Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ariong posted:

If a Civ builds a wonder, and the city its in gets razed, can that wonder be rebuilt?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, there is one single vein of coal on this entire continent. Just one vein with just enough to build three factories.

Mombasa is about to become the richest city on earth.

I was under the impression that cities become permanent once a world wonder is built there.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The only way to play this game is as Shaka while blasting Iron Maiden, as I have just discovered.

After a couple of battles each impi will pick up drill 1 and 2. Then even the hills won't save you.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 19, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thehumandignity posted:

I was under the impression that cities become permanent once a world wonder is built there.

Unless it changed in Brave New World, you can burn down anything except 1) capitals 2) city states and 3) Indonesia’s first three cities on new continents.

Cities with wonders can burn just like any other, but the wonders are gone for good.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I really wish there was a "come and missionary spam me plz" diplomatic option.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Have you tried the "please stop sending missionaries" option? I've found that the AI seem to interpret it that way.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Three. Crabs.

I'm really tired and figured I was forgetting something, but I eventually convinced myself that he was counting fish as one. Thanks for the correction.

I don't know why this would be, but I seem to never, ever see crabs. In the 10-15 BNW games (at least) I've started since launch, I can only remember one where I ran across them. Not statistically unusual or anything I guess, but it just kind of hit me how weird that is, considering I even completely forgot they existed until you said that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Ruder posted:

I'm really tired and figured I was forgetting something, but I eventually convinced myself that he was counting fish as one. Thanks for the correction.

I don't know why this would be, but I seem to never, ever see crabs. In the 10-15 BNW games (at least) I've started since launch, I can only remember one where I ran across them. Not statistically unusual or anything I guess, but it just kind of hit me how weird that is, considering I even completely forgot they existed until you said that.

Oh man. I've seen entire coasts lined with crab. I've even had two short lived games recently where each of my 3 cities were working 3-5 crabs, with no fish, whales or pearls in sight. Normal resource settings, continent map. I dunno, blame the RNG, I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh man. I've seen entire coasts lined with crab. I've even had two short lived games recently where each of my 3 cities were working 3-5 crabs, with no fish, whales or pearls in sight. Normal resource settings, continent map. I dunno, blame the RNG, I guess.

It's feast or famine a lot of the time. I played enough games to win with almost every civ in the game up to G&K and never once got Salt anywhere in my starting area. Then twice in my last six games I had more than one Salt in my capital alone.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I didn't even know crabs existed for the first three weeks I played this.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

You know what would be really cool would be if you could do this deliberately in order to cozy up with a civ. Religious alliances are something that Civ V doesn't really explore at all.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Great story. Really encapsulates the craziness that can happen late game now with BNW. Can I ask what difficulty you were playing?

Prince. I usually don't lose a prince game so totally but I didn't fully realize how important trade routes were to my economy, which is why I stood by while Rome decimated my trade partner.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

What have I done wrong? I get the BNW loading screens but I just have the vanilla races available when I go to select one in a new game?

Already tried reinstalling, didn't help :(

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I really wish they had nerfed Petra. Having the entire game hinge around one wonder in the early game is kind of frustrating and unfun. Either i get it and the game's difficulty has gone down a notch or two, or i don't and i have a city that's practically an anchor around my neck.

thehumandignity posted:

After a couple of battles each impi will pick up drill 1 and 2. Then even the hills won't save you.

Nice.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Tried out the civil war scenario last night and I finally got to see why people complain about the combat ai so much. I just formed a spearhead of four or five divisions and corps backed up by artillery and marched down the Potomac taking each city and destroying scattered rebel forces along the way before I linked up with a secondary force I had sent across the coast to cross the river at Fredricksburg and lay a siege there. After that it was just a short march to Richmond which proved to be a tough nut to crack due to capitol defences and a single rifled cannon defending it. With ten moves remaining I had to employ a bit of cheese and use military engineers to build a ring of citadels around it before it fell to some human wave tactics. Meanwhile the only resistance the rebs offered was an assault in the west that petered out when they captured one of my isolated cities but lost their artillery in the process and a needless counter attack against my garrison at Culpepper when they really should have focused on reinforcing Richmond.

Playing it I kind of wish the scenario had a simple social policy system for things like emancipation, anaconda strategies or foreign intervention just to break away from the continuous combat aspect of the scenario

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I tried a terra game with polynesia on emperor where I just picked up and went to the new continent. It took me a bit longer than I'd like to get there and the settlement wasn't great so my cap was kind of shabby. I also thought "hey a bunch of land, this is where liberty shines!" Nope, I'd gotten too used to tradition and ended up so broke for the vast majority of the game that I had to do things like build the pyramids to sell the workers and get a great merchant with my great person and plant him. Still had money problems and as a result tech problems (in addition to the happiness problems). I think this might solve the liberty vs tradition question for me permanently. Tradition would have been 16 gpt more throughout most of that time, a big enough difference to totally change the game.

The Barbarians were also incredibly hard to deal with because of the time and space they had.

I did manage to found a city on a peninsula where it had one 6 culture tile and multiple 5 culture tiles. I'll really need to give it a shot with that design in mind, it was really cool.

The entirety of the new world didn't have a drop of coal on it which was incredibly depressing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hank Morgan posted:

Tried out the civil war scenario last night and I finally got to see why people complain about the combat ai so much. I just formed a spearhead of four or five divisions and corps backed up by artillery and marched down the Potomac taking each city and destroying scattered rebel forces along the way before I linked up with a secondary force I had sent across the coast to cross the river at Fredricksburg and lay a siege there. After that it was just a short march to Richmond which proved to be a tough nut to crack due to capitol defences and a single rifled cannon defending it. With ten moves remaining I had to employ a bit of cheese and use military engineers to build a ring of citadels around it before it fell to some human wave tactics. Meanwhile the only resistance the rebs offered was an assault in the west that petered out when they captured one of my isolated cities but lost their artillery in the process and a needless counter attack against my garrison at Culpepper when they really should have focused on reinforcing Richmond.

Playing it I kind of wish the scenario had a simple social policy system for things like emancipation, anaconda strategies or foreign intervention just to break away from the continuous combat aspect of the scenario

Were your events all pro‐Confederate? Mine were, perhaps as an anti‐snowball measure.

My game played out similarly, with the only real rebel resistance at Culpepper. I took cities in the west to deprive them of iron, but I don’t think I saw a single CSA unit there after the initial skirmish west of Harper’s Ferry.

Richmond took several turns to whittle down, but only because of its massive bank of HP. I had a carpet of twenty‐something units surrounding it.

I don’t know why the scenario designers even bothered with a tech tree. The correct path is to go straight for infantry corps, then rifled cannons, then carbine cavalry. Even as the confederate side with limited manpower, I can’t imagine needing the ability to build more bridges or roads over more than doubled combat strength on infantry units.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The way happiness has been changed (theater replaced with a nerfed version, but easier to get better happy policies in ideology even when going wide), and the way it's no longer an AI crutch has some really interesting effects. Settling is no longer a rush, and city settling is a continuous process up until the modern era or maybe further. Early trade routes are integral for both your gold and science growth - having everyone else on your continent hate your guts actually matters. Not only that, but skimping on culture means you'll lose your precious ideology choices (along with any early-adopter tenets) in the late game if you don't start your culture growth early and strong.

All of these big changes in BNW are targeted on one strategy - the early warmonger, but in particular human early war-mongers, who don't have the production to spare. The unfortunate combination of these 3 elements is that domination victories are now a lot harder. You cannot, for example, conquer everyone on your continent before AI caravels arrive (and thus not get the genocide diplo-hit) - you simply won't have the gold or happiness to spare.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

EightFlyingCars posted:

You know what would be really cool would be if you could do this deliberately in order to cozy up with a civ. Religious alliances are something that Civ V doesn't really explore at all.

In my current game I started on a continent with the Netherlands to my east and the Persians to my west. The Persians started expanding early while the Netherlands focused on building some really tall cities with robust trade routes. I focused on an early science lead to leverage for early tourism; I built the Great Library, then the NC, then the Oracle which I used to complete Liberty and build the Parthenon. Three great work slots in the classical era, it was great.

So then I built the Terracotta Army and took out Persia since he's a pretty vicious guy with his immortals and he seemed to be expanding a lot, and I wanted to get rid of him before anyone else showed up on the scene. After taking his last city, I was going to turn on the Netherlands until I noticed his reformation belief gave tourism to faith-purchased buildings, so I happily let him spread his religion to all my cities as I expanded overseas and purchased +2 everything including tourism Baptist pagodas everywhere. I was able to expand effortlessly, he raked in money from Church Property, we've been best buds ever since. It's the only time I've ever been able to overcome the genocide penalty with a civ.

I was one of the last civs to adopt an ideology, but as soon as I did, everyone but Gandhi switched to it within three turns.

e: Your archaeologist discovered...
RAZED CITY
Conqueror: Malacca
Founded by: La Venta

:psyduck:

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 19, 2013

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ok, I'm playing Germany, wiped out Brazil, have Korea (2 cities) to my north and the Huns (2 cities) to my west and they spend every turn making fun of my culture/economy.

Just got Iron Working, have Mathematics, will have Petra in 20 turns.

Six Swordsman, Four Archers, Four Catapults to burn the Huns, then Korea to the ground. Overkill?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Ok, I'm playing Germany, wiped out Brazil, have Korea (2 cities) to my north and the Huns (2 cities) to my west and they spend every turn making fun of my culture/economy.

Just got Iron Working, have Mathematics, will have Petra in 20 turns.

Six Swordsman, Four Archers, Four Catapults to burn the Huns, then Korea to the ground. Overkill?

Depends heavily on difficulty. The AI can spam units like crazy once you getting up towards the top 2 difficulties. Should still be manageable since they only have 2 cities though.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Just played an interesting game with Venice which demonstrated the power blocs that can now form in BNW.

So, after managing to runaway in tech and culture in the medieval age, I was the first to hit modern and choose an ideology. Because I was working for a diplomatic victory I decided the best way to go would be Freedom, as it has several modifiers that aid both in peace time and in great people production.

About 50 turns later, as the rest of the players hit the modern age, they start choosing ideologies. All of the larger and more competitive nations choose order, and the game starts to head south fast. Civs that I had a great relationship pre-modern age were suddenly guarded and hostile. A single civ that chose freedom and was hostile to me previously was suddenly friendly.

Chairman Caesar, who I had cordial relations with the entire game, suddenly started a denouncing string that ended with all order groups calling me out. Luckily I was the world police and the game ended once the UN was established, but I could have quickly lost it if the Order Bloc had decided to take me out.

Should I expect Order, Freedom, and Autocratic Blocs to form in most games now? Or can diplomacy (and lots of free luxuries) still make different ideological nations be friends?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deofuta posted:

Should I expect Order, Freedom, and Autocratic Blocs to form in most games now? Or can diplomacy (and lots of free luxuries) still make different ideological nations be friends?

The AI bandwagons Order in most of my games. I usually lose my friends, but sometimes I get them back. Differing ideology is a big diplomacy modifier, but it’s not insurmountable.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Platystemon posted:

The AI bandwagons Order in most of my games. I usually lose my friends, but sometimes I get them back. Differing ideology is a big diplomacy modifier, but it’s not insurmountable.

In my last game where everyone in the world was pretty chummy towards one another all the civs were steadily adopting freedom (and the ones who went order quickly switched to Freedom after their happiness tanked), but then my good friend Shaka decided to go Autocracy, suddenly all my friends were denouncing him, and getting annoyed at me because I had made a declaration of friendship prior to the switch, but Shaka remained friendly towards me because the ideology penalty was the only negative between us.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you have Tourism going will that make it more likely opposing civilizations take your Ideology? Are there any intermediary benefits for tourism other than the "influential" win condition?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you have Tourism going will that make it more likely opposing civilizations take your Ideology? Are there any intermediary benefits for tourism other than the "influential" win condition?

Yes but this never happens on high difficulty due to the AI happiness bonus.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure if it makes them more likely to take the ideology, but each level of tourism you have over the AI increases their unhappiness penalties, making them more likely to switch to your ideology. But that's harder on higher difficulties with the happiness bonuses they get.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

In Madjinn's Venice LP, we finally have a new Dong Island for BNW. :allears: Can someone else clip it? I'm terrible at that kind of thing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any way to easially tell which the second pantheon from piety is?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dongattack posted:

Any way to easially tell which the second pantheon from piety is?

It's whichever pantheon is also in your city - ie. you have yours, and the second-most-popular religion's pantheon.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah this is something that really kind of puts a dent in the tourism mechanic at higher difficulty levels. I play on immortal and I had a game where Napoleon had -71 happiness from my huge tourism output and he was barely in the red. I think -3 or 4 happiness from what I remember. It was really disappointing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Beamed posted:

It's whichever pantheon is also in your city - ie. you have yours, and the second-most-popular religion's pantheon.

You can tell which pantheon is in your city? I must have missed how to do that.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dongattack posted:

When you get a pantheon, it's the little lightning bolt icon next to the name, before you have a religion. Once you have a religion, pantheons are in the Beliefs portion of the Religious Overview.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's the pantheon belief of the second most popular religion - pantheons cannot spread beyond your border (or to other cities at all) and they exist by default if you have a pantheon and found a city.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dongattack posted:

Mouse over the religion symbol on your city bar. Whatever the minority religion is, you'll get it's pantheon belief bonus also.

Token Cracker posted:

Yeah this is something that really kind of puts a dent in the tourism mechanic at higher difficulty levels. I play on immortal and I had a game where Napoleon had -71 happiness from my huge tourism output and he was barely in the red. I think -3 or 4 happiness from what I remember. It was really disappointing.

Yeah, I was Immortal pre-BNW because of the AI but these days I'm mostly playing on Emperor; the AI is considerably harder to deal with due to the new diplomacy mechanics now etc, so I don't feel like I have to crank them up to crazy high levels to get a reasonable challenge. Anything over Emperor and I lose out on too many wonders.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rudatron posted:

It's the pantheon belief of the second most popular religion - pantheons cannot spread beyond your border (or to other cities at all) and they exist by default if you have a pantheon and found a city.

The most important thing about Religious Tolerance is that if you get overtaken by another religion, you won't lose your pantheon bonus if you can found a religion of your own. This can matter if you went for a happiness, food or growth boosting pantheon.

Mwip57
Aug 30, 2009
After finishing a game as Venice I've decided I don't like the new tourism mechanic at all. It seems like in order to win with it you have to have lots of cities and/or have a science lead to get to the tourism boosting things. This was kind of a shock to me as I decided to play Venice as a tall empire. I was unable to get influential with everyone till turn 550, and the very last civ was the Netherlands which I was forced to basically knock out of the game because they were also going for a cultural victory.

This is pretty lovely in my mind. Cultural victory used to be about having a small empire and was less concerned with tech and killing people off. Now it's win condition is pretty much the same as every other win condition: "Have the biggest and best cities, the most tech, and kill anyone who gets in your way"

Anyone find differently? This was on King and I did make some mistakes, but overall I just felt like I could easily win with other conditions (domination, diplomacy, etc) before winning with culture despite going for tourism the whole game.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Actually the culture win is easier than domination victories now, because of the change in the capital city ownership requirements. In general though, I find that the AIs have an advantage playing tall because of their wonder/production/happiness bonuses, but humans have the advantage wide because the AI is still terrible at combat. I won a diplo venice game on emperor, but I was forced to go wide when my neighbor, a wonder-spamming tourism-heavy china, chose order and caused a lot of civil resistance.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Mwip57 posted:

After finishing a game as Venice I've decided I don't like the new tourism mechanic at all. It seems like in order to win with it you have to have lots of cities and/or have a science lead to get to the tourism boosting things. This was kind of a shock to me as I decided to play Venice as a tall empire. I was unable to get influential with everyone till turn 550, and the very last civ was the Netherlands which I was forced to basically knock out of the game because they were also going for a cultural victory.

This is pretty lovely in my mind. Cultural victory used to be about having a small empire and was less concerned with tech and killing people off. Now it's win condition is pretty much the same as every other win condition: "Have the biggest and best cities, the most tech, and kill anyone who gets in your way"

Anyone find differently? This was on King and I did make some mistakes, but overall I just felt like I could easily win with other conditions (domination, diplomacy, etc) before winning with culture despite going for tourism the whole game.

Venice is not a good Civ to go for tourism at all. I won an Emperor game as Morocco via Tourism pretty easily. Won an Immortal last night as Venice via diplomacy.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mwip57 posted:

I seem to be in a similar situation with my current game as poland, Japan is also going for a tourism victory and has been enjoying his continent by himself, getting a lot more cities than I have. I can just barely produce more tourism than he does right now (just about to transition into atomic era). I might just have to try going for a diplomatic victory instead.

I don't dislike it atm, it's just a different kind of victory than it was before. All the AI's are also best buddies, which is a bit weird, except everyone hated and destroyed the Zulus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Honestly, AI happiness generally seems to hang in the same range as mine. :shobon:

To answer the original question: the point of having some Tourism when you're not going for cultural victory is that you can chip away at the unhappiness you're getting from culture-oriented civs with different ideologies.

Mwip57 posted:

Tall culture has always been a slow victory and tech was always pretty important on real difficulties. Kind of hard to win a culture victory in G&K if you're just starting to roll out broadcast towers while someone's building Hubble. Also I'm pretty sure wide puppet culture was the fastest way to get culture wins pre-BNW, so yes it did pay to have a big empire and kill people off.

So far in BNW I haven't done a strict tall game (I like my megacities, but delicious food caravans keep encouraging me to settle a few extra cities) but it feels like a 4 city culture game should rock pretty hard. I've done a 7-city culture win and a 5-city science win, and I think if I had focused culture/tourism on the science game that I'd have done fine going for a culture win. Remember that in BNW tech costs scale with number of cities, so tall civs have an easier time competing on tech.

EDIT: The game feels a lot slower now, I got the science win on something like turn 330 and absolutely no one was within range of victory (the first World Leader vote was a turn or two away, but no one had enough money to buy all the city-state votes needed.) This is standard speed and immortal and there were some very healthy AI players in the game, which pre-BNW would probably mean a loss when launching that late.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 19, 2013

• Locked thread