Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
With IG, I just want there to be loving models for everything in the range, even if you have to go Forgeworld.

You still can't buy a model for a Griffon (which sucks for using a Griffon to spot for Basilisk or Colossus rounds)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/IMPERIAL-BOMBARD.html looks like the right gun for a Colossus, but the wrong chassis; it's on a Russ chassis, not a Chimera chassis, right? (fake edit: only per the drawing in the codex; IA 1 2nd ed has a picture of a Gryphonne IV pattern Colossus Bombard that matches the Forgeworld model.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SpikeMcclane posted:

Memphis Gamesday is in a little over a week. Is there anything that I absolutely must not miss as a first timer? And any clue what exchange rate Forgeworld stuff will be at?

I can't say for exchange rate, but its best to buy it on the site and select it to be picked up at Games Day if you really really want something specific.

Also gently caress GW for not having a Canadian Games day.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

With IG, I just want there to be loving models for everything in the range, even if you have to go Forgeworld.

You still can't buy a model for a Griffon (which sucks for using a Griffon to spot for Basilisk or Colossus rounds)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/IMPERIAL-BOMBARD.html looks like the right gun for a Colossus, but the wrong chassis; it's on a Russ chassis, not a Chimera chassis, right? (fake edit: only per the drawing in the codex; IA 1 2nd ed has a picture of a Gryphonne IV pattern Colossus Bombard that matches the Forgeworld model.)

The bombard is sort of the precursor for the Colossus that's in the codex, they changed it from the Russ chassis to the Chimera but otherwise it's the same and they're effectively interchangeable now.

Also http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Tanks/VANAHEIM-PATTERN-GRIFFON.html

However if the new codex works like the new IA lists then it'll have Basilisks and Medusas in one choice and Griffons and Colossi in two other choices so you won't be able to spot like that.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

How's that Thunderhawk coming? Where is it in line compared to the Warhound and the 6x4 of Zone Mortalis? :v:

Thunderhawk almost done. Warhound .... close. Zone Mortalis is in line behind some other things... ok I get your point. But that IS a crapload of Eldar!

TerranRaida
Feb 3, 2010

My pre heresy Imperial Fists army is coming along nicely!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I can't say for exchange rate, but its best to buy it on the site and select it to be picked up at Games Day if you really really want something specific.

Also gently caress GW for not having a Canadian Games day.

I went to the last Canadian games day and it was pretty cool. It loving sucks that we aren't getting anymore.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Hand posted:

Thunderhawk almost done. Warhound .... close. Zone Mortalis is in line behind some other things... ok I get your point. But that IS a crapload of Eldar!

Hey, I only have 3073 points of Eldar right now, that's not much, right? :v:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I just read Prospero Burns. Apparently the wet leopard growls.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Hixson posted:

I just read Prospero Burns. Apparently the wet leopard growls.

It's purrs. Wet leopard purrs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Wait does this mean my old pewter griffon parts are worth something!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Every time I see this image, my eyes get drawn to the 'special' guy at the top with the chain sword who seems to think it's a musical instrument.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Every time I see this image, my eyes get drawn to the 'special' guy at the top with the chain sword who seems to think it's a musical instrument.

"Instruments? I play the chainsword in the Terra philharmonic! It's part of the diesel section, right next to the strings."

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Naramyth posted:

CSM terminators are better, but start at 95 points, are 3 bases to deep strike down instead of 1, are over 33 points a wound and stock come with power weapons so axes or swords I guess. To make them a viable threat to vehicles you will want to chain fist and or combi-meltas and now you are over 105 points for a T4 disruption unit with 3 wounds. If you use them as HQ protection to get 6 wounds you are looking at 188 points before bling and you have a huge footprint when rolling for scatter.
They are marginally more expensive (~32pts per wound rather than ~31), but the fact that they are three bases is basically irrelevant for DSing- you have to land in a very strange place indeed to be able to legally place the first base but not the remaining two, since you pick how they are arranged after you find your landing spot.

The are a bit less flexible in fighting due to not being able to swap weapons, but in return they are much better against the things that they are good against- two Terminators with Power Swords are six attacks on the charge versus the Mutilator's four. (He will have the advantage of Lightning Claws, but only half the time.) The Muti can obviously swap around weapons, but if you go with mostly 2 swords/1 axe, the Terminators will generally be able to take on most things pretty effectively.

I wouldn't use either unit as an HQ-delivery device, so that's essentially moot. Plopping down 1-2 Mutis + an HQ is just asking to get plasma'd or rapid fired right out of existence.

quote:

A mutilator is a serious threat to any non combat unit with 4 attacks on the charge with chain fists or lightning claws (and then power maul/axe or power weapon in your opponents fight sub-phase)
Sure, but a Terminator is a pretty good threat to any non-combat unit other than a tank. And if you think your Mutilators are gonna realistically catch most tanks, you are thinking very generously- they're just too slow to chase anything down most of the time. You're not going to fight MCs with them because they will crush you before you get to swing, so the utility of the Mutilator is pretty limited in that respect.

quote:

Are they super awesome? absolutely not. No terminator armored thing is. Are they a cheap and effective disruption unit in an otherwise lovely slot in a book that is already about moving aggressively forward? absolutely.
I just don't see the advantage over a Terminator unit, other than a slight per-unit cost drop. If you field three solo Mutilators, you could be fielding 2x3 Terminators instead. 27pts over the Mutis gets you the ability to Run, more total attacks, and four disposable Melta/Plasma weapons to use at your discretion- if you're looking at threats, these guys are gonna do way more to wreck plans than the Mutis will.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I've never had more fun than I had making Necromunda gangs with friends and having League Nights where we'd have standings and poo poo. RIP 3Pac and Krew, you were the best.
Necromunda is really boss; basically every game has something unbelievably stupid and amusing happen. Like Apocalypse, it really takes a group of folks you know can play the game to have fun and not MUST BE RULES JERK #1 ALL THE TIME FOREVER, but if you can get a reasonable-sized crowd to participate, it's very good times. We ended up rewriting the combat system to work like modern 40K and the skill tables to not absolutely suck donkeys, but...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

NTRabbit posted:

Hey, I only have 3073 points of Eldar right now, that's not much, right? :v:

You'll be fine; I'm about to start repainting 4000 points worth. Thankfully, that includes 7 tanks, a wraithknight, and a jet.

On the other hand, that also includes 2 farseers, an autarch, 7 warlocks, Illic, 10 rangers, 20 guardians, 20 avengers, 6 bikes, 5 fire dragons, 10 striking scorpions, 8 harlequins, 10 swooping hawks, 3 war walkers, and a wraithlord. :v:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Wow, how could I forget a new Guard Codex?

I'd not be surprised if they added one of those bigger than a russ, smaller than a baneblade tanks into the codex for regular 40k. Though the current rules, you could run a baneblade in regular 40k.

I'd also hope to see a thunderbolt or lightning kit.

And of course, plastic storm troopers/veterans.

Err, is this a rumour or are you just daydreaming?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TheBlobThing posted:

Err, is this a rumour or are you just daydreaming?

Daydreaming, except for the bit about IG coming. They seem to be in the pipeline, though and since every army is getting "A Big poo poo To Stomp Around With" it would not be surprising if that translated into a big tank for IG. Or maybe a giant Sentinel or a Knight.

Either way, GW doesn't seem interested in converting FW kits anymore, so I doubt we'd see a thunderbolt/lightning from them.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

FW's IG are the last remaining thing making me want to buy a new GW army after I sold off the 3k points worth of Pre-Heresy Fists I had after the rage-incident with the local store kicking out gamer veterans. I still think a nice, modern-army themed Elysian Mechanised force with Griffons and ground attack aircraft would be incredibly cool.

Nothing too sci-fi, so no big walkers or plasma (making it not too effective), autoguns instead of las, lots of mortars, autocannon, missile launchers. Salamander command vehicles, Tauros jeep-thingies and a Malcador, Macharius or Minotaur for the big gently caress-off tank in the middle of it all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lenoon posted:

FW's IG are the last remaining thing making me want to buy a new GW army after I sold off the 3k points worth of Pre-Heresy Fists I had after the rage-incident with the local store kicking out gamer veterans.

Got a link or a recap. Always love a good story.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Got a link or a recap. Always love a good story.

Here and here .

Made me very sad. I've held on to a few bits to paint and I still lust over the new kits, but most of my mans are gone now.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ghetto wormhole posted:

There's a ton of Forgeworld stuff they could give official rules for. I'd love to see the Avenger in the codex, especially since it looks like FW decided to give it 3 HP in the latest IA book.

I think there's an agreement now that GW won't make rules and, by extension, kits for forgeworld models because it cuts into the sellability of the FW models. fewer people buying the FW fightabomma, wave serpent etc. now and they're better off not crossin over and having models across both lines.

Which is why we saw new eldar and tau flyers that are very different looking to the FW kits.

that said there's still a market for the reverse. FW making premium varients of regular GW units.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

I think there's an agreement now that GW won't make rules and, by extension, kits for forgeworld models because it cuts into the sellability of the FW models. fewer people buying the FW fightabomma, wave serpent etc. now and they're better off not crossin over and having models across both lines.
Actually GW has done this pretty often in the past, even up through 5E; while they certainly make new units far more often than they port over FW stuff, many of the "new" units in codices are actually Forge World crossovers. Off the top of my head, the Tau Piranha, IG Medusa, Griffon, Colossus, Hydra, and Manticore, the SoB Exorcist, and Tyranid Trygon are all stolen from FW's lineup.

GW and FW obviously have an incentive not to compete with each other, but once they're in production, plastic kits are much more profitable than resin ones are. If the company thinks they can sell enough of something, it benefits them to move it from the FW lineup to the GW one.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Ork Big guns odn't have to placed on a base correct? I think I'm going to build mine on 60mm bases to look nice, but as arty they can be free standing correct?

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Can an IG clear something up for me real quick? I thought vendettas could be used as dedicated transports by regular guard armies but when I suggested that to an IG player recently he was convinced only Elysian guards can do that. Can other guard armies use the vendetta as a dedicated transport?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Valks and Vendettas are not dedicated transports in the IG codex.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Only the Elysian dudes can take them as a dedicated transport. It doesn't really matter though, as it's not like IG really want anything else from the Fast Attack choices.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

CyberLord XP posted:

Ork Big guns odn't have to placed on a base correct? I think I'm going to build mine on 60mm bases to look nice, but as arty they can be free standing correct?

I don't think the big guns even come with bases in their kit. I just tossed mine on weighted 25mm bases, though 60 would look better.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Ok thanks guys. Can you start squads in non-dedicated transports then, or do squads have to hop in once they come on?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fix posted:

Valks and Vendettas are not dedicated transports in the IG codex.

Only Valkyries are DTs (at least in IA8; haven't read IA3-2nd ed)

mmj posted:

Ok thanks guys. Can you start squads in non-dedicated transports then, or do squads have to hop in once they come on?

the former

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Alright, that clears it up for me, thanks.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Man, I don't even have my first army built but some of this new ForgeWorld stuff is so pretty:

Nice rules too: AV 13/12/10, barrage, Heavy 1+d3 if it doesn't move, small blast, S8, AP3...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The Javelin is kinda cool too.

Though why you'd bother keeping the cyclone missile launcher on it is beyond me.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Going to wait for a Heresy version though after FW produced heresy taratos terminators after a while. Need those pilots in mk III armour.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Man, I don't even have my first army built but some of this new ForgeWorld stuff is so pretty:

Nice rules too: AV 13/12/10, barrage, Heavy 1+d3 if it doesn't move, small blast, S8, AP3...

115pts, Heavy Support. Ridiculous.

I want two. :(

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thundercloud posted:

Going to wait for a Heresy version though after FW produced heresy taratos terminators after a while. Need those pilots in mk III armour.

That's painted up as pre-heresy Emperor's Children; I think that is their Heresy version.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/LEGION_MKIV_OUTRIDER_SQUADRON.html I am unemployed, I am unemployed, I am unemployed

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Well it seems as though the Farsight book is up on iTunes in some timezone.

From Warseer user Romanus:

quote:

REVIEW: Farsight Enclave

Haven't read the full background section yet though from what I have gone through so far is pretty good. Lots of in depth detail of farsights rise and "fall". Unusually the book is attributed to the GW design team and no credits to the author or the cover artist appear. May be an oversight and fixed up later. Overall typical GW publication, pricey,yes, reasonably good quality, yes. Will be getting the limited edition when it is realised Now for the juices stuff, the rules!!!

- xv8 are indeed troops, but must be taken in groups of three
- preferred enemy (orks) in cc only
- must have bonding knives if able
- far sights command team, replacing his usual bodyguard. All are named characters and range across crisis, braodside and riptide suits
- cant include shadow sun and aun'va
- you can ally with the standard tau codex
- ethereals can be taken, representing pre-independence
- 6 new warlord traits
- 6 new signatures systems (not really comfortable going in depth on these, but they seem alright)

Cheers,
Rom

So you can spam out 9 Crisis suits, Farsight, 5 more Crisis from his Bodyguard and 4 Riptides (three Elite and one Bodyguard).

TKIY fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 19, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TKIY posted:

Well it seems as though the Farsight book is up on iTunes in some timezone.

From Warseer user Romanus:

So you can spam out 9 Crisis suits, Farsight, 5 more Crisis from his Bodyguard and 4 Riptides (three Elite and one Bodyguard).

Ally the Farsight codex Farsight with Tau codex Farsight.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Forgive me if this has been mentioned in the thread, but is there any indication to whether these spinoff/supplementary codices will be coming out for armies that haven't just had a main codex released? In other words, is there any hope of them making them for, like, CSM or Daemons, before the next edition at least?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There is a rumour that the Black Legion are getting a codex supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Slimnoid posted:

The Javelin is kinda cool too.

Though why you'd bother keeping the cyclone missile launcher on it is beyond me.

Thinking about using one of these for a Dark Shroud. Have some crazy looking telsa coil looking thing off the side with some dark evil mother loving looking lightning or some poo poo coming out of it. My Sammael on bike is the dildo jetbike model converted, so it could look the part.

In other news, (and to copy and paste from the TG crowd sourcing thread) Ramshackle Games just announced on their FB that they have a kickstarter waiting for approval. For those of you who don't know who they are, they do resin models, they are usually pretty basic. Lot of one piece models and one part moulds from what I can make out. I plan to use some of their vehicles in warhammer 40k. Their Iron Grumbler makes a good pre heresy rhino chassis, for example. Gnu armour transports could be used as chimeras in a pinch. They haven't mentioned what the kickstarter will actually entail, but I will be watching.

• Locked thread