Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
So, new problem. A little while I hit a pretty rough bump and the car died while moving, but I was able to start it back up a couple of seconds after it happened. In an idiot, so I brushed it off. About twenty minutes ago, the same thing happened, but now the battery seems like it's drained when I try to crank it. Should my first step be to get a new battery, or could it be something more annoying like a bad ground somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Check the voltage on the battery. Pull the alternator and have it bench tested.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
I might try the battery first, I'm currently in a Starbucks parking lot wearing a shirt and tie waiting for a jump. :/

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Anyone have suggestions for how to reinstall the rubber trim around my windshield? I took it off when I painted the car and now it doesn't want to sit flat when I try to put it back.

Also, my car passed state inspection last week so I'm finally 100% road legal. Considering the last sticker was from 2007 and it sat in various states of disassembly since then, I'm pretty pleased. :)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

goml23 posted:

So, new problem. A little while I hit a pretty rough bump and the car died while moving, but I was able to start it back up a couple of seconds after it happened. In an idiot, so I brushed it off. About twenty minutes ago, the same thing happened, but now the battery seems like it's drained when I try to crank it. Should my first step be to get a new battery, or could it be something more annoying like a bad ground somewhere?
On the simple side I'd check the battery leads too. On the NA at least the battery is in the trunk so it's not a stretch for a bump to cause a lead to come loose if the battery and leads aren't properly tightened down.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have a friend visiting from the east coast this week and have been showing her around WA, put 300 top down miles on the car in the last two days :feelsgood:.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Guinness posted:

The 5-speed I had in my 95 NA is still to this day the best feeling transmission (and clutch and throttle response) I've had the pleasure of driving. It all just combines so perfectly.

The 6-speed in my E46 comes close, but the clutch and throttle response aren't as raw and precise as in the NA so the whole package isn't quite as nice.
The E46 six speed sucks in comparison to the Mazda 5 speed, it's passable with a ZHP shift knob, but stock it's pretty miserable.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

destructo posted:

The E46 six speed sucks in comparison to the Mazda 5 speed, it's passable with a ZHP shift knob, but stock it's pretty miserable.

One of the first things I did when I got the car was replace the stock knob with a ZHP knob. Huge improvement.

The Mazda 5-speed is still king, though. I miss that car :(

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
X-Post from the "What did you do to your ride today?" thread, thought you guys might like to see my handiwork too!

I repaired my paint and windshield after a paint bucket lid hit me on the highway doing ~70ish, the top was down and I may or may not have thought I was going to die...click for BIG;

Before

After

I also did all the glass in the car too while I was at it since I brought out an extra microfiber cloth

Shiny! :D

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Going to order this Robbins top Monday I guess. I definitely want a pre attached rain rail, but I'm not 100% sold on heated glass. My current top has a heated glass window and I'm not sure if I'll miss it or not. I live in Arkansas so we don't have hellish winters but it does get sort of cold for two-three months.

Are NA and NB tops interchangeable? This top is $50 cheaper. I thought I saw one for 419 the other day but it seems to have disappeared.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 13, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
As far as I know NB tops will not fit on NA frames.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't know much about softtops (never had one), but AFAIK, the frames are different. The frames bolt up to the chassis with no issue, though. I think leica mentioned something about buying a spare NB frame to do a softtop replacement.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I know you need an NB frame to put on a NB factory soft top on a NA but for a robbins? :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

An NB frame and top will work on a NA.

However you cannot mix and match the frame and top. If you want an NB top you gotta get an NB frame also.

on my first NA Miata I bought a NB top with the frame from a JY and it bolted right on.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 14, 2013

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
My Robbins top worked on either NA or NB frame. There were only a couple small differences in installation in the instructions that centered around making the NA work more like an NB. The biggest difference that I could see was the positioning/mounting/attachment of the last cross bow above the rear window between NA-NB.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I got the gasket for my MAF installed wednesday night and cleared my ECU codes. The engine went nuts for the first 20 seconds after I started it up, but then everything smoothed out and it felt like it's running better.

200 miles so far and no check engine light yet. I've also noticed that the clutch shudder I was getting previously is way less of an issue (it comes and goes though, so possibly just a coincidence).

edit: spelling

dpidz0r fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 15, 2013

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

2000 checking in with a weird problem I had on Saturday that may or may not of had some after effects?

Approximately 150k miles on this 13 year old chassis and generally running like a top, I got stock at the store for 15 minutes more than I would have liked at what felt like the peak of a pretty hot day in Austin, Texas on Saturday around 3:30 in the afternoon.

After a long hard day on the interstate coming down from East Texas (though stopping for gas/snacks twice without starting issues) I could not get the car to turn over after spending 10 minutes or so in the store.

Resigned to my fate I call for a ride but then after several more tries do manage to get the car started before they arrive.

And now my A/C doesn't work so good anymore?

No more starting issues at all in the meanwhile, but the lack of effective A/C is not gonna cut it. Is this mere coincidence? Was I vapor locked?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did you get a CEL? I would've guessed a dead camshaft position sensor (they love to fail when hot), but I think the engine should turn over even with a hosed one. If it's not cranking, I'm not sure what it could be but that should be fairly reasonable to diagnose by checking what's getting current or not.

Alright, so apparently when somebody decided to have a look inside my miata (see previous post), they didn't immediately realize it was unlocked and did this to it:

At least, that's what I think happened, I rarely use the lock myself. The key now won't go in with a reasonable amount of effort. Any ideas how this can be fixed easily/cheaply? I just don't want to get locked out of my car one day if the battery dies in the car/remote.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I sucked it up and went ahead with the heated glass because why not.

Now once it arrives the fun begins of trying to put the thing on. :suicide:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Previa_fun posted:

I sucked it up and went ahead with the heated glass because why not.

Now once it arrives the fun begins of trying to put the thing on. :suicide:

It's not hard, just annoying. I followed this guide http://www.miata.net/garage/MiataTop2/ .

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
The rear defrost strip in my top is kaput and I have to get a whole new top as well, I'm putting it off as long as humanly possible and might even go the "Winter? > Hardtop" route instead.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

It's not hard, just annoying. I followed this guide http://www.miata.net/garage/MiataTop2/ .

Thanks for this link, definitely will come in handy. Will I need to order new tension wires or can I reuse the old ones?

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

The rear defrost strip in my top is kaput and I have to get a whole new top as well, I'm putting it off as long as humanly possible and might even go the "Winter? > Hardtop" route instead.

Goddamn I want a hard top but I can't justify the price right now. :smith:

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Previa_fun posted:

Thanks for this link, definitely will come in handy. Will I need to order new tension wires or can I reuse the old ones?

You can reuse the old ones, you will need to drill out the old rivet and put new rivets in (5/32" or 4mm size rivet, i forget how long but you can size it from the old piece) and there's two blind phillips screws that are very challenging to reach without either a cut 90 degree screwdriver, or what i used was a phillips 1/4" bit and a tiny little offset ratcheting bit driver. You can reuse these screws or you can replace these screws with hex bolts so they're easier to access in the future.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

I got new wires because apparently it's a good idea to, they only cost 30 bucks on ebay for a new set. I guess they get stretched out a bit over time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Note to self, miata clutches that are worn out work fine the whole 20 minute test drive, minute 21 is when they slip. New clutch and slave make driving much more fun, and now with good shift boots my hand doesn't feel like it is about to catch fire.

Now I just need a set of $136 sensen shocks and I will be styling.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1990-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ505046512

Ugggh, thoughts? It's not like I'm a stranger to rust repair.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nah, you can do better for that money (I did, kind of). Hardtop is a nice bonus though.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
This one has been on for a week, it seems the market for miatas in Toronto is pretty dead this summer(as in nothing is selling and everything is overpriced):
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2000-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Convertible-HARD-TOP-ALSO-6-spd-W0QQAdIdZ503221993

It's a perfect weather to drive back home :)

edit: gently caress rusty rockers, not worth the hassle

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ordered my sensen shocks and honda civic bump stops today, total $152 shipped for both. Not per wheel per car. I had enough money left over for 2 CAS o rings. $.40 each. Felt so saucy I bought 2 $3 wipers. :wotwot:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my tape deck adapter broke and I think Im going to bite the bullet and toss a cheap head unit in my 95. Is there anything I should look out for? A friend had said something to me about the pre 96 cars being harder to change head units.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Sadi posted:

So my tape deck adapter broke and I think Im going to bite the bullet and toss a cheap head unit in my 95. Is there anything I should look out for? A friend had said something to me about the pre 96 cars being harder to change head units.

If your car has a bose system it's a bit of a pain, if not, it's a breeze. Just be sure to get the screws out of the eyeball vents so you dont break your bezel.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Viper915 posted:

You can reuse the old ones, you will need to drill out the old rivet and put new rivets in (5/32" or 4mm size rivet, i forget how long but you can size it from the old piece) and there's two blind phillips screws that are very challenging to reach without either a cut 90 degree screwdriver, or what i used was a phillips 1/4" bit and a tiny little offset ratcheting bit driver. You can reuse these screws or you can replace these screws with hex bolts so they're easier to access in the future.

The screws aren't an issue at all if you take the frame off the car.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Ordered my sensen shocks and honda civic bump stops today, total $152 shipped for both. Not per wheel per car. I had enough money left over for 2 CAS o rings. $.40 each. Felt so saucy I bought 2 $3 wipers. :wotwot:

How terrible are those shocks? I've never heard of Sensen before.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sadi posted:

What headunit is it anyway? You much just be able to make your own AUX.

I did, it's cake.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
It has the Type 1 (1267)NA01-66-AC0A if that means anything to you. CD player in upper slot and tape and radio in lower slot.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Saw the rusty NA today, it's in pretty good shape besides the rust. But my god the test drive reminded me how much fun a low power sports car can be. Even in its slightly neglected condition everything just felt so right. As fun as the Fit is the test drive just amplified the issues I have with it (clutch and seat height, etc.) Put in an offer on it, seriously considering getting a Miata regardless though.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
In my NC I've noticed that I'm either too close to the pedals but at a perfect seat angle or pitched too far forward but perfect distance to the pedals which is strange since I'm only 5'9" (32" inseam)...some things you gotta live with though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

rhombus posted:

How terrible are those shocks? I've never heard of Sensen before.

I will let you in on a secret, all shocks are built in China now except for a few choice brands. They are standard OEM quality with Japanese seals. For the price I don't really care they have to be better then 25 year old oem shocks. People give them good reviews so I am going with them.

jcutner
Aug 6, 2006
sup
this might interest you guys
went to an ALMS race this weekend at Mosport
there was the playboy mx-5 cup there
here's some pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

My 1996 Miata pulls hard to the left. By hard I mean if I take my hands off the steering wheel at 40mph, the car will completely change lanes in under 4 seconds roughly. It is present at any speed, and if I reverse the car the steering wheel will turn in the other direction. It makes the car fairly fatiguing to drive with it constantly trying to dive towards oncoming traffic, and I am finally ready to try to troubleshoot it.

First thing first, I have had the car aligned by a trusted local shop. I had them align it to as close to the Flyin Miata suggested alignment as they could get. This had no discernible effect on the steering pull.

I'd like to try to come up with a comprehensive list of things I need to check that could cause my car to steer to the side this badly, so that I can begin troubleshooting it. I have a couple ideas for components to check, but I am largely uncertain where to look next.

Wheels probably need balancing, they also might be bent. I figure rotating tires might be a good way to check and see if it's the wheels that are causing an issue.

The steering rack is most likely the cause of this issue, but I don't know what I'm looking for when inspecting it, so any help here on troubleshooting it would be appreciated.

I imagine it could be bushings or wheel bearings of some kind. I believe the test here is to jack the car up and try moving the wheels in and out, and then to take a pry bar and pull on various arms through the suspension looking for excessive play.

There's always the chance it's just a bent as hell suspension component, but in my time working on the car I haven't seen anything obviously wrong, however there is a little dent on the crossmember the engine sits on underneath the car, so I'm worried that this could be the cause.

Could it be brakes somehow? It's done this since I've owned the car, and in that time I've replaced the rotors and pads with no effect on this steering issue.

So my questions are how do I inspect/check the steering rack for issues that could cause my steering problem, and what am I forgetting to check for? Thanks.