Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is Black the same as Black Hole? I brought that too a party once and it was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Midorka posted:

Last night I found a bottle of Mikkeller Black on sale for $5 from $16. That should have indicated something. It's a loving awfuland undrinkable mess. It's like if you took World Wide Stout that's been aged a year or two and poured rubbing alcohol in it. It has huge chocolate and port wine notes, but tastes like rubbing alcohol. Did not even finish my 6 ounce pour.

Haha, that's your description for a beer you gave three stars on untappd?

Regarding the gose from Widmer, I heard it was pretty terrible but haven't tried it myself.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

dphi posted:

Haha, that's your description for a beer you gave three stars on untappd?

Regarding the gose from Widmer, I heard it was pretty terrible but haven't tried it myself.

Yeah, it deserves a 1. I am on a laptop and didn't realize that I touched the pad on 3 stars when I clicked submit. I gave it a 2.4 on Ratebeer. Undrinkable.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

Yeah, it deserves a 1. I am on a laptop and didn't realize that I touched the pad on 3 stars when I clicked submit. I gave it a 2.4 on Ratebeer. Undrinkable.

how does 2.4 out of 5 equal "undrinkable"?

VVVV Prairie Ale is quite good, you won't be disappointed

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 18, 2013

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My friend down in Texas wanted me to get some stuff for his beer-loving wife for her birthday (with a $100 shipped budget), so I did my best to grab some stuff I hope she can't get (besides the Mikkeller, but she's a brett fiend and this seems like a nice treat). Took me a half hour to pick it out and make sure all this stuff was highly regarded (USING RATEBEER ONLY OF COURSE SHEESH YOU GUYS). I grabbed a bottle of the Prairie Saison for myself, so I hope it's good. I had the Prairie Hop before and found it to be a Tank 7 clone, only $3 more than Tank 7 in a 750.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

funkybottoms posted:

how does 2.4 out of 5 equal "undrinkable"?

Beer nerd stout inflation. Overall: 98, Style: 68

Random reviews from BA:

"Well, this is ridiculous. Even with years of aging, it's hot and ridiculous. I wouldn't describe it as a hot mess, but it's a challenge to even sip this." He gave it a 3.28.

"poor drinkability" He gave it a 3.53

"Honestly, I can't believe this adorns the Mikkeller name. I'm beginning to see his beers in the same light as, say, BrewDog - absurdly overpriced, gimmicky, poorly executed.

A waste of money." He still gave it a 2.3.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

"poor drinkability" He gave it a 3.53

To be fair to this one, "drinkability" is often used similarly to "sessionable." Black would definitely be poor at that. There's a lot of beers I love that I wouldn't rate highly drinkable.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

To be fair to this one, "drinkability" is often used similarly to "sessionable." Black would definitely be poor at that. There's a lot of beers I love that I wouldn't rate highly drinkable.

Creme Brulee is like that to me. Really good...for the first four ounces.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I tried a Carton Intermezzo sour last night and it was one of the weirdest brews I've had in a while. It looked and tasted pretty drat good, but the aroma was AWWWFUL. It smelled like funk and vomit. Carton is putting out a lot of great beers under the radar, but I think they should tweak their souring process and bugs. Right now it's just no bueno.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mikey Purp posted:

I tried a Carton Intermezzo sour last night and it was one of the weirdest brews I've had in a while. It looked and tasted pretty drat good, but the aroma was AWWWFUL. It smelled like funk and vomit. Carton is putting out a lot of great beers under the radar, but I think they should tweak their souring process and bugs. Right now it's just no bueno.

I've had this a few times and completely agree. The smell is horrid. It's a shame because it really does taste amazing. There's just enough tartness and the wasabi gives it a great spicy finish without being over the top. But that smell. It's not even like a funky cheese smell that you get from some sours and berliners, it's just acrid vomit.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Has anyone had a beer where salt was a prominent flavor? I tried a "caramel and sea salt porter" when I visited Burly Oak brewery near Ocean City in Maryland. It was interesting and kind of worked, but only for a few sips at a time, and was better after drinking their Belgian strong. Ended up being too salty for anything more than a few ounces, and either needed more sweetness or less salt.

Has anyone ever had a beer where salt actually worked as a flavor? It's usually one of those Flavors That Should Never Be In Beer.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I went to Bavarian Lodge last night for dinner and had a tasty Stone RuinTen, Famine by Solemn Oath/Lost Abbey collaboration, and a Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale. The Hitachino Nest had a really powerful, peppery aroma and taste, but the aftertaste was like I took a big bite out of a cedar board. I had a 5 oz sample pour and got through maybe 2 oz of that before I couldn't drink any more. RuinTen and Famine were delicious.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LogisticEarth posted:

Has anyone had a beer where salt was a prominent flavor? I tried a "caramel and sea salt porter" when I visited Burly Oak brewery near Ocean City in Maryland. It was interesting and kind of worked, but only for a few sips at a time, and was better after drinking their Belgian strong. Ended up being too salty for anything more than a few ounces, and either needed more sweetness or less salt.

Has anyone ever had a beer where salt actually worked as a flavor? It's usually one of those Flavors That Should Never Be In Beer.

Have you ever had a gose? Salting is part of the style, and I've had a couple nice ones recently.

edit:

hellfaucet posted:

I'm heading to Chicacgo this weekend to see some live music. I live in Detroit and was going to hit 3Floyd's on the way into the city. Is there anything I should know about about the brewpub prior to going? We were interested in probably getting lunch, is it usually packed on a Friday afternoon? Anything on tap that I should check out that isn't normally available?

Obviously picking up some Zombie Dust.

Just to update you, their carryout menu now shows Alpha King and Gumballhead as well. No idea whether ZD will be back by the time you're passing through.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LogisticEarth posted:

I've had berliner weisses that had a mild-salt taste to them (off the top of my head, Pipeworks' Flower Power had this flavor for me). Also, gose.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

crazyfish posted:

Have you ever had a gose? Salting is part of the style, and I've had a couple nice ones recently.

Flying Dog had a gose that had salt and... old bay seasoning :barf:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

crazyfish posted:

I have not. I keep seeing my beer buddies on Facebook mention the style but never seem to find one, although I haven't actively sought one out. I'm near Philly so it shouldn't be impossible to track one down.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mikey Purp posted:

Carton pisses me off because after I drank a couple of their beers, Augie Carton followed me on Untappd, and all the guy does is check in his own beer with 5 stars every time. There's rating inflation, and then there's just plain spamming to manipulate averages.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LogisticEarth posted:

I have not. I keep seeing my beer buddies on Facebook mention the style but never seem to find one, although I haven't actively sought one out. I'm near Philly so it shouldn't be impossible to track one down.

It's not a common style. In fact, only in the last few years has it reemerged; It was considered pretty much dead for decades. The first one I ever had was Local Option/Against The Grain's Schmetterling when it first came out a couple years ago. Since then, a few more US breweries have tried one but there's still probably only a handful.

When in doubt, Chris will probably have a video about it:
http://craftbeertemple.com/videoblog/2013/06/gose/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

air- posted:

Flying Dog had a gose that had salt and... old bay seasoning :barf:

I really liked that gose, and I hate old bay. It was very lightly spiced when I had it, just a little salty and tart. :shobon:

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
As far as gose goes, I had a chance to try Off Color Troublesome again, and it was phenomenal. Some people were complaining about it being too salty, but this was just enough to offset the sweetness of the malt. Maybe there's been some batch variations, but I've been impressed both times I had it.

On my way through Michigan right now, finally got to go to Bell's Eccentric Cafe yesterday. Tried wild one, which was a sour kick in the teeth like an unblinded lambic, Sparkeberry which was delicious, and Uberon, bourbon barrel aged imperial Oberon, which was... Interesting. Definitely better than regular Oberon, but the bourbon overtook the delicate base beer.
Oarsman has to be the perfect beer to drink while spending the day on the lake.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

umop apisdn posted:

Oarsman has to be the perfect beer to drink while spending the day on the lake.

I'm sorry, we already have Bud Light Lime thank you very much.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I've been thinking of picking up either some Black Top or Dancing Man Wheat by New Glarus. Only problem is is that I can only find stuff that was bottled in mid april. Would that be a problem with either of these two?

Black Top
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/72490

Dancing Man Wheat
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/37586

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Harminoff posted:

So I've been thinking of picking up either some Black Top or Dancing Man Wheat by New Glarus. Only problem is is that I can only find stuff that was bottled in mid april. Would that be a problem with either of these two?

Black Top
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/72490

Dancing Man Wheat
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/590/37586

It won't be ideal, but Black Top holds up fairly well. I had a ~6 month old bottle and it was still pretty good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LogisticEarth posted:

A good gose is salty. I had one of Terry Hawbaker's that he did for Farmer's Cabinet, a red wine barrel aged gose, and it was distinctly salty and delicious. Oh my god delicious. Shame FCs owner is such a crooked dick.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

A good gose is salty. I had one of Terry Hawbaker's that he did for Farmer's Cabinet, a red wine barrel aged gose, and it was distinctly salty and delicious. Oh my god delicious. Shame FCs owner is such a crooked dick.

Hopefully the stuff he's doing at Pizza Boy shows up closer to Philly sometime in the future.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just want to give a shout out to awesome goon LeafHouse. He just shipped me this stuff in a trade.
Wild Onion - Hop Slayer
Two Brothers - Sidekick
New Glarus - Berliner
New Glarus - Wild Sour
Three Floyds - In The Name Of Suffering :rock:
Revolution - TV Party

I've never had anything from any of these breweries. Super excited about In The Name of Suffering and TV Party because those are amazing beer names.

In other goon-beer news I just cracked my first BIF beer: Knee Deep Simtra. Really nice citrusy hop flavor, balanced with a good amount of bitterness and a slight biscuity breadiness. Maybe a bit too much bitterness as the other flavors fade, but it certainly hides the 11% alcohol well. Also, this is seriously the thickest beer ever. It just coats your whole mouth. Probably the most surprising thing about this brew is that it is one of the best smelling IIPAs I've ever had. It's just pineapple, lemon zest, and a hint of citrus with some herbal/flower notes for days. No detectable bitterness in the aroma. I'm really digging this. Thanks again blue.eyed.ash!

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

In everyone's favorite beer related news, Almanac just announced their Autumn seasonals:

Almanac posted:

12% ABV | 375ml bottles & limited draft
Available Late-July 2013
This is a beer made with real pumpkins. We hand-roasted over 500lbs of heirloom pumpkins from La Tercera Farms in Bodega Bay. The caramelized gourds were then added to our velvety American Barleywine and aged in brandy barrels for a year. Finally, we blended the barrel-aged beer with freshly brewed ale and added a delicate hint of pumpkin pie spices to round out this decadent autumn sipper.

Gourd Grand Cru
12% ABV | 375ml bottles & limited draft
Available Early-August 2013
Celebrating our 2nd Anniversary, this intensely rich ale blends our pumpkin barleywine brewed with heirloom pumpkins from Bodega Bay and aged in brandy barrels with a rich American-style stout matured in charred Kentucky Bourbon barrels. The resulting blend summons deep chocolate aromas and brown sugar flavors for a sumptuous ale to be sipped on cool California autumn evenings.

Looking forward to trying these, and Almanac has been brewing some excellent beer lately so I have high hopes. Their Farmer's Reserve #2 was a sour brewed with pumpkins and came out great, although nothing can approach the greatness of 2009 Alpine Ichabod.

Now to return to ignoring pumpkin beer.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zam posted:

Now to return to ignoring pumpkin beer.

Speaking of which!

:unsmigghh:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I can't even get that Wild Sour Ale and I'm in Wisconsin. It's on backorder around here and I'm told it should be arrive around Monday. So Enjoy. That Berliner Weiss I've had and is great though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cryme posted:

Hopefully the stuff he's doing at Pizza Boy shows up closer to Philly sometime in the future.

A friend of mine gets most of the Pizza Boy beers that are on tap in growlers that they're phenomenal. If you're anywhere near there, even a few hours, it's definitely worth the trip.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The stupid Deschutes brewpub had Abyss aged in pinot barrels and soured with Brett and I was too late for it :mad:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The stupid Deschutes brewpub had Abyss aged in pinot barrels and soured with Brett and I was too late for it :mad:

Had that at Fred Fest this year. It sounds like it would be better than it actually is, though it's still pretty darned good. Much thinner and lighter than you would expect Abyss to be.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I just want to give a shout out to awesome goon LeafHouse. He just shipped me this stuff in a trade.
Wild Onion - Hop Slayer
Two Brothers - Sidekick
New Glarus - Berliner
New Glarus - Wild Sour
Three Floyds - In The Name Of Suffering :rock:
Revolution - TV Party

I've never had anything from any of these breweries. Super excited about In The Name of Suffering and TV Party because those are amazing beer names.

In other goon-beer news I just cracked my first BIF beer: Knee Deep Simtra. Really nice citrusy hop flavor, balanced with a good amount of bitterness and a slight biscuity breadiness. Maybe a bit too much bitterness as the other flavors fade, but it certainly hides the 11% alcohol well. Also, this is seriously the thickest beer ever. It just coats your whole mouth. Probably the most surprising thing about this brew is that it is one of the best smelling IIPAs I've ever had. It's just pineapple, lemon zest, and a hint of citrus with some herbal/flower notes for days. No detectable bitterness in the aroma. I'm really digging this. Thanks again blue.eyed.ash!

Hell yea.. LeafHouse is the poo poo. Hop Slayer and Sidekick are both awesome beers, and I really enjoyed them both (mine also came from Leafhouse)! Knee Deep Simtra really is a cool beer, and my tasting experience was really similar to yours. Ridiculous mouth feel, crazy delicious smell, nice delicious start, and then an almost harsh bitter finish.

Podima posted:

Speaking of which!

:unsmigghh:

I really need to setup a trade or something for this. My wife loves pumpkin beers, and everyone can't seem to shutup about how awesome this one is..... for a pumpkin beer anyways.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
It's confirmed, because I just bought my plane ticket... I am 100% going to be in Chicago on the 28th, Kansas City on the 29th, and Denver on the 30th. If you want to meet up to have a drink, or want me to bring you some beer, you can PM me or post here.

I know I'm going to probably be meeting up with Captain Shortbus in KC, and Docjowles and Eejit in Denver.

I'm going to be spending the most time in Chicago, as I'll be there by about 3:00. I'm probably going to eat at Kuma's Too since I know the owner, and then hit up a beer bar sometime afterwards. Not sure which one... I really want to drink some Half Acre and Pipeworks beers though.

I probably won't get to KC/Denver until 6:00 in the evening or so, kind of hard to say right now.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 19, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Kudosx posted:

It's confirmed, because I just bought my plane ticket... I am 100% going to be in Chicago on the 28th, Kansas City on the 29th, and Denver on the 30th. If you want to meet up to have a drink, or want me to bring you some beer, you can PM me or post here.

I know I'm going to probably be meeting up with Captain Shortbus in KC, and Docjowles and Eejit in Denver.

I'm going to be spending the most time in Chicago, as I'll be there by about 4:00. I'm probably going to eat at Kuma's Too since I know the owner, and then hit up a beer bar sometime afterwards. Not sure which one... I really want to drink some Half Acre and Pipeworks beers though.

I probably won't get to KC/Denver until 7:00 in the evening or so, kind of hard to say right now.

Sounds good man. I'll PM you my phone number, but just shoot me some texts throughout the day as you get closer to Denver so I can work out when you guys will likely get here. Your options out here are generally hitting up a specific tasting room like Crooked Stave or River North or plopping down at a beer bar like Falling Rock. Actually those are pretty much just the options I'd recommend. I'm not sure there are any bars in Denver that really do it better or are more iconic than Falling Rock and if you're in Denver for a day and hitting up a brewery, I don't think you have any option besides Crooked Stave (as long as you guys like sours). Actually you do, River North and Denver Beer Co are both cool spots with solid beer, as is Great Divide, Vine Street, and TRVE, but if I were taking a beer nerd to only one place in Denver, it'd be Crooked Stave or Falling Rock.

Either way it's your trip so wherever you guys want to go, I'll be sure to swing by and say hi and drink some beers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kudosx I opened your White Rajah tonight and that beer deserves the high praise it gets. Such a good IPA. There's a little honey sweetness in the finish that makes you want to take another sip despite the huge hop smash up front. Between that and the Columbus, Ohio is pumping out much better IPA's than one might expect!

And I am on board with everything Eejit posted. Falling Rock and Crooked Stave are easily the two "you have one evening in Denver" stops I'd call out but whatever you guys are into is fine. I have to drive home either way so I won't be consuming much (:cry:)

edit: Also in pumpkin beer chat, I've seen New Belgium's new fall seasonal "Pumpkick" on the shelves, but not dared to try it yet. Because it's god damned July and who wants a fall beer.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 19, 2013

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kudosx posted:

I'm going to be spending the most time in Chicago, as I'll be there by about 3:00. I'm probably going to eat at Kuma's Too since I know the owner, and then hit up a beer bar sometime afterwards. Not sure which one... I really want to drink some Half Acre and Pipeworks beers though.

I probably won't get to KC/Denver until 6:00 in the evening or so, kind of hard to say right now.

I'll have to talk it over with :siren: MY WIFE :siren: because that's the only day that we both have off, but having a beer I'm Chicago with an internet stranger sounds fun! PM me if you want to discuss where to meet.

EDIT: I don't live too far from Kumas Too, so maybe we can hit up Sheffield's (I'll have to see if there is a cubs game first though) or drink pipeworks at the lake or something.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 19, 2013

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Harminoff posted:

I can't even get that Wild Sour Ale and I'm in Wisconsin. It's on backorder around here and I'm told it should be arrive around Monday. So Enjoy. That Berliner Weiss I've had and is great though.

My girlfriend couldn't find it after looking at three places in Wisconsin. Someone in my local beer group posted a picture of a case of 24. Hopefully it's alright though because her parents live near the brewery.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Crooked Stave's taproom isn't open on Tuesday :(

I will probably end up hitting up Falling Rock, and maybe somewhere else if I'm feeling a little crazy. Are there any bottle shops that carry Russian River in Denver? I'd love to try some Blind Pig/random RR sours.

It's a bummer that I'm going to miss out on Crooked Stave, as both my friend and I absolutely love sours.

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll have to talk it over with :siren: MY WIFE :siren: because that's the only day that we both have off, but having a beer I'm Chicago with an internet stranger sounds fun! PM me if you want to discuss where to meet.

EDIT: I don't live too far from Kumas Too, so maybe we can hit up Sheffield's (I'll have to see if there is a cubs game first though) or drink pipeworks at the lake or something.

This sounds good to me! Let me know what your wife thinks, and if she's okay with it, I'd definitely be down to meet and grab a beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

A friend of mine gets most of the Pizza Boy beers that are on tap in growlers that they're phenomenal. If you're anywhere near there, even a few hours, it's definitely worth the trip.

Yeah I have a friend who goes up there for family every once in a while. The stuff I've had has been really great, and I loved Terry's beers when he was at the Farmer's Cabinet.