Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
If Trott keeps getting to 50 odd and losing concentration I'll take that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He needs a score of over 93 to get his average over 50.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Which idiot at at Sky decided Andrew Strauss was the kind of charismatic and interesting guy they needed commentating on the Ashes?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Same person who hired Nick Knight.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Top telestrator use there.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

glasnost toyboy posted:

Top telestrator use there.

Anyone get a screengrab?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cant believe that Bell is Englands most reliable batsman.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

lol.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Haha that is so very :cricket:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

idgi

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

serious gaylord posted:

Cant believe that Bell is Englands most reliable batsman.

He's actually really improved since last time I gave a poo poo about what he did

He can still gently caress right off though, as soon as he pleases

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Warner out for 6 after 9 balls against the Zimbabwe Select XI by the way. He should stick to punching children in my opinion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bairstow: Still not good.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Lolstralia

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

No ball?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bharatrocity posted:

Warner out for 6 after 9 balls against the Zimbabwe Select XI by the way. He should stick to punching children in my opinion.

Whelp that should be the end of his ashes series.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

gently caress you all

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Not out surely

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
ah loving hell

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ahhhahahaha

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I think so

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Clear no ball, Bairstow's a lucky man

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

loving hell

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are they still checking siddles wickets everytime for a no ball?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Siddle looks like he wants to destroy Bairstow.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Not Bairstows fault Siddle keeps overstepping.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

no obvious flaws

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Let me preface this by saying Bairstow shouldn't be out. It was a no ball but it should have been called on the field.

I honestly think either every dismissal is checked or make it so the on field umpire can't check for no balls. They've checked half a dozen or more this series for one error. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't like this mission creep with technology. Calling a no ball is pretty simple. If there was no wicket England would have been robbed of a run because the umpire can't do his job.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They seem to have one bowler per series that they pick on to check all their wickets. I remember Broad getting most of his dismissals checked for no balls against South Africa I think.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Not this again. Bloody hell Siddle

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Calling a no ball is pretty simple.

I always found that having to quickly flick your eye-line back up to the play after checking the no-ball was where most of the difficulty of decision making came from. On top of the fact that there's no slow-mo for the umpire and feet slide around and lines get scuffed up etc.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The third umpire should check, they don't do anything else 99% of the time.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I was looking forward to a disaster when I turned on the game at 18/0 in just a few minutes saw England manage only 10 more runs for the loss of three wickets. Frankly I'm a little disappointed that this match isn't already in its second innings.

Why is day five set for a Monday? Is that a holiday there or something?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I always found that having to quickly flick your eye-line back up to the play after checking the no-ball was where most of the difficulty of decision making came from. On top of the fact that there's no slow-mo for the umpire and feet slide around and lines get scuffed up etc.

I agree. Getting the decisions right at the other end is a lot more important than being a hawk over no-balls.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The difficulty comes in flicking your eyes back up to judge where the ball pitches in my experience.

Could not some sensor be installed to just buzz when a bowler over steps

DON RAPER
Jan 1, 2011

Let me ask you something
what do women want?
Ian Bell is indelible

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

DON RAPER posted:

Ian Bell is indelible

Bell owns.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Antifreeze Head posted:

I was looking forward to a disaster when I turned on the game at 18/0 in just a few minutes saw England manage only 10 more runs for the loss of three wickets. Frankly I'm a little disappointed that this match isn't already in its second innings.

Why is day five set for a Monday? Is that a holiday there or something?

Day 5 is quite often a Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'm still new to cricket, so I'm going to ask some pretty dumb questions I'm sure. Apologies in advance.

What is a good target for England? Obviously, "as many runs as they can get!", but, 225/4 sounds pretty good from the little I know. Does it end up getting harder to get runs as it gets further along in an inning due to fatigue or batsmen stopping caring as much? I guess what I'm asking is more like "Is 300/325/whatever a good target for England, or do a bunch of wickets usually tend to fall in the early to mid 200s?" Maybe there just isn't any sort of pattern like that.

I can't actually watch this since I'm at work, but I'm following the liveupdates on Cricinfo. On it, I have figured out (I think) what all the info in the status box at the top is except for the * with the batsmen/bowler. Is it just who is bowling to who? Seems like the simplest thing, but I thought I saw that not match up earlier.

Last dumb question, how many overs are typically seen in a day?

• Locked thread