Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

Really? When i lived in Long Beach it seemed well-run. Then again I was using my Orange County, gently caress the poor experience to judge it. Care to elaborate?

Which area did you live in?

Long Beach is a funny city in the sense that there are some really nice areas, and then you walk two blocks and find yourself in the middle of the ghetto. It's similar to the Nob Hill -> Tenderloin transition in San Francisco. Besides that, the way the city is run is atrocious. There's the Port of Long Beach, which is the second largest port in the United States and one of the largest employers in the region. And they absolutely dominate city politics. We got air pollution out the wazoo. In the area I live in (and trying to move out of ASAP), it's so bad that the average life expectancy is a whopping 11 years lower than other parts of the city. On some days when I open the windows in my apartment I can literally smell ship fuel in the air. And of course, nothing is done about this, because "The Port provides jobs!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://priceonomics.com/the-san-francisco-rent-explosion/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Even the scenic tenderloin has a median studio price of $1800.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Want to raise children is SF? Hahahahahaha. Seriously, a +$500 a year increase in apartment prices with more than 2 bedrooms.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Watt posted:

"Militarized repression of free speech"? My union kinda annoys me sometimes. Although I don't like the Napolitano pick on the surface, either.
On the one hand, yeah, seems kind of over-the-top. On the other hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

To be fair, they did fire him after that... after 8 months of "paid administrative leave," a.k.a. what anyone else would call "paid vacation."

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Thanatosian posted:

To be fair, they did fire him after that... after 8 months of "paid administrative leave," a.k.a. what anyone else would call "paid vacation."

Came in here to post that. Don't want any more pseudo-police types running the state than currently do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be fair, SOMA is one of the most expensive neighborhoods now.

Sunset is a nice neighborhood, too, I'm not just picking someplace poo poo. It's 30 minutes or more on MUNI to downtown, though, which is why prices are a bit lower, and it's also permanently enshrouded in fog for seven or eight months of the year (which I happen to like, but some folks hate it).

Also, from that article:

There's a reason rents are high in San Francisco, and it's because demand is high. Rent control can help people who got an apartment 20 years ago, but it only applies to older buildings (1976 or older, if I remember right?) and of course it gets reset whenever someone moves out. When you have huge demand and severely limited supply (san francisco is a peninsula, it cannot expand except by tearing down buildings and building higher-density ones in their place, and that is an expensive undertaking) you are going to see prices rise. Even low-income projects get expensive, and the last time I read about it (which was over a decade ago, admittedly) the waiting list for Section 8 housing was like 8+ years long.

So I agree, SF's housing market is crazy, but what can be done about it? Short of literally seizing property via eminent domain and then building government housing projects on the land, I can't think of anything that'd be particularly effective.

e. I should mention, SF is my home town, and I love it there. But my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I couldn't afford to keep living there. In the early 2000s we were renting a basement in-law in the Sunset for $850 a month, and it had mice and was way out on 46th avenue and I got a job in Hayward. So we moved out, and got twice the space for the money in Burlingame (which is not a cheap city). Later we moved to San Mateo, and then I bought a house in Concord in Dec. 2009. I would love to live back in my home city, but I wanted to own a house and that will never be possible for me there; even at the absolute bottom of the housing market I could not have afforded a shithole in bayview/hunter's point, nevermind a sound structure in a non-murdery neighborhood. So the housing market there has pushed me out, and I'm a firmly middle-class white collar worker with a decent job.

I could have bought an apartment, but gently caress HOAs/condo association dues, thin walls with loud neighbors, horrendous parking, and paying two hundred thousand dollars to live like a college student. gently caress that noise completely.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 19, 2013

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Thanatosian posted:

It is over the top wording. I'm aware of the UC Davis incident (What UC student isn't?) but it wasn't an example of encroaching militarized repression of free speech, as abhorrent as it was. The other poster who replied to me had a point though, that as long as our union keeps its focus on where it counts (the bargaining with UC administration) they can keep with their rhetoric. I just find it kind of eye-roll inducing sometimes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
SOMA rent data is skewed because that is where the majority of new, high-end residential development has been lately. It is expensive but if you can afford it then you are probably getting a brand-new apartment or condo for that money, and probably within walking distance from work. Other places you are paying a little less for space in a hundred-year-old dump or in place with a soft story that will kill you when the big one hits.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Did you guys see the story about the jump in housing prices across the state last month?

quote:

California’s hyperactive housing market appeared headed from statewide recovery to all-out exuberance last month as prices on closed sales climbed at a record pace.

The state's median home price shot up a record 28.5% in June from a year earlier, real estate research firm DataQuick said Thursday.

That jaw-dropping increase is due to a number of factors, including fewer cheaper homes being sold in hot markets such as Southern California and the San Francisco Bay Area and very limited inventory across the state. Demand has apparently surged after home prices bottomed out last year.

In just one year’s time the median price rose from $274,000 to $352,000, according to research firm DataQuick. The median does not strictly measure home values — rather, it is the point at which half the homes in the state sold for more and half for less. It is highly dependent on the types of home selling.

Foreclosures made up a meager 10% of the resale market, the lowest level since August 2007, when credit markets were seizing up and the subprime mortgage market was melting down, ushering in the big bust. At the height of the mess in February 2009, foreclosures made up 58.8% of the market.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-california-home-prices-20130718,0,5609755.story

One of the reasons I'm planning on moving out of state soon is that I want to buy a home for my retirement, and the r.e. market here is nuts.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/protesters-smash-google-bus-pinata/

Gentrification has been a thing as long as I can remember. I moved to SF in the mid 90s when the lower height and the divis corridor were still a little sketchy. This round of gentrification is driven by the tech money sloshing around in the valley and in particular the new private shuttle services that make it more desirable to live in the city and commute. Why privatize the roads when you can nimby public transportation for the plebs and provide your own for your own protected class?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bizarro Watt posted:

It is over the top wording. I'm aware of the UC Davis incident (What UC student isn't?) but it wasn't an example of encroaching militarized repression of free speech, as abhorrent as it was. The other poster who replied to me had a point though, that as long as our union keeps its focus on where it counts (the bargaining with UC administration) they can keep with their rhetoric. I just find it kind of eye-roll inducing sometimes.

Whaaat? Demonstrators deliberately hurt by riot cops sounds like some repression to me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Did you guys see the story about the jump in housing prices across the state last month?

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-california-home-prices-20130718,0,5609755.story

One of the reasons I'm planning on moving out of state soon is that I want to buy a home for my retirement, and the r.e. market here is nuts.

I'm living in a "hot" area right now (amazing schools and close to major metro area) and the market has gone bonkers in my area. It crashed extremely hard and is now getting back to it's 2005 levels. My coworker is looking to buy a home where I'm at right now and he's had to deal with a line for open houses and competing for a house with literally 41 other offers. All cash, no inspection, 7 day close is the norm.

It's calmed down a bit from a month ago when a combination of rising interest rates and changing FHA guidelines pushed a sort of "deadline" to lock in loans, but it's still very much a seller's market

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess it's good since it's showing the state economy is making a genuine recovery with better property tax revenues for local government but on the hand means even worse cost of living problems in places such as the Bay area.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
The rent on a studio apartment in SF is only slightly less than my entire take home pay working for the state (meaning wages are set statewide with no consideration for cost of living).

Guess the only place where there are job openings for my classification? :getin:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hope you like living in a 3BR apartment with three other people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or commuting. A huge number of people take transit into the city daily to work, including my wife. BART is packed to the gills these days. But it makes a lot of economic sense for a lot of people, to live in the east bay and BART into the city. If it costs you $150 a month in transit fares, but saves you $600+ in rent, well... how much is your two+ hours of time riding transit every day worth to you?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I love looking up home prices in Los Angeles.

$135,000 in 1995 for a 2bed, 1.5 bath?
Oh look, its $590,000 now!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Which area did you live in?

Long Beach is a funny city in the sense that there are some really nice areas, and then you walk two blocks and find yourself in the middle of the ghetto. It's similar to the Nob Hill -> Tenderloin transition in San Francisco. Besides that, the way the city is run is atrocious. There's the Port of Long Beach, which is the second largest port in the United States and one of the largest employers in the region. And they absolutely dominate city politics. We got air pollution out the wazoo. In the area I live in (and trying to move out of ASAP), it's so bad that the average life expectancy is a whopping 11 years lower than other parts of the city. On some days when I open the windows in my apartment I can literally smell ship fuel in the air. And of course, nothing is done about this, because "The Port provides jobs!"

I lived down near 2nd Street and then on Cherry north of the 405, so yeah in the very Orange County parts of town. I did teach at an elementary school in the lower income, cramped area that someone mentioned earlier, but I guess it wasn't close enough to the port to really hit home how awful things were. My main experience with local government was with the school district I guess, which I thought was pretty well-run for such a large and diverse area.

The air pollution was awful for sure though.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

UberJew posted:

The rent on a studio apartment in SF is only slightly less than my entire take home pay working for the state (meaning wages are set statewide with no consideration for cost of living).

Guess the only place where there are job openings for my classification? :getin:

What up state employee buddy :hfive:.

Just put in an offer for a house today in Sacramento.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Another fun thing about our state- the gently caress-off blackouts we get:suicide:
any other SoCal goons get affected by the blackout centered around mission viejo/coto de caza/San Clemente that happened around 11:45 tonight?

God, sometimes I hate summer here.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
Even prices in the (lovely) east bay are crazy. My asbestos packed apartment went up 250 dollars/month this year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cbservo posted:

Another fun thing about our state- the gently caress-off blackouts we get:suicide:
any other SoCal goons get affected by the blackout centered around mission viejo/coto de caza/San Clemente that happened around 11:45 tonight?

God, sometimes I hate summer here.

For how much A/C we burn in the Inland Empire I haven't gotten a blackout yet. Probably because it's a bunch of new construction so new lines.

I couldn't imagine a blackout in 106 degree heat though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My AC went out for a month in summer in Tucson.

I used to be perplexed by how heat waves could kill so many old people in the midwest. Not anymore. It kind of snuck up on me. One or two days of that were nothing. Suck it up, move on. But after a couple of weeks I started being unable to think straight, I was sleeping more erratically than usual, and I was feeling weak.

I know how to manage the air flow and sunlight in a house to keep it in the low 80s through most of a hot day. But dammit, I don't think I can live in the desert in summer without at least an hour of AC a day.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

cbservo posted:

My family moved to Cali from Russia largely because of ludicrous blackouts my home city is notorious for. It kinda sucks to have no light (and often no water and gas as well) when it's -10F outside. Anyway, Cali is loving awesome.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Don't say Cali.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FCKGW posted:

For how much A/C we burn in the Inland Empire I haven't gotten a blackout yet. Probably because it's a bunch of new construction so new lines.

I couldn't imagine a blackout in 106 degree heat though.

One of our other offices had the ac go out in july last year. Power was still on, but people got sent home because it was over 110 in the office.
How people got anything done in the IE before AC astounds me.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dusseldorf posted:

Don't say Cali.

Yeah, that's kinda how we know you're not from around here :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Other words you shouldn't say are "frisco" or "the oc." "The IE" is acceptable.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

nm posted:

Other words you shouldn't say are "frisco" or "the oc." "The IE" is acceptable.

Or Daygo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And if you're in LA, you say "The 101" but if you're in the Bay Area, you just say "101" without the "the." As in, "To get to San Francisco from the Airport, just drive up 101."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

UberJew posted:

By the old 25% housing cost rule you would need to make at least $86000 a year gross, which doesn't factor in the higher cost of living in all the other areas for the Bay area.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wait, what? I totally say "Cali," and I lived there for most of my life.

Don't hate, bro.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I am sure my accent wouldn't give me away :v:. I think this the first time I've heard anyone complain about this term in 10+ years I lived here though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

And if you're in LA, you say "The 101" but if you're in the Bay Area, you just say "101" without the "the." As in, "To get to San Francisco from the Airport, just drive up 101."

I am from norcal, but was cruelly forced to move to socal.
I have noticed down here I use "the 101" and when I go to visit civilization I say "101." Transitions somewhere around harris ranch on (the) 5. Kind of trippy.

I don't, however, say "hella" much anymore regardless of geography.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

pokie posted:

I am sure my accent wouldn't give me away :v:. I think this the first time I've heard anyone complain about this term in 10+ years I lived here though.

Say Cali all you want, I couldn't possibly care less.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I am from norcal, but was cruelly forced to move to socal.
I have noticed down here I use "the 101" and when I go to visit civilization I say "101." Transitions somewhere around harris ranch on (the) 5. Kind of trippy.

I don't, however, say "hella" much anymore regardless of geography.
I'm also from NorCal, and I hella still say hella, regardless of where I'm currently living.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe they could just move some of the tech companies to the Nothern weedapolis?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

etalian posted:

By the old 25% housing cost rule you would need to make at least $86000 a year gross, which doesn't factor in the higher cost of living in all the other areas for the Bay area.

Haha the 25% rule, that's cute.

Thanatosian posted:

Wait, what? I totally say "Cali," and I lived there for most of my life.

Don't hate, bro.

It sounds hella-stupid, though. I've never heard anyone say that out loud around here, I don't think. Then again, I've never heard anyone from around here refer to each other as "bro". Maybe I'm just old and out of touch. Get off my lawn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The only time you may use the phrase "Cali" is when you need to inform others that you may be "going, going, back, back"

• Locked thread