras because he makes me want to stop watching the show whenever he speaks. He always has the most contradictory poo poo to say to the contestants. Too perfect? Really? Also, they really need to hop off of Demaris' back because all of their editing still isn't proving their point that she is over the top flirty. She isn't. Get over it, guys. Same with Nikki who they insist is "too cutesy/too girly".

I kind of hope that they keep whining to Demaris about being too "sexy" and she eventually snaps and goes full on Nigella mode.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Paradox Personified posted:

None of us should forget how fantastic and amazing this moment was.

What's the story here?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bean posted:

What's the story here?
Amy's Baking Company is run by a couple of nutcases who get aggressive with customers(especially if they think you're a dreaded Yelper) and staff.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
That whole saga just keeps on giving too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I get that not every "curveball" they threw at the contestants could be equal, but having the lights go out and the fire alarm go off and expecting someone to continue their demo was really some dumb bullshit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

I get that not every "curveball" they threw at the contestants could be equal, but having the lights go out and the fire alarm go off and expecting someone to continue their demo was really some dumb bullshit.

Yeah. Seriously, if that happened on a live TV show, they would almost DEFINITELY cut to commercial. Yeah lets cook with no light that is perfectly safe and acceptable to do! Let's ignore fire alarms in a place with kitchen and electronic equipment! THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Jamesman posted:

Agreed there's definitely a big difference between "Now where did that whisk go" and "OH poo poo THE FIRE ALARM!" Also the Redemption web series is structured weirdly. I kind of hope it blows up in food network's face and the last person to get kicked off wins the redemption mini series. It would be hilarious if say Damaris or someone was the last one to get kicked off, swoops into redemption and wins the last redemption, and then they have to reintroduce her like it's some dramatic thing.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

dude789 posted:

It would be hilarious if say Damaris or someone was the last one to get kicked off, swoops into redemption and wins the last redemption, and then they have to reintroduce her like it's some dramatic thing.

My hope is that somehow Danushka comes back to win it all. Even though she's terrible in every way, that would be by far the funniest outcome. Hopefully there's a scheming troll producer on this show that makes it happen.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Awww poo poo. Russel's going to win. Alton and Giada keep talking about how he's grown in the competition. Might as well end it right now. His show is going to be insufferable.

Oh Jesus, Rodney what are you doing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

dude789 posted:

Awww poo poo. Russel's going to win. Alton and Giada keep talking about how he's grown in the competition. Might as well end it right now. His show is going to be insufferable.

Oh Jesus, Rodney what are you doing.

At least Chris--easily the most boring and "Wait why is this guy here" contestant is out.

I honestly don't think any of them would have a good show. Nikki maybe?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Just seen promo for new reality series "The Shed". I've eaten there several times, and the food is very good, but do we need another redneck, family business drama-fest?

No.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Nerdfest X posted:

Just seen promo for new reality series "The Shed". I've eaten there several times, and the food is very good, but do we need another redneck, family business drama-fest?

No.

Well if the History Channel gives Shelby The Swamp Man his own show, you can bet your rear end that Redneck/Hillbilly types are what is in right now for cable networks.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The weird thing to me about the Shed is the people that run it aren't even remotely hillbilly/redneck types. They're just a normal middle class family with thick-rear end Mississippi accents and sassy attitudes. They're not like the Duck Dynasty people that are absolutely 100% oddballs. They're just...people. That run a successful restaurant. Any and all antics are going to be even more fake than usual for these shows. Ugh. No.

On another note: I can't decide if the Sandwich King obnoxious or endearing or both. I'm prone to not hate him for large swaths of his show, and then he'll suddenly seem weird and douchey just out of nowhere. It's like his personality has a time limit or something. Maybe I'm just bad at gauging the hateability of "celebrity chefs"... I don't hate Guy Fairy much, just for example.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 13, 2013

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

fizzymercy posted:

On another note: I can't decide if the Sandwich King obnoxious or endearing or both. I'm prone to not hate him for large swaths of his show, and then he'll suddenly seem weird and douchey just out of nowhere. It's like his personality has a time limit or something. Maybe I'm just bad at gauging the hateability of "celebrity chefs"... I don't hate Guy Fairy much, just for example.

I will watch his show because I love sandwiches, but I don't see too much that is innovative or different. As far as his personality he is middle of the road. Sometimes it feels like he is trying too hard to impress judges still which slows the show down.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Food Network Star opening up with vocabulary challenge, demanding the contestants be able to describe foods properly to the audience.

This coming from a channel where their biggest star says everything is money, the bomb, and from flavortown.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

Food Network Star opening up with vocabulary challenge, demanding the contestants be able to describe foods properly to the audience.

This coming from a channel where their biggest star says everything is money, the bomb, and from flavortown.

YUM-O!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It wouldn't be NFNS if it wasn't hilariously hypocritical. Apparently this week was the last episode of Redemption. It all comes down to whether Chad's bland egg grilled in a pepper was better than Lovely's tepid salad with some gross looking fritters. I'm kind of hoping that Chad comes back and then gets sent home immediately because that would be funniest. Unfortunately that would mean having to put up with Russell and his FOOD REVOLUTION for another week.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Didn't Russell say something last night about how he worked 8 years to get a restaurant going here in SF only to have it fail? I'm curious about that.

__

Oh wow, I'm finally looking him up and I know who he is but just never knew his name (I'm sure they've said "Lafitte" tons of times, I think we've well-established that I half watch these shows)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lafitte-san-francisco-3

I don't go out to fancy places all that often (maybe 1-2x a year) but I don't think this would have been my bag anyway. I'd heard of it before and wasn't super interested when it was still around.

Maybe I'm judging unfairly, though I'm on the fence about Russell, but it seems like a kind of paint-by-numbers. If it's supposed to be revolutionary, I can see why it missed the mark. Still, though, he obviously has chops and I have no idea why he thinks NFNS is going to make or break anything for him if Iron Chef didn't do that much for him before.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
To be fair, they're making him choose between the revolution gimmick or the "seven culinary sins" stuff. If he goes with the latter I could see him being in the finale with Nicki and Stacey.

The thing that bugged me this week was that the two runners-up in terms of how much their dishes were auctioned off for - y'know, the entire goal of the challenge - were the two put up for elimination. Mr Pies completely shits the bed and they give him a pass because his food tastes good? C'mon. He's got an inaccessible POV (remembers Justin) and a singular focus (remembers Sandwich King) that would make his show unwatchable. He'll never probably win.

e: Stacey not Lovely :doh:

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 16, 2013

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

To be fair, they're making him choose between the revolution gimmick or the "seven culinary sins" stuff. If he goes with the latter I could see him being in the finale with Nicki and Lovely.

The thing that bugged me this week was that the two runners-up in terms of how much their dishes were auctioned off for - y'know, the entire goal of the challenge - were the two put up for elimination. Mr Pies completely shits the bed and they give him a pass because his food tastes good? C'mon. He's got an inaccessible POV (remembers Justin) and a singular focus (remembers Sandwich King) that would make his show unwatchable. He'll never probably win.

I think they had to take the final cash amounts with a grain of salt. For example, there probably was almost nothing Damaris could have said to get her green bean casserole auctioned off for more than Chad's BBQ poutine even though her dish was technically superior. A bunch of "gastronauts" are just going to be more inclined to go for something like poutine. Also, "gastronauts" is the dumbest loving word.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

He'll never probably win.

Keep in mind that they've probably had their top 1 or 2 choices in mind all along so this is just gravy. I assume that a lot of the elimination posturing really does revolve around good drama further along. Not in a "let's keep this terribly lovely person" way but a "let's keep this weird personality" way.

I never want to hear "gastronauts" again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think Stacy is the most polished and most fit to be on TV, and should win and probably will win, but that doesn't mean I actually give a poo poo about watching her show or making the food she makes and eating it.

I would have watched Danushka's show. Her whole "I don't understand how humans work and I don't really give a poo poo" personality would have translated into the best goddamn show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I haven't watched any FNS shows besides Guy's and that was before I even knew he was a NFNS winner. I do not see me watching any of these people's shows.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
This has come up several times in the thread, but yeah the winner is largely irrelevant to Food Network. They'll fill a 30 minute spot on Sunday morning for a season or two, or even like Justin just disappear. They've tweaked the format this year moving away from teams to make sure that doesn't happen again, clearly narrowing down the field to the few I think we all suspected would be there at the end anyway. But the idea that they're actually looking for a 'star' can be thrown right out, all they care about is NFNS itself.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

This has come up several times in the thread, but yeah the winner is largely irrelevant to Food Network. They'll fill a 30 minute spot on Sunday morning for a season or two, or even like Justin just disappear. They've tweaked the format this year moving away from teams to make sure that doesn't happen again, clearly narrowing down the field to the few I think we all suspected would be there at the end anyway. But the idea that they're actually looking for a 'star' can be thrown right out, all they care about is NFNS itself.

Justin appeared in a car ad in this month's issue of Food Network magazine. I'm still confused.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Mystery Diners just does not give a poo poo anymore about pretending to be real.

The undercover diner is at the bar in a "busy" restaurant. Her mic pack is clearly visible inside her little sweater she is wearing and she just stood up, pressed her finger to her ear secret service style, and talked back to the CONTROL ROOM.

She has done it twice now. In a busy bar. Nothing suspicious.

EDIT

The new Alton Brown show does not look appealing at all to me. Looks like a clusterfuck mashup of Chopped and, uh, basically all competition cooking shows.

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2013

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yeah, that cutthroat kitchen thing seems dumb and the put-upon waiter in tonight's mystery diner is so fake I can barely stand it.

e: though, to be fair, I think I said that Chopped would be dumb and it's the only show I really enjoy on FN these days, so I could be wrong about cutthroat kitchen.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I saw a little bit of an episode of Mystery Diners where the hostess and (head?) chef of an Italian restaurant tried to push the chef's Mexican menu on days when the owner wasn't working... It was so fake and stupid that it actually enraged me, which I know is stupid, but I couldn't take the idea that some people actually think that show is real.

Also, the main mustached guy on there totally looks like a creepy/perverted high school teacher.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
This morning, they showed an old episode of Throwdown. Remember that show? Where Bobby Flay would surprise someone known for a signature dish and try to make a better version of it? The person in this episode was the pie guy from Food Network Star.

The best part about it though, was that Bobby won. I best remember that show for how often he would lose, because really, he comes up with some dish on the fly to challenge someone who is an expert in making that same dish. But he beat that pie rear end in a top hat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

This morning, they showed an old episode of Throwdown. Remember that show? Where Bobby Flay would surprise someone known for a signature dish and try to make a better version of it? The person in this episode was the pie guy from Food Network Star.

The best part about it though, was that Bobby won. I best remember that show for how often he would lose, because really, he comes up with some dish on the fly to challenge someone who is an expert in making that same dish. But he beat that pie rear end in a top hat.

I don't watch FN star, but that is awesome.

I too saw that episode this morning and that pie guy was just irritating as hell. Also usually on the show the dishes are close in quality (and once in a while Bobby really can't make the dish and gets killed) but in this one Bobby's quiche was so much better than the pie guy's that it was ridiculous.

I miss Throwdown. I actually liked that show. Also Dinner Impossible was so much better than Restaurant Impossible that it's insane.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Jamesman posted:

As much as Bobby seemed to lose, he always seemed to win at stuff he had to bake. Pies, cakes, etc, he seemed to always have a winning record. I got a feeling he took those episodes a little more seriously because he didn't let his "I can cook everything southwest style" get in the way.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Bobby's record was something like 32 wins and 68 losses if I remember correctly. It was a good show.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Ming Tsai, a guy who should have been able to walk into an Iron Chef job instead of go through the ridiculousness of NIC, is now doing infomercials for the Aero Knife. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

Ming Tsai, a guy who should have been able to walk into an Iron Chef job instead of go through the ridiculousness of NIC, is now doing infomercials for the Aero Knife. Sigh.

Got to pay the bills somehow. I wanted him to win that season so badly, but in the end it would no have mattered since every loving person wants to face Bobby Flay.

• Locked thread