Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Well, I am shark started sending out refunds.

Edit: for star wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I hadn't been record shopping for loving ages but I went today and jesus h christ it was the best morning ever. He had just gotten in 1000+ records from Japan (lots and lots of prog and classic rock, it was a blast to browse through) all in super condition. I came out with these:

I have been looking for Red for aaaages. It's a UK original (so that completes my UK first era Crimson collection) and it was only $25. They constantly sell for upwards of $80 so I am well stoked :c00l:

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
drat I'm jealous of all that, Red is a really, really great album and to get it for that price really is a steal.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

landofcake posted:

drat I'm jealous of all that, Red is a really, really great album and to get it for that price really is a steal.

Yeah, it's the kinda thing I'd have happily paid close to $100 for if I had have found it before this. The Japanese stuff they had was insane, like 3 copies of In The Court, 1 of Larks' Tongues, I saw at least 3 In The Wake of Poseidons, a couple of copies of USA. I might go back after my pay next week and pick up a copy of ITCotCK (I have 3 copies but they all sound like poo poo). There was also like, Led Zeppelin I, II and IV with OBI strips and stuff.

e: Someone is selling their copy of the white album, numbered "A 0000001"

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 18, 2013

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Weren't an inordinate number of the A0000001 copies of The Beatles pressed so they could give them out as gifts? In terms of true rarity, I'd rather have an A0000002 or similarly low number. Still, the copy for sale probably has some sort of interesting history attached to it.

Edit: I'm an idiot, this is all answered by reading the description of the auction in the link.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This just came in today! :)

It's a bit shorter then the extended cut I have at home but it just means I listen to the song more and more. The cover is very well done too - stripped of a lot of the elements and its even more haunting then the original.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vintersorg posted:

This just came in today! :)

It's a bit shorter then the extended cut I have at home but it just means I listen to the song more and more. The cover is very well done too - stripped of a lot of the elements and its even more haunting then the original.

I got a little note too. Mine said "Thanks so much for your purchase. I hope you enjoy it! This reissue means a lot to me. (heart symbol) Mona" I thought it was pretty cool.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Maybe a dumb question, but who is Mona?
edit: oh, for Mon Amie Records? I thought that was written on the jacket and Mona was an artist or something.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I have recently gotten into vinyl and I have some pretty dumb questions!

1. The record stores around here (Indianapolis) seem pretty bad. I'm interested in $10-20 used records, but all they've got are terrible $1 records and a mediocre selection of new vinyl. They have a rotating selection of newly arrived used records from which I've managed to snag a few things, but for the most part the shops seem pretty disappointing. They all have Discogs and eBay stores, and they sell most of the stuff I would want through those outlets. I could order from there and pick up in store, but at that point I feel like I might as well just find the cheapest price online. I guess my question is: is this how most record shops operate now? I'd like to support my local stores, but if they're gonna make me buy it online then I don't feel like they give a poo poo about local customers.

2. How do you clean a record? The OP isn't very helpful. The only other person I know who is into vinyl uses an Okki Nokki, and I don't have $600 to drop on a record cleaner. I'd use his, but he lives 10 hours away. I've seen brushes and solutions at shops. Anyone have opinions on what works best?

3. Are there any good websites for learning more about audio and turntable equipment? I've done some Google research that has been a little helpful, but I haven't found any in depth kind of stuff. I never got into sound systems as a kid, so I'm learning everything new. Right now I'm using a a speaker/receiver setup from the mid 80's and a cheapo Audio Technica LP60 turntable. The whole setup cost me $60, which seems like a reasonable deal. It works fine for me now, and I'd like to get a better understanding of how/why more expensive equipment is better before I start upgrading.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

camoseven posted:

2. How do you clean a record? The OP isn't very helpful. The only other person I know who is into vinyl uses an Okki Nokki, and I don't have $600 to drop on a record cleaner. I'd use his, but he lives 10 hours away. I've seen brushes and solutions at shops. Anyone have opinions on what works best?

I don't know how to answer your other questions, but I personally found that a quick spit and polish works best.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

It probably depends on the type of dirty too, though. If it's just got some grimy spots or whatever a good wipe with a microfibre cloth should help (it did with my copy of Revolver) but if the grooves are filled with dirt and poo poo you probably need a more thorough clean, like the vacuum machines or wood glue method (I have never done this but apparently done properly it makes a big difference).

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I just kiss my records with lip gloss (or chapstick if you dont got any) and it gets all the flakes and stuff off the groves and they stick to your lips so then I use my vacuum on my lips and its like I'm in a cartoon.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

For the first time I'm experiencing what must be a common feeling for someone who likes to buy Vinyl ... that something you really, really like got released on Vinyl only and it's now become exceptionally expensive because it was limited to so few copies.

I desperately want a copy of μ-Ziq's "Somerset Avenue Tracks (1992-1995)", but because so few were printed we're now into insane price gouging (they start at £65 on Discogs) :(

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Everything I've bought has been used, and most of them have at lest a few grease/fingerprint spots on them, and they are all dusty. Some of them are so bad that the stylus has a huge ball of dust hanging off of it when the record ends.

Also, one of my speakers seems to have died, so I guess I'll need to look into upgrading sooner than I thought!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

camoseven posted:

most of them have at lest a few grease/fingerprint spots on them, and they are all dusty. Some of them are so bad that the stylus has a huge ball of dust hanging off of it when the record ends.
This can probably be solved with a microfibre cloth and record cleaning brush

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
http://yeproc.11spot.com/sale.html

Yep Roc are having a $10 LP sale. I would recommend The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Doctor Cave posted:

Yep Roc are having a $10 LP sale. I would recommend The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker.

It's cheesy as hell but I love that Los Straitjackets album on there too.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Why do some records come in a paper sleeve and also have like a cardboard folder that's empty? Am I supposed to throw the paper sleeve away and keep the record in the cardboard?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doctor Cave posted:

Thank you so much for linking this. Their Travellers in Space and Time album is also great.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

beergod posted:

Why do some records come in a paper sleeve and also have like a cardboard folder that's empty? Am I supposed to throw the paper sleeve away and keep the record in the cardboard?

This can't be real. This can't be real. This can't be real. *rocks back and forth* Can't risk it.

Put the record in the paper sleeve them put the paper sleeve with the record in it into the cardboard folder (jacket).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
There's like a cardboard folder within the jacket.

Etc by bpetiprin, on Flickr

beergod fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 20, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

7lip posted:

This can't be real. This can't be real. This can't be real. *rocks back and forth* Can't risk it.

Put the record in the paper sleeve them put the paper sleeve with the record in it into the cardboard folder (jacket).

Are you talking about reissues? Because of alot of them come with a thick paper sleeve that's meant to replicate the original inserts, but the record is actually in a poly-lined paper sleeve. Basically, what you're talking about is probably just a fancy insert and for Christ's sake leave the record in the regular sleeve it came in.

edit: Also old MoFi pressings used to have a thick paper folder in the album cover to prevent ringwear (the irony being that this caused seam splits, which is most likely why they don't do that anymore). I'm guessing they weren't the only ones who ever did this.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

7lip posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about like how Unknown Pleasures does it with a paper fancy sleeve. I don't think he means "sleeve" as in the jacket.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
I've never even heard sound from a vinyl... I've always wanted to start a collection though. New hobby!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

numbs posted:

I've never even heard sound from a vinyl... I've always wanted to start a collection though. New hobby!

Hope you've got a ton of disposable cash!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hope you've got a ton of disposable cash!

And some level of autism.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

And some level of autism.

And a taste for whipped cream.

And other delights.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
Found these at an antique store in rural PA, of all places. Velvet Underground is the '85 Verve repress but the other two are original pressings. $5 apiece.

By the way, if you haven't heard Song Cycle you need to get on that poo poo.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Song Cycle is SO loving good; I'd love to find an original pressing some day. Discover America is pretty great too.

Also, for all the Italians Do It Better heads itt, just a heads-up that they finally updated their webstore with the represses of After Dark and B/E/A/T/B/O/X. Down to about 100ish copies of each (from a pressing of like 3000, too), so anyone who's interested should act quick.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Song Cycle is one of my very favourite albums and I was really glad Bella Union re-issued it last year, along with some other Van Dyke Parks albums.

E: There is a little but very good and informative book on that album in particular and a lot of history about Van Dyke. http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/van-dyke-parks-song-cycle-9780826429179/

I have read over 10 of the 33 1/3 series, they can be a hit or a miss but this one is very good if you like the album.

von Braun fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 21, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Will they replace your worn out copy with 2 new copies?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I don't know if anyone is interested but the two releases by Concert Silence, a side project of Matthew Cooper (i.e. Eluvium) and Charles Buckingham, are still available from Infraction Records' bandcamp site:

http://infraction.bandcamp.com/album/92207 - "9.22.07"
http://infraction.bandcamp.com/album/rain-furniture - "Rain Furniture"

I have them both, and they are both fantastic, and lovingly packaged, especially "9.22.07". "9.22.07" is three sided, and the forth side is etched, whilst "Rain Furniture" (being an EP) is single sided, with the second side etched.

"9.22.07" is possibly my favourite Eluvium-related release, listen to "Untitled II" from the bandcamp page for a taste. It is beautiful.

"Rain Furniture" is more varied and not as good, but I still think it is excellent. Give "Strange Footing" a listen, it's oddly industrial.

Disclaimer: the lovely pictures are not mine.

shmee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 22, 2013

landofcake
May 7, 2009

Aww ... I tried so hard but I still got outbid on buying Bullhead by the Melvins :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

All Hail West Texas got here today. Amazing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Things I'm sure not to be able to snatch before they sell out:

Mondo's releases of the Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away soundtracks.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh, gee. A release of some great soundtracks can't wait to support the wonderful company putting these ou...

Oh, nevermind.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Oh, gee. A release of some great soundtracks can't wait to support the wonderful company putting these ou...

Oh, nevermind.

Yeah, same reaction.

Oh wow, that's a great idea. Can't wait to make sure that whoever is going through all this effort to get such a niche soundtrack available on vinyl gets financially supp-OH GODDAMMIT

In lighter news,

I just ordered Daughn Gibson - All Hell from a little Dutch shop. Only 400 copies were made and it's kind of hard to find, so I'm really drat happy about this. It's an amazing album, check it out.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 23, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

WASDF posted:

Oh, nevermind.

What's wrong with Mondo?

Edit: And when do these come out...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mondo creates fake rarity on overpriced records. Also their site shits the bed every time they sell a new release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not for records, just posters.

You can easily grab those when they go on sale. For instance, the Drive one was up for at least 30 minutes.