Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tev posted:

Is the Nexus 10 cover magnetic or does it flop around all willy-nilly?
It's magnetic in that it turns the screen on and off but not that it holds it in place. So the answer to your question is: both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's magnetic in that it turns the screen on and off but not that it holds it in place. So the answer to your question is: both.

It's willy nilly but it's not too bad.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

If you would like to continue to wildly speculate, Sundar Pichai is calling a press event in a week.

http://allthingsd.com/20130717/google-to-host-july-24-event-with-sundar-pichai/

Prices got leaked. $229 and $269 for the 16GB and 32GB models, respectively.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tigren posted:

Prices got leaked. $229 and $269 for the 16GB and 32GB models, respectively.
How about a link?

Edit:
AndroidCentral have it: http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-sequel-pricing-leaks-16gb-229-32gb-269

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know they don't get talked about much here bht I've had my tf700 for a while and I have to say with CROMI and all that poo poo it's fast. I love this thing and the keyboard. If you're interested in a tablet you should definitely check them out used. Got a 64 gb microsd in it (keyboard has an sd slot). The hdmi out is nice for just hooking up and playing a movie anywhere. Can't recommend it enough honestly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Officemax should be receiving new nexus 7 shipments on the 20th.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/17/...ource=pulsenews

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Wonder if I should dump my Nexus 10 and pick up the Nexus 7 2. The real motivator will be if there's a decent smart cover for it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wonder if I should dump my Nexus 10 and pick up the Nexus 7 2. The real motivator will be if there's a decent smart cover for it.

It would be nice if the form factor was identical and could use old covers.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on if the new Nexus will have a front and rear camera?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Any word on if the new Nexus will have a front and rear camera?
Isn't it out of your price range?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Isn't it out of your price range?

$300 is, like I said in the other thread.

$220 I can swing.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXrcUyCVA6c

http://www.androidcentral.com/new-nexus-7-pics-video-specs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Well there ya go. Guess ill do an amex return.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No HDMI :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Huh, looks pretty nice. Though, is the bottom bezel larger than the top? Or is that just the bottom bar on the screen fooling my eyes?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Hopefully it'll support Miracast at least.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glimm posted:

Hopefully it'll support Miracast at least.
This would be great if there was actually a way to get Miracast onto 95% of televisions. Why has nobody made an HDMI dongle yet? There was one on display at a tech show more than a year ago but as far as I can tell it was never released.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
No pogo pins? I LOVE my N7 dock... :(

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Could have MHL. Probably not, but we can hope.

It would have been nice if it had been made a bit thinner, too, or at least with less bezels. Though I suppose you can't have everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bezels are important on a portrait 7" device. You have to have a place to hold it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you buy a Nexus 7 from, say, Staples, and after a couple of months you notice a defect, you have to send it to Asus, right? Whereas if you buy it from Google, they'll cross-ship you a new one? I'm trying to decide if the $10 shipping from Google will be worth it if the new nexus has issues like the first one did.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I think $10 is pretty cheap for not having to deal with Asus if something goes wrong.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think $10 is pretty cheap for not having to deal with Asus if something goes wrong.

Not an Android tablet, but I just had to deal with Asus for service on my Zenbook and it was the fastest and easiest support/repair I've ever had to undergo. Maybe it's atypical but I had my laptop back inside of a week of sending it out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you buy a Nexus 7 from, say, Staples, and after a couple of months you notice a defect, you have to send it to Asus, right? Whereas if you buy it from Google, they'll cross-ship you a new one? I'm trying to decide if the $10 shipping from Google will be worth it if the new nexus has issues like the first one did.

If you were to buy from Staples, the delta is much more than $10 since the N7 16gb and 32gb models are on sale for $150 and $169 respectively at the moment.

edit: Apparently that deal is dead. Still, with the upcoming release of the new model I'd wait to see if you can save some money by waiting a week or two.

I can't really find any reason to get excited about the new N7. More storage (either 64gb for the price they say the 32gb is going to be or a MicroSD slot), faster proc and HDMI out were my killer features. The resolution of the N7 doesn't both me at all. I can look as closely as possible and still not notice any individual pixels.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not an Android tablet, but I just had to deal with Asus for service on my Zenbook and it was the fastest and easiest support/repair I've ever had to undergo.
Same for my TF700, it was back within a week and a completely painless process.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My problem with the current N7 is performance. My N4 had ruined it for me and I plain don't like going to something much slower. I can easily deal with the no HDMI or SD so the new 7 is going to be a day 1 buy because I love the 7" form factor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not an Android tablet, but I just had to deal with Asus for service on my Zenbook and it was the fastest and easiest support/repair I've ever had to undergo. Maybe it's atypical but I had my laptop back inside of a week of sending it out.
Asus requires you to send your device in, then they "fix" it and send it back to you or possibly hold it for ransom. Google will just cross-ship you a new device.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My problem with the current N7 is performance. My N4 had ruined it for me and I plain don't like going to something much slower. I can easily deal with the no HDMI or SD so the new 7 is going to be a day 1 buy because I love the 7" form factor.
And my N10 ruined the screen on the 7 for me. The N7 will go from the lowest PPI Nexus device to the highest with this refresh. drat it's gonna be nice to read on. I hope I still have lucky clicking fingers this time around for when the store gets trampled like it does every release.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I hope I still have lucky clicking fingers this time around for when the store gets trampled like it does every release.

Oh God I forgot about this. Dear Google, please don't gently caress this up. :ohdear:

we both know you will

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After last year's Nexus 7 fiasco, I'm done ordering stuff through the Play Store. I'm be picking this up at a B&M store as soon as I can.

I'm leaving for vacation at the end of next week and it would be really nice if I could snag one before then.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

And the Nexus 4. Remember they make you pay for 2-day shipping.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Maybe this year a Google employee will just take a dump in a box, charge you overnight shipping and you'll get it in January.

:allears:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Didn't they add new shipping options?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Maybe this year a Google employee will just take a dump in a box, charge you overnight shipping and you'll get it in January.

:allears:

Nexus #2

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

And the Nexus 4. Remember they make you pay for 2-day shipping.

They added more shipping options recently. Ground shipping costs $9.99 for devices (3-5 days).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Great, so you'll spend 10 extra bucks to get it 2 weeks later than everyone who just walked into a store.

Google just needs to hammer something out with Amazon already, I don't care if they are directly competing on a few products/services.

I see, at least, they did learn not to offer it for pre-order.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't really find any reason to get excited about the new N7. More storage (either 64gb for the price they say the 32gb is going to be or a MicroSD slot), faster proc and HDMI out were my killer features. The resolution of the N7 doesn't both me at all. I can look as closely as possible and still not notice any individual pixels.

64GB might be a thing but Nexus devices will never have an SD card again as of the Nexus S. :v:

With that out of the way, I think I'll wait this time around for a month or so to se what (if any) major issues pop up.

My fiancee and friend of mine both have N7s with no screen lift, but every single one I've seen in a store display has had it. Not to mention, looking at my friend's N7 makes it really obvious how much nicer the N4's screen is.

That spec list claims 4GB of RAM, anyone think that might be true? The blogs are claiming it might not be but who knows.

The last Nexus already has 2GB, the Moto X will most likely have the same. Are we already running into issues with 2GB where Google feels that the next 7 needs double that amount?

Also, since the new 7 will be announced next week, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the reference device for 4.3 like how the Nexus 10 is the reference device for 4.2.

EDIT: As for the ordering from a store vs Google Play, the issues I've had with the previous N4 I had make me glad I got it from the Play Store and not from somewhere else. The warranty is annoying with you being required to have the full amount in your account BEFORE you order your replacement device, but it's still nice to have your old device while you wait.

I believe this is up to 3 months (or possibly a year).

Another thing is that Play Store devices (at least the Nexus line) have different shipping options now. They have since March 2013. You can order a Nexus 4 with 3-5 day shipping or 2 day.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 18, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Great, so you'll spend 10 extra bucks to get it 2 weeks later than everyone who just walked into a store.
And not have to worry about going through poo poo like this? Sure.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461482&userid=153666#post399981859

e:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

You're gonna have to wait until the end of the year for that.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2013

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Dear Google,

Please refresh the N10 as well.

Kisses,
Fondue

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

Dear Google,

Please refresh the N10 as well.

Kisses,
Fondue

Refresh it with what exactly? There's not much higher end in terms of screen or processor yet. Do you just want a materials refresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

That spec list claims 4GB of RAM, anyone think that might be true? The blogs are claiming it might not be but who knows.

I'm going to copy this straight from Reddit so I don't have to try to type it all out and get things wrong:

bluetrance posted:

RAM chips are specced in bits, not bytes, so 256Mx16 is a 4Mega*bit* chip in a 256Mega*bit* cell by 16 rows layout.

Divide by 8 (8 bits = 1 byte) and you see it's a 512Mega*byte* chip.

If you look at the board spec, it says 2G, so the Nexus will most likely have 2Giga*bytes* of RAM using four of those 512Mega*byte* chips.