Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I guess it's not that weird, all things considered, but does anyone else think Angelia sounds little...off? I guess it shouldn't, because Angelina and Angelita and even Angelica sound fine to me, but Angelia just sounds weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

made of bees posted:

I guess it's not that weird, all things considered, but does anyone else think Angelia sounds little...off? I guess it shouldn't, because Angelina and Angelita and even Angelica sound fine to me, but Angelia just sounds weird.

Yes. Angelica sounds fine but somehow taking the "c" out makes it sound like a vaginal suppository.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Perceptopolis posted:

My great grandmother was named Princess!

I think people find names like this unusual because they're in our own language, despite the fact that one of the most common girl's names for many years (Sarah) means Princess in Hebrew.

I wonder if people thought it was equally weird back when someone first named their daughter Sarah? And if another language besides English rises to prominence, will names like Princess become normal, since they'd no longer be commonly used words?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RazorBunny posted:

I think people find names like this unusual because they're in our own language, despite the fact that one of the most common girl's names for many years (Sarah) means Princess in Hebrew.

I wonder if people thought it was equally weird back when someone first named their daughter Sarah? And if another language besides English rises to prominence, will names like Princess become normal, since they'd no longer be commonly used words?

It's also interesting because other noun names are usually fine- Felicity, Rose, June. I wonder if some of the backlash to Princess is because to modern ears it makes us think of the kind of people you see on Toddlers and Tiaras.

Part of it, for some people, may also be because Princess sounds diminutive instead of powerful, for some reason. Like, if I met someone named Queen, I'd think that was cool. Don't know why.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For me it's because it sounds like what an earnest 10 year old girl names her pet poodle, not a grown woman naming another human being.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
At work I just had a customer come through with the name "J.P. Ennis".

I can only hope the initials stand for "Johnson Peter".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

It's also interesting because other noun names are usually fine- Felicity, Rose, June. I wonder if some of the backlash to Princess is because to modern ears it makes us think of the kind of people you see on Toddlers and Tiaras.

Part of it, for some people, may also be because Princess sounds diminutive instead of powerful, for some reason. Like, if I met someone named Queen, I'd think that was cool. Don't know why.

I met a Queenie once, but I think it was a nickname rather than her given name. Although, according to How Many of Me, there are over 14,000 people named Queen in the US, and about 3,000 named Queenie.

How Many of Me is actually kind of an interesting site. Apparently there are 117 people in the US with my exact first and last name. Which doesn't seem like a lot, since both my first and last names are very common. Oddly enough, I've talked to two of them - one back when Facebook would let you tag people you weren't friends with, and her sister accidentally tagged me in a picture, and the other just recently when a company pulled up the wrong record in their shipping system and sent her order to me.

Fun fact, almost 46,000 people in the US are named John Smith.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I remember that site! Apparently I'm the only person in the whole country with my first and last name. Kinda cool, in a way.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

RazorBunny posted:

I met a Queenie once, but I think it was a nickname rather than her given name. Although, according to How Many of Me, there are over 14,000 people named Queen in the US, and about 3,000 named Queenie.

How Many of Me is actually kind of an interesting site. Apparently there are 117 people in the US with my exact first and last name. Which doesn't seem like a lot, since both my first and last names are very common. Oddly enough, I've talked to two of them - one back when Facebook would let you tag people you weren't friends with, and her sister accidentally tagged me in a picture, and the other just recently when a company pulled up the wrong record in their shipping system and sent her order to me.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with that site- if I put in my last name it says there are 117 with that last name; if I put in the original Danish spelling it also says 117, and you also got 117 for an answer. If I put in my full name, it comes back with only 2 people, which would be me and my dad, so there's that.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Cool, I got 5 of me. Hopefully none of them will ever kill someone or that'll drag my name through the mud.

Does it ever show 100%? 99.9% are male which means there's at least one girl out there with my solidly male first name.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jul 16, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's odd. 99.76% of people with my first name are male. That means there are 3142 girls (or people who didn't list a gender, which is my guess) named Kenneth in the US.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'm guessing there's some kind of rounding that goes on, thus the repetition of certain numbers? I get 117 for my full name, my first name is over 800k and my last name is just under 46k.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
There's "1 or fewer" people in the US with my name! And only 1581 with my first name, and 2650 with my last name.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I got "1 or fewer" too, even though I know for a fact that there's someone else with my name in the US. Hell, he even lives in the same area.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Monkey Man posted:

I got "1 or fewer" too, even though I know for a fact that there's someone else with my name in the US. Hell, he even lives in the same area.

I'm also a 1 or Fewer. I've met several people with my first name, but no one else with my last name.

Maybe we're some kind of hybrid and not completely human. That would explain a lot of things, actually.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

There are 226 people in the US with my name, but I'm not any of them since I've never lived there. There were four other people with my first and last registered at student health at university in New Zealand though, so I'm surprised there aren't more.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
When working retail I once encountered a customer by the name of Lil Hardlicka. I'm sure it's pronounced "Hardleeka".

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Khazar-khum posted:

I'm also a 1 or Fewer. I've met several people with my first name, but no one else with my last name.

Maybe we're some kind of hybrid and not completely human. That would explain a lot of things, actually.

Heh, me too. We should get together and get that world domination thing started.

In my case, it's a very long, un-Anglicized German last name combined with a somewhat snowflake-ish first name. The registrar's office at my college didn't think I was a real person.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

1581 with my first name, 7111 with my last name.

1 or fewer with both. :smug:

Neat little site. I wish it would do middle names, though. My wife was named Heather Nicole (and during her parents' divorce she was almost Heather Nicole Smith). Pretty much every time we meet another Heather in Texas, that's their middle name.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Devin

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lotish posted:

1581 with my first name, 7111 with my last name.

1 or fewer with both. :smug:

Neat little site. I wish it would do middle names, though. My wife was named Heather Nicole (and during her parents' divorce she was almost Heather Nicole Smith). Pretty much every time we meet another Heather in Texas, that's their middle name.

I have that with my middle name too, it seems like every Sarah is a Sarah Elizabeth. My mom was so sad about it, too - she was very proud of the way the names sounded together, and thought she had come up with it on her own.

I had a class in high school of 25 students, four Sarahs and a Sara. Three of us had the middle name Elizabeth.

Back to wacky names, what do you think the odds were that Action Jackson was the guy's real name? The organization I worked for didn't require proof that your membership was in your real name...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Why?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I wonder if that's hardwood.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Because it sounds retarded.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
I have a lot of nieces and nephews. Somewhere around 15 I think. Here are some of the names:

• Haylei
  • Aiden
  • Harley Quinn
  • Eastin (ngl I have no idea how this one is spelled)
  • and because someone ^^^ mentioned it, Devon

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!
These aren't really terrible names, per se, but the situation is a little weird. I have two cousins named Steven; Steven Paul and Steven Wayne. They're about the same age. This means that my Dad's two brothers named their sons the same thing at the same time. Weird. Also they're both named after my Dad who is not named Steven.

Here's another just unfortunate name coincidence. I went to high school with a guy named Evan Allen Ramsey so his initials spelled EAR. You guessed it, he has giant ears that stick out at least two inches from his head. Poor bastard.

My initials spell EMO, but that wasn't really funny until, like, 2004.

I grew up with a girl named Sunshine. She got pregnant at 16 and named her daughter Raina. Sunshine and Raina.

My uncle was once engaged to a woman named Misty Dawn. She's actually really bright and didn't marry my terrible uncle, but they had a kid named Autumn. Autumn isn't really a bad name, but when your mom's name is Misty Dawn your family starts to sound like new age album.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I had a classmate in 6th grade, her name was Gail Storm

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And I just got a student named Stormy Sky. When we were introducing ourselves, she herself pointed out she's already met a Stormy Day.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Hydronium posted:

Just met a guy named Justin. Middle name: Time.

Years ago my mother had a student named Justin Case. Also, I met a guy last week who had the first name Princeryan. All one word, confirmed on his DL and everything.

There's also a guy in my city with the same first and last name as me who is a registered sex offender. That could be fun.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Vonder posted:

Also they're both named after my Dad who is not named Steven.

So uhh... how?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not really a terrible name, but I met a comedian with the actual name Dorian Gray (last name). Showed me his Driver's License to prove it.
Also, I have a second cousin named April May.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not really a terrible name, but I met a comedian with the actual name Dorian Gray (last name). Showed me his Driver's License to prove it.

Please tell me the license photo looked way older than the comedian.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Alkapone (link to relevant article)

Pronounced on-air exactly like what you're thinking.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

RazorBunny posted:

There are 35 people in the US with my first and last name. How unfun! Then again, I have a very common last name and a pretty boring first name.

According to that site, however, there is only one Jerry Seinfeld.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!

sweeperbravo posted:

So uhh... how?

My Dad's name is Paul Wayne. So, apparently, my uncle's both wanted to name a son after Dad, but also wanted to name them their sons Steven.

Could have been worse. My Dad was almost named Claudell.

One of my Dad's brothers is named Marion Devordrais. (I have no idea how to spell it, but that's how it sounds.) He has a grandson named Shay Devordrais and everyone calls him Shade Tree.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012
Today my mother told me she went to college with Grammatica and Honeybee. I thought the latter was a nickname until I met her and sure enough, "Honeybee" was on her ID and license.

I have no idea why someone would think either of those names would be a good thing to call a child.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
I had a student who I think was from the middle east name Ufuk. It was in fact pronounced close to 'you gently caress'. This was occasionally awkward, like when I wanted to ask "Why haven't you been handing in your homework, Ufuk?"

When I was working in the library I got handed an ID with the name Ching-Chong on it. That was... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Please tell me the license photo looked way older than the comedian.

I wish. Also, this made me laugh more than anything else today. Sincerely, thank you!