Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Autonomous Monster posted:

A lot of fancy poo poo
However, I still hold that there's going to need to be a new type of POP to adequately handle modern economies effectively, and thus some sort of tie-in to the RGO system. Just as a limitation of the Vicky engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It should be noted that clerks are called engineers in the Modern Day Mod. As far as actual factories are concerned, that sort of makes sense, but it means the whole managerial level needs to be taken care of. You can't really make all of them capitalists.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I've only recently jumped on the Paradox boat so bear with me here. Will EU IV have one of the defining features of the period - transatlantic slavery? I'm not looking for a middle passage simulator here just some recognition that it existed and was instrumental in the economies of the seafaring Imperial nations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Slaves are a trade commodity in EU3 (Every province in the game has one big "trade commodity" that affects the value of trade to and from there) so I imagine that hasn't changed in 4.

I should note that in 3 though slaves were one of the least profitable commodities, and there weren't like events that talked about it or anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
With how trading has changed in EU4 I hope it has. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to be shipping slaves to your European trading port.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ofaloaf posted:

Had any of those guys ever played any Civ game before ever?

No. Literally, not a single one. Ross played like, a few turns before they actually started filming, that's it.

It took them 3 and a half hours to learn how to set up catapults. They never realized they could found a religion. I almost want to see them play Crusader Kings II for the horror of it.

No! Better! Victoria I/Hearts of Iron III Double Feature.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 18, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Beamed posted:

However, I still hold that there's going to need to be a new type of POP to adequately handle modern economies effectively, and thus some sort of tie-in to the RGO system. Just as a limitation of the Vicky engine

What did you have in mind? :crossarms: A new primary-sector worker (:confused:)? A split of the actuarial/managerial types from STEM Clerks? Something to differentiate retail wage slaves from manufacturing wage slaves?

RagnarokAngel posted:

I should note that in 3 though slaves were one of the least profitable commodities, and there weren't like events that talked about it or anything.

There were slave revolts, and abolition decision. Not much, but there is a little.

uPen posted:

With how trading has changed in EU4 I hope it has. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to be shipping slaves to your European trading port.

Last time I checked, the way the trade network works, all trade flows to Flanders or Venice. No Africa -> America edges.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

What did you have in mind? :crossarms: A new primary-sector worker (:confused:)? A split of the actuarial/managerial types from STEM Clerks? Something to differentiate retail wage slaves from manufacturing wage slaves?

Given that you don't need slave pops for modern day V2, you could just repurpose the Slave pop into something new for modern day, couldn't you? If you're really good at modding, you could replace the graphic associated with the slave pop with something for maybe a new retail pop.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Brings new meaning to the term wage slave :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rejected Fate posted:

So is it just me or does cultural conversion in EU4 seem a bit... easy?
It's not just you. I get that doing cultural conversion means you're not doing other stuff, but still, cultural conversion is a pretty major thing. Depending on how moddable the cost is, it might not be such a big isue though. If you can mod it so it's not allowed until the mid-late game, either by simply adding a year=xxxx condition, or by adding a harsh cost modifier before that point, you might be able to make it more sensible. Making it vary by culture*/region would be another thing that could make the system more sensible, allowing Russia to cheaply assimilate the Tatars while others have to really consider if it's worth it. As is, it seems like England/GB will have a much easier time of converting Ireland than Russia in the steppes, even though in real life the Brits just managed to kinda get Ulster while the Russians expanded their cultural sphere like crazy.

*As in these culture can assimilate these specific cultures faster, not just a straight up bonus across the board.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Given that you don't need slave pops for modern day V2, you could just repurpose the Slave pop into something new for modern day, couldn't you? If you're really good at modding, you could replace the graphic associated with the slave pop with something for maybe a new retail pop.

I'm already in the works to modify the pop images with modern day variants (that match the mod). This is a pretty genius idea I will run by guy handling the mod. I have no idea how difficult it would be to modify at this time, though I know at least one of the pops (Clergy) has already been overhauled for the modern day mod.

Edit: This is the mod that changes Clergy.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 18, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Aren't slaves hard coded to not be allowed to vote?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ArchangeI posted:

Aren't slaves hard coded to not be allowed to vote?

They have the is_slave = yes property, which, among other things, prevents them from voting, yes. It'll take all of five seconds to strip that out, though, if you want to repurpose them.

Or you could just straight up add a new poptype. :geno:

e: No, actually, they have an allowed_to_vote = no line as well :v:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 18, 2013

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

ExtraNoise posted:

I'm already in the works to modify the pop images with modern day variants (that match the mod). This is a pretty genius idea I will run by guy handling the mod. I have no idea how difficult it would be to modify at this time, though I know at least one of the pops (Clergy) has already been overhauled for the modern day mod.

Edit: This is the mod that changes Clergy.

That's pretty smart, actually.

Now someone needs to make a mod that renames 'slaves' into 'illegal immigrants'. You can keep the same icon.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Like I kind of tried addressing in a previous post, a transition from RGOs being things like fruit, timber, etc. primarily into things like Manufacturing, Entertainment, etc. seems almost necessary, with current-Factories helping signify the difference between American manufacturing and Chinese manufacturing: high-tech/electronic kinds of things. The RGOs become service-based is something I consider necessary simply because otherwise you're going to have Craftsmen/Clerks as 90-100% of a country's workforce, which I don't think the engine is set to handle, and a restructuring of the economy would probably be beneficial.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rejected Fate posted:

So is it just me or does cultural conversion in EU4 seem a bit... easy?

Obviously we haven't played it yet, but I agree.

Going to put money down that it gets heavily nerfed/modified in an early patch.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Is it worth it to pre-order the digital deluxe edition for another £5? It's mostly Muslim DLC right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Raserys posted:

No. Literally, not a single one. Ross played like, a few turns before they actually started filming, that's it.

It took them 3 and a half hours to learn how to set up catapults. They never realized they could found a religion. I almost want to see them play Crusader Kings II for the horror of it.

No! Better! Victoria I/Hearts of Iron III Double Feature.
Paradox should jump on the early release/promotion train so we can see a Game Grumps/Steam Train EU4 set of videos.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Fintilgin posted:

I'm watching the Ottoman stream that I somehow missed ( http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/412171031 ) and they say you can only switch culture in provinces that are cored and of your religion. They also say you can only core stuff adjacent to existing cores. That's quite a bit of money, points and time you're spending on the culture switch, at least for conquered stuff. It's obviously quite easy for England to culture switch Wales since they already fulfill the 2 prerequisites, but it's not like you can go conquer Morocco and turn its inhabitants into Englishmen.

Also still maintaining that quill18 was a good choice because he explains everything (although sometimes not 100% correct, but he usually fixes mistakes in subsequent episodes) and does so at a good pace. These Paradox streams are just a huge mess, sorry guys. Instead of having 2 people play, you should try having one player and one narrator.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Tartan Tory posted:

Is it worth it to pre-order the digital deluxe edition for another £5? It's mostly Muslim DLC right?

There's like 6 different DLCs that you'll get for the deluxe edition, IIRC. The other one that I can recall off-hand is Byzantium-flavored DLC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fintilgin posted:

On the other hand, keep in mind that every time you do it you're delaying your next administration tech or idea by a few months.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vodos posted:

They also say you can only core stuff adjacent to existing cores.

Huh. No coring overseas? I like that change, if true.

Sindai posted:

On the other hand, keep in mind that every time you do it you're delaying your next administration tech or idea by a few months.

Yeah, fair enough. It may be perfectly fine, but my gut says culture changes should be very rare.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Part 4 is up :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4GQTiknrA

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Huh. No coring overseas? I like that change, if true.
What about, say, China coring Taiwan or Malacca coring other parts of Indonesia? There has to be some ability to overseas core!

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Well it could be that they were just mistaken on the stream, Johan said something like you can only core next to your cores or in the vicinity, whatever that means. Quill was certainly able to core the Irish provinces as England.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

*Mistakes enemy general for his own* "Yep, we've got a general"
"We got some money so we can pay of our loans" *Extends loan*

These videos really make me want to play the game, just to do play the game right. Don't think I'm not on to you Paradox! :colbert: Joke's on you though, because I've already pre-ordered. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's like 6 different DLCs that you'll get for the deluxe edition, IIRC. The other one that I can recall off-hand is Byzantium-flavored DLC.

http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

Naw, digital EXTREME EDITION gets 3 Ottoman flavored dlcs. The other stuff both versions get, deluxe or not.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I was irrationally upset that he didn't move a sieging force into Flanders and then move the other force up to evict the sieging force in Calais. He's doing a pretty good job nonetheless. I'm excited about the diplomatic options too.

e: I think somebody said at some point that you can core provinces that share a seazone with one of your provinces.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It must be intentional, there is no way he could legitimately be that bad at it. I'm terrible at this game, yet somehow I'm better than him at it. I wish I could do a video to put on Youtube, because I think this guy is actually hurting Paradox's PR efforts rather than helping.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And the whole time while while he was fighting Burgundy, and leaving tiny stacks all over the the place to get chewed up, he left 5 regiments just sitting uselessly in Aquitaine.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

I guess I'm weird then because I value his clear and fluid narration way higher than the gameplay mistakes. I've never seen someone doing real-time narration play flawlessly.
Try watching this official Paradox stream if you think quill is hurting their PR because I couldn't even finish watching that one, it has both terrible gameplay and terrible narration: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/425321673
Playing a game while communicating what you're doing and why is hard, you can't completely focus on the game and therefore you miss stuff, especially in PDS games. Johan is probably playing the best out of all the PDS streamers but that's because he either devolves into mumbling while focusing on the game or just stops talking mid sentence or completely ignores questions while he's busy in the game.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Vodos posted:

I guess I'm weird then because I value his clear and fluid narration way higher than the gameplay mistakes. I've never seen someone doing real-time narration play flawlessly.
Try watching this official Paradox stream if you think quill is hurting their PR because I couldn't even finish watching that one, it has both terrible gameplay and terrible narration: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/425321673
Playing a game while communicating what you're doing and why is hard, you can't completely focus on the game and therefore you miss stuff, especially in PDS games. Johan is probably playing the best out of all the PDS streamers but that's because he either devolves into mumbling while focusing on the game or just stops talking mid sentence or completely ignores questions while he's busy in the game.
Yeah, for that reason I like Quill. I want to know how the game works, not how to beat it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I do admit I wince every time I see Quill say start planning out his army's moves with the game unpaused, and that time he almost marched 9,000 men into battle against 15,000 men in a hilly province, but I generally can get over his gameplay mistakes and I like his narration better despite the fact he needs to correct himself in later vids. I can certainly see why people would dislike it, I just felt like assuring Vodos he's not crazy :v:.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I like watching lovely players play games, makes it far more interesting to watch! Plus as people have already said, he explains features quite well and seems like a generally cool dude.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vodos posted:

Another thing that being really good at something can do is make it so you're not really actively thinking of what you're doing, which would of course be a detriment if you're trying to explain features. Plus very skilled players might also play the game in a fashion that's very different from what the majority would, or the designers had planned. Having half the video being you tricking the AI into staying in a single province, by micromanaging the movement of one of your own armies while the rest siege all his poo poo, would probably not be good advertisement for the game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wouldn't watch it if the game was available to me, but as a preview it's pretty decent.

Though, seeing him play, I have to wonder about at what game speed people play the game. In Paradox games, I typically play at the highest or second-highest speed and pause to give armies orders and do stuff in menus, while in Quill18's videos and the streams we've seen from Paradox, they seem to pause much more sparingly and play on a lower speed, and frequently give armies orders while the clock is running. Do lots of people play this way, or are they just playing that way because it's more entertaining to watch than pausing a lot? There have been a couple occasions in Quill's videos where he's suffered defeats or taken more losses than he should have just because his armies arrived later than they would have if he'd paused.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I usually play at the 2nd highest speed and go down to the 2nd or 3rd lowest speed to hand out orders and conduct war, but that's mostly because I've played quite a bit of multiplayer where we don't pause except in very specific cases, so not relying on the pause button in singleplayer helps me out in multi.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pakled posted:

I wouldn't watch it if the game was available to me, but as a preview it's pretty decent.

Though, seeing him play, I have to wonder about at what game speed people play the game. In Paradox games, I typically play at the highest or second-highest speed and pause to give armies orders and do stuff in menus, while in Quill18's videos and the streams we've seen from Paradox, they seem to pause much more sparingly and play on a lower speed, and frequently give armies orders while the clock is running. Do lots of people play this way, or are they just playing that way because it's more entertaining to watch than pausing a lot? There have been a couple occasions in Quill's videos where he's suffered defeats or taken more losses than he should have just because his armies arrived later than they would have if he'd paused.

I hardly ever pause and just keep it on the slowest/2nd slowest setting most of the time, speeding up a couple of notches if there really isn't anything happening.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I used to play at max speed and depend on setting auto pause for events, then I started playing EU3 and CK2 multiplayer with friends and got used to playing at a lower speed continuously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

I hardly ever pause and just keep it on the slowest/2nd slowest setting most of the time, speeding up a couple of notches if there really isn't anything happening.

This is exactly how I play. I stick generally on levels 2-3 depending on what's happening.

Some update to the Modern Age mod:

I've got all the newspaper headers finally done! Wow, what an effort for something that almost no one will ever see. So I'm dumping them here for you to enjoy:

(Sorry for the hugely long image.) If there's any changes or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I tried to stay with real-world syndication in terms of design, though I took some liberties in what constituted "reactionary"/"fascist"/etc. Please don't get all butt-hurt if one of your favorite papers got put into one of these generalizations.

The names are (mostly) lifted straight from the same names used in the base game for each, if you're wondering. I only made a few changes here and there.

• Locked thread