Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

toby posted:

This is incorrect and you calling it "fur" makes you bad as well! We aren't ban on sight anymore because people seem to have learned their lesson and don't go around posting about how they think it's okay to dress up like a squirrel and have gross sex.

So gross sex by itself is ok then. I was worried for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

VanSandman posted:

Hey goons need to gently caress sometimes too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Francostein posted:

The only thing in that thread's wake would be a thousand :stare: posts and maybe one dude who posted something funny, the op.

Funny things don't get posted in PYF.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cease to Hope posted:

Woah sick burn

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".

VanSandman posted:

From the outside looking in, sex is pretty gross.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Woah sick burn

Case in point.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cease to Hope posted:

Is that why you post here?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Assoonasitits posted:

From the outside looking in, sex is pretty gross.

Sex is also gross when looking inside out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just for the record, I didn't buy :sterv:. Waste of money, but I can't say I'm not a little flattered. :v:

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jul 10, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What's the story behind :stonklol: ?

I'd ask the same about :shepspends: but I have over 600 games on steam and a hundred on GOG.com so i guess someone made it for people like me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:stonklol: was bought for the PYF Awkward/Gross/Ugly thread for those moments when you :stonk: at something then laugh at the sheer horribleness of what you're looking at, then go back to :stonk:. Basically it's for whenever something is both completely horrifying but also funny.

:stonk: itself is :stare: and :gonk: mashed together, if anyone didn't know.

Anyone know how gonk got that name?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Probably someone posted something unattractive in the Awkward and Ugly thread and goons decided the only suitable way to react was to purchase another variant of stonk. I think DStecks bought it.

I really hope that smilies like that and the troper one don't get deleted, just so we can look back later on and laugh at ourselves for spending money on dumb things.

Magres posted:

Anyone know how gonk got that name?

I think it was from Gaia Online - a lot of old SA emoticons are. "gonk" is anime slang or something.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Guillermus posted:

I'd ask the same about :shepspends: but I have over 600 games on steam and a hundred on GOG.com so i guess someone made it for people like me.

It is the best smilie. I have the first post bookmarked in memory of it. It starts with a simple thought, and turns into something beautiful :stonklol:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551012&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=50#post416742111

I'm curious about :stonkhat: and :sparkles:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502448

this thread.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Guillermus posted:

I know :shepspends: was based on a smilie making fun of some of the terrible facial expressions on Commander Shephard in Mass Effect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kimmalah posted:

I know :shepspends: was based on a smilie making fun of some of the terrible facial expressions on Commander Shephard in Mass Effect.

That would be :shepface:, a variant of :smug:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Someone's gonna have to start drawing up ancestry charts.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

It is the best smilie. I have the first post bookmarked in memory of it. It starts with a simple thought, and turns into something beautiful :stonklol:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551012&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=50#post416742111

That was like watching an episode of Dragon Ball Z. I'm so disappointed I didn't make that joke the first time around

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Male Man posted:

Someone's gonna have to start drawing up ancestry charts.

:eng101:

More specifically, :shepspends: is based on :shepicide: (itself a combination of :shepface: and :smithicide:).
I think :shepspends: was spawned in the Steam thread, and I think that's really all there is to it (not that any explanation beyond that would be needed for the emoticon).

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

I think this is related, wasn't there a thread a long time ago where people did some really awesome art of a bunch of smilies? Does anyone have a link to that?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Burning Mustache posted:

:eng101:

More specifically, :shepspends: is based on :shepicide: (itself a combination of :shepface: and :smithicide:).
I think :shepspends: was spawned in the Steam thread, and I think that's really all there is to it (not that any explanation beyond that would be needed for the emoticon).

Nope. I was the first one to report it's existence to the Steam thread, it was definitely made somewhere else. It's perfect for the Steam thread, though,

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Lance Streetman posted:

Nope. I was the first one to report it's existence to the Steam thread, it was definitely made somewhere else. It's perfect for the Steam thread, though,

Ah, I stand corrected!
I thought someone just made and bought it specifically for the Steam thread.

:iiam:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

:shepspends: was made in the Retro Gaming megathread in Games iirc. They're pretty big on spending money, as you can see by the :retrogames: smiley.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Kimmalah posted:

:shepface: came from a Let's Play of Mdickie's "The You Testament" if I remember correctly. Nothing to do with Mass Effect.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Kikka posted:

:shepface: came from a Let's Play of Mdickie's "The You Testament" if I remember correctly. Nothing to do with Mass Effect.

Then why the hell is it called "shepface"?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Kikka posted:

Nothing that expressive could ever come from anything Mdickie related. You might be thinking of :dealwithit: which I think came from a Let's Play of Mdickie's wrestling game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The origin and text don't necessarily have anything to do with each other (c.f. :colbert: and :crossarms:).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Andorra posted:

Nothing that expressive could ever come from anything Mdickie related. You might be thinking of :dealwithit: which I think came from a Let's Play of Mdickie's wrestling game.
There was a version of :shepface: that did the weird talking/"blinking" animation from Mdickie stuff but I don't think it was actually bought and put in the SA system.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I think :stonkhat: and :gop: came out one after the other. Both recently.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
:helladid:

What is the story behind this one? It reminds me of something.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

StandardVC10 posted:

It's just another terrible LP emote from a terrible LP.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

It is from the Crete LP (Paradox Games and a clusterfuck of a thread).

Helladid was one of Crete's best rulers, and beyond that the context is the exact same as the other crying-flag emotes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

The origin and text don't necessarily have anything to do with each other (c.f. :colbert: and :crossarms:).

The origin and text of those two have everything to do wtih each other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I know the story, but there's no way to realize that's what happened just from the smilies page.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in :pwn: or what it means, to be honest. At first I see a yellow :/ face with an incredibly large eye, and then I see a banana being crushed by some kind of white wheel. After staring at it some more, I see a fish with a huge egg in its mouth.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Kheldragar posted:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in :pwn: or what it means, to be honest. At first I see a yellow :/ face with an incredibly large eye, and then I see a banana being crushed by some kind of white wheel. After staring at it some more, I see a fish with a huge egg in its mouth.

It's a weirdly deformed face. It's supposed to mean "what in the gently caress?"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Picture it as a refined graphical version of this horizontal smiley: O_o

(The "fish" misconception was covered here before in some detail.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS