Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Le0 posted:

So I revised my build, here is what I'm planning to buy.

HDD : WD Blue Mobile, 5400rpm, 8MB, 2.5 Zoll, 500GB, SATA-II
RAM : Kingston ValueRAM, 4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9, SODIMM

Is that for a NUC? Because a 2.5 drive won't fit in one, it uses mSata, which are small (think big SODIMMs) and expensive. That, and the fact that OpenElec runs just fine off one, is why you use a small USB thumb drive instead. Otherwise pony up $60 or so for a small Crucial or Intel mSata drive, Amazon has them.

If you've never seen one in person, you might be surprised at how small the NUC is. It's tinier than the Mac Mini, even - almost as small as an Apple TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Is that for a NUC? Because a 2.5 drive won't fit in one, it uses mSata, which are small (think big SODIMMs) and expensive. That, and the fact that OpenElec runs just fine off one, is why you use a small USB thumb drive instead. Otherwise pony up $60 or so for a small Crucial or Intel mSata drive, Amazon has them.

If you've never seen one in person, you might be surprised at how small the NUC is. It's tinier than the Mac Mini, even - almost as small as an Apple TV.

Well my plan is to get a Zotac AD12 actually, the slot inside is a 2.5''

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Le0 posted:

Well my plan is to get a Zotac AD12 actually, the slot inside is a 2.5''

Ah, then sure. Though I'd say the same rule still applies: If you have a half-decent USB drive sitting around, doesn't have to be large (4gb would be plenty) it'll work just as well and you'd save a few bucks. The AD12 will also boot off USB - here's one of mine (attached to the back of a small TV in my study - I have these things and the NUC everywhere in my house):

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a way to manually have the music library pull fanart and/or thumbnails when the artist information can't be scraped?

It's one band, Derek and the Dominos, that I absolutely cannot get working for the life of me. I have tried both the musicdb and Universal Artist scraper. I even threw fanart.jpg into the folder for the artist but it just will not pull it. On Advanced Launcher I have been able to manually set fanart and thumbs but not in music for some reason.

Collaborative albums have the same issue, I usually just scrape one of the artists involved when that happens but it isn't perfect.

I've used MP3 retagging tools to make sure they're perfect too, no avail.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 5, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Ah, then sure. Though I'd say the same rule still applies: If you have a half-decent USB drive sitting around, doesn't have to be large (4gb would be plenty) it'll work just as well and you'd save a few bucks. The AD12 will also boot off USB - here's one of mine (attached to the back of a small TV in my study - I have these things and the NUC everywhere in my house):

Okay thanks for the pic! I will see abotu that USB drive solution as well

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Godinster posted:

Is there a way to manually have the music library pull fanart and/or thumbnails when the artist information can't be scraped?

It's one band, Derek and the Dominos, that I absolutely cannot get working for the life of me. I have tried both the musicdb and Universal Artist scraper. I even threw fanart.jpg into the folder for the artist but it just will not pull it. On Advanced Launcher I have been able to manually set fanart and thumbs but not in music for some reason.

Collaborative albums have the same issue, I usually just scrape one of the artists involved when that happens but it isn't perfect.

I've used MP3 retagging tools to make sure they're perfect too, no avail.

I'm assuming your scraper is pulling from http://theaudiodb.com/artist/115315 ? There isn't any artwork attached to the artist. You could add it to the site yourself.

Also, when you add the artwork to your own folder, are you refreshing the artist? Not just running anm update scan but actually refresh from the context menu.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
It isn't finding the article at all, neither the information nor the fanart is working. I've tried refreshing as well and it just doesn't find it. I've even tried typing in just 'Dominos' to see if it works. I tried using universal album scraper but it finds 100 bands or artists with Derek in the name, none of which were what I'm looking for.

I love XBMC I just wish I wasn't so OCD about this

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Try tagging it with Picard, it'll put the MusicBrainz ID into the ID3 tags and then the scraper should be able to find it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm afraid I've tried that a few times with different tagging options to no avail

Edit: Great my music library poo poo itself now too. Have to re-scan files every time I open xbmc

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 6, 2013

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I'm gonna refer you to my previous post. If Picard can find it then XBMC can find it.

redhalo posted:

...use Picard to organize your files. XBMC's default music scrapers pull info from the MusicBrainz website. Picard was made by MusicBrainz developers, as such Picard tags files with a MusicBrainz id that the scrapers can reference to pull in the correct data. If Picard can see it, so will XBMC.

I highly suggest using these settings as laid out here. Especially if you use the cdART Manager plugin in XBMC. I also highly suggest using the LastFM Plus plugin for Picard if you want decent reliable genre tagging.

edit: Little know info about genre tagging with XBMC, for multiple genres to actually work right you need to use a " / " seperator. Thats SPACE SLASH SPACE. Otherwise XBMC reads the genre as "rock/alternative/punk" as one entry.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I had mentioned at the bottom of my original post that I used tagging software but I didn't mention it was Picard, it was. I don't know what to say other than I've used Picard and the scraper software definitely didn't pick it up. I'll just remove that album I guess and accept that albums with two artists or more (aside from CSNY I guess) just flat out don't work.

Thanks anyway though, appreciate the effort.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So in Picard, do I cluster my entire library, then "save" which moves them over to my temp sorted directory ? I'm just wondering which process wipes the old metadata and puts in the new stuff.

Secondly, for some reason hitting the "tagger" button on musicbrainz.org doesn't communicate back to Picard to tag the song. It does nothing. Picard says it's listening on port 8000. Is this a firewall issue ?

Edit: Apparently "Save" moves the files, not copies them. I deleted the moved files thinking they were copies, and killed 1/3 of my music library, on a network drive, so recovery isn't an option. And it was done a song at a time, not by album, so every album is missing a few songs. Damnit.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 7, 2013

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Tonight my family was here and we were having an impromptu YouTube party using Airplay. But, every time we played a video I had to exit XBMC and go back in to it before AirPlay would work again. Are there any solutions to this?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Tonight my family was here and we were having an impromptu YouTube party using Airplay. But, every time we played a video I had to exit XBMC and go back in to it before AirPlay would work again. Are there any solutions to this?

I take it since you are talking airplay, you are using iPhones/iPads?

XBMC has a better UPnP implementation than it does for Airplay. I am not sure if iOS devices do UPnP. I know that android can, some times requiring an program to be installed on the phone like BubbleUPnP. You might check the Apple App store to see if there is a UPnP app for iPhones.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
I was running frodo on my atv2 but it kept crashing. Some investigation showed it wasn't a crash, but instead ios was killing it for taking too much memory. I have downgraded and it's working well (I never really needed to upgrade, it was working well). Anyway, is there a fix for this, or at least a bug filed?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't say I've had any problems with Frodo crashing on my ATV2, but I haven't found Frodo to be quite as stable as Eden was across the board.

I think there's something wrong with my iOS version though, it can be iffy playing back podcasts (just bails out part way through), so I should probably get that on the latest version (although isn't there a larger revision due shortly? I'll probably just wait until then).

Did you check the xbmc.log file? It can sometimes help establish what has caused the issue.

And for those who remember me moaning about Trakt before... my main HTPC was acting up, removed latest Trakt and surprise surprise everything working as it should again. It's just so goddamned unstable, which is really infuriating as it's also really useful.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
yeah the log didn't have anything useful, it was being sent a kill signal from the operating system. It's a memory leak somewhere.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How would I go about grouping several movies into a single item Collection ? I have the option to group together collections turned on, however these aren't really collections, I have 5 or 6 Henry Rollins videos that I would like to be treated like a movie collection.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 12, 2013

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

jonathan posted:

How would I go about grouping several movies into a single item Collection ? I have the option to group together collections turned on, however these aren't really collections, I have 5 or 6 Henry Rollins videos that I would like to be treated like a movie collection.

XWMM used to be my go to for sets, but it doesn't seem to work on Frodo. Aixi is nice, but doesn't manage sets. Next version of XBMC, Gotham, will have a gui movie set manager so I'm putting off any modifications to those until then. If you only have a few to do, doing it by nfo is pretty easy, just add set tags, like <set>Rollins Films</set>.

I do like the idea of the tagging system, it sounds useful. I've been wanting a way to say, show all kung-fu movies, or all martial arts from a certain time period. Haven't really used it yet, does it work with smart playlists? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library_tags

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Perfect. I will get that set up, I already have .nfo files for those rips because they exist on themoviedb (I created them there) but not imdb.

Another issue related to above: If it exists on themoviedb but not imdb, why does it not automatically use themoviedb for scraping ? Instead it isnt recognised unless I put themoviedb url in an nfo file to point it where to scrape. I am using the default movie scraper, and I have themoviedb as the default site to scrape from and pull fanart.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
My ODroid-U2 arrived, using XBMC Android on it with my network file server/ SQLBackend. Pretty good.

3watts of power being used, 720p is playing fine.

Need to workout a way to force it to cache thumbs and fanart locally, it seems to struggle with the first time displaying them, dont really want to flip through every movie to create the cache.

Using the Xperience1080p skin too, seems great.

Will try and convince a linux friends to compile openelec for it though, I have a feeling without all the 'android bloat' I wont have a single problem with it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

GateheaD posted:

Need to workout a way to force it to cache thumbs and fanart locally, it seems to struggle with the first time displaying them, dont really want to flip through every movie to create the cache.

If you have another device with xbmc that already has the cache you can just copy the thumbnail and database folders to it.

Or use http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373 to cache everything on a PC (need to install python) and then copy it.

ganstarr
Sep 5, 2012

meh, this is easy
Using XBMC and lovin' it, the missus sometimes have it hard following dialogue, so she usually download subtitles, and using the easily available addon for that, which works great except a lot of the time just crappy subs appear.

For english subtitles, what sites would you recommend downloading from (using the addon), and is there a way to add sites not built-in?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Hoping someone else has run into this same issue. I bought an MCE Remote yesterday for the IR Receiver, the Adesso 1100 that is also known as the Ortek VCR-1110. I also own a Harmony 670.

I tried setting up the remote the same way the post about it at XBMC suggests but the IR Receiver doesn't respond to manual keystrokes or commands setup as MCE Keyboard, MCE Remote or Windows Media Centre CE. If I set the remote up to emulate the Ortec VCR-1100, all the MCE Remote functionality works but unfortunately that's it - none of the commands like Alt-F4 or other keystrokes put in as another device respond, the IR receiver simply doesn't flash. If I manually teach the Harmony the IR commands from the original 1100 remote it works as well but my main concern is making the IR Receiver respond to the MCE Keyboard commands.

Any ideas? I've read in the past that this receiver works fine with the Harmony, just can't figure out how to make it respond to emulated keystrokes or anything that isn't forcibly setup as the Ortek VCR-1100 Basically having the problems in the thread below, except with Windows which everyone in the thread seems to indicate works fine but not Linux. I am using Windows 7 though

Thread I am referencing: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69606

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did you enable "remote sends key presses" or whatever in the device options?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
In the Harmony settings, XBMC, or the receiver itself?

Edit: Turned it on in XBMC, unfortunately no change. The IR Receiver still doesn't blink unless it's receiving a command set up through the IR Receiver profile itself. Anything I bound manually doesn't work.

Edit 2: Wound up just mapping the Blue/Yellow/Info buttons in the XBMC keymapper to Guide/Info/Menu then mapping the Harmony buttons to Blue/Yellow/Info and made it work that way. It certainly isn't perfect but it works just the same so far!

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 13, 2013

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(

ganstarr posted:

Using XBMC and lovin' it, the missus sometimes have it hard following dialogue, so she usually download subtitles, and using the easily available addon for that, which works great except a lot of the time just crappy subs appear.

For english subtitles, what sites would you recommend downloading from (using the addon), and is there a way to add sites not built-in?

Open subtitles, and sub scene are the better ones.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
How do I add an external drive as a source in openelec? It shows under file manager but when I go to add source I can't figure out how to find it.

Also, my externals are NTFS, will openelec be able to write to them?

Dayman the Fighter
Dec 18, 2012
Does anyone know about Pseudotv I'm trying to setup a channel that works like cartoon network, plays cartoons then after about 10pm plays adult swim. I've played around with advanced rules and best effort channel scheduling but it doesn't seem to work. Could anyone walk me through setting this up?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Rubiks Pubes posted:

How do I add an external drive as a source in openelec? It shows under file manager but when I go to add source I can't figure out how to find it.

Also, my externals are NTFS, will openelec be able to write to them?

Look under /Storage when you browse for a file source.

Yes it will work with NTFS, OpenElec uses NTFS-3G, which is in userspace and allows for writes. It is, however, slow, but for updating metadata, etc should be fine.

That said many OpenElec users format their external drives as ext4.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Sendo posted:

If you have another device with xbmc that already has the cache you can just copy the thumbnail and database folders to it.

Or use http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373 to cache everything on a PC (need to install python) and then copy it.

Thanks,
Usually i have Thumbnails on a SMB share but its just too slow to load on XBMC Android. Everything else has a special substitution, but I copy cache locally now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Dayman the Fighter posted:

Does anyone know about Pseudotv I'm trying to setup a channel that works like cartoon network, plays cartoons then after about 10pm plays adult swim. I've played around with advanced rules and best effort channel scheduling but it doesn't seem to work. Could anyone walk me through setting this up?

This works on Frodo now?

Edit: https://github.com/Jasonra/XBMC-PseudoTV/tree/stable-pre

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 14, 2013

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I have been playing with PVR a lot over the last few weeks. I started with MythTV, but the setup process is utterly infuriating so I quickly gave up and gave TVheadend a try and have stuck with that - it is stable, and channel changes are lightning fast, although commercial skipping doesn't seem to work yet but since EDL files are not supported by XBMC until Gotham I haven't worried too much about it for now. I have set it up at my parents house (to replace their MediaPortal setup so they are fairly used to teething problems and general bullshit...) but so far it has been pretty solid - I have the TVHeadend running on a headless server (old Revo 3700, I tried using an Rpi but it struggled with more than two simultaneous streams), and they have two clients running Openelec 3.0.6 on Zotac ID41s.

However, I currently have a problem where the EPG shows only one channel after resuming the clients from standby - if anyone has any idea how to resolve this that would be awesome. I have 'Do not store the EPG in the database' ticked, but I think it is not re-aquiring the EPG when it comes back from standby. TV works, and all the channels work, there is just no data in the EPG. An EPG reset fixes it, is there any way to automatically initialise an EPG reset on resume? I will experiment with storing the EPG in the database in the meantime.

Sagacity posted:

I'm having the same issues with OpenELEC 3.0.6. It basically just hangs after a while. If you happen to figure out what's causing it, please update :)

I didn't find out the cause, but I replaced it with Raspbmc and it has now been running headless behind my amp for two weeks with no problems. I get occasional slow reponse from Yatse when it is syncing (the dot next to the hostname is blue), but in my experience this happens with all XBMC hosts. Raspbmc install process is weirdly time consuming, but once you are done it is the same as anything other XBMC.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I'm about to buy a Zotac AD12 and started thinking about what it would take to turn it in a PVR.
Is this solution possible, would it handle it or will that not work?

Could I add the backend to the Zotac? Otherwise I have a RPi laying around which maybe could handle that task?

Any great guide to read about PVR? I'm looking at the link in the OP currently.

By the I'm from Switzerland and I'd like to use the cable I already pay for here but use XBMC to watch TV instead of the lovely box they provided

EDIT: Maybe I should read the post above me......
You say the RPi cannot handle more than a stream basically, what exactly is more than a stream? Is that if two different people watch TV on different TV/channels? In what case I'd use more than one stream basically.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 18, 2013

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Le0 posted:

Any great guide to read about PVR? I'm looking at the link in the OP currently.

You say the RPi cannot handle more than a stream basically, what exactly is more than a stream? Is that if two different people watch TV on different TV/channels? In what case I'd use more than one stream basically.

installing TVheadend is pretty straightforward - you add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list and then install. Even if you know nothing at all about linux you should not have much trouble, I am hardly an expert. Once it is installed, you can access it on the web interface and then it is fairly obvious. I had to manually find TV Channel logo files and add them to an apache server and then manually add to TVHE but that was not difficult either just took a bit of time. You definitely want to install the improved interface files found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162224

Adding to XBMC is simple, just enable the correct addon and give it the details and you are away.

Openelec has TVheadend installable as an addon, so that makes it even easier if you want the server on the same machine as one of your clients.

With regards to the Rpi, exactly that - a stream is one channel being viewed. I found it was fine with one stream, mostly fine with two with occasional glitches, but then I would see real problems with three - at least one viewer would be breaking up all the time. You might be ok with recording two and viewing one maybe, or possibly it was related to the SD card I was using (class 4), but I had a spare revo so I didn't spend too long troubleshooting it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Of users who like watching movie trailers in XBMC with something like The Trailers, would you be interested in paying $1/month for a better plugin?

Well, really you wouldn't be paying for the plugin, you'd be paying for a backend service/API that the plugin used to display and fetch information about the latest trailers. It would have the latest trailers from Apple/Yahoo/others within like 10 minutes of them ever being posted along with stuff like genre filtering, source filtering, trailer type filtering (clips, trailers, teasers).

All the trailer plugins suck, so I've been writing something better which is backed by the web service I just described. Initially it was just going to be for me, but if I could get some cash out of it, I would...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Of users who like watching movie trailers in XBMC with something like The Trailers, would you be interested in paying $1/month for a better plugin?

Well, really you wouldn't be paying for the plugin, you'd be paying for a backend service/API that the plugin used to display and fetch information about the latest trailers. It would have the latest trailers from Apple/Yahoo/others within like 10 minutes of them ever being posted along with stuff like genre filtering, source filtering, trailer type filtering (clips, trailers, teasers).

All the trailer plugins suck, so I've been writing something better which is backed by the web service I just described. Initially it was just going to be for me, but if I could get some cash out of it, I would...

I'd probably kick you $5 just to test it out, but frankly with The Trailers working for basic streaming stuff I doubt I'd stick with it for very long. Unless I got addicted to the advanced features, anyway.

I hope XBMC gets around to supporting paid add-ons at some point.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

kyojin posted:

I didn't find out the cause, but I replaced it with Raspbmc and it has now been running headless behind my amp for two weeks with no problems.
I'll give that a whirl, thanks!

Edit: Yep, works like a charm. Excellent.

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 19, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't the iTunes one working properly at the moment? I used to use that quite often. Never had a need for other sites personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

kyojin posted:

installing TVheadend is pretty straightforward - you add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list and then install. Even if you know nothing at all about linux you should not have much trouble, I am hardly an expert. Once it is installed, you can access it on the web interface and then it is fairly obvious. I had to manually find TV Channel logo files and add them to an apache server and then manually add to TVHE but that was not difficult either just took a bit of time. You definitely want to install the improved interface files found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162224

Adding to XBMC is simple, just enable the correct addon and give it the details and you are away.

Openelec has TVheadend installable as an addon, so that makes it even easier if you want the server on the same machine as one of your clients.

With regards to the Rpi, exactly that - a stream is one channel being viewed. I found it was fine with one stream, mostly fine with two with occasional glitches, but then I would see real problems with three - at least one viewer would be breaking up all the time. You might be ok with recording two and viewing one maybe, or possibly it was related to the SD card I was using (class 4), but I had a spare revo so I didn't spend too long troubleshooting it.

After your post I remembered something, in my box from my provider I actually have a small card in it that I guess let's my use the special channels I bought. How would I go about using this with a tuner?