Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Random question on the new iMacs. What are the methods that are possible to facilitate a second monitor? Only thunderbolt? I'm not familiar with TB at all, is it easy to convert that to HDMI? The reason I ask is that my new iMac is going in my kitchen at a counter-top/desk dealie and above it is a space for a TV where I have a LCD that would be sweet to act as a second monitor to display pictures or other cool static things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

redcheval posted:

I didn't see an accessories thread anywhere, so apologies if this is the wrong place for this — I'm having trouble tracking down a nice sleeve for my 13" Air. I don't want to put a hardshell case on it as I did my old Pro, which just got dust in it over the years and ended up scratching the body anyway, but I want to put it in some kind of hardy sleeve to carry around in my bag or whatever. I really don't want a neoprene case, and I'm having a hard time finding 13" sleeves that look quality. Any recommendations?

How about colcasac? Not cheap, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TraderStav posted:

Random question on the new iMacs. What are the methods that are possible to facilitate a second monitor? Only thunderbolt? I'm not familiar with TB at all, is it easy to convert that to HDMI? The reason I ask is that my new iMac is going in my kitchen at a counter-top/desk dealie and above it is a space for a TV where I have a LCD that would be sweet to act as a second monitor to display pictures or other cool static things.

You can go from ThunderBolt or DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI with a cheap adapter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

You can go from ThunderBolt or DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI with a cheap adapter.

Terrific news. Thanks :)

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

ManPortable posted:

How about colcasac? Not cheap, though.

Oooh, these are awesome. ~$50 is what my hard cases always cost on my previous laptop so it doesn't sound too shabby, all things considered. Thank you!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

crazysim posted:

The Air Display people offer something similar as well.

Purchased. I love it so far. Thanks guys!

Edit: If I turn the Macbook I am using as a target display into portrait mode (rotate 270º) it works just fine at full resolution (1050x1680). However, if I then run Air Display, it shrinks down to 768x1024. Anyone know what's up?

angor fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 17, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

redcheval posted:

I didn't see an accessories thread anywhere, so apologies if this is the wrong place for this — I'm having trouble tracking down a nice sleeve for my 13" Air. I don't want to put a hardshell case on it as I did my old Pro, which just got dust in it over the years and ended up scratching the body anyway, but I want to put it in some kind of hardy sleeve to carry around in my bag or whatever. I really don't want a neoprene case, and I'm having a hard time finding 13" sleeves that look quality. Any recommendations?

I'm a fan of the Booq Viper.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JayKay posted:

I'm a fan of the Booq Viper.

Kind of ruins the Air's form dactor doesn't it?

I have a Speck stretchy sleeve, I like it better than the Incase Neoprene oness

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My friend has a 2008 15" Macbook Pro, she said that the graphics chip might be dead, it won't turn on or charge. She said she took it to the Apple store and she said its too old to fix. Should I buy it from her? Or even pay any money for it? How much?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

b0nes posted:

How much?

Price of a good coffee.

Maybe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

b0nes posted:

My friend has a 2008 15" Macbook Pro, she said that the graphics chip might be dead, it won't turn on or charge. She said she took it to the Apple store and she said its too old to fix. Should I buy it from her? Or even pay any money for it? How much?

The original G4-style MBP? Run the gently caress away.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

redcheval posted:

Oooh, these are awesome. ~$50 is what my hard cases always cost on my previous laptop so it doesn't sound too shabby, all things considered. Thank you!

Not sure if you already made a purchase, but I'm a huge fan of

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Candy-Ma...acbook+air+case

Very slim, and very protective. Well made product and gets the job done.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

The original G4-style MBP? Run the gently caress away.

It totally slipped my mind that they used to use PowerPc. NOPE!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

b0nes posted:

It totally slipped my mind that they used to use PowerPc. NOPE!

It's not a PowerPC, it's a Core 2 Duo. I'll bet that it's the last of the non-unibody model MBPs with the infamous Nvidia 8600 graphics chip.

So yeah, stay the hell away.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
The hard drive in my 4 month old iMac died and is obviously still under AppleCare. I noticed that my University bookstore is listed as an authorized repair centre, but for some reason am a bit weary about not bringing it to an Apple Store (which is about 30 min away). Any reason for my hesitation?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlueTesla posted:

The hard drive in my 4 month old iMac died and is obviously still under AppleCare. I noticed that my University bookstore is listed as an authorized repair centre, but for some reason am a bit weary about not bringing it to an Apple Store (which is about 30 min away). Any reason for my hesitation?

It's just a hard drive swap and OS re-load. Hopefully they don't get any boogers trapped behind the glass.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Carl Seitan posted:

Fuuuuuuck. A drink spilled on my wife's Macbook Pro while it was on and it turned off. Pretty sure it's hosed but I don't want to try powering it on.

Anyone have experience with http://www.themacgeniuses.com/technology/macbook-pro-water-damage/? I sure as poo poo don't have the $800 for repair quoted by Apple.

I literally poured half a can on Sprite into my powered on 12 inch G4 a few years ago. I turned it off, took out the battery, and when I tried powering it on the next day, it worked fine, for like 4 more years until the graphics card poo poo itself. Water damage is a very hit or miss thing, it can completely wreck your computer, but it can also just have no effect at all.

Oneiros posted:

It's not a PowerPC, it's a Core 2 Duo. I'll bet that it's the last of the non-unibody model MBPs with the infamous Nvidia 8600 graphics chip.

So yeah, stay the hell away.

You could bake it in an oven at low temp for a few hours, or put a heat gun to the GPU for a while. That should get it going again for a couple of months if you don't accidentally overheat any of the other components. Apparently, the way it usually breaks is that the solder connections between the graphics and logic board become weak after lots of heating/cooling while using the laptop. By heating it up, I guess you can soften the solder enough to make it work for a while. This actually could be useful for getting data off the HD, but it's a much better idea to just take the drive out and put it in an external case.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bet there are authorized repair shops that do a way better job in less time than Apple stores. I found the turnaround in SF to be excessive, something like a week before anyone looked at it to say that I had no coverage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah it'll just vary by shop. One of the guys at my local Apple Store actually gave me a business card for a nearby authorized shop just cause the volume of work that goes through the Apple Store meant a repair would take longer than at the smaller shop.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

I bet there are authorized repair shops that do a way better job in less time than Apple stores. I found the turnaround in SF to be excessive, something like a week before anyone looked at it to say that I had no coverage.

That doesn't make sense
The initial Genius Bar meet gets things like warranty out of the way, as far as I know, unless you did a drop off which even still, gets looked at on the spot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The times I've put my laptop in for service they don't open the machine before I leave, so I could see if they take in a computer, then get around to it in the queue and find evidence of something not covered. Of course, Phoenix-area stores aren't nearly as busy as SF would be.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

The times I've put my laptop in for service they don't open the machine before I leave, so I could see if they take in a computer, then get around to it in the queue and find evidence of something not covered. Of course, Phoenix-area stores aren't nearly as busy as SF would be.

But warranty covers everything but accidental - so the only way you'd be surprised about cost is if it was accidental damage - to be honest - you should know if that's the case or not, right? Am I missing something? Now I'm scared AppleCare doesn't protect against everything

*wraps bubble wrap around laptop*

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just saw a rumor (based on Best Buy's price drops) that the new Haswell rMBP's will be released on the 30th, which would put me exactly 8 days outside the return window.

:negative:

Anyone have any experience with getting Apple to extend the return window on a refresh if this were to happen?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A week or so after giving my computer over a guy called me to say he found corrosion on the internal hardware so basically nothing is covered. I never had an obvious liquid spill incident with the computer so I never checked or thought of anything happening as accidental damage. The issue in the first place was that the internal microphone wasn't working which requires a top case replacement. 2010 Macbook.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Would 4gb RAM in the new 13" Macbook Air be enough? JB is doing 10% off Apple computers until Sunday, but only on what they have in stock, which includes the 13", i5, 4gb RAM, 256gb SSD Air. With the discount it would be $1301, and I just got $170 in JB vouchers for my birthday yesterday, making it $1131. I really like that price, and I really want to get the laptop soon before I have to organise moving house, but I'm not sure whether the RAM would be enough. I do have a desktop for games etc, but I would like to be able to do some fun stuff on it. I've read that it might be possible for the new Air to play Civ 5 at low settings, which I really like the idea of but again, I don't know how the RAM affects that. I just want it to be useful for as long as possible.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
You wouldn't regret it, but with student discount from Apple you can get the price for a 1.3/8gb/256 for 1330ish with a 100 gift card to the app store.

I've been playing Civ V on this setup and it's working really well.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oceanlife posted:

You wouldn't regret it, but with student discount from Apple you can get the price for a 1.3/8gb/256 for 1330ish with a 100 gift card to the app store.

I've been playing Civ V on this setup and it's working really well.

I don't think that promotion is on in Australia. :(

E: the apple education site gives me $1509 for the 8gb one.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 19, 2013

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

redcheval posted:

I really don't want a neoprene case, and I'm having a hard time finding 13" sleeves that look quality. Any recommendations?

Same. I ended up importing this and am quite satisfied - http://www.etsy.com/listing/103981094/leather-sleeve-for-macbook-air-11-top

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Bob Morales posted:

Kind of ruins the Air's form dactor doesn't it?

I have a Speck stretchy sleeve, I like it better than the Incase Neoprene oness

Derp, I meant the Viper Sleeve

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/viper-sleeve/VSL13-BLK

I feel its a good compromise between portability and protection.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Just saw a rumor (based on Best Buy's price drops) that the new Haswell rMBP's will be released on the 30th, which would put me exactly 8 days outside the return window.

:negative:

Anyone have any experience with getting Apple to extend the return window on a refresh if this were to happen?

If you're within a month they'll return it if a new product comes out so you San exchange

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Out of the game for a little bit, if I want to load windows to play some Steam games, what is the best way? Bootcamp or Parallels? And which version of Windows should I be getting for each? The latest? Is that Windows 8?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boot Camp will always be the best way.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Out of the game for a little bit, if I want to load windows to play some Steam games, what is the best way? Bootcamp or Parallels? And which version of Windows should I be getting for each? The latest? Is that Windows 8?

7. W8 has a host of issues and takes up MUCH more space on your precious SSD. The boot camp drivers finally caught up but still stick with Windows 7. Also most user hate Windows 8 and it's not very usable from an OS perspective.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Also most user hate Windows 8 and it's not very usable from an OS perspective.

I'd think they'd want to make an OS usable from an OS perspective.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JayKay posted:

Derp, I meant the Viper Sleeve

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/viper-sleeve/VSL13-BLK

I feel its a good compromise between portability and protection.

Has the magnet on that ever messed around with the magnets in the Air that make it wake/sleep? Or is that not possible? Really love the look/function of that sleeve.

[edit]

Also, if you pick up that sleeve the side where you put the Air in, are the magnets strong enough to keep it inside? Or does it fall right out?

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 19, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Stick100 posted:

7. W8 has a host of issues and takes up MUCH more space on your precious SSD. The boot camp drivers finally caught up but still stick with Windows 7. Also most user hate Windows 8 and it's not very usable from an OS perspective.

Counterpoint: Windows 8 supports USB 3.0 without slipstreaming (useful if all you have are usb 3 thumbdrives) and 8.1 is the first with a not-terrible hidpi mode.

Otherwise, win7 all the way.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Boot Camp will always be the best way.
Why is this, and how much worse is running Steam inside Parallels/VM Fusion (besides the price)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Because the virtualization tech and drivers will never be as fast as native execution. That doesn't mean virtualization can't be "good enough" but native will always be faster. I use Parallels or Fusion in a pinch if I need to do Windows stuff because the trade-off in performance doesn't affect what I use it for.

Kenny Logins posted:

how much worse is running Steam inside Parallels/VM Fusion (besides the price)?
No clue. I haven't kept up on recent Parallels vs. Fusion performance reviews. Ars usually does a good one every year.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Thanks for the response. Good to know in advance of getting a new MacBook and doing all that setup. I had been considering getting one of the two just for convenience factor but a big chunk of my mandated Windows use will probably end up being for Steam games, so I'll stick with my previous Boot Camping ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

So a couple weeks back my MBP took a spill off my bed and the USB ports have been essentially non-functional since. The symptoms are actually kind of interesting - sticking a flash drive in one of the ports will power on the activity light but the drive will never mount, while the other port seems completely dead until I physically hold the drive down slightly at which point it powers on and mounts just fine. Removing any pressure at all from the drive will instantly unmount it so this is obviously not any kind of long term solution, but it does lead me to believe that this is something fixable with a reasonable amount of time and expense.

My local Mac repair shop wants about a hundred dollars an hour for repairs, so I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and can provide a rough estimate of how much I can expect to be forking over for this. I'm guessing this is not something I should attempt to repair myself, but depending on how much I would be in this for...

Thanks guys!