Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JethroMcB posted:

At this point the show is like 75% just Doc and Jackson arguing with each other in funny voices, and it works because the voices really are that good. Doc Hammer has said his basis for Red Mantle is "Drunk Obi-Wan Kenobi," which is just wonderful (And, when you're listening for it, spot on!)

Wha? How? Neither one of them sound remotely like Kenobi IMO...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

door Door door posted:

Just realized that for seasons 2-4 they had incredibly epic sounding titles. "What Color is Your Cleansuit?" was an excellent episode but the titles pales a bit in comparison to "Powerless in the Face of Death," "Shadowman 9 in the Cradle of Destiny," and "Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel."

I also absolutely love all the absurd villains the creators come up with. This was an amazing episode.

edit: I just realized we're probably going to be seeing Dermott coping with the (actual? believed?) death of a man he just discovered was his father. Should lead to some good character development.

It's a reference to "How Green Was Your Valley," a movie awful mining conditions.

The color of the clean suits were green.

My guess!

VV huh, that fits better i guess.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's also the book "What Color is your Parachute"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Additionally inside the crypt the OSI team has headshots of Dragoon and Mantle before they were joined pinned to the wall.

Outdated intel, presumably.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

JethroMcB posted:

Still kinda wish they had left Billy's arm unexplained forever, because "That's an excellent question; I have no idea." was among the show's greatest punchlines. The episode that gave us all the backstory was wonderful, but...something about the concept of a brilliant, discredited hydrocephalitic living with a mechanical limb and not giving a poo poo about where it came from. That's comedy.

Have no fear, citizen, your precious joke remains unharmed for Master Billy Quizboy, Boy Genius didn't remember a thing until "The Invisible Hand of Fate."

I don't know why I typed like that. It felt right.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The supervillain names/designs make me wonder if they had Ben Edlund in to work on the show again.

I thought the same thing. Don Hell's reminded me of when the Tick went to the superhero club.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure that Jackson came up with Phantom Limb while working on the Tick, but knew that wouldn't work on a kids show.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!
So I watched this again last night, and find myself really hoping that Vendata isn't dead, and that he appears again in a later episode. Sure, he may be a super villain, but I just can't help but empathize with the poor guy

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sash! posted:

What do you think was going on when Colonel Venture was deciding if he'd use the Orb?

That wasn't invisible, I could see everything. :confused:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Wasn't Ghost Robot part of Captain Sunshine's superhero group? I found it weird that Brock referred to him as a civilian.

He's the sidekick for 'US Steel', the pro-wrestler looking guy in American flag spandex from Every Which Way But Zeus

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tacyak posted:

So I watched this again last night, and find myself really hoping that Vendata isn't dead, and that he appears again in a later episode. Sure, he may be a super villain, but I just can't help but empathize with the poor guy

I hope he ends up getting repaired and used as Jonas Jr's butler or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kwyndig posted:

[St. Cloud]Excuse me, I think you mean Gargantua Two, One crashed out in the desert at the start of "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner"[/St. Cloud]

Well thanks, now I have a new way to read every goonsay post.

:goonsay:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Midweek theory to argue over:

Rusty's attitude toward the Orb changed drastically from the episode when he found it and treated it very carefully and said he needed to study it to "The Revenge Society," when he couldn't give less of a poo poo about it. Maybe Rusty was actually competent enough to figure its intended use AND that it was broken.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe he was SUPER competent enough to replace it with a fake.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Rusty's attitude toward the Orb changed drastically from the episode when he found it and treated it very carefully and said he needed to study it to "The Revenge Society," when he couldn't give less of a poo poo about it. Maybe Rusty was actually competent enough to figure its intended use AND that it was broken.

I'd like to think he tried to activate it himself one night after a couple "red mocha coolers" and that's how he knew it was broken.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PostNouveau posted:

Rusty's quite competent at things he actually wants to do. Day to day contract things? He'll half rear end it so hard it's eighth-assed. Walking eyes? Hell yeah he'll build the poo poo out of that.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wearing my Hank Co. shirt today.

Hate having white tshirts. It'll get ruined after like, three wears and demoted to undershirt. But it's such a cool shirt :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sockser posted:

Hate having white tshirts. It'll get ruined after like, three wears and demoted to undershirt. But it's such a cool shirt :(

Djarum posted:

I wish it was dark blue like in the show!

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blairjcampbell/works/10134274-hank-co

Wear that shirt with pride, son!

Red fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sockser posted:

I wish it was dark blue like in the show!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Firebatgyro posted:

He's the sidekick for 'US Steel', the pro-wrestler looking guy in American flag spandex from Every Which Way But Zeus

Oh my god, that makes so much sense. I figured he was made by US Steel.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Firebatgyro posted:

He's also in Handsome Ransom as part of YOUR CHANNEL FIVE ACTION FIVE NEWS TEAM/the Super Gang.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just realized that Galacticon has Galactus' colors.

Pope Guilty posted:

The supervillain names/designs make me wonder if they had Ben Edlund in to work on the show again.

I keep hoping that a cameo from the Tick and Arthur's voice actors will pop in in the show.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Action Tortoise posted:

I just realized that Galacticon has Galactus' colors.

I keep hoping that a cameo from the Tick and Arthur's voice actors will pop in in the show.

Ummm...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cartoon voice actors.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG

Data Graham posted:

Well thanks, now I have a new way to read every goonsay post.

:goonsay:
code:
        ||||||||
    |||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||(--[[[]]]-[[[]]]||||    /
||||(               )|||   /
||||(_________0_____)|||  /
||||                 ||| /
Reading threads in St.Cloud's voice has been a real game changer for me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

KiloVictorDongs posted:

code:
        ||||||||
    |||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||(--[[[]]]-[[[]]]||||    /
||||(               )|||   /
||||(_________0_____)|||  /
||||                 ||| /
Reading threads in St.Cloud's voice has been a real game changer for me.

It's not quite on par with reading alternating posts as 24/21, but it's solid.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Okay I can't figure out who the voice for the boss of the nightclub was, it sounds really familiar but I can't place it. What else is he in? He sounds like Beetlejuice or something.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sudo Echo posted:

Okay I can't figure out who the voice for the boss of the nightclub was, it sounds really familiar but I can't place it. What else is he in? He sounds like Beetlejuice or something.

Don Hell, right? Christopher McCulloch is listed in the credits as his voice.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sudo Echo posted:

You may be surprised to discover, Don Hell is also Jackson Publick.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

prefect posted:

Don Hell, right? Christopher McCulloch is listed in the credits as his voice.

Oh poo poo, it's the gay guys from Superjail! No wonder he sounded so familiar.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sudo Echo posted:

Funny you say that.

Pretty sure one of the writers for VB are on Season 2 of SuperJail.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sudo Echo posted:

It's also Hank, Sgt Hatred, the Monarch, 24, and like a billion other voices from this show, hope that helps.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Were Venturestein and Ghost Lincoln the same voice?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure it is most likely considering the VA roles for nearly every character is done by the writers.

I mean we got some others like Brandom Small etc but it's most likely a yes.

At least they put variation. Unlike South Park.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem when you have a passion project like this is you tend to make a lot of last minute changes and make alot of alterations and those changes are WAY easier to make if the voices of your characters are always available and the easiest way to do that is just make yourself those voices.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Install Gentoo posted:

Rusty's quite competent at things he actually wants to do. Day to day contract things? He'll half rear end it so hard it's eighth-assed. Walking eyes? Hell yeah he'll build the poo poo out of that.

He's a master in bringing things back to life, human or robot. It's pretty funny how Dr. Orpheus calls himself a "necromancer" when it's Rusty who's the true necromancer.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Firebatgyro posted:

Boxer.

He does look like a blend of Lincoln, Uncle Sam, and Rocky so I guess there is a bit wrestler.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 19, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

He's a master in bringing things back to life, human or robot. It's pretty funny how Dr. Orpheus calls himself a "necromancer" when it's Rusty who's the true necromancer.
All the other names are rather goofy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I got my Destiny shirt today. I have to say I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
So my joke theory for the finale: the Monarch, having finally crushed his arch-nemesis upon whom he's wasted decades of his life on some subconscious, borderline-psychotic hatred, realizes how empty his life is without his arch and/or how hollow his victory was as it was completely unplanned and not at his own hands (or he convinces himself it was planned all along, see: realizes how empty his life is), and decides to follow the lead from Rusty's scrapbook, and finally uncover the truth behind his parents, or at least more knowledge than the fact that he's been spending their inheritance on a giant flying cocoon and the Butter-Glider for years, and in the process, discovers Rusty has been re-living the events of "Powerless in the Face of Death" and has been on an almost 24/7 Ecstasy trip with Skye for however long the A-plot of the episode spans in TV-years.