Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
You block. The whole point of batmans trait is to allow him the chance to safely begin pressuring you, typically using his retarded j2. Basically you have to learn how big j2s hitbox is, and at which jump distances it will or won't cross up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
That's kind of Batman's thing. Sometimes I walk back to try to create some space so that they won't be able to crossup and do a MB b3.(That's worked for me before just throwing it out in a match but after spending a bunch of time in practice with it, it seems like a pretty bad idea) Try to block. Most of the time as Lex I have an orb up in that match and that usually stops them from even trying it. What else you can do depends on the character. Pressing buttons is what he wants you to do so don't do that.

IronMcHardSteel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 17, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

WarEternal posted:

Batman's J2 hitbox is pretty much just supreme bullshit, especially online. Which character are you playing?

I was Bane, and yeah I know he has all kinds of problems with the Batman matchup. I was hoping for more general stuff because my two friends and I were playing in a public KOTH room and this guy ran two complete laps on a 6 person room using this brain-dead tactic and none of us scrubs could figure out what to do. So I was hoping that there was something obvious that I was overlooking.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You block. The whole point of batmans trait is to allow him the chance to safely begin pressuring you, typically using his retarded j2. Basically you have to learn how big j2s hitbox is, and at which jump distances it will or won't cross up.

The problem is that the cross-up was VERY ambiguous, and it was very sad because the last half of the second lap through the room people were just completely smothered and trying to find answers while they blocked through it and about half the time they would guess wrong on the cross-up and be taken for a ride to the tune of 33% of their health, and then of course in a couple of seconds Batman had anothert trait bat...just really disheartening to see such a brain-dead tactic be so effective against such a large number of people but what can you do? Can you push-block the bat trait? Anyway thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I'll work on understanding that awful j2 a little bit better.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

WarEternal posted:

MB B3s and F3s are for when you know your opponent is going to throw out a normal and you can armor through it and get a combo on them.

That's sort of why I asked specifically for Wonder Woman, she doesn't really have any problems in that area that I've found.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got stomped by a rushdown Batman that spammed trait bats at me while he jumped in on a very ambiguous crossup (I don't think even he knew which side it was going to hit on). D2 obviously doesn't work in this situation, so even though I knew it was coming I couldn't find a way out. I haven't had a chance to go to the lab, but does anyone have any advice on where I should start on this one? I tried d2, backdashing, or neutral jump 1 or 2 and I was either trading, losing ground, or getting full-combo'd. Thank you in advance.

You can push block if you can spare the meter, or trade with him in the air to make him eventually stop.

Or just use Scorpion Superman. :smug:

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe

Can you push-block the bat trait?

No.

A level 3 venom boosted venom uppercut or double punch seem to beat it most of the time. If he only has one bat you don't need level 3 venom boost. Not sure about 2 bats.

IronMcHardSteel fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 17, 2013

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

That's sort of why I asked specifically for Wonder Woman, she doesn't really have any problems in that area that I've found.

For Batman's J2: I pretty much only play Wonder Woman. As far as I've seen there's not much you can do. Parry doesn't work, her lasso twirl thing doesn't work, D2 doesn't work. I'm still stuck on this myself.

Edit: I still love Fortress of Solitude (Laboratory) so many free hits from people jumping for the interactable. I love it.

Edit2: There's not much use to use her MB F3 other than what was already stated. Except it's great for a corner mixup and you don't want to MB B3 because of a transition.

Edit 3: All of the edits.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 17, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Whelp, a Hawkgirl player (Husky Brown) just took down the EVO champion 2-0. Yep, still don't think Supes is too overpowered.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Krad posted:

Whelp, a Hawkgirl player (Husky Brown) just took down the EVO champion 2-0. Yep, still don't think Supes is too overpowered.

I must see these matches!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Injustice is off stream right now but it'll come back later on. KDZ pretty much had no idea what to do against Hawkgirl and her flight. It'll show up in the archives at some point, I'm sure.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I can almost 100% guarantee that it happened because no one knows how to fight hawkgirl. Not to discredit the player but I doubt it will happen again since KDZ is going to study that matchup now. A single 2 matxh set is not indicative of anything at all really.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/432056178?t=01h15m15s

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I can almost 100% guarantee that it happened because no one knows how to fight hawkgirl. Not to discredit the player but I doubt it will happen again since KDZ is going to study that matchup now. A single 2 matxh set is not indicative of anything at all really.

I dunno man, he knew when to poke with d1 which, once again, most of these pros don't seem to use too often. It looked like he knew what he was doing, kinda.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I regularly blow up tryhard supermen in ranked with my hawkgirl. If superman tries to zone too much or constantly air dashes it's an easy win. It's always mostly due to people not knowing the matchup though. I've never done any long sets.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I can start a room on xbl if any goons want to play this game.

Room name: GoonJustice

deepshock fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 18, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Holy Calamity! posted:

I regularly blow up tryhard supermen in ranked with my hawkgirl. If superman tries to zone too much or constantly air dashes it's an easy win. It's always mostly due to people not knowing the matchup though. I've never done any long sets.

There's a difference between tryhard xbl supermen and the evo winner you silly man, I've played your hawkgirl before and it is...unpredictable is a word I guess!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Well yeah, and my Hawkgirl is 100% about taking favorable matchups and outguessing my opponents. No combos whatsoever, but a better player could take my setups and string them into combos. And it has gotten a lot better since I played you last :shobon: The point is that Hawkgirl has some good tech for Superman, namely a Superman who's primary mode of transportation is airdash, like his. He also tends to sit back and zone quite a bit. I haven't watched the matches yet so maybe neither of those came into play though.

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
Good games deepshock you definitely got better.

Holy Calamity! posted:

Well yeah, and my Hawkgirl is 100% about taking favorable matchups and outguessing my opponents.

This made me laugh for a really long time. Thank you.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

IronMcHardSteel posted:

Good games deepshock you definitely got better.

Really? Thanks. If I can take a single match off of you that is a massive improvement.

Also, what am I supposed to do against okizeme EX Orbital? I can't dash in or out or even jump. If you time it right, as far as I know, you can just blow your entire load of meter without consequence.

Edit: Feel free to ignore that PM of mine. It was frustration talking (self-directed, not at you.)

deepshock fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 18, 2013

IronMcHardSteel
Mar 29, 2010
Fun Shoe
Right now you are staying at full screen too often. You should stay in a range where you can do hit with his air projectile and ring lift at least. As far as I know there isn't a way out of the missles when they get started at fullscreen. Maybe try that turbine charge in practice?

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

IronMcHardSteel posted:

This made me laugh for a really long time. Thank you.

Yeah, I guess the description does basically encompass most strategies in most fighting games ever. I'm still up like 5 games against your lex with her :shobon:

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

IronMcHardSteel posted:

Right now you are staying at full screen too often. You should stay in a range where you can do hit with his air projectile and ring lift at least. As far as I know there isn't a way out of the missles when they get started at fullscreen. Maybe try that turbine charge in practice?

Sure thing. I'll try to get in to at least halfscreen more often, at least against Luthor.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Just wanted to gloat about my 37 game winning streak with Batgirl!!! I even played a couple guys that had 1,000+ wins.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
:laffo: Yeah I just watched those matches and that's my Hawkgirl. Told you I was playing her right, Hardsteel :colbert:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
So I picked this up the other day and have been putting in a lot of time looking at catwoman combos and beating them into my muscle memory. So far my biggest problem is getting zoned out, she can dodge projectiles but it doesn't really help close the gap against any zoning whatsoever. I attempt to dash forward and crouch to block but it rarely works well enough.

How should I be safely closing the gap with her, she's ridiculously vulnerable.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Last night's WNF finals were pretty damned great if you want to see some competitive Zod:

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/432121300?t=04h16m00s

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hahah, that commentary owns.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Some dude named Phosferrax posted some interesting thoughts on evaluating Zod without his trait:

quote:

Zod's upclose game without trait is not about being in someones face pushing buttons or pressuring them as he has no pressure, it is about getting them back out again. None of Zods strings are punishable because on block every string ends with phantom strike which can't be interrupted and leaves Zod at -2 with slight pushback. From here, backdash or parry are your best option to put space between you and your opponent and once those option are respected you can start to press buttons after phantom strike.

His fastest starter is d12. Don't think of it as a d1, think of it as a 7f mid-hitting combo starter. Never EVER just do d1, always do d12 hit-confirm as with a d1 on hit you have wasted a combo opportunity and d12 on block is only -1. On block this leaves you with all the same options as a phantom strike. Use d12 to react to dash-ins and make sure you don't waste the meter by inputting close laser regardless.

His only strings that are advantage on block are 112 (approx. +5), 22 (+1) and b23 (+2). The thing is that with Injustice, small block advantage isn't straight forward, there is always a mix-up between whether your opponent backdashes and the whole meta-game that branches from that, except in the corner of course. But Zod wants them to backdash as it opens up his zoning options again. As usual, once they stop doing that, you can utilise your advantage, or can even backdash yourself.

In the corner, if the opponent blocks 112, go for 22, and if they block that go for d12. This is the advantage pyramid, make them respect it and you can start doing other poo poo. Again, once your advantage comes to an end, your initial objective is to get out of there face.

Now, make sure you know the spacing of Phantom Strike perfectly. This is his best footsies tool with its relatively fast start-up, big range and hitbox and its options on hit/block.

Zod's upclose game is fairly straight forward, he was not designed to mash buttons in the opponents face all day.

Zoning

I will start off by saying that Instant Air Zod Ball (IAZB) is his best zoning asset. This move has so much potential and should be used as your main option every time you can score a knockdown. It is better than regular zod ball in nearly every way and once an IAZB is out (especially the slow one) Zod has command of the screen. The start-up and recovery is better than regular Zod ball, but most important is that on block they grant massive advantage, which standing zod balls do not.

However, they only hit high. This means that once a slow IAZB is on the screen, the opponent will have to sit there crouching to avoid being hit by it. Zod plays his game when this move is active; if the opponent is crouching to avoid it then you can Instant Air Zod Charge (IAZC) to get into their face and attempt a throw or an ambiguous cross-up (There may be some dirt based around a throw and the Zod ball but I can't test it right now), or you can use it to set-up more zoning or even get trait out.

I don't know what to make of mb Air Zod balls yet, them seem at the moment to be a waste of meter but maybe they can be used to set up some unblockable situations in conjunction with lasers.

Learn the spacing for lasers and learn to watch your opponent; input the laser command and watch for any movement to quickly input the distance command: this is a big asset for any Zod player. Combining IAZB and mb laser can create massive chip-out situations to win a game if you're packing the meter; a mb laser on block allows for a IAZB which means they either have to jump or crouch, resulting in either an IAZC or another mb laser, both of which set-up for more zoning shenanigans.

I don't know how I feel about mb sidearm. The regular move is a great fast projectile which is a staple of Zod's zoning, but i'm not sure if the mb version is worth the extra meter. I was thinking of it as a better version of Sinestro's mb projectile, but Zod has more diverse options. Still, on block it is +3 and on hit grants good advantage to get a IAZB out with appropriate spacing.

Zod Charge is straight forward, if they're being cocky in their approach, throw it out in the appropriate range, but always use Phantom Strike over Zod Charge when you can. ZC is good for reversing positions so when you've cornered yourself, you can either Air Zod Charge to get out, or confirm a string/combo into ZC to corner them and open up the rest of the screen again. Don't go putting yourself in the corner because you wanted the extra %2 on a combo. If they jump midscreen then IAZC them. Make sure they know that they can't jump to avoid your zoning. The same with intractables, if you thinking they'll go for it then use ZC. It's a really great way to counter the intractable, then you can use it on them after the ZC has hit.

Speaking of which, make sure you utilise your spacing in combos so that you always have the majority of the screen to work with and remember that Phantom Strike on hit is better for setting up IAZB's which is why I favour ending combos with it over ZC.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Dan Didio posted:

Hahah, that commentary owns.

"Oh LOOK AT HIS BEARD!"

"His arms are made of Kryp-Tony-ite."

Who are these guys?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 18, 2013

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Aris and Rip. They kinda rule.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Foodahn posted:

Except for aris being a disgusting pile of poo poo but yeah ok

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Foodahn posted:

Oh dang, that's Aris? Hmm, I didn't recognize his voice. Yeah he's kind of in the skeezeball books after the whole Cross Assault thing.

BACK ON TOPIC: rare footage of Zod actually being played well? Those corner rifle loops... delicious.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

strangemusic posted:

Oh dang, that's Aris? Hmm, I didn't recognize his voice. Yeah he's kind of in the skeezeball books after the whole Cross Assault thing.

BACK ON TOPIC: rare footage of Zod actually being played well? Those corner rifle loops... delicious.

That was my first time seeing some Zod play. Character looks pretty awesome!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Has Aris ever apologized for being such a huge piece of poo poo?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Has Aris ever apologized for being such a huge piece of poo poo?

It was a really half-assed "I'm sorry if you're offended" kind of apology.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Krad posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Injustice is off stream right now but it'll come back later on. KDZ pretty much had no idea what to do against Hawkgirl and her flight. It'll show up in the archives at some point, I'm sure.

I hope people trolled him about the SKILL GAP.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Sorry guys I always miss message notifications for invites. I'll send one out.

Edit: None of you are playing Injustice at the moment. Catch you guys later.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

strangemusic posted:

Yeah he's kind of in the skeezeball books after the whole Cross Assault thing.

What is this? I assumed Yolo Wizard just called him a disgusting pile of poo poo because.. physically he looks like a disgusting pile of poo poo

EDIT: Googled. Oh gosh... Now I am ashamed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've barely played with Zod but I love that air dash of his.

Foodahn posted:

What is this? I assumed Yolo Wizard just called him a disgusting pile of poo poo because.. physically he looks like a disgusting pile of poo poo

Google "cross assault incident" and you should find like a ton of poo poo about it. It was kind of all over the gaming news last year? Not sure how you missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

It was kind of all over the gaming news last year?

That would be how I missed it.

• Locked thread