Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Only one of the most popular anime ever which has been running for 17 years with over 700 episodes. Seriously, how do you go into threads and make sweeping generalizations about the state of all anime while being so completely ignorant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ViggyNash posted:

Are there any good detective mystery type shows? I've had a bit of an itch for it since watching Hyouka which did the detective mystery thing amazingly. I tried GoSick but I couldn't deal with it firstly because of the tsundere detective and secondly because Bones doesn't seem to understand what pacing is.

Detective Conan is one of my favorites of all time! Just read the manga. It is superior.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 17, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nipponophile posted:

Only one of the most popular anime ever which has been running for 17 years with over 700 episodes. Seriously, how do you go into threads and make sweeping generalizations about the state of all anime while being so completely ignorant?
As much flack as ViggyNash gets for asking easily answerable questions I didn't immediately think of Conan.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

Are there any good detective mystery type shows? I've had a bit of an itch for it since watching Hyouka which did the detective mystery thing amazingly. I tried GoSick but I couldn't deal with it firstly because of the tsundere detective and secondly because Bones doesn't seem to understand what pacing is.

Try Kami-sama no Memochou. Its somewhere in between Hyouka and Gosick, with more serious cases. Also, I dunno how far you got into Gosick before giving up, but I'd recommend finishing it. Its one of my favorites, even with some of the more contrived cases and plotholes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Monster is pretty much flawlessly, there's also the episodic Master Keaton. Death Note if you want to view it from the other side of things.

There's not an awful lot of straight detective mysteries that aren't more supernatural fantasy things or skew wildly into other genres ultimately to the detriment of the mystery elements. There's a lot of good manga though, mostly by Naoki Urasawa.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

Try Kami-sama no Memochou. Its somewhere in between Hyouka and Gosick, with more serious cases. Also, I dunno how far you got into Gosick before giving up, but I'd recommend finishing it. Its one of my favorites, even with some of the more contrived cases and plotholes.

Kami-sama no Memochou (Heaven's Memo Pad?) sounds interesting enough.

I only got about 4 episodes into Gosick so I'll keep going in hopes of more interesting mysteries.

Zorak posted:

Monster is pretty much flawlessly, there's also the episodic Master Keaton. Death Note if you want to view it from the other side of things.

There's not an awful lot of straight detective mysteries that aren't more supernatural fantasy things or skew wildly into other genres ultimately to the detriment of the mystery elements. There's a lot of good manga though, mostly by Naoki Urasawa.

I've watched Death Note and I loved the story (for the most part), but it isn't really what I had in mind. It's more of a suspense thriller than a methodical mystery.

I've been meaning to watch Monster, but since that's been considered in the simulwatch thread I'll wait until that's definitely off the list.

Master Keaton also sounds pretty interesting and the episodic nature might be more what I was looking for so I'll add that to the list.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ViggyNash posted:

I've been meaning to watch Monster, but since that's been considered in the simulwatch thread I'll wait until that's definitely off the list.
If you're going to wait on Monster, then I recommend reading Pluto, another mystery series by Naoki Urasawa.

Oh, and you might be interested in Soil. Scanlations for it are not finished yet, but it reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks, and its a pretty decent mystery series.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

Master Keaton also sounds pretty interesting and the episodic nature might be more what I was looking for so I'll add that to the list.
Master Keaton is definitely an investigative anime, although I'm not sure I'd describe it as a detective story. In most episodes he's more of a multi-skilled problem solver. Keaton's a great protagonist though - obscenely competent, yet humble and bumbling enough that he doesn't get annoying. His successes come from a deep knowledge of, well, everything, and MacGuyverlike improvisation. The real draw for me when I watched it was its unusual variety, though - in one episode Keaton will be revisiting his childhood summer home in Japan, in another he'll be defusing IRA bombs.

There's also a strong emphasis on geopolitics and history that it shares with Monster. There are plenty of references to WWII and the Cold War, while Keaton has his own theories about a prehistorical civilisation in mainland Europe (he's also an archaeologist).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is there anything similar to Parasyte, but animated? It's the only manga I've ever read through twice, and I really enjoyed it, despite its flaws

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 17, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Q.E.D. is basically Encyclopedia Brown in manga format solving murders.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character

It's Batou. It's always Batou.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Little late on that reply, but you are indeed correct. The answer is always Batou.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KittyEmpress posted:

Is there anything similar to Parasyte, but animated? It's the only manga I've ever read through twice, and I really enjoyed it, despite its flaws

The first thing that comes to mind with a mix of body horror and shounen stuff is The Guyver, unfortunately none of the animated versions of it are that great, though the 12 part 90's OVA is amusing enough in that super gory 90's OVA way, but the animation gets really terrible during the later episodes. The manga is pretty good though, even if it is reaching Berserk levels of still not being finished after 20 years (last time I heard, anyway).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I tried another episode of Gosick at your(Blhue's) suggestion and its still a pain to get through. The characters continue to be grating and boring, the pacing is still terrible and subdues what would be a rather fascinating or touching moment with minimal effort, and now Victorique seems to be pulling details out of her rear end.

As far as the mystery element of the show, this show takes grandiose mysteries and resolves them in mediocre fashions. By comparison, Hyouka took the mediocre and made it a fascinating puzzle to solve. I'll try out your other suggestion instead.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Can I ask in this thread about anime I might watch?

I was thinking of watching valvrave the liberator, but was curious about how similar it might be to code geass. Does it give me a emotional roller coaster ride midway through a season and a badly resolved ending season 1 that has to be wrapped up during season 2?

EDIT:Removing tear jerker feels as that seems to be a terrible word to use

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 18, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

I was thinking of watching valvrave the liberator, but was curious about how similar it might be to code geass. Does it give me tear jerker feels midway through a season and a badly resolved ending season 1 that has to be wrapped up during season 2?

Please please for the love of god don't say poo poo like 'feels'. Like, ever again.

It has another season coming in fall, no it doesn't wrap up at the end of season 1, it's vaguely like code geass. I really liked it, and I'm very excited for more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

I was thinking of watching valvrave the liberator, but was curious about how similar it might be to code geass. Does it give me tear jerker feels midway through a season and a badly resolved ending season 1 that has to be wrapped up during season 2?

My opinion seems on Code Geass seems to be a minuscule minority so keep that in mind.

Code Geass is much more serious and has amazing writing. Valverave is a glorious train wreck of nonsense that didn't know if it wanted to be serious or insane. Valverave has lots of shock moments but they tend to be so ridiculous that they're more amusing than emotional. Then that episode happened and the Valverave thread collectively poo poo itself because the show crossed a line. So in some ways yes, other no.

Also, "tear jerker feels" makes you sound like a pretentious moron. It's neither funny, eloquent, nor descriptive so don't use that phrase again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Chillyrabbit posted:

I was thinking of watching valvrave the liberator, but was curious about how similar it might be to code geass. Does it give me a emotional roller coaster ride midway through a season and a badly resolved ending season 1 that has to be wrapped up during season 2?

I only made it through like 4 episodes of Valverave, so take this with a grain of salt. From what I saw, Valverave lacks the twinge of self-awareness that made Code Geass fun. Valverave is a dumb, over-the-top show that takes itself deadly serious. It's much closer to Guilty Crown than it is to Code Geass.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Redcrimson posted:

I only made it through like 4 episodes of Valverave, so take this with a grain of salt. From what I saw, Valverave lacks the twinge of self-awareness that made Code Geass fun. Valverave is a dumb, over-the-top show that takes itself deadly serious. It's much closer to Guilty Crown than it is to Code Geass.

The direction is self aware (see that one hilarious bit of direction of that one kid getting shot in a hallway, then L-Elf comes around in the exact same way with the exact same camera angles and everyone just inexplicably misses him). Whether the writing is tends to depend on the episode. I'm of the opinion that the writing is mostly self-aware to an extent, but still thinks that it deserves to be taken seriously in places where it really really doesn't.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
thanks for all the opinions seems like it wouldn't be my cup of tea then. Because guilty crown wasn't something I liked that much.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Just for the record, I'd disagree with what Redcrimson said about that.

Valvrave didn't annoy me even half as much as Guilty Crown did, precisely because it wasn't nearly as dark nor as serious in comparison.

I'd still put the better parts of Code Geass way ahead of Valvrave, but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

With only having the first half of Valvrave to judge, I'll say that Geass is the better show.

I do like Valvrave though, and I found it to be about a million times more watchable than Guilty Crown ever was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I have my misgivings about Valvrave but I was thoroughly entertained all the way through.

I couldn't finish the first episode of Guilty Crown.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Aoi no Hana is probably your best bet, although it lacks one of the main things that Sasameko Koto does well in that's it exists in 'everyone's a lesbian' paradise that 99% of yuri shows exist in,rather than the real world.
This series was really interesting! Constantly changing it up and focusing on different characters, you really get a sense that it's not just about the two main characters. It's got the "99% of the characters are lesbians" thing of course, but I guess that comes with the territory, right? It does have non-lesbians too in the main cast, overall it's a pretty good series! Also it seems it's been scanlated up to the second to last chapter, with that being almost two months ago. Of course. :suicide: It's supposedly licensed for reading on jmanga but I recall something bad going down with them a few months back, and they don't seem to have it on their site anymore either.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation. Definitely an interesting read, and definitely doesn't pan out like you'd expect(at least, so far) such as confessing to someone who isn't necessarily gay, but isn't sure, and the results from that. Probably my biggest complaint is as a series it's rather aloof with scene transitions and passage of time. Like it'll go into a flashback but it'll be hard to notice and suddenly the characters are elementary school kids on the next page, or it cuts to a completely different set of characters without warning(sometimes 3-4 times in as many pages!) and often it can be confusing who is who outside of Fumi and Akira. While it does have the basket-full-of-lesbians issue that Sasameki Koto handled much more smoothly, it avoids the really painful filler and I don't think there was more than a single chapter, if that, that I'd call extraneous.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 18, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

thanks for all the opinions seems like it wouldn't be my cup of tea then. Because guilty crown wasn't something I liked that much.

Valverave is faaaaar better than that. Despite its ridiculousness, it has quite a few merits and I would recommend it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:doh: Well poo poo, the only reason I didn't suggest that over in the other thread is because I didn't think you'd like its languorous pacing. Glad to hear you liked it, Shimura is one of my favorite manga artists, I especially love her line-work and every time she busts out the watercolors. If you're on the adtrw wiki you should add to its page!

As far as Girl Friends goes, it's not "moe" if by that you mean it's the old "four girls hang out in a club, nothing much happens" sense. It's almost laser focused on the main character realising she's gay and is falling for her best friend, and the whole plot moves along at a pretty good clip. Unlike both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto the side cast isn't noticeable at all, the two leads are fine, the rest of the cast is just kind of there.

If it still doesn't look like something you'd like you should check out anything by Takemiya Jin, her work is probably tied with Shimura for being some of my favorite. She's also an out lesbian herself, which might help with how real her characters feel.

And, in case you didn't know, both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto had 12 episode anime versions produced. Sasameki Koto is actually up on crunchyroll and Aoi Hana just got a US dvd release a while back, both stop before the stories really get rolling (Aoi Hana at least covers the whole of Fumi and Sugimoto's relationship), but are still nice to watch if you're a fan. Aoi Hana's anime is really nice looking and Sasameki Koto's isn't without its charms.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 19, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks for that, at the moment I think I'm going to go through the few straight romances that were suggested, but feel free to suggest either. Also, I usually don't like anime adaptations that are really just 12-episode LN/mangabait, I've seen a few but they have usually been rushed, and then you have ones like Devil Is A Part-Timer where the anime is apparently better than the LN/manga and really should be continued in that medium.

edit:

quote:

As far as Girl Friends goes, it's not "moe" if by that you mean it's the old "four girls hang out in a club, nothing much happens" sense. It's almost laser focused on the main character realising she's gay and is falling for her best friend, and the whole plot moves along at a pretty good clip. Unlike both Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto the side cast isn't noticeable at all, the two leads are fine, the rest of the cast is just kind of there.
Also I meant "moe" as in, man, everyone is ultraflowery and cutesy and there's little puffs and sparkles on every page I saw. Maybe not the right word, but I dunno what the right word for it would be. I'll check it out sometime.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 19, 2013

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Well then I guess I'll give it 3 episodes to convince me since we are a bit divided, I just didn't want to waste my time downloading and watching it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I haven't seen Pacific Rim but you should check out Gunbuster.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are so many kinds of giant robot anime that surprisingly you're probably going to have to be more specific. Do you want something more about war and politics? Then yeah Gundam would probably work. Want more something with over the top action and/or something that doesn't take itself too seriously? There's GunBuster/Die Buster, Giant Robo, and Gurren Lagann. Maybe a slower, day to day, slice of life approach? Patlabor! Maybe you woke up one day and thought to yourself that what you needed in your life was a show where giant robots surfed through the air, in which case you'd want Eureka seveN (watch this show anyway, it owns). Sky's the limit, really. And there are of course plenty of ones that do have a high school setting.

Evangelion is kind of a different beast altogether and probably not what you're looking (at least if you really do want something upbeat), but give the OP of the Eva thread a read to learn more.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Precambrian posted:

So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational.

Gunparade March is literally Giant Robot High.

e: vvv Full Metal Panic is also an excellent recommendation.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

While I haven't seen it, I understand Full Metal Panic is pretty much 'a bunch of robot pilots attempt to infiltrate a high school' at least early on. Though I can't vouch for quality - I haven't seen it, and I have friends who love it but I have also heard from folks who hate it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

There's Code Geass (although it might not fit your definition of upbeat).

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
The closest things to what you're looking for are Gunbuster and Patlabor: The Early Days, they embody what you asked for pretty much perfectly.

I'd honestly suggest avoiding Evangelion entirely because it will skew your view of these kind of shows in the wrong way and that's not bueno.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Precambrian posted:

I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

Evangelion is pretty much the polar opposite of what you're looking for. It's Robot High School from the point of view of the angsty, cynical, emotionally disturbed, and socially awkward teenager that literally gets beat up on the very first day of school. It's less of a Giant Robot Show and more of a Psychological Character Study.

As per your actual request, Code Geass and Gurren Lagann.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

Aquarion EVOL.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
G Gundam sounds like the Gundam people have been saying sounds close to what you're looking for, I'd wager. Probably a good idea to watch some of the newer shows people have recommended to you already before that one, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Redcrimson posted:

Evangelion is pretty much the polar opposite of what you're looking for. It's Robot High School from the point of view of the angsty, cynical, emotionally disturbed, and socially awkward teenager that literally gets beat up on the very first day of school. It's less of a Giant Robot Show and more of a Psychological Character Study.
Evangelion is Giant Robot Middle School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

It's not what you said you were looking for but you should watch The Big O because it's Batman the Animated Series only with giant robots.

• Locked thread