Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you know liberal-arts colleges at all, Pomona is a Big Deal. From Wikipedia: "The 2013 annual ranking of U.S. News & World Report categorizes Pomona as 'most selective' and ranks it tied for the 4th best liberal arts college in the nation (and 5th for "Best Value")."

Who in this thread went to Pomona, or mentioned it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Arch Stanton posted:

It's almost as if you have to take a complete, rounded, intentional approach instead of "beep boop complete CS degree, cash checks."

Exactly, I don't care what degree you have. If you do literally nothing but attend classes for 4 years and then whine about how you were "lied to" and poo poo when getting a job is tough you did it to yourself. This goes for basket weavers and engineers alike.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GidgetNomates posted:

Right now almost no college degrees will land you well-paying jobs. Very few college graduates are laying well-paying jobs. A lot of college graduates aren't landing any jobs, especially not in their field. I graduated with a degree in CS not too long ago and I'm still waiting for the companies beating down my door offering me jobs that I was promised by literally every person who told me I picked the "right" major and that everyone who majored in English was stupid. I also have English-major and theatre-major friends that did get jobs in their field right out of college. It's almost like...picking a certain major doesn't determine your success!
Demand for devs right now is absurd. To be honest you have to screw things up pretty badly to not get a job with a CS degree now (do zero extracurriculars/work outside of class, or get a really bad gpa, or maybe be really horribly neckbearded). Maybe you should come to the newbie jobs thread in CoC?

Arch Stanton posted:

It's almost as if you have to take a complete, rounded, intentional approach instead of "beep boop complete CS degree, cash checks."
Yup. Really I don't think so-called "unemployable" degrees are bad, per se; they just mean you have to work that much harder at developing marketable skills outside of your degree. That's the part that many people miss. Of course certain sectors of the economy (journalism) and/or parts of the country are particularly bad off.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pfirti86 posted:

Who in this thread went to Pomona, or mentioned it?

Benny went to Cal Poly Pomona. Maybe that poster confused the two schools.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Shear Modulus posted:

I certainly did, i never botherd to google but those are actually different

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shear Modulus posted:

Ooops. I did indeed. Sorry about that.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Stealthgerbil posted:

Benny you should just sell drugs. At least that way you can sit at home and read comics all day and smoke weed. You would make a lot of money and meet interesting people.

You think he's competent enough to sell drugs? Every drug dealer I know is The Coolest Guy On The Block. That just doesn't sound like benny.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

How's it going, Benny? Has Target given you more hours?

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
I think he might have gotten into the picking up sticks business full time.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Manic Mailman posted:

I think he might have gotten into the picking up sticks business full time.

Dude, he's renovating the sticks. Get it right.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
I think he might break a bone while doing the yard work and have to quit his other works.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Jizznastics posted:

I think he might break a bone while doing the yard work and have to quit his other works.

Nah he can just negotiate workplace accomodations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Is this code for "tell them I'm hung over and can't come in"?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

docbeard posted:

Is this code for "tell them I'm hung over and can't come in"?

I'd also like to point out that this thought occurred to him during his 90 day probationary period.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

adventure in the sandbox posted:

christ can't wait for that post. "So i am going in to talk to my father about my workmans comp. lawsuit any advice?"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AcidRonin posted:

christ can't wait for that post. "So i am going in to talk to my father about my workmans comp. lawsuit any advice?"

I can legit see him doing this, since his initial reaction to his Mom getting upset about the TV was to call the cops.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I can legit see him doing this, since his initial reaction to his Mom getting upset about the TV was to call the cops.

I mean i am still kind of reeling over "I am going into my father’s bedroom office today to discuss what kind of pizza i would like to be paid in MAH SALLARAY along with the sort of beer we will drink benefits that i will receive wearing my pj's my finest Armani suit.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny hasn't posted up in almost 10 days. Benny, if a tree fell on you, can I have your comix?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Benny, give us a writing sample. I question your writing ability because you hired a content writer to write you content, for consideration, in regards to a content writing job.

I get that your more "relaxed" with your writing on Internet forums. I'm more "relaxed" when I play my girlfriend in tennis, as opposed to a tournament, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna play with my eyes closed.

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

I'm rooting for your mom. She will throw out your stuff sooner or later.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

cname posted:

Benny, give us a writing sample. I question your writing ability because you hired a content writer to write you content, for consideration, in regards to a content writing job.

I get that your more "relaxed" with your writing on Internet forums. I'm more "relaxed" when I play my girlfriend in tennis, as opposed to a tournament, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna play with my eyes closed.
Afterall, It's not easier for a musician to play out of tune.

Walter Reuthless
Oct 26, 2006

Problems on Purpose

cname posted:

Here's the first chapter from his 'life masterpiece'.

edit

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Jesus wept that is loving hilarious because I live in San Diego. I might have been nicer to Benny if I knew he was writing a lovely 80s movie about El Cajon, hahahahaha. Sorry Benny, they already filmed a tough cop movie here at the convention center called Demolition Man in the 90s. Sylvester Stallone cursing up a storm for paper to wipe his rear end trumps anything in what you're putting out.

Blade Runner 2: Meth Runner.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Rubycutter posted:

Take that off. I let you look at that but not once did I ever give you permission to post it elsewhere. I've endured a lot of crap over here on E/N, but the last thing, the very last thing I need, is some two-faced snake like you posting my stuff on the net without my consent. I've been ignoring this thread for weeks hoping it would die in the archives but I'm here to tell you to take that off.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 26, 2013

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I have such an urge to red-pen that. Not even from a style/content standpoint, but to clean up the wordiness and bad grammar.

If you weren't an English major, I wouldn't even bring it up, because writing is hard and lots of people need professional editors to help clean up their prose. But people pride themselves on traits, not in them, and "overcast" is an adjective, not a noun.

Benny, you've said your weird typos and malapropisms are because you don't care about speaking properly on the Internet, but if they show up in your creative writing, too, then that excuse won't fly.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Benny, have you ever read On Writing? The first half is a pastiche of images and events from Stephen King's life that affected what kind of writer he became but the second half is emminently readable and conversational advice on writing and process. I read it last week and immediately benefitted. I've read about 400 pages of paperback a day since and reading with skills building in mind? Night and day.

It is excellent and emminently readable. I cannot recommend it enough.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hey Benny if that got shared against your wishes by someone who you shared it with privately that sucks, and I'm sorry. I figured you had it up on another forum somewhere.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

natetimm posted:

Hey Benny if that got shared against your wishes by someone who you shared it with privately that sucks, and I'm sorry. I figured you had it up on another forum somewhere.
Yeah, it's got to be pretty uncomfortable.

And to comment on it, it (this is a good thing, btw) gives me 'hardboiled detective story' vibes at a few points. You ever read Ray Chandler and the like Benny? He in particular has some cool stories about a PI named Philip Marlowe.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 26, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, it's got to be pretty uncomfortable.

And to comment on it, it (this is a good thing, btw) gives me 'hardboiled detective story' vibes at a few points. You ever read Ray Chandler and the like Benny? He in particular has some cool stories about a PI named Philip Marlowe.
I've read two Chandler books: The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely. On top of that, I've read bits of The Simple Art of Murder from him as well. I've also read both William Gibson's Neuromancer and Alfred Bester's The Stars, My Destination. Three of those books were assigned reading, but it instilled in me a deep appreciation for hardboiled fiction; noir and cyberpunk especially. I hope to take from them and develop my own style. And until it's taken off, I might as well go on to say that I'm working on getting five chapters out of the way before I feel comfortable sharing it in any capacity. That up there is essentially Ch. 1.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
You know, hard boiled cyberpunk would actually be pretty cool.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 26, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Accretionist posted:

You know, hard boiled cyberpunk would actually be a pretty cool.
Thanks :hfive: I hope that my writing is less "Neuromancer" and more "Looper"; less Verhoven and more Mann. If that makes any sense.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
It's not terrible, though it could use some work, which is what peer criticism groups are for. Benny, I think you should find some peer review groups in your area and actually let people's eyes on your work instead of fearing it so much.

For instance,

"Years of climate change had brought about a strange phenomenon. Like most cities located close to the ocean, San Diego's skyline was mostly overcast but unlike, say London, the overcast burned out at about ten in the morning. Nowadays, San Diego had a near constant overcast that lasted all day while London was now a rather sunny town. "

You have a time skip description here, but there's a glaring thing missing

"Years of climate change had brought about a strange phenomenon. Like most cities located close to the ocean, San Diego's skyline was mostly overcast but unlike, say London, the overcast burned out at about ten in the morning. Nowadays, San Diego had a near constant overcast that lasted all day while London was now a rather sunny town. "

The bolded sentence is written like you're speaking to someone who KNOWS how it is today. It's not an obvious description of a previous state of time until you get to the "Nowadays" and it's almost like whiplash. The immediate response is, you just said it burns off at ten, but what is this, is that the past or something? All you need is some indicator. Like a 'years ago', or 'back in the day' or if you want to use the characters voice of narration a 'When I was a kid' or if it's even older than that (probably not if gas is only 8 dollars a gallon, you might want to up that to something more, it's already $8+ in the UK) you could use the characters voice to say something like 'My mom told me it used to'

Not everyone you meet is going to like what you write, but you DO need other eyes on your work. I get the feeling, especially with growing up in the Chino area, that you've always been smarter than your peers. So they see what you write, say that it's good, and you move on. However, when you come across a larger community like Something Awful you'll find you're closer to the middle of the pack and that's why you're getting ripped on so hard. You went from being told your work was really good, and now you're hearing that it's not.

Here's the rub, if you put some work into it, and stop fearing rejection, it could be even better, possibly even great.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Benny I'm chiming in to remind you that it has been 6-7 months since the night you almost lost your comics. Half a year and you're still postin from moms house. You don't want to leave, you will never leave.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dead Cow posted:

It's not terrible, though it could use some work, which is what peer criticism groups are for. Benny, I think you should find some peer review groups in your area and actually let people's eyes on your work instead of fearing it so much.

For instance,

You have a time skip description here, but there's a glaring thing missing

The bolded sentence is written like you're speaking to someone who KNOWS how it is today. It's not an obvious description of a previous state of time until you get to the "Nowadays" and it's almost like whiplash. The immediate response is, you just said it burns off at ten, but what is this, is that the past or something? All you need is some indicator. Like a 'years ago', or 'back in the day' or if you want to use the characters voice of narration a 'When I was a kid' or if it's even older than that (probably not if gas is only 8 dollars a gallon, you might want to up that to something more, it's already $8+ in the UK) you could use the characters voice to say something like 'My mom told me it used to'

Not everyone you meet is going to like what you write, but you DO need other eyes on your work. I get the feeling, especially with growing up in the Chino area, that you've always been smarter than your peers. So they see what you write, say that it's good, and you move on. However, when you come across a larger community like Something Awful you'll find you're closer to the middle of the pack and that's why you're getting ripped on so hard. You went from being told your work was really good, and now you're hearing that it's not.

Here's the rub, if you put some work into it, and stop fearing rejection, it could be even better, possibly even great.
Thanks :hfive: I think I'll put this on CC then for more advice.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Benny, is the whole "working for your cousin" thing happening, or are you picking up more shifts at Target, or are you doing any freelance writing stuff on Textbroker or whatever?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

I've read two Chandler books: The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely. On top of that, I've read bits of The Simple Art of Murder from him as well. I've also read both William Gibson's Neuromancer and Alfred Bester's The Stars, My Destination. Three of those books were assigned reading, but it instilled in me a deep appreciation for hardboiled fiction; noir and cyberpunk especially. I hope to take from them and develop my own style. And until it's taken off, I might as well go on to say that I'm working on getting five chapters out of the way before I feel comfortable sharing it in any capacity. That up there is essentially Ch. 1.

A humorous take on detective stories with a crapload of occult and fantasy thrown in can be found in the Dresden Files. There's certainly a fair amount of tongue-in-cheek humor in it as well. It may not be your thing if you're looking for a more serious tone, though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

AlbieQuirky posted:

Benny, is the whole "working for your cousin" thing happening, or are you picking up more shifts at Target, or are you doing any freelance writing stuff on Textbroker or whatever?

He said he was ignoring the thread in the hopes of it getting archived, so
A. He's not going to answer, but
B. probably "no" to all of the above.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Rubycutter posted:

Benny, you should get forums poster Haoma to help you flesh this out a bit, the guy is a serious wizard when it comes to critiquing works in your style.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been ignoring this thread for weeks hoping it would die in the archives

Noooo but I went hog wild!! Don't give up on us now, Benny! Underneath the pile of dicks we're really rooting for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
That's really not cool in posting something private Benny trusted you with. Come on, dogpiling and chewing him out is one thing, but that's just a dick move.

• Locked thread