Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, don't make the mistake I did and go ahead and fill both skill paths on each weapon. One will suffice for being able to equip the next QL. Of course, by the time you're doing Issue 7 stuff, you should have accumulated enough action points to fill both rows on all your weapons, and maybe an auxilliary or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I think Chaos might be an exception to that because defensive cooldowns are really good for soloing and Fleeting Fortress makes the Chaos ones significantly better.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I bought this during the Steam sale day too, and I'm liking it so far. The arcadey combat and "deck" style ability bar remind me a bit of Guild Wars, in a good way. Also, two minutes into the first real mission and I have to jump on top of my grandpa's old car in order to attract zombies...

(for reference :allears:)

I'm Lutha on Grim. If there's one big goon cabal, go ahead and send me an invite.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I wasted a bunch of AP trying different weapons out, but I think I've fallen in love with Hammers. Here's what I'm running around with right now:

Hammers 4 (DPS/Momentum path, so every 5th hit does 16% more damage)
Shotgun 2 (shotty equipped solely for Hit & Run)

Smash (Hammer builder)
Haymaker (Single-taget Hammer consumer)
Hell to Pay (AoE/column Hammer consumer)
Stonewalled (+40% Block for 5 seconds)
Shockwave (AoE/column elite knockdown)

Hard Impact (+10% Hammer damage)
Below the Belt (Smash reduces enemy damage up to 30%, Weakens)
Gunsmoke (Does damage when I Weaken a mob)
Brawler (Increased Crit damage)
Elemental Force (Every 8th attack is gauranteed to crit)
Lick Your Wounds (Small/short HOT any time I hit a mob)
Hit & Run (If enemy dies with shotgun charges on it, it explodes)

Haymaker+Momentum+Hard Impact+Weaken+Gunsmoke+Brawler+Elemental Force= :black101:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

If you go to the record store in Ealdwic, you can see this band listed around the middle of the winners of the music contest they held in March.

I guess they were the big winners. And it's drat awesome how they worked it in.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
That band actually entered a separate song for the contest. The devs heard the lullaby at a concert in Montreal and started talking with them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I bought this during the Steam sale day too, and I'm liking it so far. The arcadey combat and "deck" style ability bar remind me a bit of Guild Wars, in a good way. Also, two minutes into the first real mission and I have to jump on top of my grandpa's old car in order to attract zombies...

(for reference :allears:)

I'm Lutha on Grim. If there's one big goon cabal, go ahead and send me an invite.

Are you lumie dragon or templar?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

WarLocke posted:

So I wasted a bunch of AP trying different weapons out, but I think I've fallen in love with Hammers. Here's what I'm running around with right now:

Hammers 4 (DPS/Momentum path, so every 5th hit does 16% more damage)
Shotgun 2 (shotty equipped solely for Hit & Run)

Smash (Hammer builder)
Haymaker (Single-taget Hammer consumer)
Hell to Pay (AoE/column Hammer consumer)
Stonewalled (+40% Block for 5 seconds)
Shockwave (AoE/column elite knockdown)

Hard Impact (+10% Hammer damage)
Below the Belt (Smash reduces enemy damage up to 30%, Weakens)
Gunsmoke (Does damage when I Weaken a mob)
Brawler (Increased Crit damage)
Elemental Force (Every 8th attack is gauranteed to crit)
Lick Your Wounds (Small/short HOT any time I hit a mob)
Hit & Run (If enemy dies with shotgun charges on it, it explodes)

Haymaker+Momentum+Hard Impact+Weaken+Gunsmoke+Brawler+Elemental Force= :black101:

Sticker warning on hammers though; unless you're going to start tanking with them, the higher leveled you get, the more they blow. Especially with knockdowns, which are pretty much useless in higher-level quests, and completely useless in dungeons and raids. I'd also drop Stonewalled, as without defense stats, there really isn't a reason to have a defense active (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this), and there are better "oh poo poo" buttons floating around there. As it is, you should have tons of fun knocking down sandcastles and kicking in zombie/mummy/werewolf teeth until things start going "nope" and knocking you back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

I don't know about him, but I'm Illuminati on Grim and wouldn't mind playing with some goons (if any of you are on close to UK time and my client doesn't bomb every 30 minutes). Nickname is Cyvete.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Protagorean posted:

(someone correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Yeah you are wrong.

Hammers are a great weapon for solo play. One of the best really. Defensive cooldowns are great in solo play even without defensive stats (actually especially without defensive stats, which you will hardly ever use in solo play). Though trucker is just better than stonewalled in every way shape or form.

Impairs are kind of hit-or-miss with mobs. The nightmare zone mobs (which you will start to see with frequency in transylvania) are immune to impairs, but mobs that aren't immune, particularly ones with skills you want to interrupt, are much easier with impairs. Though for the elite slot, you won't have much of any option until you can get all the way down to one of the outer ring elites.

You are going to want to phase out lick your wound soon. Its a great passive in Kingsmouth, but towards the end of savage coast, it just doesn't keep up with much of anything. Also for hammer/blade/chaos the best passive you can possibly pick up is Breakdown which is in one of the outer rings of Chaos (only 9 points once you fill in Chaos' inner wheel).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Breakdown is the one that applies Exposed, right? Is that really useful for solo play? I would have thought things would die before you could get it fully stacked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Breakdown is a stacking (3% per stack up to 10 stacks) damage resist debuff.

Yeah there was some build discussion in mumble last night (in between the people who actually know crap raiding) and I definitely want to grab Breakdown; Combine that with Below the Belt and I am doing 30% more damage while enemies are doing 30% less. :getin:

All the abilities I'm using now are just the random crap I've unlocked so far. I've been playing 2-3 days and don't know poo poo, I'm sure it could be optimized better.

Also if you are playing this game and not in mumble you are doing it wrong. So much easier to coordinate with other people and get answers to random dumb questions. Like 'wtf is this song the church dude was going to sing' :saddowns:

VVV: Yeah I figured it out eventually with hints from Zepho (IIRC, mumble overlay doesn't work and I'm still learning voices). Was a real eye-opener, I'm used to MMO quests just being 'go here, click on glowy object' - had a similar brain fart moment with the glyphs around the outside of the church as well later on.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 19, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WarLocke posted:

Yeah there was some build discussion in mumble last night (in between the people who actually know crap raiding) and I definitely want to grab Breakdown; Combine that with Below the Belt and I am doing 30% more damage while enemies are doing 30% less. :getin:

All the abilities I'm using now are just the random crap I've unlocked so far. I've been playing 2-3 days and don't know poo poo, I'm sure it could be optimized better.

Also if you are playing this game and not in mumble you are doing it wrong. So much easier to coordinate with other people and get answers to random dumb questions. Like 'wtf is this song the church dude was going to sing' :saddowns:

It's on the hymnal board in the church. If you must know, it's 576.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

WarLocke posted:

Like 'wtf is this song the church dude was going to sing' :saddowns:

You are truly bad at churches. :colbert:

So is there any sort of level in this game ? Or does it just go on forever so that you could theoretically unlock everything ?

On the same note : Is there a way to see how strong the mobs are compared to yourself ?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

You are truly bad at churches. :colbert:

I haven't been inside a church for something like 20 years now. Pretty sure I'd start smoldering if I did. :evil:

quote:

So is there any sort of level in this game ? Or does it just go on forever so that you could theoretically unlock everything ?

According to the mumble crew, yeah, although it would take some ridiculous amount of AP. Numbers I saw thrown around were 300 AP to unlock the inner wheel, then ~150-180 AP for each wedge of the outer wheel (54 wedges = 8100 to 9720 AP).

quote:

On the same note : Is there a way to see how strong the mobs are compared to yourself ?

I would like to know this as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yes, every character can unlock every weapon and ability. It does take a lot of AP but special events like the Anniversary one help a lot, and quests start awarding way more XP (and therefore SP and AP) the further in you get. Many of us old-timers have the full wheel unlocked and only stop sitting on fully capped SP and AP for a little while when a new aux weapon comes out. When you get the full wheel unlocked you get an outfit reward (Panoptic Core, AKA Tron Suit).

EDIT: Mob nameplates have a lot of information including their strength relative to you. There are three things to look at:

1. Enemy DOT color

The color of the dot -- NOT the name -- tells you a mob's strength relative to you:

Blue - Pushover.

White - Normal. You can probably take 1-2 of these at a time without a problem.

Yellow - A bit tougher. You can kill it, but it might be a bit more difficult, especially if your build is bad or it gets the drop on you. 2+ of these might kill you.

Red - Significantly tougher than you. Avoid solo.

Orange - This mob is part of a quest. The color alone will not tell you much about its relative strength, although they are usually dangerous-but-doable if the quest is appropriate for your level of equipment.

2. Enemy dot type

Single dot - standalone mob. Think of this as 1 enemy.

Three dots in a triangle - a group of weaker enemies. Think of this as 1 enemy. Aggroing one will aggro the whole group.

Skull - Dangerous monster.

Crown - Rare or group mob.

Skull with crow - Dangerous rare or group mob.

Flag - Mob is part of a quest.

I'm a little fuzzy on the skull/crown/skullcrown stuff but I think that's right.

Skull with * - Named rarespawn. Killing this MIGHT net you an achievement -- more on that in a moment. Killing all of them in the game will get a clothing reward. Catch: these rarespawns are on respawn timers. They will spawn sometime after being killed, usually 15-30 minutes (not quite always, I think), but it isn't always the right one -- sometimes a "placeholder" will spawn instead. This placeholder will be pretty much the same, but it will have a different (also unique) name, and will not award the achievement. These can be infuriating when trying to locate the "real" one. If you want the achievement and only the placeholder is up, you'll need to kill the placeholder and wait for the respawn, and hope the placeholder doesn't just spawn again.

3. Enemy NAME color

Enemy name color has nothing whatsoever to do with its strength, only its aggro tendencies.

Green - This mob is friendly. It can't be attacked and won't attack you. Note that some quest mobs start out this way and turn hostile for storyline/quetsline reasons.

Yellow - Nonhostile. Won't attack first but will turn hostile if attacked.

Red - Hostile. Will attack if you get close enough, or you hit it first.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 19, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

WarLocke posted:

VVV: Yeah I figured it out eventually with hints from Zepho (IIRC, mumble overlay doesn't work and I'm still learning voices).
I do have one of the more distinctive voices in Mumble. I don't remember mentioning it but I'll take the credit anyway~

Fathis Munk posted:

If you're doing a quest, the difficulty it says it is usually a good indication of how hard the mobs will be in relation to your present gear. Nightmare mob quests stay on Hard difficulty permanently, but everything else changes in relation to amount of Skill Points in some way we don't really understand yet.

Also speaking of Skill Points and AP, there's a limit of 40 SP and 175 AP, so if you've done a bunch of quests all at once you should remember to spend them.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 19, 2013

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.
All creatures have an icon/dot next to their name. If the icon is:

White: way below your gear level, easy kill
Green: easy compared to your gear level
Yellow: a good match, equal or slightly better than your gear level
Orange: hard compared to your gear level
Red: very hard compared to your gear level

The icon itself can denote what "kind" of mob it is. Whether it's a "group mob" (hangs out in groups), a quest mob, a rare, etc.

I guess "technically" the color scene would be:

White: Easy
Green: Normal
Yellow: Hard
Orange: Very Hard
Red: Impossible

But meh, I don't trust those levels, they're usually a level or two easier than their stated difficulty.

killingtime fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 19, 2013

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

The dots next to their name are an indicator.

Green = :aaa: I'm going to die instantly!
Blue = I'm going to die in a few hits!
White = I'm about the same as you!
Yellow = I'm slightly stronger than you!
Orange = I'm going to kick your rear end!
Red = :ohdear: WHAT ARE YOU DOING RUN AWAY

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a way to get mumble's overlay to play nice with TSW, by the way?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Stop running TSW in DX11 mode. Otherwise, nope.

It's a pretty ugly overlay, so I wouldn't worry too much.

killingtime
May 21, 2004
Passionate kiss like spider web, lead to undoing of fly.
Oh thing to note. If the mob's name is Orange, it's a quest mob, and almost invariably does not provide experience. So, avoid killing them unless you're on that quest :) Generally they're pretty difficult for the level. You think it's a pretty tough fight and you'd get good loots, but nope, nothing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Len posted:

I guess I'm Lutha the Lumie :v:

killingtime posted:

Oh thing to note. If the mob's name is Orange, it's a quest mob, and almost invariably does not provide experience. So, avoid killing them unless you're on that quest :)

Avoid them while not on the quest...just because they're difficult and don't give you anything?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Avoid them while not on the quest...just because they're difficult and don't give you anything?

Also because if you kill them you gently caress up the quest for the person who's actually on it (until it respawns, I assume)?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

They don't give you anything if not on the quest.

WarLocke posted:

Also because if you kill them you gently caress up the quest for the person who's actually on it (until it respawns, I assume)?

Actually the game is pretty generous with that stuff. If a player was actually on the quest and engaged with it, if you kill it they still get quest credit. There isn't kill-stealing in TSW.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

macnbc posted:

Actually the game is pretty generous with that stuff. If a player was actually on the quest and engaged with it, if you kill it they still get quest credit. There isn't kill-stealing in TSW.

I think this happened to me on one of the first quests I did. I was supposed to seek out some guy and as I see him I realize he's an undead and somebody else is fighting him. The other players kills him and then my quest ticker checks him off :haw:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A lot of those "find" quests just require you to target them, you don't actually have to kill them. And if any newer people haven't found it out yet, the objective "Give X Y." just requires you to target them up close, maybe double-click if it's being stubborn.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
So I just finished the Last Night series or whatever on Solomon Island, and am being whisked off to Egypt. However, everything there cons red and all the missions are Devastating. I'm in QL5-6 gear (mostly 5 right now), which was plenty for the story quest inbetween. What gives/what am I missing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

greth posted:

So I just finished the Last Night series or whatever on Solomon Island, and am being whisked off to Egypt. However, everything there cons red and all the missions are Devastating. I'm in QL5-6 gear (mostly 5 right now), which was plenty for the story quest inbetween. What gives/what am I missing?

The con for mobs/missions is based on the aggregate of your highest weapon/talisman skills. Before heading off to Egypt, I'd recommend having 2 weapons and all 3 talismans at rank 6 (weapons only need 1 of their 2 tracks at this rank). Just run a few miscellaneous Blue Mountain missions. It'll happen pretty quick.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

The con for mobs/missions is based on the aggregate of your highest weapon/talisman skills. Before heading off to Egypt, I'd recommend having 2 weapons and all 3 talismans at rank 6 (weapons only need 1 of their 2 tracks at this rank). Just run a few miscellaneous Blue Mountain missions. It'll happen pretty quick.

I'd recommend buying the weapons from the Venice vendors in BM (at the Wabanaki camp). Those will last you until Trans, and you should have enough sequins if you've been doing missions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

To anyone needing in the lumi cabal I'll be idling in mumble all night. Just stop in and let me know to sign on and give you an invite. Platbeard in mumble.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

WarLocke posted:

It won't screw anyone up. "Tagging" as far as quest progress goes is given to anyone that hits the mob (loot and xp aren't, but quest mobs don't give those anyway). Even then the respawn on quest mobs is something like 15 seconds. That's the real reason you shouldn't kill quest mobs, if you are in their aggro area, then you are going to have to keep killing them. I can't begin to count the number of times that I killed a quest mob for the quest and then had it respawn and aggro me.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
The worst thing is when you've killed a quest mob, submitted the mission, and you get killed because it respawned while you were reading KG's mission debrief.

greth posted:

What gives/what am I missing?
Come into Mumble and we can run you through the Darkness War dungeon a few times for gear.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zephonith posted:

The worst thing is when you've killed a quest mob, submitted the mission, and you get killed because it respawned while you were reading KG's mission debrief.

Then you get to be like the dead woman in the park!

"I don't care if your guts are hanging out, you can drag yourself 30 yards!" :lol:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

Come into Mumble and we can run you through the Darkness War dungeon a few times for gear.

gently caress that. Come into Mumble and we can run you through Ankh. It's a superior dungeon in every way.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

This game really doesn't work well with 32-bit Windows. I'd been lazy about getting 64-bit set up, so thanks to Funcom for the incentive I guess :v:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
For the newcomers, here's your handy soloing cheat sheet:

- Buy some QL10 glyphs on the auction house and slap them on anything that takes glyphs. Stacking pen rating is particularly hilarious.

- Focus SP mainly on getting a weapon to skill level 9 so you can buy a cheap QL10 on the auction house, you will kill poo poo much faster between the better weapon and not glancing. You don't have to completely forgo talismans, but you should pretty much ignore them unless there are some in your inventory that you can't equip AND you're not glancing at all.

- Aim for about 3000 max HP.

- Stupidly good skills for soloing: Hit & Run (in Kingsmouth at least), Regeneration, Breakdown, Raging Volcano, Clearing the Path, Elemental Force, Trucker, Raging Volcano, Improved Blasts + Shotgun Turret, and any defensive cooldown.

- Melee weapons are absurdly good for soloing because defensive cooldowns give you a huge survival advantage and Breakdown gives you a huge damage advantage.

- Don't do side missions that force you to go out of your way to complete them.

- If you get an item that's not an upgrade, not QL10, and not a blue BoE, vendor it. If you get a rune and it's not "Sacred" or "Pure," vendor it.

- You can repair at any vendor.

- Get sprint upgrades ASAP (Quickened Anima at the faction dealers)

- You can pick your respawn point when you die, also you can kill yourself with /reset combined with the previous fact to get places fast.

- Every zone has a dungeon, find a group for the dungeon in the group finder if you're doing OK in the zone so you can get upgrades and the massive first-time-run XP payout.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Fun Fact: It is possible to solo Last Train to Cairo in under 9 minutes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've come back to this after some friends picked it up in the steam sale (one of them got a bunch of preorder bonuses too, the jammy sod).

I am still loving terrible at it. Can I get anywhere in the late game with shotguns? I got as far as Beseiged Farmlands with shotgun/elemental, but beyond that I just get my poo poo caved in almost instantly. Even going back to Egypt to do the issue 6 missions is a loving slog at times. My build is all about strikes and crits, with weakness & defensive turret for damage reduction and inferno & hurly-burly for aoe.

OneEightHundred posted:

- Aim for about 3000 max HP.
I have 5627 max HP. I'm lacking damage, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

- You can pick your respawn point when you die, also you can kill yourself with /reset combined with the previous fact to get places fast.

This does damage your gear, though, so remember to visit vendors often.

• Locked thread